[Yuen] Single focus - OHP

Yuen

Ok... I seem to do my best challenges when I just focus on one thing. My last challenge I tried several different goals and didn't do too great on any of them. I also strained some muscles while doing a BW OHP testing my 1RM. The good news is I got the press with full ROM and minimal 'bounce', the bad news is the strain stuffed up some of my basic movements like muscle ups (esp transition phase) and the top range of motion of chin/pull ups.

So this challenge... I have one goal only. But I've broken it into 3 parts :)

Main Challenge Goal:

Repeat a good form BW(75kg) OHP but this time without straining my back.

Part 1: Train less dumb

Change Grease the Groove training to higher rep work (60kgx5) with occasional tests for max reps (currently 60kgx8)

Only occasionally do days where i build up to a high weight single rep, with the eventual aim to repeat 75kg(1xBW) without injury.

My other training will be squatting and pull/chin ups - but the aim is to maintain them. Any improvement is just icing.

Part 2: Get more sleep

In bed by 10:30pm >50% of the time.

My 18 month old daughter means that I wake up at 6am whether its a workday, weekend or holiday. I only just realised last challenge that I chronically haven't been getting enough sleep for a while. I prefer to go to sleep late and get up late, but my daughter simply won't change her wake up time, so I will have to change my sleeping time instead.

Part 3: Massage/Recovery

I have this expensive but awesome massage chair, which is so damn good for getting those knots out of the upper and middle (only average at lower) back. Yet since I moved house a while ago, the chair has been sitting at my aunt's house doing nothing.

This challenge I will get off my ass and actually move the chair back to my house. It weighs 94kg and is bulky... so it is a bit of a hassle... but I need to move it if I actually want to gain any benefit from the chair.

• Like 1

Sat 30 Jan

Squat 100kg 5x5

In bed by 10:30, but daughter decided to wake up at 5am :( So still feeling sleep deprived :(

Haven't arranged anything for massage chair yet

---

Sun 31 Jan

OHP 60kg 5x5 (4th set attempted max reps = 7)

Looking good to be in bed by 10:30pm

Talked with brother-in-law about helping to move the massage chair.

---

Overall:

I'm feeling the usual burst of enthusiasm that comes with starting a new challenge :)

Also I'm happy to be working on pull ups tomorrow :)

Like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) goals. Something I have to work on for sure.

Lookin' Good!!

I like the simplicity!

Let's knock this challenge out of the park this round, shall we?

Thanks Seven and CM. I'm really hoping simple = successful for this challenge.  :)

Sun 31 Jan

In bed by 10:30.

Mon 1 Feb

Looking good to be in bed by 10:30.

Got a smaller portable massager out of storage and started using it. Looked up rental vans to move the proper massage chair.

Pull ups (slow controlled 'perfect' form) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

Similar style and tempo to the initial pull ups in this video

Chin ups ('regular' but still strict form) 20 - purposely avoided going to failure.

• Like 1

Hi!  Trying to place you - Are you the guy doing incredible muscle-ups?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Subbed.

Good luck with this.

Have you tried doing deep handstand pushups?  If so, do you have any idea of home they translate to the OHP?  I'm hoping to end up my linear progression around 1x BW, but that may just be a pipe dream.  I used to be able to do 5 reps of full depth HSP's though, so there is a chance, I probably have the muscle mass at least (or am close).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Hi!  Trying to place you - Are you the guy doing incredible muscle-ups?

Err I don't know about incredible muscle-ups... but when I'm not injured I can do regular muscle ups without difficulty.

Probably the only 'trick' muscle-up I can do is the slow controlled no-momentum muscle-up.

Machete can do much cooler bodyweight stuff than I can... he is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else on the NF forums for bodyweight skills.

Have you tried doing deep handstand pushups?  If so, do you have any idea of home they translate to the OHP?  I'm hoping to end up my linear progression around 1x BW, but that may just be a pipe dream.  I used to be able to do 5 reps of full depth HSP's though, so there is a chance, I probably have the muscle mass at least (or am close).

Yeah I'm about the same as you - 5 rep max for full ROM wall HSPU.

