• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Haikoo

Haikoo: Not the Beginning, but a Beginning.

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called 2016 by some, an Age yet to come, an age long past, a Koo rose in the Southern Region of Wisconsin. The Koo was not at the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But she was at a beginning.

wheel_of_time_custom_icon_by_thedoctor45

Hello, 2016! 2015 was not my most stellar Age. Between Life stuff and shoulder surgery, I let myself fall too far. I basically feel like I felt before I ever started NF many, many moons ago. This is not a good place for me to be. It's time to begin again.

My main quest for this year is to complete a 15k run-specifically, the Hot Chocolate Run in Chicago, October 30th. This is a strange goal, as I am NOT a runner. I've never done more than a 5k. Any run training I have ever done has me howling with shin splints. I blame Maigrey for this new attempt. Also, I really want that awesome medal. Plus, it's something new to work for!

In order to achieve such a lofty goal, I need to get myself back together. I need to feel good physically and mentally. Thus, my goals:

1) Escaping the Ways - To get out of the darkness (and prepare for what is to come) there will be much walking. For the first 3 weeks, that will mean walking 4 times per week. Should I do an alternate type of cardio (i.e. boot camp class, or some other cardio class at the gym), I can count that as 1 walking session once per week. When week 4 arrives and  Machin Shin is close at my heels, I will need to pick up the pace. Couch to 5K training will begin
on this week.

tumblr_mvougjNQur1qhl3k5o1_500.jpg

2) Avoid the Spoilage (*amended from original)- Being surrounded by "spoiled" food can make it difficult to find proper sustenance. I need to make a much greater effort at avoiding this tainted food stuff and eat real food. Eating clean for me means eating meat, veggies,and fruit, along with limited rice and dairy. I occasionally have oatmeal, also. Bread, sugar, or alcohol should be sometimes, not often. Lately I have been having way too much bread and sugar treats. It's time to start weening myself off.

Week 1 goal:  Two clean food days

Week 2 goal: Three clean food days

Week 3 goal: Four clean food days

Week 4 goal: Five clean food days.

3) Accept Healing - My injuries from previous battles still linger. I must overcome my aversion of the Yellow Ajah and accept healing. This means I will do my shoulder PT 6 out of 7 days per week. 

BONUS: Throw in some PT to help with shin splints such as toe lifts. Head them off before they start!!! Going to do some research on that. I'd appreciate any tips! I'm *REALLY* Prone to them. Usually get them by week  3 of C25K.

4) Push Back the Blight - With the Darkness pushing into my world, the Blight is encroaching on my living space. I must stop its progress and push it back. In order to do this, I will spend at least 15 minutes decluttering and organizing in my home 6 of 7 days per week. 

The Last Battle is approaching. I must prevail!!

8bd2b1b527c85534584d4eb71e1b7255.jpg
  • Like 3

Good goals, and I like how they relate to your long term goal of the 15k, gradually building up the training. Seems well thought out.

I get the shin splints, too. I definitely got them when I was first getting into running, and I still get them now when I start increasing my mileage. My best advice is to do the strength exercises, like you are already looking into, and just build your running intensity up slowly. Maybe a little easy jogging, just a few minutes here and there, during your walks in the first weeks will help prevent them later. When you do start running, shorten your stride and slow down a bit if you start feeling pain. Take a day or two off when it gets bad. Eventually, you'll get stronger and it won't be a problem!

What a great challenge!  I have looked at those Hot Chocolate runs.  They look so fun.  If you sign up or when you sign up I should say let us know and you will be added to the event calendar.  :)  Avoid the spoilage is great, just great!

I've heard that is an excellent race. I <3 these goals though I do think the food allowance of 1x per week is very stringent to start with. I do heart me a koo-challenge. :D

Koodoodle! I am here!

Thank goodness! My thread is now complete :D

Good goals, and I like how they relate to your long term goal of the 15k, gradually building up the training. Seems well thought out.

I get the shin splints, too. I definitely got them when I was first getting into running, and I still get them now when I start increasing my mileage. My best advice is to do the strength exercises, like you are already looking into, and just build your running intensity up slowly. Maybe a little easy jogging, just a few minutes here and there, during your walks in the first weeks will help prevent them later. When you do start running, shorten your stride and slow down a bit if you start feeling pain. Take a day or two off when it gets bad. Eventually, you'll get stronger and it won't be a problem!

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping it will go much better this time. 

kooorooorooorooooroooo!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingssssssss

Running and WoT? You are speaking my language. *sniffs, folds arms beneath breasts*

*tugs non-existent braid*

What a great challenge!  I have looked at those Hot Chocolate runs.  They look so fun.  If you sign up or when you sign up I should say let us know and you will be added to the event calendar.   :)  Avoid the spoilage is great, just great!

Will do!!

So day one got off to a rocky start. One of the boys woke up at 5am with a 103.3 fever. He stayed home from school, which threw off my groove a bit.  He's home again today, but fever is hanging a little lower. 

As for goals, I chose to have my one treat meal yesterday, mostly because we had this yummy bread that needed to be used up or it was going to be in my face all week. Food was good otherwise. 

