Xena: The gauntlet has been thrown

Xena

This is kind of a turning point for me. I’ve decided to really commit to trying for something that I might not be able to do. I’m following a training plan for a sub-4 hour marathon (will try in early May). This challenge will be weeks 3-6. I haven’t run below 4 hours since 2010. The best I did last year was 4:09. The first goal is the meat of my challenge.

1106838.jpg

(edited because I was starting to hate the picture I originally posted. This one is much cuter)

1. Run the Plan. There are 4 key things each week: (a) an interval workout, usually Tuesdays, but I can substitute my Wed. track workout for whatever is listed, ( B) a tempo/packing workout, usually Thursdays but I can adapt my Friday group run to this if I want, © a long run, usually Sundays. One of these will be substituted with a Saturday race. One is a travel day, so if needed, the run can get pushed to Monday (with some concession for weekly mileage totals). (d) fill in, usually with easy running to get within 2 miles of the prescribed total.

4 things each week. 4 weeks. 16 possible points. Goal to get at least 14.

1. Unleash the beast – I’ve been working pushups for a while and started working toward chin-ups last challenge. This builds on last time.                 During the whole challenge:
    1. 60 pushups
    2. 200 negatives
    3.  8 gym workouts that include chin-up work. At least 2 additional strength workouts (could be at-home); a full yoga class would count here.

1.  Stretch the hamstrings at least 3x/week. You may know, I have one weirdly, ridiculously tight hamstring. The past 7 weeks  I’ve been doing regular, intense stretching. Over the past couple weeks, I’ve benchmarked my flexibility. I’m going to give it another 4 weeks and see if I get any improvement.  As a reward for finishing the stretches last challenge, I’m going to get a sports massage, so that might help too.

1. Water water everywhere:
    1. Drink 1 liter of water every day. I still have to make a conscious decision to do this. This is hard for me, so I’m going to allow myself 3 strikes here.
    2. Have soup at lunch most days…make a pot each week and bring that until it’s gone. If I’m traveling and short on time, store-bought soup is ok.
  • Like 12

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Woohoo, I am your first follower for this challenge.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Woohoo, I'm number two!

Wait, that totally sounds wrong

Gaaaaah

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Following along and hoping I can keep up.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Great challenge Xena!  Which race are you targetting?

Kalamazoo Michigan.

because a friend wants to try a Sat/Sun double (Wisconsin Sat, Mich. on Sunday). I'm going along for moral support then doing the second one. It will be state #18 for me :-)

This week's official plan:

Tues: 6 miles, including 3x1 mile at 10K pace

Wed: 4 miles easy

Thurs: 5 miles, starting slow and ending a bit faster than marathon pace

Sat: 4 miles on a hilly course

Sun: 12 miles, first 6 slow, last 6 at marathon pace

I might do a short run on Monday and shorten the Tuesday run just a bit. The consistency really helps me. if I take a day off, sometimes I really want to keep slacking.

I think this plan is kind of smart because they have you running on Sat before the long run on Sun. The idea is to tire out your legs a bit before you start. That way it's easier to get the effect of long runs.

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

Today was ok but not ideal. Plan was 10 miles easy. Showed up for my club run, which is pretty loose. Ended up running 4.5 miles faster than I wanted. I could have run farther, but would have been out on my own. It's tough...most of the group isn't doing distance training, and it's a crapshoot as to who shows up on a given day. Next week I'll have to either skip the group run or do most of my miles before meeting up with the group.

January Challenge Wrap-Up

1. Streak (goal to run outside every day). 31 day streak complete!! Just under 28 miles this week.

2. Push/pull (goal 40 full pushups, 200 negatives, 8 gym workouts with chin-up focus). Success!! 64 full pushups, 230 negatives, 8 workouts. Measurable improvement. Able to do more pushups in a day and feeling stronger on the chin-ups.

3. Stretch Yep...have been diligently stretching the hamstring. Honestly can't really tell if it's helping. Going to keep it up for another month and see if I get measurable improvement.

4. Fuel...this was a grab-bag of a challenge with different goals each week. Mostly successful. Missed on the water drinking a couple days. That's not exactly a success, but it points out something obvious and easy to improve.

So you can probably tell my current (Feb) challenge is pretty similar. Main differences are adding more intense running goals, increasing the pushup goal a bit, and adding in some squatting.

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

Today was ok but not ideal. Plan was 10 miles easy. Showed up for my club run, which is pretty loose. Ended up running 4.5 miles faster than I wanted. I could have run farther, but would have been out on my own. It's tough...most of the group isn't doing distance training, and it's a crapshoot as to who shows up on a given day. Next week I'll have to either skip the group run or do most of my miles before meeting up with the group.

