Jericho's Pilgrimage - Assassins are Adventurers

Jericho

Jericho's Pilgrimage - Assassins are Adventurers

Ben_Nevis_Mountain_Path_-_geograph.org.u

Hello everyone and welcome to my challenge.

It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these but I feel more refreshed than I have in a long time and I feel really excited to dominate February.

First just a quick head’s up, I’m a bard (according to the occupations?) and by that I mean I’m a writer and that’s the form my challenge posts take. I tell a story that relates to my challenge and is hopefully fun to engage in as well. So if you’re into heavy role-playing like this by all means, read my story. If, however, you don’t really care for stories and the such then I will be writing my challenge information is straight-talk like this. So just to keep things straight, Blue text will be for my story, for the role playing. Red will be for the real world. Enjoy one or the other or both as you see fit.

So before jumping into it, I just wanted to give you a little bit of an overview of both the story and my challenge. The central idea is about trying to become a great assassin but by learning from all of the classes as well. This first challenge will be learning from the Adventurers since they didn’t exist last time I was on here and I feel they are my second class after Assassin.

Anyway the gist of the challenge:

Fitness Goals

1. On days (M,W,F): Rock climbing

2. Off days (T,R,Sa): Eat one fruit or vegetable

3. Improved hygiene (brushing hair, waking up earlier etc.)

Level Up Goal

Write for at least 15 minutes everyday

So anyway, that was the introduction to my challenge as well as the tl;dr to it. Now on to Jericho’s Pilgrimage, Chapter 1.Thank you for supporting me. Good luck with the challenge everyone. Ad victoriam.

• Like 1

(There is a backstory to this that you can find on my NF character page)

Sunday Afternoon

It’s been a week since I left the Capital in search of the Assassin ruins. I’m already starting to feel fatigue from this quest. I’m running low on food and energy. Most importantly, I’m running low on motivation and willpower. The countryside is so beautiful but I’ve never felt more alone than I do. Even when I spent all my time in the library, I was surrounded by other people who were doing their own research. Now I’m alone out here and I don’t even know where I’m going. I’m just chasing rumors. Keep walking Northwest.

crisis_2483042b.jpg

Sunday Night

I’ve found a village, along the side of the cliff face. It doesn’t seem that big but maybe I can find some shelter here. Maybe I can do some work to get some food for the rest of my journey. There’s an old destroyed house near the edge of the village that I’m going to try to sleep in. It’s not very closed but it’s better than the cold ground. Hopefully tomorrow I can talk to some of the villagers and they’ll help me out. I hope they’re nice people.

night-village-faq.jpg

Monday Morning

I opened my eyes to find a man standing over me.

“Good morning, friend.†The man said with a smile. My eyes grew wild and I nearly jumped a foot in the air. The man just laughed. “I did not mean startle you but I saw you sleeping in this old house and I became instantly curious. You see this is not a big village and we all know each other so I know you’re not from here. Come on, lad, walk with me to the cliff.â€

“The cliff?†I asked. I felt extremely confused. What time was it even? It looked like the sun had only just come up. The man didn’t answer me other than just a beckoning wave of his hand. Unsure of what else to do, I picked up my bag and followed him through the village. We walked past all of the building and eventually we passed the border fence that marked the end of the small settlement. It was then that I realized where we were going.

Up ahead where the cliffs that bordered one side of the village. The main road which I had been walking on the day before ran parallel to the cliffs as it slowly made it’s way up the small mountain that dominated this area. There was a group of people standing at the edge of the cliff, looking up at it. As we approached the group looked over at us, giving my guide a welcome look and me a confused.

“Oi Boulder, who’s that?†One of the other men asked. My guide chuckled and put a hand on my shoulder. The man had a strong grip and from the force I could tell he was quite strong.

“This lad? He’s a visitor that I found sleeping in the ruins of the old storehouse. He’s going to be climbing with us, today.†I took a step away from the man called Boulder and gave him a bewildered look.

“Excuse me, I’m going to do what?†I looked up the cliff face which rose quite far up, taller than any building I had ever seen. “Wait, you guys climb that? You’re insane. There’s no way in hell that I’m going to try climbing that thing.†The smile on Boulder’s face disappeared suddenly and he took on a serious look.

‘Look lad, you don’t have any food. You don’t have a place to stay. It doesn’t matter where you’re going, there’s nothing around here for miles and it would take you several days until you found another village or city. You need our help but you have to earn. If you want to stay here in the village for a little bit, we can give you a room to stay in, a job that will earn you some money and some food for your travels. But first you have to climb the cliff.†I looked around. Boulder was right about me being low on food. Indeed, if I did try to just leave now, I would surely die of starvation. I sighed. It looked like my only option was to try climbing.

“Okay.†I replied. “I’ll climb but can I have some rope or something in case I fall?†Boulder’s serious face faded and he began to chuckle.

“No lad, you can’t have any rope. If we tie you up then you’ll feel too secure and too safe. Without the fear of falling to your death, you’ll never make it to the top.â€

Cliff_face_west_of_Bran_Point_-_geograph

• Like 1

Thank you Waanie and good luck with yours as well!

My legs were shaking. My arms felt like they were on fire. My breathing was sporadic and incredibly short but I was at the top. I sat on the edge with my feet hanging off the side, trying desperately to make my body work again. Boulder came over with a hearty laugh.

"I see you you made it up, lad. I thought we were going to lose you." He helped me to my feet and began to walk away. "Come on, my friend, we are not done yet." Despite my legs struggling to hold me up, I followed the man to the best of my ability. We joined the rest of the group, none of whom looked tired in the least, and then we all began walking away from the cliff and into the woods.

This is a pretty short update because I am quite busy with school work, my job, my writing, and now my fitness. 

Anyway I went climbing on Monday and Today (my hands still hurt) and it feels great. I'm definitely improving in that area. I've also started to include more vegetables into my diet but I need to go to the grocery store and figure out how to start incorporating them that way. I've been able to keep up with taking care of myself maintenance wise for the most part with the exception of my sleep schedule but I'm working on that. Lastly, I've been trying to write often but with all of the other things I have to do, I find myself with less and less time.

In summary, I'm making progress and it feels good but I still to keep up the work.

• Like 1

Tinkerer, I'm going to college and there is a wall in the gym on campus that I use. I've done a little climbing beforehand but yeah it's fairly ambitious and so far it's going well. In fact, most of my challenge is going well as last week I was able to climb three times, making progress each time, and I ate fruits and vegetables more than 3x a week. Unfortunately, I have not yet fixed my sleep schedule but I'm still working on that. I am having trouble working on my life goal of writing often because of all the things I have going on including class, work, homework, and now going to the gym. I think that I should maybe change that goal to either writing less or something that require as much time such as saving money or something. Anyway, I plan for this week to kick ass and I hope every one else is doing well too! Ad Victoriam!

Bonus: I finished Steve's book last night and if you haven't read it, you totally should.

Bonus 2: Here's a picture of me climbing. (I'm on the left)

12669538_10205747818801358_1615672800678

• Like 1

As we continued to walk, I noticed several of the people branching off and walking away from the group. It was only when I saw them begin to leave that I noticed that almost everyone had something slung across their back. Some had bows, others had bags, one man had several bundles of rope tied around him. Even Boulder had some sort of woven basket on his back. I suddenly felt worse, I had barely made it up the cliff with just my body and all these people had climbed with extra weight and with little effort. It was at this time that Boulder stopped. It was so sudden that I nearly ran into him.

"You did good, lad." The large man's words addressed my thoughts as if I had said them aloud. "Many travelers come through here and request refuge from us. To them all we make the same offer, climb the cliff and you can stay for awhile. Upon hearing this offer, this ultimatum, most refuse and choose to continue on. There are occasionally a few that make an attempt but don't get very far before they give up and climb back down. You are one of only a few that not only attempted the climb but also made it to the top on your first try. That's no small feat, my friend."

I'll be honest, his words filled me with pride and I couldn't help but smile. As we stood there, more and more of the group separated until the woods became very quiet and we were alone. Everyone else had ventured off on their own to do who knows what. A small breeze blew through the woods and Boulder closed his eyes for a moment and looked like he was trying to listen to something.

"We are climbers, lad." He finally said at last. "Climbing these mountains is what we do. It's our lifestyle. But it's not just in fun, it is also how we keep a living. When we are up here, there is always plenty of game and so we hunt. In this area, fruit grows like nowhere else and so we gather. We have no farms and no factories like the capital. But we do have these mountains, and once you learn to navigate them, you will find yourself a prosperous man. We don't request a climb from our visitors for nothing. If you are to stay with us, you must work with us. It is up here that we do our work, and so if you work with us, you must climb. Come now, I want to show you something." 

I followed Boulder deeper into the woods. His words had seemed magical to listen to and for a short moment, I forgot that my body hurt all over.

Tinkerer, I'm going to college and there is a wall in the gym on campus that I use. I've done a little climbing beforehand but yeah it's fairly ambitious and so far it's going well. In fact, most of my challenge is going well as last week I was able to climb three times, making progress each time, and I ate fruits and vegetables more than 3x a week. Unfortunately, I have not yet fixed my sleep schedule but I'm still working on that. I am having trouble working on my life goal of writing often because of all the things I have going on including class, work, homework, and now going to the gym. I think that I should maybe change that goal to either writing less or something that require as much time such as saving money or something. Anyway, I plan for this week to kick ass and I hope every one else is doing well too! Ad Victoriam!

That sounds like a great setup! I now live 40 minutes from the only gym in the area. Sadly, when I did live on campus I really never used our (pretty nice) climbing gym. Have you been climbing for a while now?

Way to go on climbing for the first week! Do you have a set list of hygiene things that you check off every day or somehow know what your specific goals are? I find that if I have a list to work down (or a mental list) then things seem to get done more easily.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Sorry for not responding or posting in a while. I ran into a rough patch on the third week in which case I flat out didn't do any of my quest work. That's quite embarrassing but I've recovered now and have gone climbing three times this week as well. I am still proud of myself for how much I climbed this past month even with my falter and ate vegetables too but I completely bombed the other two goals.

So overall my grades are:

Climbing Goal: 3/4 - 75% C

Freggies Goal: 4/5 - 80% B
Hygiene Goal: Terribly tracked 1/4 - 25% F

Writing Goal: Sigh...1/5 - 20% F

I was originally planning to do rock climbing for just one month and then move onto another class but I haven't finished this part of my story so I think I'm going to stay with the climbers for another challenge. Look for the continuation of the story in my next challenge. Thank you all for the support and again sorry for disappearing halfway through.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you made it back! I think anyone who's done a few NF challenges has at some point had one that didn't go as planned. The nice thing is that there is always another challenge rolling around...

Realistically, you can consider yourself warmed up at this point for the next challenge. You've got some goals that you want to continue and you've established a good degree of regularity climbing (seriously, I can't make it climbing 9 times in a month!).

On your writing goal, is there a way to make it a easier to achieve as a starting point? For my fitness goals, I've had to pick some really basic (literally, a few minutes per day) goals in order to get good habits established. Maybe you could do something like that? Leave a notepad by your bed and commit to writing one interesting thought per night?

• Like 2

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1