Buck Does Just About the Same | Part 2

UnknownUser

Since the new challenge format is 4 weeks instead of 6 and I don't feel like my goals have changed, i'll be continuing from last challenge. The next personal project that i've started on is a theme for my portfolio site. I'm currently using an absolutely fantastic theme by Elegant Themes. While that's nice, it is not hardly as impressive as being able to show a potential employer/client a site that utilizes a custom theme that I designed and developed myself. I'm not going to get even remotely close to the breadth of features that my current theme offers. However, the cool features that I do add will cater more to the portfolio portion of my site.

------

From last challenge:

Not necessarily in any order of importance:

1. Get in bed before 11 PM or as early as possible.

I've been really bad about getting to bed the last few weeks, and my sleep last challenge didn't go as planned either. I'm not sure what to do, other than force myself to go to bed on time. Maybe I should tell myself to JUST DO IT!

I got a handed-down Fitbit, so I can see what my sleep looks like. So far the average is ~7 hours a night, but i'd like to bump that up.

2. Eat healthy stuff that makes you feel good; avoid junk food.

I have a food/sleep/exercise/whatever log that i've got nearly 345 entries in. I've reduced the amount of fiber that i've been eating, and I feel much better. That's been working for the past month, which is great. I believe that the sandwiches and english muffins combined with the veggies and fruits were a bit too much for my stomach to handle.

3. Practice Aam Ka Jutsu 5 days a week; includes side-kicks.

The kicks are coming along. I'm still working on some bad habits, but I feel that they are much more solid than they were at the start.

If needed, i'll substitute with BW or kettlebell stuff.

4. Code stuff; work on your projects at least once a week, hopefully more.

I'm currently on winter break, so i'm going to have a lot of time for projects before school starts up again. Now is the time for me to go ham on the coding.

On the job front, I guess my seasonal employment is over, but I haven't been told officially that i'm done. Regardless, I did apply for the part-time position (to stay on) and edited the cover letter a bit to reflect my new experiences. Hopefully, i'll get it.

That's it. Pretty much the same as the last two. Last challenge, I tried to keep up with too many threads. I felt kinda bad about not staying up to date with all of them, so i'm picking two. I'll do my best to stay up to date with those two.

Feel free to follow along and call me out if I need it. Keep being awesome.

• Like 1
Jan 31st:

Food:

• Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 4 eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter and two cups of coffee
  • Lunch: a California burrito (takeout)
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 3 pork sausage links

Workout: N/A

Sleep:

11:00; 5:58 (6 hr 15 min)

Code:

- I imported the WordPress theme-testing data. It's really easy to do so getting that imported isn't a huge deal. Most of the day was spent on trying to finish physics homework.

February 1st:

Food:

• Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: a peanut butter sandwich on cinnamon-raisin bread
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich on cinnamon-raisin bread
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 4 eggs
Edit: I couldn't think of anything that I could prepare for lunch that wouldn't have been questionable after being in my backpack for 5 hours. Peanut butter sandwiches to the rescue.

Sleep:

12:02; 8:20 (7hr 49 min)

Code:

- I didn't do any. At least none that I wanted to. I did get half of my first CS HW project done.

---

Unless my schedule collapses, I plan on building on the forms and kicks that I did on Friday. Those knife-hands really work my arms!

Brain barf:

I have to come up with more creative ways to get myself to go to bed on time. I have 3 alarms to remind myself to go to bed, but I often feel that the work that I can get done while staying up late outweighs getting more shut-eye. I'm conscious of the fact that that makes no sense, but I still do it!

2nd:

Food:
  • Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 4 eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Snack: two cups of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 4 pork sausage links
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 2 pork sausage links

Workout:

80 front-punches, 80 front-kicks, 80 knife-hands, 165 side-kicks each side

Sleep:

11:10; 5:59 (6 hr 30 min)

Code:

- None. I did finish the CS homework though.

---

Hey man, glad to see you again. :)

With the sleep goal, have you considered simply setting an end-point for your work and stopping once you get there? I mean, it seems like it would help you to remember that the work will still be there when you come back, you know?