To me the effort feels about the same as a 90%BW OHP. I didn't make linear progression to BW, It was fast linear to about 80%, then I slowed the pace and dropped reps on the way to 100%. Also my form was so bad at 1xBW on my first attempt, I would be wrong to count it as a proper OHP (severe back arch, utilise bounce/stretch reflex at bottom, therefore no pause at bottom). Since then I have gone back and cleaned up my form to 1xBW.

OHP definitely translated very very well to HSPU gains for me.

Before training OHP, my elevated HSPU looked like this:

Good things: Minimal wall assist. Hair touches ground from 13" elevation

Bad things: I can't pause at all parts of the movement, I relied on momentum or stretch reflexes to get me through the hard parts. Back arches a lot

After OHP I was doing some HSPUs at the airport when my flight got delayed for 5 hours.

On 24" elevated cubes I could do even further ROM till my elbows were at maximum flexion. I could pause at all parts of the motion, including the bottom as well as the toughest 'sticking' point for me a couple of inches above the bottom. My back arch was also less (but not zero).

Love the simplicity challenge.  I'm attempting the same this round!

It is an honour to have the mighty wolverine_4.pngattempting the same style of 4WC!
  • Like 1

Mini thread jack. When my shoulders were at their peak I think I was maxing out around 7 HSPU's (full depth using plates) and I was at or maybe a tad over BW on OHP. Keeping in mind also I rarely ever do OHP for shoulders. I don't really like it as a lift I'm not sure why. Definitely feel like it's more core intensive but there does seem to be quite a bit of carryover.

Good luck on this challenge Yuen. Simple is good. Warriors like simple as we aren't too bright :P

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Hey you, still awesome, if I could predict the future I would say that I will be doing pull ups. Actually with The Cube I have put them in as an accessory. I wanna do them like you when I grow up! :)

Hi Seven! Pull ups have always been one of my favourite exercises since my rock climbing days. They are definitely lots of fun! Good luck in your pull up progress :)

Mini thread jack. When my shoulders were at their peak I think I was maxing out around 7 HSPU's (full depth using plates) and I was at or maybe a tad over BW on OHP. Keeping in mind also I rarely ever do OHP for shoulders. I don't really like it as a lift I'm not sure why. Definitely feel like it's more core intensive but there does seem to be quite a bit of carryover.

Good luck on this challenge Yuen. Simple is good. Warriors like simple as we aren't too bright :tongue:

Thanks for the input Mr Flex Beast Luthor Sir :). I'm thinking my guess at full depth HPSU = 90%BW OHP isn't too far off the mark then

For ease of calculation if we assume our bodyweights are 100kg (I know we aren't... especially me)

You could do 7 reps of HSPU/90kg = calculated 1RM of 108kg (108% BW)

Waldo and I doing 5 reps of HSPU/90kg = calculated 1RM of 101kg (101% BW)

So I can just eek out a BW OHP, where as you are just a tad over BW at your peak.

You doing accessories at all?  Or just the one compound lift and calling it a day?

I'm a lazy prick. I'm only doing one compound lift and calling it a day.

To be completely honest I'm pretty happy with where I am at looks-wise and strength-wise. I don't have a huge motivation to push myself any harder than I am. Also did I mention I'm lazy?

Tues 2 Jan
In bed by 10:30.

Squats 100kgx5x5 (4th set attempt max reps = 8)
Looked up my calendar for an appropriate day to move the massage chair. Looking like Tuesday next week. Will ask my aunt and brother in law at a family dinner on Sunday.

Wed 3 Feb
Looking good to be in bed by 10:30.
OHP 60kgx5x5

Really not feeling it today... I'm just not in the mood for some reason :(

Can I ask how much you weigh?

My guess is 75kg, maybe 80.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

Can I ask how much you weigh?

My guess is 75kg, maybe 80.

Good guess - I'm 75kg (5'9")

Just to add my HSPU and OHP data point, last fall I hit 3 HSPU off parallettes at about 235 lbs BW and had a 225 lb OHP max at the time.

Beast... that must be satisfying to press 2 plates above your head!

Plugging your HSPU data into a 1rm calculator assuming 90%BW, it gave you a 1rm of 224lb... pretty close :)

Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

Yeah lazy probably is a bit inaccurate :)

I'm very consistent with my workouts, I just do very short workouts :)

• Like 1

Machete can do much cooler bodyweight stuff than I can... he is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else on the NF forums for bodyweight skills.

But he like 135lbs.  that matters.  I want to learn how to do a muscle up.  Its high on my to do list.  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

But he like 135lbs.  that matters.  I want to learn how to do a muscle up.  Its high on my to do list.  

Agreed.  Weight matters.  Fran hurts so much more when I am 5 kg heavier than the last time I tried it.  (Lots of pull-ups)

Muscle-up is on my list of feats, but right now my shoulder is still saying NO.

You have big props for being able to do it so nicely.

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

I just like the fact that I"m 5th on the pull up boards and 45# heavier than the next closest to me, and the next 200#+ dude is 15 behind me.  

I think there are a lot of BW stuff I'm close to doing if I could lose a couple more lbs.  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

Thanks for the 'perfect' pull-up video. I am going to alternate more slow, controlled movements into my workouts. Usually i just go for it. Mostly just because I need more variety to keep me from slacking.

Speaking of slacking, maybe that would be a better word than lazy. I am a hard core slacker myself. If I could even become as consistent as you are with one or two things, that would be awesome!

We need to figure out a method of motivation that would be similar to what working out together in person would be. Like a long distance relationship for working out. Minus the trust issues.

What would you guys say to a bodyweight PVP where maybe we could choose one bw exercise per day to see how we do compared to each other? Or bw workout of the week (wod-esque)? Something along those lines for some extra motivation. Any other ideas?

I'll fight you at your kung-fu.  I'm interested in pull ups and anything core-centric like dragon flies and flag progression.

Wheymen

Agreed.  Weight matters.  Fran hurts so much more when I am 5 kg heavier than the last time I tried it.  (Lots of pull-ups)

Muscle-up is on my list of feats, but right now my shoulder is still saying NO.

You have big props for being able to do it so nicely.

Yeah, I agree as well. Weight definitely matters (blah blah muscle's force generation is proportional to its cross-sectional area, but its weight is proportional to its volume blah blah).

Machete still gets mad props imo though. He is still awesome for his weight - anyone that can do multiple reps of one arm pull ups gets mad props. (However the 200lb+ guy who does a OAP gets the maddest of mad props :) )

I just like the fact that I"m 5th on the pull up boards and 45# heavier than the next closest to me, and the next 200#+ dude is 15 behind me.  

I think there are a lot of BW stuff I'm close to doing if I could lose a couple more lbs.  

Oh yeah! Your pull ups definitely deserve mad props :).

Thanks for the 'perfect' pull-up video. I am going to alternate more slow, controlled movements into my workouts. Usually i just go for it. Mostly just because I need more variety to keep me from slacking.

Speaking of slacking, maybe that would be a better word than lazy. I am a hard core slacker myself. If I could even become as consistent as you are with one or two things, that would be awesome!

We need to figure out a method of motivation that would be similar to what working out together in person would be. Like a long distance relationship for working out. Minus the trust issues.

What would you guys say to a bodyweight PVP where maybe we could choose one bw exercise per day to see how we do compared to each other? Or bw workout of the week (wod-esque)? Something along those lines for some extra motivation. Any other ideas?

I'll fight you at your kung-fu.  I'm interested in pull ups and anything core-centric like dragon flies and flag progression.

That sounds like fun!

I personally would prefer that we choose a BW workout of the week rather than day. I don't think I could keep up with a daily one :) We could make it so that you can try the workout as many times as you want (every day if you like, to try and better your score). That way lazy people like me can do it once a week, and crazy people like you and Br0din can do it more often :)

How about this challenge to start?

50 pull ups and 100 push ups for time.

I was thinking no handicaps for weight, but if a heavyweight person wins... they get more props :)

We could rotate between Br0din, you and me for choosing the challenge every week?

I'm a bit lazy for making a new thread... but should we make a PvP thread in the other forum?

• Like 1