Xena: The gauntlet has been thrown

Xena

Mistr, if I saw weather like that, I would wonder what parallel universe I had woken up in.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 3

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Mistr, if I saw weather like that, I would wonder what parallel universe I had woken up in.

I'm sure your area must get some other nice weather as compensation for not having snow. It looks a little like that outside my window right now. Except there are no pine trees on this side of the building. People around here are whining that we have not had enough snow for good skiing. Plus it keeps melting on the weekends. We are having a very warm winter.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Fantastic work on the race.  As if we didn't know you'd do well, though... There's a reason you're the Ranger Princess, after all.  ;)

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Mistr living in Australia I get that arcane stuff that you may have heard of in rare myths and legends, called sunshine and hot weather.

• Like 2

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I am having a hard time finding words to adequately praise the work you did on the race. The weather on Sunday was brutal (and even that might be an understatement) and you had a great pace. I wouldn't question your mental toughness. Seriously. You just ran 15.4 miles through the polar vortex (that's what Al Roker called it)! You were also not that far off your desired pace for the race. 

• Like 2

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

I just want to say, I like you guys so much!!

My home workout Sunday was apparently pretty legit, because I was mildly sore in all kinds of places on Monday. Monday (yesterday) had a nice gym session.

Today did my weekly interval workout. Was a little frustrating because I wasn't doing it on a track, and the way the garmin was working I wasn't able to check my pace for the intervals. I had to gauge based mainly on effort. Think I did reasonably, but next time I should measure absolute pace as well. Overall a good run today.

Whole upper body nicely sore from various challenge-related exercise. Yesterday the guys at the gym were teasing me a little for leaving after only 20 minutes. But that's actually my MO if I'm just doing upper body and core work. I can exhaust a lot of those muscles pretty well in surprisingly little time!

• Like 6

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I just want to say, I like you guys so much!!

My home workout Sunday was apparently pretty legit, because I was mildly sore in all kinds of places on Monday. Monday (yesterday) had a nice gym session.

Today did my weekly interval workout. Was a little frustrating because I wasn't doing it on a track, and the way the garmin was working I wasn't able to check my pace for the intervals. I had to gauge based mainly on effort. Think I did reasonably, but next time I should measure absolute pace as well. Overall a good run today.

Whole upper body nicely sore from various challenge-related exercise. Yesterday the guys at the gym were teasing me a little for leaving after only 20 minutes. But that's actually my MO if I'm just doing upper body and core work. I can exhaust a lot of those muscles pretty well in surprisingly little time!

When you lift heavy you don't need to lift long.

Way to go Ranger Ice Pirate Princess.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I agree. I like my upper body and core days because they are so short. I'm willing to push myself much harder when I know it will be over quickly. That's why I admire your long runs so much. Continuing to push hard after 12 miles of running in the snow is a whole different level of dedication.

I can keep doing aikido when I am tired. In aikido I get motivation from other people attacking me. :P

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I can keep doing aikido when I am tired. In aikido I get motivation from other people attacking me. :tongue:

Makes sense!

Today was an easy run day. Over the past couple months, my lower back has been getting pretty tight during running. Not sure what's causing that. I can relieve it pretty well by stretching afterward (squatting to the ground while pulling against something - ie arm of the couch- to put some traction on it). Another minor mystery.

Gym afterward. oooh and I think I had a new pushup record for the year....sets of 3+3+2....hadn't gotten 2 sets of 3 in a long time. I'm finally feeling like I'm making progress on them.

• Like 8

Oct/Nov 2016

Woohoo on the push ups!

Congrats on the years 1st of many new records for the year.  And the year is young.  And wow, gym after running. Great job.

I think I managed something similar all of twice last year, further proving Xena's inhuman levels of endurance and might.  ;)

• Like 2

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Makes sense!

Today was an easy run day. Over the past couple months, my lower back has been getting pretty tight during running. Not sure what's causing that. I can relieve it pretty well by stretching afterward (squatting to the ground while pulling against something - ie arm of the couch- to put some traction on it). Another minor mystery.

Gym afterward. oooh and I think I had a new pushup record for the year....sets of 3+3+2....hadn't gotten 2 sets of 3 in a long time. I'm finally feeling like I'm making progress on them.

congrats on the gym progress :D the lower back thing... could it be by any chance the shoes you are wearing?

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Congrats on the pushup PR!!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Running PLUS Gym? Beast mode!

yay for the pushup PR's! One day I will get good at those. Or at leas have my chest hit the floor before my stomach does.

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

The gym and running thing is pretty normal (I should have mentioned I usually run in the morning and go to the gym after work).

The back problem could be shoes. I'm having all kinds of shoe issues right now. Have been too busy (running!!) to get to the store. Hope I'll have time Saturday.

The past few days have been a struggle do to a work deadline and some travel (including delays on both sides). I had to do a couple treadmill runs. I didn't get in my last run for the week, but allowed for this at the beginning of the challenge...I'll make it up tomorrow.

Oh...improved on my pushups again on Thursday (now up to sets of 4+3+3). I think I've gotten over the hump on these and will be able to steadily build for a while yet.

Week 3 Wrap-up (almost...still some things to finish)

1. Running: Got in 4 (of 5) runs this week and 2 (of 3) "quality sessions. Will make up last one tomorrow.

2. Pushups: 30 full and 53 negatives this week (61/60 full and 163/200 goal for the challenge. Doing great here).

Gym: Went twice this week (5/8 gym sessions and 1/2 bonus sessions so far...still debating doing some yoga tonight).

3. Stretching: 2/3 times this week...so far. Definitely doing this tonight.

4. Diet: On track with this (drinking water every day, making soup to bring for lunches).

5. Mini: Nope. Sadly abandoning this I think. Just too much going on.

Next week: Happy to be home. It's going to be another busy week at work, but I'm hoping to get everything in. The running is a little harder this week because the mid-week runs are all 6-7 miles. Harder to fit that in before work than my usual 3 miles. Just gotta figure it out.

• Like 7

Oct/Nov 2016

I'd say week 3 was well and truly Rangered, especially considering all the dificulties you faced. I feel you on the mini, I crammed everything from 1-3 in this week.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Oh...improved on my pushups again on Thursday (now up to sets of 4+3+3). I think I've gotten over the hump on these and will be able to steadily build for a while yet.

If you think about it sometime, try doing your pushups w/ your feet on a step or something about 8in high.  Last year when I was getting into pushups, I started doing these thinking it would make them harder.  Weird thing was, it actually felt easier which is contrary to what I expected.  Love to hear if you have the same experience.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

If you think about it sometime, try doing your pushups w/ your feet on a step or something about 8in high.  Last year when I was getting into pushups, I started doing these thinking it would make them harder.  Weird thing was, it actually felt easier which is contrary to what I expected.  Love to hear if you have the same experience.

I'm guessing it won't be easier for me, but I'll give it a try!

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm guessing it won't be easier for me, but I'll give it a try!

I too was surprised that in some ways, it was easier to do pushups with my feet elevated for the pushups PvP challenge ......

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Interesting as decline pushups (feet elevated) are considered to be more difficult than standard pushups. Might have to try some and see what happens.

Got to agree with Tank on your Week 3 summary.  Between all the gym/running pairings and the push-up success, I would say you were truly 'off to the races!'

I make funny.  :P

• Like 2

Today was a glorious run :-)

1. My first time in several days running on the road rather than treadmill.

2. I actually did most of it on trail...and it was the first time in weeks the trail was clear enough to run unhindered.

3. It was an easy paced run, so no particular suffering required.

It was the kind of day that reminds me why I like running. That catches me up for week 3.

• Like 9

Oct/Nov 2016

It was the kind of day that reminds me why I like running. That catches me up for week 3.

Always a good day when you're reminded why you like exercising.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava