Alarion: Stargate Challenge (Dealing with Attitude)

Alarion

Intro

For a great part this challenge has been inspired by creativity of Ensi (Shepherd Fox). Thank you!

I have discovered the fun of watching SG-1 (quit by the end of the first season, the first time I tried to watch it), so decided to make use of excitement to make the challenge more fun instead of simply setting goals.

The Story

Food, more food, and packed rations - this had been the world of Sgt. Grumpy Hedgehog this far in Stargate Command. Her task was to make sure that all the folk going about their strange stargate business would have sufficient nourishment, and that they would have enough to survive on for quite some while, should they be besieged or invaded by aliens. Again. In her (not so humble) opinion, stargate should have been left alone. But it was none of her business. Until now, so to say.

One day, as she was counting the rolls of cheese on the shelf and wondering why one roll had missing, she was summoned by the general. Grumpy assumed that it must be that someone had found out about this little slip in her management of cheese, and now she would receive scolding. But no! In fact it turned out to be much worse.

SHE HAD TO GO ON A MISSION

...to some weird planet where people were enslaved by some being named Dismal Abysmal; and no one really knew for sure who or what it was. But this thing, or person, had figured out how to keep people subject by having them complain about everything, and keeping them up all night. Complaining. Now, Grumpy could not imagine that complaining could be used in some profitable way, all she had gotten from it were headaches and a sour face.

And then she found out that she would be going alone. For sure, General had a good explanation that she was the most fitting person for this mission due to her name and could fit in with the populace on that planet, and do some intel work. However, Grumpy suspected that they simply wanted to get rid of her for one reason or another, maybe because she couldn't find why one roll of cheese was missing?

But there was nothing left to do but to get ready. No weapons, except for a dagger; simple clothing - tunic and leggings, and a pair of sandals; and instructions for work and survival:

- find out who Dismal Abysmal was;

- explore how how he/she/it kept people enslaved and for what reason;

- decide if Dismal would pose a threat to Earth;

- always remember to keep thankful attitude to avoid joining the slaves there, for real;

- find ways to get enough sleep, or else - slavery.

And there she stood now, ready to embark on this little desired adventure. She liked keeping the food shelves stocked up better (though she had complained about it only moments before being summoned by the General). Nervously she fingered the hilt of the knife, waiting for the team to dial the address.

Goals: in Plain Language

1. Every day write three things I am grateful for (3 CHA).

2. Every day read an allotted Bible verse on being thankful (2 WIS).

3. Go to bed by 23.00 at least five nights a week (10 CON - eh, I keep struggling with this, so must award myself, if I do manage to keep up with this goal).

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

AL!! This is all sorts of great stuff - a theme that you like, and goals that are simple and easy to track. Especially goal #3. If that's what you struggle with the most, it's a great idea to assign more points to it :)

Let's have a fabulous February!!

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Riiiiight stargate it is then. Not an easy challenge, especially the last goal... Ensi, maybe those many points might motivate me. Must limit my working hours too, obviously.

So yesterday I managed to complete first two with ease, but missed the sleepy-time deadline by 7 minutes. Close, but not there yet. :D

Done #1 for today, but the other two... will see.

I have tons and tons of work, but decided that I need to squeeze in some exercise:

this one, this, and this stretching routine. Ouchies! Low impact all right...

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

Current challenge

So yesterday I managed to complete first two with ease, but missed the sleepy-time deadline by 7 minutes. 

So close!

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

AAAAAAHH! Good intentions, all right, but then work happens. Early morning to late night, so sleep goal went poof!

Goal #1 = 1/7

Goal #2 = 7/7

Goal #3 = 0/7

I should write this up into a creative post once I recover from working, working, working...

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Well done tracking your stats on week 1!! And you positively destroyed goal 2! :D

If goal 3 feels challenging, scale it down a bit. Go to bed by 11 on 4 nights a week? Think of the absolute minimum that you think you could do, and go for it. And when you do get to bed by 11, take a moment to appreciate all the positive things it's doing to your health. That's a great reward :)

Have a great week 2!

Reading a few lines is easy, I suppose. :D

Ah well. Let's see if I can do better this week with the rest. I think I will move the bedtime to 23.30, which would be more realistic, and still a bit before midnight. Shouldn't make too big of a jump, maybe.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Reading a few lines is easy, I suppose. :D

Ah well. Let's see if I can do better this week with the rest. I think I will move the bedtime to 23.30, which would be more realistic, and still a bit before midnight. Shouldn't make too big of a jump, maybe.

You stuck to your goal, whether it's easy or not ;) And moving your bedtime is super smart! Maybe that's the way to do it - do 23.30 this challenge, 23.15 the next? Cut it down little by little :)

Eh, 11:30 still doesn't work, but mustn't go any later than that. And let's put up a bit of a story...

~~~~~

As Grumpy Hedgehog stepped through that stargate and found herself in a rather barren land. Some distance away she spotted a well-trodden pathway and decided to follow it to see where it would lead. After having walked for about half an hour, she came to a city that seemed to consist of rows upon rows of two-storey buildings, and there seemed to be nothing else but these, until she spotted a large building at the end of the street and at the top of a steep hill. No trees or even a blade of grass could be seen anywhere, and Grumpy frowned at the idea of spending more than an hour in such a dreary environment. Yet that was what she had to do.

As for blending in, the locals accepted her as one of their own and set her up in a room of one of the buildings. It was a boring room on the first floor with two beds, a table, and two simple chairs in it. Her roommate Bora turned out to be a very sociable person; that meant staying up night after night, listening to complaints about the hard life in this town, to which she added her own complaints, forgetting the instructions to practice gratitude.

Soon Grumpy felt a will not her own slowly taking over her mind and actions. Since she was aware of it, she kept reading the little instruction book provided to her as the means to remind her of her mission. It seemed to help a little against the encroachment of the foreign will, and she wondered that whoever it was controlling everyone could feel the resistance. And maybe she better do something before she was turned into just another body living in this town.

• Like 3

Ranger

Current challenge

The days seemed to drag on endlessly; and it seemed to Grumpy that the inhabitants of the planet did nothing else but complain, except for a few who emerged from the large building occasionally, hurrying to perform some duties or other. Besides, by now Grumpy was bored senseless, having found nothing to investigate in her near proximity; and she was extremely tired because of that silly roommate, and well... just grumpy.

However, one day she was approached by a very haughty and important looking individual who told her rather coldly, "We need someone to work in the food department. Come along!" No introductions, nothing... Grumpy Hedgehog wondered how they knew where she had worked before this mission and assumed that perhaps she had been detected as not really belonging here, and now she would be captured, scrutinized, maybe tortured.

"But you don't even..." she tried to object, but was rudely interrupted by the guy who had been sent to fetch exactly her, it seemed.

"You don't argue. Move it or I will put you in places worse than food department."

The guy was large, and grumpy was sure that fighting back would only cause her harm; besides he could probably get help from just about anyone around here. Besides, maybe it was her chance to find out what was really going on here. Unless she was completely mastered by that someone governing this planet.

Anyway, off she went to the large imposing building; rather, under it. She was guided down a few flights of steps into a maze of tunnels faintly lit by a torch here and there. Eventually they came into a room that did not resemble anything she could associate with food. There was dust, and dirt, and more of these, and a large tub where they were mixed with water to form mud. Maybe this was what they considered porridge? At any rate the mud was then shoveled into some sort of machine delivering it to the upper levels of the buildings.

"So... where's the food?" she turned to the messenger who had brought her here. To that he replied by pushing her forward towards the tub. "Observe now. You will work." With that he turned around and left promptly.

~~~~

Anyway, week 2 has been as hectic as week 1. Still loads of work, and in addition I had electrician come almost every day to fix the apartment up. Nice new cables, outlets and light switches everywhere, but torn wallpapers (old anyway) and floor that would needs tons of washing to get clean. Ooof!

Goal #1: 0/7

Goal #2: 7/7

Goal #3: 1/7

I might end up killing my Grumpy Hedgehog at this rate!

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Last week's stats:

Goal #1: 2/7

Goal #3: 2/7

Too much work is baaaaad! Stepped on the scale and found I am up to 78 kg now. And to think I had gotten to 69 kg last winter.... Ooooof. I have to watch out for 'too-much-work-dangerous-thing!

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Ensi, yeeeeeeees, a lot of work. 263 pages to translate till March 20. But must get back to workouts - helpful for the brain too.

Stealthstitcher, suppose I'll just have to finish that story then. ;)

Ranger

Current challenge

Week #4:

Goal #1: 2/7

Goal #3: 4/7

And total:

Goal #1: 5/28

Goal #2: 28/28

Goal #3: 7/28

And wrapping up of the story (probably not the very best ending, but something at least):

For a whole day Grumpy was constantly urged to work by her new supervisor; the moments when he left her alone were few and far between, and she used those moments to sit down and rest. There was no time to eat and even to talk, only work, work, and work. She felt like she could collapse any moment from extreme weariness, hunger and thirst, but then came one of the breaks again. Grumpy sat down on the floor as soon as her supervisor was gone. Expecting him to return any moment, she closed her eyes and waited, but he did not come.

Opening her eyes, she glanced around lazily. Now that she had a little bit of time (who knew how long it would last), she began to explore the place as far as she could see in near dark. Perhaps it was worth investigating where the pipeline for the mud led. Slowly she dragged herself up again and her left hand on the pipe began to move along it until she came to a wall. There seemed to be a small trap door beneath the pipeline - Grumpy groped along it, until her fingers touched something of the button in the very middle of the small door. It swung outwards, almost hitting her in the face, as she knelt by it.

"Right... Intended to kill, maybe?" she muttered to herself. Though the door must have a different purpose as well, one of letting the person to pass through to another room. That she did, crawling through it into a well-lit room on the other side. What she found there looked like some sort of a complicated machine. No one seemed to be guarding it, so she took her time to explore, and then began pushing random buttons and moving levers back and forth. At first nothing happened, but gradually the machine began to vibrate, and then smoke appeared. Afraid that the thing would explode, Grumpy retreated to the far corner and crouched down, covering her head with her arms. Yet the machine did not explode; instead, it stopped when the pipeline feeding the mud into it burst, and the room began filling with mud.

Suddenly it felt like a heavy blanket was lifted from her, and she felt refreshed and wide awake. She waded through the mud back to the trap door in order to escape and get back to Earth. She doubted that this machine was the famed Dismal; however, it must have been the cause of the depressed mood on this planet. She thought that these taking these news back to her commanders would be sufficient - let them send someone else to go after the real Dismal, if they want! She had done her part, or so she thought.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge