Anniebox: Starting small but dreaming big.

Anniebox

Hello fellow Rangers. Anniebox here, Nerd Fitness Newbie, reporting for duty.

Main Quest: To make better food and lifestyle decisions and lose some weight. I'm 246lbs and I cannot claim that it's muscle weight or big bones, it's fat, from years of food abuse and bad decisions and it's time for it to go!

I don't have a goal weight or clothing size because I've been fat for so long, I literally don't even know what I might look or feel like at a smaller size so I just wanna lose weight, start living and see where the adventure leads me.

---------------------

Diet Quests

·         Drink more water.

·         Substitute carb crammed mid-morning breadstick snacks for a piece of fruit.

Fitness Quest:

·         Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 2x a week

·         Complete additional workout at least 2x a week

(currently have an ankle injury so the NF Body weight Workout will be replaced with other workouts which don't involve my ankle until it's healed.)

Life Quest:

·         5 minutes meditation daily

Sadly I don't have any 'real world' friends I can count on for fitness motivation, advice or support so if you have anything to say to help me on my path or just wanna say 'hi' please do speak up! It will be very much appreciated!!!

• Like 2

Hi Anniebox!

These look like good goals! I will follow to see how you do!

I first started on NF almost 3 years ago now, and have done challenges off and on. Sometimes I get discouraged, thinking I have not reached that "perfect place" that you imagine you will reach someday. But when I look at where I was at day one of my first challenge, and where I am now, I cannot begin to list all the ways NF and the community has helped me grow and change. I applaud you for "Starting small but dreaming big," that is the way to go!

:joyous:

• Like 1

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

Welcome! Looks like you have some good challenge goals set up! Always remember to Keep it Simple! I have found that keeping your head in the game and just slowly working on yourself is the best way to do it! And always remember than every good decision leads you towards your goal and you are closer today than you were yesterday! I look forward to seeing how it goes!

Soooo, first day of my first challenge and life decided to make it a rough start! I had decided to do my first NF bodyweight workout today after getting home from work but some messy household finance stuff cropped up which needed to be resolved immediately and thus ate in to most of my evening hours which was annoying, I did find the motivation to do it from somewhere though!

I did the full workout and did 2 sets, it was more difficult than I anticipated, but that's ok, I'm just starting out and you've got to start somewhere. I also later on did my 5 minute meditation and after the stressful evening I had it was really nice. I'm not 100% sure if I was doing it right, but it felt good none the less so I'm considering that a win.

I defo drank more water today than usual, but probably only about 1 litre. I would like to work up to the recommended 2 litres daily. Also I successfully avoided the evil carb crammed mid morning snack and had a tangerine instead!

So bumpy start aside, I started more or less as I planned and I intend to keep at it, I am determined that I will not fall at the first hurdle.

I did the full workout and did 2 sets, it was more difficult than I anticipated, but that's ok, I'm just starting out and you've got to start somewhere. I also later on did my 5 minute meditation and after the stressful evening I had it was really nice. I'm not 100% sure if I was doing it right, but it felt good none the less so I'm considering that a win.

Amazing way to handle your first day! Woohoo!

With meditation, I find it helpful to think of something I read in a book by Dan Harris. He is talking about how when he first started meditating, his thoughts were constantly wandering and he spent the whole time redirecting himself. So he was thinking he wasn't doing it right. But the act of continually redirecting himself is meditation. I find that very reassuring when I meditate!

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

That's great! Really well done not letting life win. You got this!

Stupid doubleposts.
267.gif

Thanks for the encouragement Tanktimus! It was a tricky start but mind over matter right won yesterdays battle. Also I praise your excellent use of an adorable cat gif to replace a double post!!!

Amazing way to handle your first day! Woohoo!

With meditation, I find it helpful to think of something I read in a book by Dan Harris. He is talking about how when he first started meditating, his thoughts were constantly wandering and he spent the whole time redirecting himself. So he was thinking he wasn't doing it right. But the act of continually redirecting himself is meditation. I find that very reassuring when I meditate!

That is actually really encouraging and helped me with today's meditation a lot!  Yesterday my thoughts would start wandering and I'd be thinking like "no Annie, bad Annie, stop thinking" so reading your post this morning reassured me that I wasn't necessarily failing from the start so thank you *virtual hugs*

Today I did my meditation and drank just under 2 litres of water. I'm on a rest day from the NF Bodyweight workout but still did a different exercise.

Regrettably I did cave in and today I brought a bag of crisps from the mid morning snack van. Emotions from yesterday's badness were still circulating and I found myself craving it so bad! I did however find myself not really enjoying them the way I used to when they were a regular purchase at the end of last year, so next time my mind starts begging for crisps, I'm going to remind it that we did not enjoy it and it was not worth the cost in money or calories to have eaten them!!!! 

I still did more good things than bad things today so I'm still counting it as a win overall, just a bit of a lesser win, like getting 3rd place instead of 1st.
  • Like 2

Cat gifs on double posts are a common courtesy around here ;)

Regarding the crisps, Steve had a blog post a few years ago about the power of "I don't" versus "I can't." Basically, saying "I don't" do something makes it easier to resist that thing than telling yourself "I can't." There was even a behavioral psychology experiment where a group was divided into two, where the first group wrote "I can't eat chocolate" 100 times and the second group wrote "I don't eat chocolate" 100 times. Upon leaving the room of tedious writing they walked past a table with fruit and chocolate bars on it. The group that wrote I can't picked chocolate waaay more often than the group that wrote I don't.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So everything was going well today, water on target, no mid morning snack, peaceful meditation and I did the body weight workout again. The bad news is it looks like my ankle is still a bit messed up from my fall down the stairs 2 1/2 weeks ago. I started getting a crazy sharp pain across the inside and round the ask of my left ankle. Really struggled with most of the routine so I only did two sets again.

So for now I think I'm gonna tweak my workouts to be upper body work, ab work and walking instead. I don't wanna risk injuring myself more just because I forced my way through some epic squats. Will research new routines I can do tomorrow.

Bit disappointing, it really does feel like this challenge is trying to finish me before I've even really started :(

You're doing great so far.  Discretion is the better part of valor, and it's best to take it easy on areas that hurt rather than try to tough it out.  I've had a chronically bad ankle ever since I broke it 5 years ago, so I'm especially careful to pay attention to when it hurts, because I've found if I ignore the warning signs, it can take me down for days at a time.

• Like 1

So I totally didn’t come on to post last night, it was a busy kinda day as we had workmen in the house to sort out a leak in the water main so the whole downstairs is pretty much a write off as we still need to put everything back.

·         Water – Good

·         Fruit Snacks – Success

·         Meditation – Got lost in the day as noted above. I tried doing it before I went to sleep but I’m preeeeeety sure I just ended up falling asleep, haha! Never fallen asleep so fast in a long time though so that was kinda a good thing in a way, might try that more often!

·         Exercise – Due to aforementioned busyness I didn’t end up looking up a proper routine or anything, I just made it up on the fly. I did a combination of arm exercises with my hand weights (bicep curls, military press, shoulder press, tricep dips), crunches (standard straight up and side crunches), chest fly’s, knee push ups and planks.

Did 10 reps of each exercise (10 sec hold for the plank) and did 3 sets. Still got hot, a bit sweaty and felt my muscles working while I was doing it so was pretty pleased since I made it up on the spot and just had to do things I could fit in in a space which is barely  1 square meter!

Although I couldn’t do my usual workouts of choice due to my ankle and the meditation was kinda failed too, I’m still passing yesterday off a win overall as I did my best under the circumstances and as long as you’ve done your best, that’s a win in my book!

It was actually encouraging to do the workout I did despite my injury. In the past I was the lazy type of person who would adopt the mentality of “Well I can’t do anything because (insert injury/excuse here)â€. It’s liberating to realise that even if it’s not what you’re used to or prefer doing, there is almost always something you can do, there really is little to no excuse or reason to do nothing.

I may be new to the ways of Nerd Fitness and Level Up Your Life but I feel like I’ve already learnt so much and I feel like this time might really be the time where transformation actually happens for real, both physically and mentally! In a way it’s a shame that it took so long to happen, but it’s an exciting time to be alive none the less~

• Like 2

Welcome Annie and good job adapting to your circumstances.

nowhere fast

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Updates:

Yesterday:

·         Water – check

·         Fruit Snacks – check

·         Meditation – check

·         Exercise – Did a seated routine I found on fitness blender https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/workout-at-work-32-minute-chair-workout-video really good workout actually and I really feel it in my back and obliques today! It was much more of a workout than I anticipated it to be.

Today:

·         Water – check

·         Fruit Snacks – no fruit snack today as I don't tend to snack on non work days anyway

·         Meditation – check

·         Exercise – I've done a lot of activity this week so I didn't wanna do too much today as I didn't want to overload my body so early on but at the same time I wanted to do something. In the end I did a small stretching routing which I found posted by a member in a different thread here, the workout was http://darebee.com/workouts/backup-and-restore-workout.htmlI also found a small seated yoga routing on the same site which I did but I'ma call that it for today.

Overall so far so good, nearly a week in and things are going pretty much how I had hoped they would (apart from the ankle injury of course, haha) 

Following along on your journey! That's smart thinking finding the sitting exercises while your ankle heals. One of the ways I re-frame for injuries or setbacks is that it counts as progress if I'm working towards healing or correction - so really you are progressing, because your body is healing, and that takes a lot of work. It's like a side quest :)

I've found one of the secrets of meditation is that even people who have been practicing for years will tell you they're bad at it. XD 

On the flip side, I recently went to a talk by CC from the Mayo Clinic's Wellness institute, he gave us a small 3 minute exercise that's been found to be as effective as meditation, so something to think about if you don't think you're going to hit your meditation goal for the day: When you're ready to meditate, picture a person that you love very much or have a very close connection to (either present or in the past). Think about the different reasons why you're thankful for them. Then project your thankfulness to them as though you are telling them. Choose a different person each time you do this.

PS, I like your kitteh icon :3

Sunday:

·        Water – check

·         Fruit Snacks – again fruit snack today as I don't tend to snack on non work days anyway

·        Meditation – check

·        Exercise – Technically speaking it was a rest day but I went on a pretty spirited cleaning spree.

Monday:

·         Water – check

·         Fruit Snacks – have a week off work so again, no snacking at all really

·         Meditation – missed it because I had a really busy day, when I got home I wanted to rest for a bit then time just escaped me

·         Exercise – Didn't do an exercise today as I was out almost all day with my mum having a long overdue mother, daughter. Between all the shops we went to we walked for about 3 hours. Obviously I was knackered when I finally got home so I classed that as my exercise for the day.

Need to get back on my meditation game, also even while I'm off work, it probably wouldn't hurt me to still eat some fruit, regardless of whether its replacing a snack or not so I might try work on that too in a later challenge.

• Like 1