January Challenge Wrap-Up

1. Streak (goal to run outside every day). 31 day streak complete!! Just under 28 miles this week.

2. Push/pull (goal 40 full pushups, 200 negatives, 8 gym workouts with chin-up focus). Success!! 64 full pushups, 230 negatives, 8 workouts. Measurable improvement. Able to do more pushups in a day and feeling stronger on the chin-ups.

3. Stretch Yep...have been diligently stretching the hamstring. Honestly can't really tell if it's helping. Going to keep it up for another month and see if I get measurable improvement.

4. Fuel...this was a grab-bag of a challenge with different goals each week. Mostly successful. Missed on the water drinking a couple days. That's not exactly a success, but it points out something obvious and easy to improve.

So you can probably tell my current (Feb) challenge is pretty similar. Main differences are adding more intense running goals, increasing the pushup goal a bit, and adding in some squatting.

Awesome wrap up for January! Especially with all the snow and ice.

And of course an awesome day one :)

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Having followed your challenge, I knew that you were pretty damn successful. Your wrap up just confirmed your overall awesomeness.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Following for all the running awesomeness! I always said I would never run a marathon but it's something that been popping into my thoughts in the last few months. I know I have the mental grit to get through one but the amount of training needed scares me a little. Going to be watching your training closely and see if it persuades or dissuades me!

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Today was a good day. Nice 4 miles in the morning, mostly on trail. Did everything else I was supposed to (stretching, gym, pushups, water, good lunch). Tomorrow will be harder...it's a more challenging workout, and I need to get my butt out the door early b/c I have a big day ahead of me.

Thank you guys for all the support. I'm at the beginning of a longish and daunting journey and it really helps to have you here. Breaking it down to a 4-week chunk also seems much more manageable.

• Like 7

Oct/Nov 2016

You are the Mighty Xena, you can do anything. Of course we have your back.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Great wrap up. You have challenging goals ahead of you, but I know you can do it!!

Nice work on that 31 day streak!

I know it's a bit intimidating to go all out for a goal you're not sure you can reach, but think of how grand it will be to bag it! You are on your way...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Good challenge day today! It was my first interval workout on the new plan. Had to do 6 miles including 3x1 mile at 8 min pace*. Wasn't sure how that would feel, but I hit 8:06, 8:01, 7:57. Gives me some confidence that the training will be at an achievable level.

That's "eventually" supposed to be my 10K pace to be trained for the sub-4 marathon. I don't run 10K often, but I've done lots of 5-miles. 40 min for 5 miles has always been tough for me. I can only do that when I'm in really really good shape (and not for several years). Will be working toward it.

• Like 7

Oct/Nov 2016

Good intervals!  I find consistent mile reps much hard than faster 400m reps.  Too much time to think of reasons to slow down!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

I like that your intervals got faster the farther you went. Way to get after it!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This is kind of a turning point for me. I’ve decided to really commit to trying for something that I might not be able to do. I’m following a training plan for a sub-4 hour marathon (will try in early May). This challenge will be weeks 3-6. I haven’t run below 4 hours since 2010. The best I did last year was 4:09. The first goal is the meat of my challenge.

quot-i-039-m-all-in-quot-texas-holdem-po

1. Run the Plan. There are 4 key things each week: (a) an interval workout, usually Tuesdays, but I can substitute my Wed. track workout for whatever is listed, ( B) a tempo/packing workout, usually Thursdays but I can adapt my Friday group run to this if I want, © a long run, usually Sundays. One of these will be substituted with a Saturday race. One is a travel day, so if needed, the run can get pushed to Monday (with some concession for weekly mileage totals). (d) fill in, usually with easy running to get within 2 miles of the prescribed total.

4 things each week. 4 weeks. 16 possible points. Goal to get at least 14.

1. Unleash the beast – I’ve been working pushups for a while and started working toward chin-ups last challenge. This builds on last time.                 During the whole challenge:
    1. 60 pushups
    2. 200 negatives
    3.  8 gym workouts that include chin-up work. At least 2 additional strength workouts (could be at-home); a full yoga class would count here.

1.  Stretch the hamstrings at least 3x/week. You may know, I have one weirdly, ridiculously tight hamstring. The past 7 weeks  I’ve been doing regular, intense stretching. Over the past couple weeks, I’ve benchmarked my flexibility. I’m going to give it another 4 weeks and see if I get any improvement.  As a reward for finishing the stretches last challenge, I’m going to get a sports massage, so that might help too.

1. Water water everywhere:
    1. Drink 1 liter of water every day. I still have to make a conscious decision to do this. This is hard for me, so I’m going to allow myself 3 strikes here.
    2. Have soup at lunch most days…make a pot each week and bring that until it’s gone. If I’m traveling and short on time, store-bought soup is ok.

there should be a waterworld themed accountability group.

subbed :)

• Like 2

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -