Blue Rogue Broadcast: Big Adam embarks on a quest (or two)

Big Adam

Hey All!  Whew, these 4-week challenges move fast, huh?  My Health goals will be very similar to my last challenge, with just a few tweaks integrating things that I learned last challenge.  On the life side of things, I'll be tackling two items on my Epic Quest list.

Diet and Exercise: Stick with what works:

1. Bodyweight Circuit 2-3x/week.

2. Full Paleo Diet + don’t buy any fruit, nuts, dairy.

Mobility: Squat Yoga:  Daily Squat Yoga from Nerdfitness Yoga.  Shoulder Yoga is an optional addition if I have time, but I’m only holding myself to daily Squat Yoga.  

Sleep: Aim to get consistent sleep (Continuation from last challenge

Aim for 10:30 bedtime on weeknights. 11: 00 bedtime on Weekends

If events keep me up later than 11 bedtime on weekends, I won't sleep past 8:30 AM.  I think that sleeping in kills my circadian rhythm as much or more than actually staying up late.

Life: 2 Epic Quests:

Now I’m really excited about this stuff.  While reading Steve’s book, I got a pretty good idea of what I want to focus on learning/doing this year and broke those things down into questlines.  For this challenge, I’ll be tackling two questlines, since together they only take about half an hour from each day.

French Questline. The ultimate goal here is to become fluent in French.  The boss fight in this questline is to travel to a French-Speaking country and spend a day speaking only in French.  This is something I want to do for its own sake, but it will also be an invaluable skill when I apply to the Peace Corps - especially if I end up somewhere in Africa like I want.

I’m a long way off from tackling the boss.  I’ll focus on the Level One Quest for now.Listen to a French-Learning Podcast every day for a Month.  The podcast format is perfect for me, because I can practice in the car in my ride to work.

Level One French Quest Reward: Make an iTalki account and sign up for some weekly lessons.  To qualify, I must miss no more than 4 days over the course of this challenge barring extraordinary circumstances.

Writing Questline. This one is a bit of an experiment.  I don’t know where this will take me.  I’ve always kind of wanted to write and had a dream of someday writing an adventure novel, but never took much action or did much writing outside of school.  I only have a Level-1 Quest figured out for this so far.  15 minutes of free-writing each day for a Month. I don’t know how one gets better at writing other than to just, well, write. If anyone knows of any resources or books to read on story-writing, I’d welcome your advice!

Dailies:

Squat Yoga

French Podcast

15-Min free-write:

Bed
Diet

Weeklies:

2-3 Bodyweight Workouts

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

716.gif

I've been doing the same thing with writing thanks to Steve's book - just write, 15-20 minutes a day!  It's helping!! :)

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

I'll be watching your language quest with interest - I'm going on holiday there in October and need to find a way to resurrect my schoolboy French in time!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

716.gif

I've been doing the same thing with writing thanks to Steve's book - just write, 15-20 minutes a day!  It's helping!! :)

Nice!  I actually started doing it for the week before I launched this challenge and I've been enjoying it!  I don't know how the actual quality is - I suppose I'll evaluate that as I re-read what I've written - but I've found it to be a very meditative activity and one that I enjoy.  We shall see what comes of it.

I'll be watching your language quest with interest - I'm going on holiday there in October and need to find a way to resurrect my schoolboy French in time!

I initially read this too quickly and thought you were telling me to watch my language.  I also took French back in high school.  I don't remember much of it but hopefully it'll start coming back once I dive back into it!

Also, Damn. I forgot to add tags to my topic.  Hate it when I do that.  There's no way to add them after creating a topic, is there?

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Also, Damn. I forgot to add tags to my topic.  Hate it when I do that.  There's no way to add them after creating a topic, is there?

OH I KNOW

Edit your first post on this thread, then under the big box with your stuff in it choose 'use full editor', then you can edit tags!

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

Oooooh squats!  Those will really put your life into perspective.  

What kind of writing are you doing?  Are you trying to work out a story now, or just noodling around?

Good to see you moving forward with big life goals - subbed and following!

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Oooooh squats!  Those will really put your life into perspective.  

What kind of writing are you doing?  Are you trying to work out a story now, or just noodling around?

Good to see you moving forward with big life goals - subbed and following!

Hey you!  At the moment, I'm just noodling around in my writing.  I'm still pretty solidly in the Underpants Collection stage with this goal and this challenge is more to build a habit than to create anything.  Though, who knows? Maybe something will come of it.  I have a story or two in the back of my mind.  So far I've just been doing a self-biography for my own edification.  I've always felt weird doing "about me" sections in profiles and such and I'm hoping that writing everything out will help me distill my own "our story so far..." down to the main points.

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Day 2 Update (this update frequency will not last long)

There really is no other DOMS like Deadlift DOMS.  I deadlifted on Sunday for the first time since mid-December-ish.  Not too terribly heavy.  I went about 10 lbs less than my previous lift-session in December.  It wasn't that hard, but ooooh man I felt it yesterday and today.  Lower back, shoulders, hammies.  All wonderfully sore.  It's a nice feeling.  My Bodyweight workouts don't tear me up the way a good barbell does.

The week thus far has been uneventful, but I have a Chili Cookoff at work on Thursday.  Last year, I got really creative with pumkin-chicken chili (http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/poultry/pumpkin-chicken-chili-2/) but lost to my coworker's classic beer+beef+beans+brown sugar chili.  I'm going to take another run at the title this year with the Spicy Pineapple chili (http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/beef/spicy-pineapple-chili/).  I'll make that tonight then taste-test it tomorrow and tweak it with additional spices as needed for the competition.  If it wins, awesome.  If not, I'll still have a batch of delicious chili for myself.

Dailies:

Squat Yoga: 2/2 (plus shoulder yoga today)

French Podcast: 2/2

15-Min free-write: 2/2

Bed: Day 1 check!
Diet: Day 1 check!

Weeklies:

2-3 Bodyweight Workouts: 1/3

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Wow, fancy chili time!  I have never even thought of putting pineapple in chili, although I fancy myself an unusual-chili aficionado! 

Writing noodling is important,  man!  Every day you sit down and put words from your brain onto something that isn't your brain, that's Writing Credit in the bank, and when it is time to put together a story, you'll have a good solid foundation to jump off of!  Mixed metaphors!  I've spent the last two months or so just building the habit of doing a one-page free-write every day, and lemme tell you, the karma builds up!

In case you're looking for a little inspirational reading, this is highly recommended, both by myself and by the fabulous Rog Law:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1319.The_War_of_Art

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Good work mate.  I can't wait to start lifiting with the actual bar!

Will this be your first foray into lifting weights? You're gonna make really quick progress once you start going.

Wow, fancy chili time!  I have never even thought of putting pineapple in chili, although I fancy myself an unusual-chili aficionado! 

Writing noodling is important,  man!  Every day you sit down and put words from your brain onto something that isn't your brain, that's Writing Credit in the bank, and when it is time to put together a story, you'll have a good solid foundation to jump off of!  Mixed metaphors!  I've spent the last two months or so just building the habit of doing a one-page free-write every day, and lemme tell you, the karma builds up!

In case you're looking for a little inspirational reading, this is highly recommended, both by myself and by the fabulous Rog Law:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1319.The_War_of_Art

That is quite the endorsement!  I will add it to the book list!

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Will this be your first foray into lifting weights? You're gonna make really quick progress once you start going.

Yeah, back when I used to triathlon I did a few half-arsed gym routines but that was mainly low weights and prehab-type stuff.  Couldn't do anything heavy, it would have wrecked the legs for the excessive amounts of running & cycling that took precedence...

