RogueLibrarian: synchronizing....

RogueLibrarian

My second NF challenge, and first as an Assassin. I’m feeling good after January’s challenge, despite some slips. Tried indoor rock climbing last month and loved it. So this month:

Fitness:

• Wall climbing 1x/week. Assassin’s gotta be able to get to those upper story windows. I’m going to take a belay certification workshop this month.
  • Escape the area: 30 mins cardio exercise 2x/week. Must be able to give guards the slip.
  • Fitbit steps: average 8k per day for the whole month.

Life:

• Meditation 10 mins per day every day.
  • I’m working on a book. I’ll write 3 hrs/week.

Diet:

• Cook a new recipe once a week. Less cheese. Less starch. More vegetables.
  • Weigh myself at the end of each week. I’m not setting a weight loss goal, but tracking it will help me keep an eye on how the food choices are going.
  • Like 3

"We can be heroes"

My second NF challenge, and first as an Assassin. I’m feeling good after January’s challenge, despite some slips. Tried indoor rock climbing last month and loved it. So this month:

Fitness:

• Wall climbing 1x/week. Assassin’s gotta be able to get to those upper story windows. I’m going to take a belay certification workshop this month.
  • Escape the area: 30 mins cardio exercise 2x/week. Must be able to give guards the slip.
  • Fitbit steps: average 8k per day for the whole month.

Life:

• Meditation 10 mins per day every day.
  • I’m working on a book. I’ll write 3 hrs/week.

Diet:

• Cook a new recipe once a week. Less cheese. Less starch. More vegetables.
  • Weigh myself at the end of each week. I’m not setting a weight loss goal, but tracking it will help me keep an eye on how the food choices are going.

I like it, especially your Assassin-based goals! 

What kind of writing do you do, if you don't mind me asking? 

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

I slept really poorly last night -- to the point that I almost took a sick day today. Came in to a huge long to-do list thanks to being away from the office for a conference a couple of days last week. 

But I got out and took a half-hour walk. The only -- THE ONLY -- reason I made myself get off my ass and do this is because it's on my challenge list. I didn't want to feel like I was bailing on the first day!

Gym tomorrow.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Down two more pounds this morning, three pounds from where I'd really like to be, and my belt is a notch tighter than it was on New Year's.

I'm a little bothered that I haven't managed to get to the gym yet this week. I'm planning to go today -- my calendar will definitely allow it -- but if I want to hit my gym goals regularly I'll need to spread it out during the week a little better. It's also easier to keep the momentum going if I don't let three days pass without a workout.

"We can be heroes"

Trying to convince self that my post-gym aches are like "Hey I did a thing that feels great" instead of like "I want a nap instead of teaching this afternoon's class."*  So far no dice. 

On the plus side, I realize that I'm starting to look forward to workouts instead of seeing them as a chore. I forget that that can happen. 

*ETA: Got 2000 Fitbit steps while teaching. 

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Used the rowing machine at the gym for the first time in a long time -- I forgot what a full-body workout that is. I could only do a few minutes of it but I'm going to work up to more.

I'm rocking the Fitbit steps this week. Well over a 10,000/day average. My new fitbit doesn't register the stationary bike, so I may not hit it today -- but I'm totally fine with that, had a good workout which is the point.

"We can be heroes"

Now I'm wondering what fiction about software would be like.

Well on the more exciting end, I guess it would be like Ready Player One? The software I write about would not provide that level of excitement. 

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Another climber, hooray! It's so addicting.  I just discovered climbing about a month ago too--went for a friend's birthday, got a deeply discounted month-long trial membership at a rock gym and used it least a dozen times.  You know how when you're on a boat all day, you close your eyes at night in bed and still feel the boat moving? I would close my eyes and see myself reaching for brightly colored handholds.  I'm not climbing regularly anymore (because money) but have an upper-body strength training goal so when I DO go back I can kick some ass.

As I am also working on building a running habit, using my step counter and meditation(though the latter two did not make my top goals this month), I will definitely be following.  Good job so far, keep enjoying those workouts!

• Like 1
My February Challenge! (oh look I coded a thing)

This is why I don't trust librarians! They all have these secret awesome lives and are going to beat me into a pulp if I re-rack a book wrong! I'm onto you guys!

In reality I saw the climbing thread and decided to pop over. I found climbing about 6 months ago and fell in love with it. It's pretty awesome that your gym has such a cool wall tucked away in there! Do many people actually use it?

How is the rest of your challenge coming along?

Human Ranger

More Than Survival

STR: 4.75 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2.5 | CON: 0 | WIS: 8.62 | CHA: 4.5

"I'd rather die chasing the dream then live only to dream more"

We do have secret awesome lives. My students are often surprised that I've got a sleeve of tattoos. :)

I am a total climbing noob, but I'm loving it. I think our climbing wall gets pretty steady use, actually. I've never seen it so packed that I had to wait, but there are often one or two other people using it, or finishing up when I come in or arriving when I'm finishing up. They're not open on the weekends (the gym is, but not the wall), which of course is when I'd get the most use out of it. I'm thinking about going to a local climbing gym (where Steve held a book tour event recently), but it costs so that would have to be an occasional indulgence.

The rest of the challenge is going well. I missed one day of meditation this week -- just straight-up forgot -- but so far that's my only misstep. I'm solidly on track to get all green lights for week 2 otherwise.

Thanks for the post! I'm headed over to your challenge to follow.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

I hit the climbing gym yesterday and climbed for an hour -- I am sore all over today! My abdominals are sore, which I wasn't really expecting. I pushed it harder than I otherwise might have. Since I was paying for an hour, I kept going to get as much climbing in as I could, when if I'd just been using my regular gym with no time limit I would have given up earlier. 

Still, lots of fun and I'm getting very, very slightly better at it.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"