[Charlie_Quinn] Same schtick, different challenge

Charlie_Quinn

My goals this challenge are staying pretty much the same as last time. My main goal is to be fit and strong enough to do all the events I have planned this year, so my goals are going to remain the same or very similar for the foreseeable future.

I'm not doing any theme this challenge, I'm just keeping it nice and simple so I can focus on what I have to do. So, without further ado...

Goal 1 - Endurance

Run a total of 60k

This is exactly the same as my last challenge. I found it really helpful to have a distance target to aim for. I did manage to complete this last challenge so the obvious thing to do would be to increase the distance this time round but I'm keeping it exactly the same. The reason I've done this is because I only just managed to hit the target last time thanks to a few issues. This time I'm going to try to do more runs during a week so I'm not cramming all the distance into the last few days of the challenge.

Once again, I'll be logging all my runs on Strava and will post screen shots from Strava here throughout the challenge.

Goal 2 - Strength

Part A

Climb once a week

I go climbing once a week with my husband and enjoy it a lot so really this doesn't need to be part of my challenge, but the enjoyment is very reason I'm keeping it here. I think it's important to make sure I'm doing something fun in my challenge so it doesn't start to feel like a chore. Plus, the climbing is really going to help with the big obstacles once the OCR's roll around!

Part B

Strength train twice a week

With everything else I've been doing (Thanks, Rangerbrain), I've found it hard to keep up with my lifting, so I'm adding this in this time around to make sure I don't let it slip.

Goal 3 - Mobility

Part A

Yoga twice a week

The same as last challenge, I'll be doing a NF yoga session twice a week.

Part B

Foam rolling and stretching during warm up and cool down

I need to get better at stretching and foam rolling as part of my warm up and cool down after exercise. The yoga is helpful for the tightness but stretching/foam rolling before and after exercise is the thing that will help prevent me getting injured. 

Life Goal - Coding Course

Work on my coding course at least once during the week

I failed this completely last challenge so this time I'm not saying how long I need to spend each week on this, I just need to make sure I do something.

• Like 7

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Fun fact, I used to be able to do a spot on impression of Roz, but only after a few drinks! Happy to have you (and Roz) watching!

I can't wait to hear about your continued adventures in climbing!

Can't wait to continue my adventures either.

I like your challenge...looks like you have found something that works and are sticking to it. Maybe take a peek at the mini challenge too? It's pretty low key and might be a way to add some bits of fun without committing to anything big.

Exactly, what I'm dong is working and I can see and feel the benefits, so I'm going to keep going with this plan till it stops working or I get bored.

I'll be taking part in the mini again - I did start last challenge but it kinda fizzled out towards the end. Confession time, I've never read a single Harry Potter book or watched any of the films. Please don't revoke my nerd card! 20-something me thought she was too "cool" for Harry Potter and I sorta missed the zeitgeist. What an idiot she was.

Holy crap on a cracker! It's been really hard to keep up with the boards in the last few days. I'm not really a fan of the 2 day break between challenges. I've hardly finished reading everyone's wrap ups from the previous challenge and I'm already behind on all the new ones! 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

Consistency FTW!

Hell yeah! If it ain't broke......

tumblr_m3e1zfTrIA1qbdycho1_500.gif

I'm with you. 2 days was a bit short. But trying to play catch up is definitely making this work day feel faster :)

Also, hi!

I was hoping for a quiet work day so I could sneakily catch up on some threads. It didn't happen.

2020 Races: 

Day 1

Today was a lifting day. I worked mostly lower body as tomorrow is climbing day and I've learnt my lesson from trying to climb after working my shoulders and back.

After lifting, I foam rolled my butt and legs as much as I could bear, so, not long.

My tentative plan for this week:

Tuesday - Climb

Wednesday - Run (about 5k?) & yoga

Thursday - Lift

Friday - Rest / Yoga

Saturday - Run 5k / Yoga if not done on Friday

Sunday - Long Run (distance yet to be decided)

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

Day 1

Today was a lifting day. I worked mostly lower body as tomorrow is climbing day and I've learnt my lesson from trying to climb after working my shoulders and back.

After lifting, I foam rolled my butt and legs as much as I could bear, so, not long.

Tuesday - Climb

Thursday - Lift

Friday - Rest / Yoga

That right there is a Ranger's plan.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Day 1

Tuesday - Climb

Thursday - Lift

Friday - Rest / Yoga

Looks like a good plan to me!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Finally got around to setting up my character and epic quest. Link is in my signature if anyone wants to take a look.

All my races are on there for this year, with various XP points based on how challenging I think they'll be. I've put a couple of dream races on there too and things that I really want to be able to do but struggle with, such as jumping into water from height and completing a set of monkey bars. 

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Hi Charlie! Following along again! 

Good deal on the consistency, that seems to be where most Rangers embrace their namesake and start kicking MORE ass then usual. I hope you have fun with climbing! I miss bouldering so much...there's a zen type feel I get every time I climbed. 

