Welcome, welcome!!!!!  Draw up a chair and sit here by the fire while the assembled company prepares its boasts and plans for the coming month!!!  I have no doubt that many brave deeds are being contemplated right now.  At month's end, many a glorious tale will be told.  And more than a few heroes will find themselves back here to nurse wounds and plan anew.  

I myself am taking a month's leisure to strum a merry tune of an evening and prepare for a long journey, waiting only for the easing of the winter cold before I am bound for the East, to see new lands and seek treasures I've only known of in tales.  No one knows for sure what we will encounter on the way; so I need to prepare quite a number of things:

1) Healing Potions and Bandages

I seem to catch minor illnesses with some frequency, which interferes with strenuous activity and training.  There is a great deal of opinions about what remedies and preparations will prevent one from becoming ill ... or in speeding recovery.  I plan to spend time each day reading at the great library and consulting with the local alchemists about the most effective items to take now and to bring with me on the adventure to come.  

I am a bit frustrated with my frequency of catching the "crud" and plan to do some research into effective ways to improve immunity, adopting tactics that have support of research.  Some are obvious ... like getting good sleep and drinking plenty of water.  But even a quick look at Harvard Health shows me that there are some stones I've left unturned.  If I'm not feeling good, I often don't workout .... or I take it easy ..... so it takes longer to reach goals.  I'm going to find ways to stay on task and working hard longer.  

2) Food

Well, food.  A traveler may find places to eat along the road, but the quality of the victuals is often ...... questionable.  And one might be better served by eating an apple and greens rather than fried porridge.  I am preparing foods to bring with me so that I do not need to rely upon fast food served by the MacDonalds or other similar families.  Their pubs may look inviting, but I've heard tales about their chicken nuggets that would curl your toes.

I've had two interviews for a job in the Twin Cities at the University.  Yea, that doesn't mean that I'll get it, but I started thinking about logistics and remembering that LUNCHES are often a real challenge.  And that dinner can also mean that we go out because we're both tired and not interested in cooking.  So, I'm going to get back into the habit of cooking ahead and preparing Bento Box lunches for each week day.  Even if I'm working on projects on my own time table, this is not a bad thing to do, and it's more interesting than popping a frozen burrito in the microwave to be swilled down with warmed up coffee.  

3) Gear

I've been gathering up traveling clothes for a few weeks.  I've garnered a nice, warm cloak and sturdy hiking boots, suitable for the cold.  But I still need a few changes of shirts and trousers.  And my time-keeping device has entirely lost the band that keeps it on my wrist.  I need to dig through my packs and figure out what I will need for the trip, but I am sure many of my adventuring supplies are worn out or missing.  I've been too long sitting by my fire, strumming a tune on this guitar.  It is time for an adventure!!!

I let my winter gear wear out and not be replaced.  I got a few things for Christmas (parka and boots), but I still need more base layer items and a replacement for my FitBit, especially since for goal #5, I need to be prepared for what February in Minnesota can dish out.  It can be damn cold (-30F) or very snowy, depending upon the year.  

4) Spells

No bard would take to the road .... nor no ranger either ..... without having essential spells memorized.  It's a dangerous world out there, and one never knows if charm or a wolf will be needed to smooth the way.

I am going to finish my personal trainer certification book by the end of February.  I won't be able to take the test until April, which will let me work on memorization, but I want to learn the material and put it to work in my own life.  

5) .... and I shall spend fair days in scouting the way ahead, as much as the snows permit, of course.  

It's best to know the lay of the land .... and start to get toughened up for the long walk.  I'll gradually go out further each day to stretch my legs and get used to traveling in the cold again.  

One thing that helps keep me healthy is getting outside to exercise DAILY.  Even if it is just a 30 minute walk, the fresh air really does seem to help.  This can be a challenge!!!!  And the gear for a February afternoon stroll can weigh more than 10 pounds .... so I'll get a leg up on prepping for a Go Ruck or OCR.  

• Like 8

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Research Immunity Improvement Approaches (6/28)

21%
21%

Daily research and adoption of habits to try to stay healthy more days so that I can do all of the other stuff!!!  I'm assuming we have 4 full weeks this challenge, and I'll do something daily.  My intention is to report what I find in this thread .... summarizing what I find and including recipes where appropriate.  This is kind of a pre-challenge activity to find what changes I'll adopt long term.

Bento Box Baby (8/20)

40%
40%

I have all the materials I need, with the possible exception of a rice cooker.  So, I'll experiment with the recipes I have and find a few favorites that we'll actually eat.  The aim is to bento it at every work-day lunch this month.  Maybe hubby will take advantage of the change???

Gear Up! (3/7)

43%
43%

Items to procure:

• New FitBit
  • Four base layer tops
  • One pair wind-resistant hiking pants
  • Swim suit 

Read Personal Trainer book (6/25 chapters)

24%
24%

Read each NETA preparation chapter and take the review quiz.  

Explore!!! (12/28)

60%
60%

Go outside and walk/hike/explore for 30 minutes daily.

Bonus items:

• 100 geocaches found
  • Level 10 Ingress
  • Average 11K steps by the end of the challenge
  • Like 3

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Ranger Mini-Challenge (who are we kidding, there's nothing mini about a Ranger Challenge!!!!)

My sword still stands in service to Gryffindor House!!!  

L_4HOUSES_Accessories_Patches_HarryPotte

Character: Chris-Tien Jinn

Race: Valkyrie

School:  Gryffindor

Wand: Red maple with dragon heartstring core

Patronus: Snow leopard

Classes:

1. Defense against the dark arts - attend karate class twice in the week
  2. Charms - clean out my late mother's room (at least get a good start on it ...)
  3. Potions - reduce the amount of coffee I drink down to one cup in the morning
  4. Transfiguration - swimming or group water exercise class
  • Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

Bonus goal ......

inspiration

• Like 5

Some kind of Jedi .....

Following along once again.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I humbly request Bento Box lunch food p0rn. :D

Seconded

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Love, love, love this challenge!  You managed to nip all of my favorite aspects of a RPG character-themed challenge in the bud, Chris! 

Really excited to follow along with this challenge and see you build up and develop yourself upon this epic journey.  :)

• Like 2

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I think most of us following fit into that bonus goal.

• Like 3

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I humbly request Bento Box lunch food p0rn.   :D

Seconded

Oh yes, I will take pics!!!  I have a very American Bento box, which I purchased during a very grey part of my life.  The little boxes are bright colors, and one thing I love about preparing lunches this way is that it involves so many vegetables.  

Even as I type, hubby and I have made the first recipe, and the rice is cooking.  I'll post the recipe tomorrow (stir-fried chicken and multi-colored peppers). 

Do I count? Been saying it all the time, so will leave space for someone else to also tell you!

Edit: Add, also interested in those box lunches. I'm running out of ideas for hubby *sigh*.

Elize, you beat me to it!

I was going to say that the bonus goal is already met. ;)

I think most of us following fit into that bonus goal.

Right back at you, guys!!!  This is a great community of support and inspiration!!!

liftothersup

• Like 4

Some kind of Jedi .....

in! and I also am a total sucker for outdoor/cold weather gear, so feel free to ruminate at length during your selection process.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

9c7f1b8edf49a82741c14d9ec7cc3db2.jpg

Today's bento box. Rice, stir fry chicken and peppers, blueberries, and almonds.

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

• Like 11

Some kind of Jedi .....

I started easy with the Chicken and Three-color Pepper Stir-Fry Bento .....  it's best warmed up, but I have eaten it cold.  

Ahead of the blizzard roaring up toward us from the south-west, I drove to the nearest town to the east and walked around to capture Ingress portals .... and I leveled up!!!  So, I can cross that goal off the list.  

• Like 6

Some kind of Jedi .....

in! and I also am a total sucker for outdoor/cold weather gear, so feel free to ruminate at length during your selection process.

I'm in pretty good shape really.  The thing that has me scratching my head a bit is this ....

I got my first ever down parka for Christmas.  I love the lightness!!  I love the length (down to my mid-thighs)!!!! I love the warmth!!!!  But when it is very windy, I notice cold spots.  Should I wear a wind layer UNDER the parka??  

• Like 2

Some kind of Jedi .....

sml_gallery_6631_1321_11998.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Like this?

• Like 8

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

maxresdefault.jpg

Like this?

Well..... I'm sure the other guy was seeing stars.  Could work .....   :playful:

My research at the great library of healers revealed nothing amazing about increasing immunity.  I will continue to dig through tomes and experiment on my own.  But one thing did jump out at me .... sleep.  Since I wear a fitness tracker that tracks sleep habits, I flipped through my data and found .....

I SLEEP between 6 and 7.5 hours per night.  The resident pooka wakes me up frequently, and ALWAYS wants me to get up between 5 am and 6.  So, I'm probably a bit light on the zzzzzs and will start going to bed earlier - like last night.  I went to bed at 9:30 and feel a lot better today already.  

This morning, I'm going to run errands before the snow hits, and then I'll get back to visiting people's threads.  If the site cooperates!!  It was pretty frustrating yesterday .....

Oh, and ....

Here's my thoughts on Groundhog's Day!!!

groundhog

• Like 6

Some kind of Jedi .....