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Week 1, Day 4

So far I've been consistent with everything within my direct control.  Sleep has been iffy.  I went to bed at 10:30 Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but couldn't sleep and ended up being awake till midnight-ish.  I must admit that I was, on those nights, on the computer after 9:30.  I doubt that was the sole reason for my insomnia, but it was probably a factor.  Computer's going off by 9 at the latest tonight.  I could really use a good night's sleep after two 6-hour nights in a row.

Had the chili cook off today at work.  I didn't win, but I did get some props for having the most unique chili.  The winning entry was your standard, beer, beans, beef spicy chili.  I thought there were better chili's in the running (even without counting my own), but ah well.  For anyone who's looking to make some chili, I highly recommend the Spicy Pineapple chili recipe from CivilizedCaveman.  I used that as a base and then added some additional poblano peppers and dried arbol chili peppers to add some extra heat.  The base recipe is quite mild, but once you add a little extra spice, it's phenomenal. Plus it's paleo and has bacon in it!

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

I LOVE CHILI.

I made some pulled chicken chili for bulk lunches a few weeks ago.  It's the perfect time of year for it!  Chili with BEANS, yes, and maybe a side of cornbread???

I have never tried it with pineapple but the flavors seem like they would really jive well together!

tumblr_inline_o1upf0Gv0p1shlukv_500.gif

• Like 1

Friday Update!

200.gif

Sorry, not sorry.

So far, everything's been a solid success besides sleep and a pair of diet exceptions.  I did get about 7.5 hours of sleep last night, but still dragged through the afternoon today.  I took a nap when I got home.  I know it's going to make sleep difficult tonight, but I needed it so bad.  I did a hard workout right after it which I'm hoping will help knock me out tonight.  My diet slip-ups were some beans on Thursday (from sampling various chili's at work) and a bunch of tortilla chips with hummus today.  My friend told me there were sweet potato chips in the break room.  They were really corn chips with sweet potato in them, but I was already in there and I caved.  A small defeat, to be sure, but I can't help but wonder if it's all these small defeats that keep me from losing any additional body fat.

In workout news:

Workout #s:                      Mon:                  Wed:                                                                                   Fri:

Crow Stand:                     60, 60, 55             60, 60, 60   ****LEVEL UP: Wall Handstand Holds*****   18, 25, 20

Asst. 1-Leg Squats:          4, 4, 4                   4, 4, 4                                                                                 4, 4, 4  

Pullups:                            10, 9, 7                 10, 9, 7                                                                               10, 9, 7  

Uneven Pushups              8, 8, 8                   9, 8, (8/7)                                                                            9, 8, (8/6)

In good news: Time for Wall Handstand Holds!  The march toward Handstand pushups continues!  Although I didn't add any volume to my assisted one-legged squats, they are becoming smoother.  I don't know if it's the squat yoga, my body acclimating to the movement, or both, but they're getting better.  I'll add volume slowly for these because I really want to get the form down.

Unfortunately, it looks like my pushups and pullups have plateaued. I'm having trouble getting past 8,8,8 and 9,9,9 - respectively.  I did a burnout set at the end of my workout today where I did negative pullups and normal pushups until I could do no more.  After a weekend of recovery, I'll see if I can bust through on Monday.  If not, I'll lower the reps a bit and then work back up to here.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week One Update!

Dailies:

Squat Yoga: 7/7 (plus 4 shoulder-yoga sessions)

French Podcast: 7/7

15-Min free-write: 7/7

Bed: 3/7
Diet: 5/7

Weeklies:

2-3 Bodyweight Workouts: 3 Bodyweight Workouts + Sunday Deadlifts

Sunday Deadlift Numbers: 5 x 135, 155, 185, 210, 210, 210

I really love doing the daily Squat Yoga.  In general, my hips feel much looser and less stiff.  My assisted one-legged squats feel smoother, though they remain quite ugly.  I think that Ankle Mobility is my biggest limiting factor on Squats, so I've been doing toe pose throughout the day when sitting on the floor or watching TV.

It continues to be difficult for me to get to bed consistently, but I think tracking it is helping me better understand y sleep habits.  Screens after 9 seem to be a big distruptor, but staying up late on weekends may not be as big of a factor as I originally thought.  I was up until 11:50 and 12:30 on Friday and Saturday, but woke up before 8:30 on both days and was able to fall asleep around 11 fairly easy on Sunday.  I'll try to be more consistent in turning off screens after 9 this week and see what affect it has.

I made some extra epic quest progress this weekend.  I'm taking Swing Dance lessons right now, and one of my Swing Dance Quest items is to go to Five Public Dances and dance with at least 4 people at each.  I went to a dance on Saturday and danced with at least 10 people.  It was a blast.  I wish I'd learned to dance sooner (what Adam says every time he tries something new: "I wish I'd tried x sooner").  I practiced the steps I've been learning in class, got exercise, chatted up several pretty young ladies, and heard some great music.  I've got another dance planned for next weekend!

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

The Squat Mobility video really is a godsend, isn't it? I do violently hate Toe Pose however, probably because of my appalling ankles...

• Like 1

The Squat Mobility video really is a godsend, isn't it? I do violently hate Toe Pose however, probably because of my appalling ankles...

Haha.  Yeah, I have a rough time with it too.  My feet begin to ache about halfway through, but that tells me that it's working!

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Week 2, Day 3:

So far, this week has been a success in every element but sleep.  Ah, sleep.  Why must you be so elusive? On Monday, I'm pretty sure that the guilty party was the after-work nap I took.  Last night... I don't know.  Sometimes my body is just weird like that.  My sleepless nights tend to come in pairs for some reason.  

On the plus side, everything else is going well!  I was able to make progress with my pushups during my Monday workout.  Pullups continue to be stuck at 9, 9, 9 and I can't make the shift to 10, 9, 9.  I'm going to lower the volume down to 8,8,8 today and work back up to where I was.

Free-Writing and French continue to go well.  It's quite easy to get the podcast in during my daily commute or when cooking and I can always spare 15 minutes to write.  With the french, I feel as though I'm ready to dive in and get an iTalki teacher now, but I'm going to wait until the end of this challenge and give it to myself as a reward for being consistent with the Podcasts.

Oh yeah, and it's snowing here again.  Nothing like two weeks ago, but we got a couple inches.  I'm working from home today because screw dealing with day-after-snowstorm traffic.  And because my office is celebrating the Chinese New Year and I'd rather not deal with the temptation of General Tsao's chicken when I'm on short sleep.

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

If you can't add more to the first set yet, why not try a 9,9,9,1 then 9,9,9,2 etc., then shoot for the 10,9,9 after you hit 9,9,9,9? Still builds volume, just in a slightly different direction.

• Like 1

If you can't add more to the first set yet, why not try a 9,9,9,1 then 9,9,9,2 etc., then shoot for the 10,9,9 after you hit 9,9,9,9? Still builds volume, just in a slightly different direction.

Capital Idea!  This is what I ended up doing tonight.  Just tacked on an extra pullup and an extra pushup for each arm.  I'll probably shoot for 10,9,9 once I build up to 9,9,9, 4-or-5

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

I'm sooo late getting to this thread, but I had to drop in to say that our unit chili cook off is Friday, and I don't want to join even though I know my chili is kickass. It's unique too although it does contain beer, but butternut squash instead of beans, real dried whole chiles, and brisket. I just don't want to spend the money and effort to have 7 Can Something crush my hopes. :/

Those recipes are definitely unique though. I'll have to try ten sometime. I love trying different people's chili recipes.

• Like 1

Oh man, that chili sounds good.  I love butternut squash.  Is yours your own recipe or one online.  Either way, would you be willing to share it?  I'm planning to batch cook some chili this weekend.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Umm, popping in to second the request for that chili recipe.  I would like to put that in my face.

Also, hi Adam!  Yeah, smaller sets will definitely move you forward!

• Like 2