Once thing I've loved to learn to use is Epsom salt. Try taking an epsom salt bath and then foam roll-you might stand to roll longer and get out ALL the soreness ;)

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

That right there is a Ranger's plan.

Looks like a good plan to me!

Thanks fellas. If it works for me this week, I'll be sticking to it. MOAR CONSISTENCY!

Hi Charlie! Following along again! 

Good deal on the consistency, that seems to be where most Rangers embrace their namesake and start kicking MORE ass then usual. I hope you have fun with climbing! I miss bouldering so much...there's a zen type feel I get every time I climbed. 

Once thing I've loved to learn to use is Epsom salt. Try taking an epsom salt bath and then foam roll-you might stand to roll longer and get out ALL the soreness ;)

Wolf

Thanks for the tip on the rolling, will give that a try on a weekend when I have a bit more time for a soak in the bath!

So looking forward to climbing tonight, the wall I go to just posted on their FB page that they've reset 12 routes today.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

Charlie!  As if I wasn't going to pop in for the follow-along.  :)

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Hi Charlie, well done on your character sheet and organising your races for the year.

"Now we know that Trolls also explode."

Not all of the ones I've added on their are ones I'm doing, some are ones I hope to do in the future. My race calendar is a bit empty in the middle of the year, I need something to do around June / July time.

I feel your pain!

Just remember it's GOOD pain. Or so they keep telling me.

This should be the Ranger motto

Good idea! I think I'm going to use it to replace the "sent on my phone via Tapatalk" junk at the end of my Tapatalk posts.

Charlie!  As if I wasn't going to pop in for the follow-along.  :)

Thanks for following. I really really need to catch up your thread! I plan on doing that this lunchtime while eating a warming bowl of soup.

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

Day 2

Went climbing last night but we didn't get to test out many of the new routes. When we first arrived there was an entire Scout troupe there earning their climbing badges (Stu was disappointed they never took them climbing when he was a Cub Scout! :lol: ). That put about 4 lines out of action for about half an hour. Once they left, the place got busy with climbers eager to try the new routes. 

We only managed to tackle a new 5a route that had been put up on the steepest part of the overhang. It was a toughie and took me 2 attempts to complete it. Had to have a little help from my belayer again though. :angry:  I find the overhang quite intimidating, It's that weird feeling of leaning back while still climbing up (that's the best way I can describe it), it's like my brain hasn't yet realised that I'm not going to fall and die from being in that position. 

I really wanted to try the new 4+ route but one guy had decided that he was going to spend the entire evening on that one route. Which leads me to a question for other climbers, what's the etiquette when it comes to climbing routes? If it's busy, is it considered rude to hog a route or is it an "I got here first, it's mine" / every man for himself mentality? Stu and I try to only do a route once each - maybe one of us will try a second time if we only got half way up the first time - before moving on to something else. We definitely don't stay tied in while taking a rest before climbing again! Maybe we're being a bit too polite!

Today I've brought all my running gear with me and I plan to get off the train at a station 3 miles away and run home. If it works out well, I'll make that a regular thing. If it saves me a bit of time in the evening, even better.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

I really wanted to try the new 4+ route but one guy had decided that he was going to spend the entire evening on that one route. Which leads me to a question for other climbers, what's the etiquette when it comes to climbing routes? If it's busy, is it considered rude to hog a route or is it an "I got here first, it's mine" / every man for himself mentality? Stu and I try to only do a route once each - maybe one of us will try a second time if we only got half way up the first time - before moving on to something else. We definitely don't stay tied in while taking a rest before climbing again! Maybe we're being a bit too polite!

My daughter used to climb a lot (I was a belay slave), and I can't remember anyone hogging a route to that extent, unless they were really working on mastering a hard route ... in which case, they take breaks.  You might try striking up a conversation and mention that you'd like to give that one a try.  Most climbers seem eager to watch another tackle a route so that they can learn something from another perspective.  

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

My daughter used to climb a lot (I was a belay slave), and I can't remember anyone hogging a route to that extent, unless they were really working on mastering a hard route ... in which case, they take breaks.  You might try striking up a conversation and mention that you'd like to give that one a try.  Most climbers seem eager to watch another tackle a route so that they can learn something from another perspective.  

That's a nice idea, I might try that, I've said hi to him a few times and I think he's fairly new to climbing too so maybe he isn't sure of the etiquette either! I Just found it odd that even while he was taking long breaks he stayed tied in which just seemed a little selfish when the gym was so busy.

I'm a newbie/infrequent climber...so when you figure out the etiquette, tell me!

Will do! How long have you been climbing for and how often do you go?

I reckon the overhangs would stress my brain out too. Can't quite imagine being brave enough right now.

"Now we know that Trolls also explode."

It's really weird, because even though you know there is a rope to stop you crashing to the ground the thought is still there! I think maybe I need to actually take a big fall so my brain learns that falling = swinging on a rope, not death!

• Like 1

2020 Races: