Agnarr: The Legend of a Banished Man

Agnarr

Legend of a Banished Man

**this challenge features Rurik the wolfhunter from Urban[Wolf] by our own Wild Wolf**

477908642.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F13A1

The forest was throbbing with the sound of animal nightlife. The noises made by bugs and the nervous wondering of rodents bared witness of the never sleeping force of wildlife.

The warrior listened to this medley of sounds like it was an orchestra playing just for him. Sitting on a branch, resting his back against the trunk of the tree he began to fall asleep. He had strapped himself to the tree to avoid falling over if he tilted to one side or the other while sleeping.  The last thought that crossed his mind was of gratitude for the ongoing summer that allowed him to safely sleep in the wilds.

He opened his eyes. Something was off. Judging by the darkness only a few hours had passed since he fell asleep. There was still plenty of work to do for the night inhabitants of the summer forest. Yet it seemed like the forest itself was holding its breath.

The warrior loosened the straps and searched his surroundings with an axe in one hand and a saex in the other. The shield was still tied to the tree…

ml_saex.jpg

The Saex or sax is a big knife/small sword tipically used by saxon and germanic people

He smelled the man in the way wolves do before hearing the steps on the soft leaves that covered the ground. He jumped to a lower branch and instantly to the floor, landing right behind the stranger.

“You are too far from the main road to be just passing by†the warrior said as he pressed the seax against the man’s back â€I’m no brigand nor am I a murderer but I won’t hesitate to kill you, so don’t give me a reasonâ€

“oh, but that’s exactly why I’m here…†the warrior noticed the chainmail under the man’s cloak â€...wolf!â€

The man suddenly turned around hitting the warrior in the face with the back of his fist. The warrior backed off and raised his guard. The man ditched the cloak and stepped directly under the moonlight that made it’s way through the roof of leaves. The tall bearded man was wearing a mail hauberk and carried no shield, only an axe. And it was no wonder for it was the most ridiculous axe the wolfwarrior had ever seen. Ludicrously oversized and clearly to heavy to be wielded properly. One thing caught the wolf’s attention the most: the axe was double bitted. A waste of good steel. Obviously he had no idea of weapon handling or he wouldn’t be carrying that abomination. That man probably was the son of a lesser noble who fancied himself a werewolf hunter or an adventure-seeking merchant who got scammed by a weaponsmith.

Hauberk-Italian.jpg

A hauberk

“Go home lad, I take no pleasure in killing sheepâ€

“Sheep? Sheep?! I’m Rurik, you beast! Remember my name for I’ll be the one to send you to Hellâ€

“Alright...Rurik… tell me mate, how exactly are you planning on sending me to the cold embrace of Loki’s daughter?†the warrior found Rurik’s confidence entertaining.

“With this!†The hunter cleared the 2 meters between him and the wolfwarrior in two steps and swinged his axe with lightning speed. So fast that the warrior could barely lean back to avoid being beheaded, but an inch of his beard was severed right away. Clearly that thing was sharp.

Rurik kept on swinging that monstrous axe like it weighed nothing and the warrior just kept dodging and dancing to avoid the deadly double-bitted head. Suddenly his back hit a tree. There was no place to go and the axehead was traveling through the air aimed right at his forehead. As the wolfwarrior dodged the blow the axe got stuck in tree behind him.“It’s now or never†he thought and took a swing with his axe at Rurik’s head.

The hunter dodged the blow but the warrior was already backswinging and the butt of the handle caught Rurik right in the jaw, knocking him to the ground. Although the wolfwarrior raised his guard again, Rurik didn’t move at all... He was unconscious.

“Glass-jawed bitch†muttered the werewolf as he sheathed his axe and seax. “let's have a look at thisâ€. He ripped Rurik’s axe out of the tree trunk. It was at the least 6 times heavier than his own axe. He walked towards the fallen hunter and as he raised the weapon overhead for the finishing blow, Rurik opened his eyes and swept the werewolf’s legs in a swift motion. He felt like he was falling in slow motion “I can’t believe I fell for thatâ€. His head hit the ground and the oversized weapon flew out of his hands. Rurik was frantic: “you filthy beast, you can’t kill me! I was banished, cursed until I end every last one of your kin, and by the gods, tonight I’ll be one wolf closerâ€. And so began the axe dance once again, but this time the horn of Ruriks battleaxe drew a cut through the warrior’s tunic and into his flesh. This dance kept on going for what it seemed like an eternity and the wound was not healing. He had to turn, there wasn’t a choice.

van-helsing-werewolf-o.gif

The hair began to grow all over his body, and his clothings teared as the shape of a humanoid wolf began to replace the human. “oh no, not tonight†growled Rurik as he jumped at the lycan. The hunter’s bare hands grabbed the transforming man’s throat but it was too late. The giant claw knocked him to the side and the whole beast followed along.

Werewolf-1.jpg

Now the lycan had the upper hand. The blows did not manage to spread Rurik’s ribcage open due to the high quality riveted chainmail but the sound of the ribs cracking was perfectly audible. The warrior was in a frenzy. All of a sudden the attack lost some of it’s drive; stunned, the werewolf stared at his chest: all around his wound, the werewolf fur was falling off, showing bare human skin. Just Like that he turned back to human form… it wasn’t just a heavy axe after all.