And you. I haven't talked to you since last month! :D

You are thinking that I should set a specific time and drop whatever i'm doing after I get to that point? I know that falling asleep at 10:30 PM and waking at 6 AM works (or at least it worked once). So then I could set 10 PM as my stopping point. That makes a lot of sense. I actually have an alarm set for 10 PM already, so really all that I need to do is obey it.

I like this song the most, out of the ones in the Discover Weekly playlist.

If you liked Rage by We Are Lambda from the last challenge, you may like Glory. https://soundcloud.com/we-are-lambda/glory-original
3rd:

Food:

• Snack: a cup of coffee
  • Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 3 hard-boiled eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Lunch: a baked sweet potato with 3 hard-boiled eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Snack: a hard-boiled egg
  • Dinner: a baked sweet potato with 3 hard-boiled eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Desert: a bowl of chocolate ice cream

Workout:

90 front-punches, 90 front-kicks, 90 knife-hands, 175 side-kicks each side

Sleep:

10:47; 6 (6hr 50 min)

Code:

- I started tinkering with the styles of the front-page and seeing how to best go about creating the more complicated bits of content.

4th:

Food:

• Breakfast: a baked sweet potato with 3 hard-boiled eggs and a cup of ground beef
  • Snack: a cup of coffee, and 2 tsp. of cinnamon-raisin peanut butter
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with ground beef
  • Snack: 3 tbsp. of cinnamon-raisin peanut butter
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 4 hard-boiled eggs

Workout:

stretched, and rolled my lower back and legs. My muscles were very tender.

There was a bit of discomfort in my back two days ago. So, I adjusted my computer set up a bit. I've now got both of my monitors elevated, so that should prevent me from craning my neck and messing up my posture.

Sleep:

11:18; 9:06 (8hr 24 min)

Code:

- I implemented basic styles. Things like the background, page alignment, and font-styles.

5th:

Food:

• Breakfast: a baked sweet potato with 4 hard-boiled eggs, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 2 eggs and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich
Workout:

15 min of bag work and 180 side-kicks each side. My kicks felt good, and my balance feels like it has greatly improved.

Sleep:

11:1; 6 (5 hr 49 min)

Code:

- none, I was concerned with HW

---

Unfortunately, i've been feeling off for the last two days. Both emotionally and physically.

6th:

Food:
  • Breakfast: a baked sweet potato with 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with chicken, and a pear
  • Desert: a peanut butter sandwich and half a cup of ice cream (I finished off what was left in the carton)
Workout:

hauled heavy desks around for 2 hours. My arms are tired.

Server towers are really freaking heavy. And big. And heavy.

Sleep:

11:10; 6 (6 hr 51 min)

Code:

- I got a little time to work on the main project, but I spent most of my time before noon helping 3-4 students whom were just beginning to code. I would have loved to have someone mentor me in web development when I was starting, so I enjoyed helping them out.

---

I love your breakfast, can I haz it?

I don't see why not. I recommend sprinkling cinnamon on the sausage and on the sweet potato. Tell me what you think.

I'm going to be running to the store to get more sweet potato this morning, I think. I'll need it if I want to make Monday's lunch ahead of time.

7th:

Food:

• Breakfast: a baked sweet potato with 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with chicken (~2 oz) and sauteed onion
  • Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Dinner: almost half of a 40 oz. porterhouse steak, a small pecan and sweet potato casserole, a bite of a jalapeno-corn dish, and a bite of a dark chocolate cake from Ruth's Chris

I went with the family to Ruth's Chris for dinner, for a birthday celebration. The steaks and sweet potato casserole tasted fantastic. Although it didn't taste like sweet potato, and more like pecan pie, I really want to try making that some time. I wonder if i'd be able to make the sweet potato flavor work, without a ton of sugar.

Workout:

Ran around the neighborhood with the dog at steady jog.

Sleep:

10:34; 6 (6hr 35min)

Code:

- worked on setting up an options page for the portfolio theme. Although it wasn't difficult, I rerouted my local server so that I could see the site on my iPhone. It's an old 5s, so if I can make the site look good on the phone, it's bound to look much better on desktop.

---

Today's music treat:

• Like 1
8th:

Food:

• Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: a baked sweet potato and 3 hard-boiled eggs
  • Dinner: 3 beef tacos on flour tortillas stuffed with 1 veggie bag (homemade)
  • Snack: 1 tsp. of peanut butter

The sweet potato and egg lunch went extremely well! It was still cool when I got to it around 1 PM (I had left the house around 8:30). :D

Sleep:

11:20; 5:59 (6 hr 9 min)

Code:

- I started to add options to the options page. I'm in the process of making the options modular, so that I can simply add front-page elements via the options instead of the code.

9th:

Food:

• Breakfast: a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: half a baked sweet potato with 2 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: half a baked sweet potato with 2 eggs, 3 pork sausage links
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 2 eggs

Workout:

2x20 squats with 25 lb KB, 10x10 swings with 25 lb KB

Sleep:

10:24; 7:29 (8 hr 28 min); I got up at 6, but went back to bed

Code:

- none, I did finish my CS HW though.

• Like 1
10th:

Food:

• Breakfast: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter, a pear, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with a cup of ground beef w/ onions
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with a cup of ground beef w/ onions

Workout:

15 mins of bag work; I worked a little more on my right than the left since the right is a bit slower.

Sleep:

11:10; 6 (6 hr 21 min)

Code:

- none :(

11th:

Food:

• Breakfast: a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 3 pork sausage links
  • Lunch: a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a cup of coffee
Workout:

16 mins of stick work on the bag.

Sleep:

11:23; 8:52 (7 hr 51 min)

Code:

- got the theme options page started, tweaked some styles on the front end, and started implementing my year counters as codes I can pop into the WordPress post editors.

---

First of all, Tuesday's workout has left me with some serious DOMS (it's fading though). I thought that I was being cautious, but my lower body and lower back don't agree. I'm going to work through it.

Second of all, I saw the Deadpool movie yesterday. It was freaking hilarious. In Deadpool's honor, i'll be attempting to make chimichangas for lunch. If it turns out well, which i'm sure it will, i'll post pictures in the Monastery kitchen.

Edit: Today's tunes...

• Like 1

I am a sucker for about, like, 98% of the music you post here. The remaining 2% is also good, but it just doesn't suit my tastes. Which I'm sure reflects poorly on my ability to appreciate, but I'm not a perfect person. :'D

Also, yeah man, that kettlebell will sneak up on you. It doesn't feel like much until all of a sudden it does, and you get this sinking feeling of Oh-God-What-Have-I-Done. Backing off from it was probably wise - I've failed to do that in the past and really paid a heavy price for it in terms of soreness and recovery time.

Remember - it's an explosive hinging motion. You should not feel a stretch or much working in your lower back. It's all glutes and hamstrings. Snap with the hips and tense the glutes like you're trying to crush a walnut; brace the abs like you're taking a punch.

One other thing that's really helped me is to not worry about where the bell is going. You're not doing Crossfit, so you don't need to worry about swinging this thing up above your head. Instead, focus on explosively bringing your body to a straight line. Your arms will tell you where the bell is and when it's coming back.

Hopefully that helps!

12th:

Food:
  • Breakfast: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 2 chimichangas stuffed with shredded chicken, tomatoes, peppers, and onion
  • Dinner: 2 burritos with shredded chicken, tomatoes, peppers, and onion

Workout:

1x20 squats BW, 4x10 squats with 25 lb KB, 10x10 swings with 25 lb KB

Sleep:

11:23; 6 (6 hr 21 min)

Code:

- finished setting up the shortcode for the counters. I was finally able to get the counters lined up on mobile. The elements looked perfectly centered on desktop, but on mobile they were shifted to the right slightly.

---

I am a sucker for about, like, 98% of the music you post here. The remaining 2% is also good, but it just doesn't suit my tastes. Which I'm sure reflects poorly on my ability to appreciate, but I'm not a perfect person. :'D

Also, yeah man, that kettlebell will sneak up on you. It doesn't feel like much until all of a sudden it does, and you get this sinking feeling of Oh-God-What-Have-I-Done. Backing off from it was probably wise - I've failed to do that in the past and really paid a heavy price for it in terms of soreness and recovery time.

Remember - it's an explosive hinging motion. You should not feel a stretch or much working in your lower back. It's all glutes and hamstrings. Snap with the hips and tense the glutes like you're trying to crush a walnut; brace the abs like you're taking a punch.

One other thing that's really helped me is to not worry about where the bell is going. You're not doing Crossfit, so you don't need to worry about swinging this thing up above your head. Instead, focus on explosively bringing your body to a straight line. Your arms will tell you where the bell is and when it's coming back.

Hopefully that helps!

I'm glad you like it. That percentage is higher than I would have imagined! I'm quite ruthless when it comes to liking/disliking music. Everyone has different tastes and some are shared.

That advice really does help. I was trying extra hard to not use my back, while keeping it tight. It felt like I was snapping with the hips to bring the bell up and then bending them on the swing down. I recorded the workout to double-check, so i'm going to take a look at that.

Oh and let me know what you think of this one, it's a favorite of mine:

https://soundcloud.com/envyofficial/env-vee

It's from Electronic Super Joy which is difficult as nails, but an awesome soundtrack. Here's Jesse Cox's play through if you're interested:

Edit: wrong date. oops!

13th:

Food:

• Breakfast: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs and 3 pork sausage
  • Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: 1 large and 2 small baked chimichangas (with veggies, chicken, and rice)
  • Dinner: 1 large baked chimichanga (with veggies, chicken, and rice)
  • Snack: a peanut butter sandwich with a drizzle of honey

Workout:

2 hrs of yard work, but nothing other than that.

Sleep:

11:05; 9:23 (9 hr 31 min)

Code:

- I fixed up the styles for the site logo and title, and the site navigation.

14th:

Food:
  • Breakfast: a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 2 cups of oats with a tbsp. of chocolate chips and a handful of strawberries
  • Lunch: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, and 1 tsp. of peanut butter
  • Snack: a clementine, 4 tsp. of peanut butter, and a cup of tea
  • Snack: 2 clementines

Sleep:

11:03; 8:31 (8 hr 40 min)

Code:

- I started working on limiting spacing on the counters, but changed my mind. So nothing got accomplished.

---

Ugh, i'm sick from the lawn work. I'm gonna do my best to get better. Thankfully, i've got tomorrow off as well. Coffee and scratchy foods are da best!

Ooh ooh, I like it. Good stuff. Cool. :D I am not so ruthless when it comes to liking disliking music. I tend to think more in genres than anything else - no money so can't patronize any particular artist, nah mean?

I get what ya mean. Same here.

---

Edit: I forgot some of the things that I ate.

15th:

Food:

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, 3 pork sausage links, a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: a peanut butter sandwich and 3 clementines
  • Snack: 2 clementines
  • Dinner: 1 veggie bag with 3 eggs, and 3 pork sausage links

Sleep:

10:21; 9:51 (10 hr 20 min)

Code:

- nope.

---

I feel much better today, woot!

16th:

Food:

• Breakfast: none
  • Lunch: peanut butter on toast, 2 clementines, and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 3 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of coffee
  • Dinner: two bowls of paleo shepherd's pie

Workout:

Went for a walk, that's about it.

Sleep:

10:50; 6 (6 hr)

Code:

- I started working on the project shortcode. I made a little progress and found a bug.

---

I feel muuuuuuuuch better, still a bit sniffly though. Also, the shepherd's pie was really good. I made some with the family and I let them add evaporated milk into the mashed sweet potato. I think that messed with the sweet potato's flavor. As you can see from my previous updates, I prefer eating plain sweet potato. Eh, it still tasted good over all.