Walking sort of happened but not really. I am watching my neighbor's dogs for the next couple of weeks. I did take them for a walk for around 25 minutes, but it was at dog pace (i.e. stop and sniff EVERYTHING) so I feel like I didn't get a lot of training benefit from it. I will not likely count it.

Got all my shoulder PT done! Shoulder pain told me I may be overdoing it and going to cut back a few of the strengthening exercises to every other day. It's a little sore today, but not too bad. Did not finish researching shin splint type exercises yet.

Also didn't get to the declutter session.  Today!!!

• Like 2

I've heard that is an excellent race. I <3 these goals though I do think the food allowance of 1x per week is very stringent to start with. I do heart me a koo-challenge. :D

Yeaaa, it's a little stiff, but honestly I need it. Otherwise I go nuts. I've done well with this method in the past. If it becomes too difficult, I will consider changing it. I need to get the sugar cravings OUT of my head and I generally FEEL the best on a paleoish eating habit. Not to mention I have WAY too much fluff right now....

You know, after some contemplation, I think Raptron is right (no surprise!) I'm doing all these baby steps to get to other goals, but I'm jumping in feet first with the food goal. When I first stumbled upon NF and was looking into paleo, Whole30 and cleaner eating in general, I began by taking one step at a time--one clean day, then maybe 2 in a row, etc. I built it up. Why am I not doing that, here? It will likely make me more successful in the long run and allow me to continue it on into new challenges.

Therefore I will amend my goal as follows:

2) Avoid the Spoilage - Being surrounded by "spoiled" food can make it difficult to find proper sustenance. I need to make a much greater effort at avoiding this tainted food stuff and eat real food. Eating clean for me means eating meat, veggies,and fruit, along with limited rice and dairy. I occasionally have oatmeal, also. Bread, sugar, or alcohol should be sometimes, not often. Lately I have been having way too much bread and sugar treats. It's time to start weening myself off.

Week 1 goal:  Two clean food days

Week 2 goal: Three clean food days

Week 3 goal: Four clean food days

Week 4 goal: Five clean food days

I was concerned your thread had ended up in the wrong guild when I first saw it, this makes more sense. Glad to have you around. :)

I think it's smart how you amended your food goals – sometimes a gradual approach is best!

It will certainly be less stressful and more habit forming. It seems easier when it's broken down into stair steps as such.

I was concerned your thread had ended up in the wrong guild when I first saw it, this makes more sense. Glad to have you around. :)

Hah! Me, too. I don't think I've ever done a challenge with scouts before...weird!!!   I'm just a guest scout.

I like the updated food goal. There's something really satisfying about jumping into big changes with both feel, but I've found that to be less effective in the long run than taking baby steps.

Ugh. As usual, life throws a wrench in my spokes when I try to do a challenge. The boy was sick and home from school Monday, Tuesday, and Yesterday. Yesterday I ran a low grade temp all day. He was kind enough to give me his cough and whatever illness. Challenge goals are at a standstill. 

I'd have walked on Tuesday if I didn't have a sickie home with me (also it snowed/rained all day. What a slushy mess!) 

Frustrating!!!

Ugh. As usual, life throws a wrench in my spokes when I try to do a challenge. The boy was sick and home from school Monday, Tuesday, and Yesterday. Yesterday I ran a low grade temp all day. He was kind enough to give me his cough and whatever illness. Challenge goals are at a standstill. 

I'd have walked on Tuesday if I didn't have a sickie home with me (also it snowed/rained all day. What a slushy mess!) 

Frustrating!!!

So frustrating. Those little petri dishes just can't help passing on all their goodies. Mine derailed my previous challenge twice. Keep at it, this too shall pass.

HI NEIGHBOR!!!!  If you ever want a walking buddy let me know! I'm always down for a good walk.

Also, @raptron does that november project thing up in her corner of the country and I looked it up and there is one in Madison. It sounds like fun/torture so I think maybe that could be a meetup?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Still sick :( I had a fever all day yesterday with a cough that feels like there's glass in my lungs. Woke up to 102 today. It broke once but came back and is hovering around 100. I feel like junk.

Challenge at complete stand still. I don't even have the energy to PT. Don't even feel like eating. This must be flu? So much for that flu shot Gavin got....

Hello there,

I still live!

Fevers are done, though I still don't feel 100%. Still tired and still coughing my head off. Improving slowly.  

Yesterday was a good day. I went to gym and walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes at a good clip. It was cold enough that I didn't want to be outside, especially when I'm already coughing. 

I did some of my shoulder PT--enough. My shoulder feels remarkably well considering it's a week since I did any PT exercises. I had expected some tightness and loss of motion, but not so!

Food has been not so great. I'm really not very hungry. A few bites and I'm done, which is encouraging bad food choices. This needs work.

Got in a good 15 min declutter yesterday by attacking some of the cardboard in the basement. Babysteps! Still feeling like a more successful week than last, though I may not get all 4 walking sessions in. We'll see.

• Like 1