Rurik stood up with the torn chainmail hanging from his shoulders. He was in such a rage that with a firm pull, opened the few rings that held the mail together and grabbed his axe. The wolfwarrior was almost naked,  only half his trousers and pieces of his tunic remained,  let alone any weapons. He raised his fists and prepared for a final stand.

The ulfhedinn intercepted the rushing hunter with a jab and a cross to the face. Rurik, with a broken nose and blood coming out of his mouth, kicked the warrior to the ground. He was just too weak from the blood loss.

He landed on something hard. It was his seax! The hunter went for the killing blow but the warrior had already raised the short sword with both hands runing him through. Without a second of waste the ulfhedinn stabbed Rurik a second time causing him to drop the axe, which he grabbed and with a last effort sunk on the hunter’s back down to the handle.

Despite of his injury, the wolfwarrior parched up his wound, reached for the spare clothes on his bag and left the forest behind.

The sky was still dark when a banished man rose from the dead once again.

“Fucking Wolf,  that was my good hauberk…†Rurik muttered while sheathing the axe that not long ago was stuck on his back â€...you are gonna pay for thisâ€

In order not to die at the hands of the hunter, the Ulfhedinn must be quick and dextrous. For that reason, this challenge will focus on practicing my handstands and elbow lever as well as box jumps.

As some of you perhaps remember, I've brought iron back into my life on the holiday mini, but I have not been serious about it. in this challenge I'll install a mandatory lifting day a week.
I'll be adding some sidequests tomake sure I get sh*t done.

GOALS

• Practice handstands, elbow lever and box jumps 4 times a Week(log every session on thread or it will not count for progressbar)
  • Lift acording 5x5 plan every thursday(also log every session or it will not count for progress bar)
  • Eat paleo with 2 weekly variances(log comosition or pic of said meal or it will not count for progress bar)

SIDE QUESTS

• Practice 5 min a day with the didgeridoo and not more than 5 minutes.
  • Build one or more of this home gym improvements(did I ever mention I'm DYB bitch, lol)
    • ​Medicine ball(10%)
    • T handle(10%)
    • Squat stands(40%)
    • Bench(40%)
  • ​Make a daily "Stuff to Do" 4 item list, post it on my thread and do the stuff

So, every item on the "goals" list is worth 15%, 15% and 55% respectively and the "side quests" represent 5% each. According to this set up, all individual results are considered as non percetual results(a.k.a without the %) so that they yield a numbre between 0 and 100. Rewards will come depending on the  final outcome.

A= 100 - 90

B= 89 - 80

C= 79 - 70 

below those values... I simply don't care

REWARDS

A- New pack of plates for the barbell

B- Pull-up bar for the door

C- Kindle version of "The Primal Blueprint"

• Like 5

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

yeah! challenge is up!

Bodyweight skills session: IN. 40 minutes:

• 20 pushups,
  • 20 pistol-squats w/ each leg,
  • handstands until failure(seriously my arms were trembling),
  • 10 box jumps(50 cm high, 1m away),
  • 20 lunges w/each leg,
  • 20 dips on the paralettes
  • and for a elbow lever practice I just planked with the lower half of my body suspended above the staircase... kind of like this dude, but with stairs instead of beer crates

Lifting:Not Thursday so...NOPE

Paleo Eating: Roasted pork with escarole, tomato, onion and beetroot salad.

20160201_213900_zpslkvstmxb.jpg

Didgeridoo:5 minutes of practice. wanted to practice more but I held myself. The point is to keep it interesting! I worked on the circular breathing and changing the sound with my cheeks and diaphragm.

Homegym Improvement: Nothing yet, but I intend to buy salt and duct tape for the madicine ball tomorrow.

Stuff to Do List: â€‹

• Talk to this guy about his situation in ARME Vik(the reenactment group)
  • Talk to that gal about the same subject
  • Organice attendance to the reenactment even in march
  • Provide one of th new guys with study material in scandinavik everyday life in the middle ages.

Day one rangered! my lats and upper back are still burning... DOMS shall be terrible

• Like 5

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Whoa!!!! That was brilliant well done my friend! You did the character justice and I'm sure our RL Rurik will get a kick outta this :)

Subbing!!

Wolf

"Let the Broomstick do the talking."

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Great start to the challenge.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm here to support one of my wolf brethren

4ca9a13e.gif

I'm loving the crossover story!  And of course, I'm also here for the hand balancing and DIY gym stuff.  :)

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I heard a didgeridoo off in the distance and had to come investigate...

Looking forward to all the awesome! Want to learn how to build some stuff for my home gym from watching you.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I heard a didgeridoo off in the distance and had to come investigate...

Looking forward to all the awesome! Want to learn how to build some stuff for my home gym from watching you.

I should be making the medicine ball today. I'll be glad to put up a tutorial if you are interested

• Like 3

Today's Stuff To Do List

• Buy salt pellets and ductape for the medicine ball project.
  • Talk to this guy about his reenactment equipment
  • Pay the pool's monthly fee before the administration office closes(I'm always late)
  • Work on finishing my lamellar armor
  • Like 2

I know STD means Sh*t To Do here on your thread, but FYI in the U.S. it means...

something else. ;)

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I know STD means Sh*t To Do here on your thread, but FYI in the U.S. it means...

something else. ;)

I thought the same thing

• Like 2

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

Lunch was an awesome butternut and zapallito pumpking(you know, the green little round ones)stew which I had a pic taken of, but my cellphone decided not to store it due to lack of storing space without letting me know. ¬¬ I'm still counting it tho

• Like 2

damn... I don't even dare to click on that link... I'm changing it

Wise choice

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

It's a safe for work link, to the Centers for Disease Control.

• Like 1

It's a safe for work link, to the Centers for Disease Control.

I wasn't that I thought it was a NSFW link... I just realized the "S" stood for Sexual(ly) and the rest just fell in place... Thanks for letting me know by the way! I was like 

1261.gif

As promised, DIY medicine ball for traditional exercises and whatever it is that crossfit dudes do with those things.

You will need:

• A cheap basketball(I used an old punctured one so it costed nothing)
  • Common Salt(not the fine runny one, but the coarser kind of salt. Ideally salt pellets)
  • Duct tape(not much. I ended up using a roll that had a few meters left instead of buying a new one) 
  • Funnel
  • knife
  • permanent marker(Optional)

20160202_180103_zps1a2gkm8u.jpg

1- First of all, you gotta cut the ball open. Just a litle X shaped cut, big enough for the funnel to fit through.

20160202_175542_zpsyghjbmyr.jpg20160202_175618_zpsfyfbhwsy.jpg

2- Next, insert the funnel through the hole and fill the ball with the salt

20160202_175921_zpsaaexevyp.jpg

3- Cover the hole with ductape and add some stripes across the ball. Then do the same but perpendicular to the first stripes of tape. Of course you could cover the entire ball in ductape but it would be an overkill.

20160202_180744_zpsxyzzler2.jpg

You are done! 

20160202_181140_zpsuf4gy4o3.jpg

If you feel like it, you can add some swanky graphic details to your ball... or if you're like me and don't have any talent for drawing, just add a personal touch.

20160202_184514_zpsxmxkuuar.jpg

• 7kg(15.4lbs) of salt= $57
  • ball=$0 since it was reclaimed trash($70 if bought new)
  • ductape=$0(I used like 2m of a used up roll, so it costed nothing. If you buy a new one it'll set you back $55)

TOTAL COST= $57(about $5,50 in US dollars)

Total cost if I had to buy everything= $182(14 US dollars)

Cost of a commercial 7kg medicine ball made in Argentina= $350(25,50 US dollars)

So even if you had to buy everything you are saving money and if , like me, you have some of the stuff lying around, even more money saved.

Week 1 Day 2

Bodyweight Skills: 15min session before going to the pool

• 10 box jumps
  • 10min of handstands trying to hold for as long as I could

Lifting: Not yet. looking forward to thursday's lifting session

Paleo Eating:

• Lunch: butternut and zapallito pumpking stew
  • Dinner: Stuffed chickenbreast with tomato and lettucce salad

20160202_2143411_zpsngxgrayz.jpg

No breakfast, no snacks(probably not the best choice)

​

Didgeridoo: 5min IN. I'm loving it so far

Homegym Improvement: Made a medicine ball

Stuff To Do List:

• Buy salt pellets and ductape for the medicine ball project.
  • Talk to this guy about his reenactment equipment
  • Pay the pool's monthly fee before the administration office closes(I'm always late)
  • Work on finishing my lamellar armor

Here is a pic of the armor in progress. 

20160202_2255391_zpsgvgflrer.jpg

It's missing some shoulderstraps for it to be fully functional. I might add some aesthetic detailing later on, but for now I can't wait to get it battle-ready

• Like 11

I'm really glad I took the time to check your challenge tonight, Agnarr.  That story was epic, and thank you for the honor of featuring my character in your story!

But I have to ask, between you and Wolfie's characterization of me, am I really such an asshole?  :P  haha

Whoa!!!! That was brilliant well done my friend! You did the character justice and I'm sure our RL Rurik will get a kick outta this :)

I surely did.

20160202_184514_zpsxmxkuuar.jpg

That is one wicked homemade medicine ball, and the lamellar armor isn't too shabby either!  Can't wait to see the finished product, brother!

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Much ranger. Very wow. So self-reliant. 

I love the custom touch on the madicine ball!

• Like 4

I should be making the medicine ball today. I'll be glad to put up a tutorial if you are interested

That is awesome and very rangery!

Thanks for the tutorial!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

But I have to ask, between you and Wolfie's characterization of me, am I really such an asshole? [emoji14] haha

Nahhh, I just followed the lines drawn by Wolf, maybe with a little dash of the Rurik from "Beyond Human" ;)

• Like 4