Daryl of Barbaria - The Barbarian Seeks Enlightenment

...but still with plenty of badassery to go with it. We'll call it brutal enlightenment.

In past challenges, I have taken on rucking (metal!), skiing (metal!), sledgehammering (metal!), and most recently a little bit of slinging (metal!). All of it very metal. I've also taken on meditation. Yeah, not so metal, at least on the surface. But when one realizes the practice of mindfulness can instill razor sharp focus, or as I like to think of it, primal awareness, yes...it is very metal. In this challenge, I'm still doing all the metal stuff, but maybe with a little more focus on the softer side of badassery. How is this accomplished? By keeping the commitment to the meditation routine, and adding a little yoga to the mix. And then rucking and slinging like a mother-rucker. And slinger. Yeah.

Goal 1 - Brutal Mobility: Rucking returns yet again, in its most extreme form. Monday through Friday, early morning rucking, as I did in the last challenge starting at week 2. That's rucking 5x per week. In the early AM. Before I go to work. In the cold and dark. Brutal. +5 to Sta

Goal 2 - Primal Awareness: Daily meditation is back. I've now made this a morning routine. This is the first thing I do when I wake up, immediately after crawling out of bed and immediately before my morning ruck. Except on weekends (my only non-rucking days), where I am more lenient about when I do the meditation. Just so long as it gets done. 12 minutes of meditation, daily. +5 to Wis

Goal 3 - Art of the Sling: My latest interest, that most ancient of projectile weapons, capable of felling giants and mad Roman statesmen. My goal is to practice slinging at least 3x per week (should be easy enough, considering that I often bring the sling along on rucks). Also, I intend to craft at least one new sling during the course of this challenge. Even if I don't need one, I intend to make a sling anyway, if for no other reason than to continue to develop my sling crafting skills. I am very much enjoying the acquisition of proficiency with a weapon I craft with my own hands. +3 to Dex

Goal 4 - Predatory Suppleness: Taking a nod from some of nature's ultimate ambush predators, large cats, I aim to gain the flexibility and grace I once had when I was an avid practitioner of karate (without actually returning to karate). I will do this by completing a home yoga workout at least 2x per week. Quite simply, my body needs it. I ruck a lot, and I drive a desk for a day job (most of the time), and a need a little something to keep me limber. Yoga was something I once regularly did, but I have gotten out of the practice. Time to get back into it, one little bit at a time. My back will thank me for it. +2 to Dex

And there we have it, brutality and enlightenment, in one efficient package!

• Like 3

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I'll add a little life quest to the mix as well: simply to be more involved on the NF forum than I have in the past. I am generally quite minimalist in posting, even on a good day, but I think the last challenge definitely marks a low point in my participation in the community. This can be improved. It shall be improved.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

What's your Rucking weight?

I think it is a great skill as being able to move though the wilderness with a pack on your back might be rather useful in the zombie apocalypse. 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39
Current Challenge #40 Strickland5 themes on

Love it all!  We have a book on primitive skills and lately your challenges have had me looking at it.  Both my husband and myself want to take this bow course.  For a chunk of change you get the materials and instruction on making your own long bow.  You do all the work and they supply the equipment to do it.  Slings sound so fun and I bet my kiddo would like it.  She likes my sledgehammer so I wonder.....

I am looking forward to following your challenge!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

What's your Rucking weight?

I think it is a great skill as being able to move though the wilderness with a pack on your back might be rather useful in the zombie apocalypse. 

Rucking weight is at 30 lbs. I've been at that weight for a while, so an increase is probably due in the near future. I'm just not sure where I'm going to get the incremental weight at this point. Right now I just use two 15 lb octagon shaped dumbbells duct-taped together. Buying a purpose-built "designer" rucking plate goes against my money sense, so I will have to improvise. If I have to buy something, I'd like it to serve a dual purpose.

Love it all!  We have a book on primitive skills and lately your challenges have had me looking at it.  Both my husband and myself want to take this bow course.  For a chunk of change you get the materials and instruction on making your own long bow.  You do all the work and they supply the equipment to do it.  Slings sound so fun and I bet my kiddo would like it.  She likes my sledgehammer so I wonder.....

I am looking forward to following your challenge!

I'm very jealous of the bow-making. I think getting into something like that would make me forget all about slinging.  :playful:

• Like 2

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Rucking weight is at 30 lbs. I've been at that weight for a while, so an increase is probably due in the near future. I'm just not sure where I'm going to get the incremental weight at this point. Right now I just use two 15 lb octagon shaped dumbbells duct-taped together. Buying a purpose-built "designer" rucking plate goes against my money sense, so I will have to improvise. If I have to buy something, I'd like it to serve a dual purpose.

I bought some thick trash bags, duct tape, and some bags of play sand and made a few sand bag pills that you can fill to whatever weight you want to add weight.

• Like 2

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

I bought some thick trash bags, duct tape, and some bags of play sand and made a few sand bag pills that you can fill to whatever weight you want to add weight.

Brilliant idea! You just reminded me, I have some old ankle-weights lying around somewhere. They contain removable weights that are basically little bags of sand. I'm guessing I can add 5 - 10 lbs by throwing these weights in my rucksack.

• Like 4

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Oh that is such a great idea!  Affordable, practical, affordable, and easy!  I toss weights into a backpack and well they are not comfortable but they do the trick.  This is something I am going to do very very soon!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Oh that is such a great idea!  Affordable, practical, affordable, and easy!  I toss weights into a backpack and well they are not comfortable but they do the trick.  This is something I am going to do very very soon!

Maybe you could look at getting a piece of stiff foam or something and a piece of plywood or something then place them between your weights and the part of your pack that rests on your back if you have too much discomfort with the weights because of how they sit in your pack.

• Like 2

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

I've seen videos of bricks being bundled up and duct-taped together to make a rucksack-sized rucking weight. I would think anything with a relatively geometric shape could be secured in this way. I simply have the two dumbbells duct-taped one on top of the other, and then wrapped in a few layers of old towels, to lesson the wear on my back and my pack. The dumbbells lay horizontally, and do pretty good staying in position. Having a decent rucksack also helps. My last, very outdated backpack was not so good, and the corners of the dumbbells frequently cut into my back.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Quick summary: The start to this challenge has been 50/50. Yesterday went smoothly, but last night I was up quite late and as a result didn't get out of bed early enough to ruck this morning. I still got my meditation in, but now I'm down one ruck. I might try and get that in after work today.

Yet another lesson in why good sleep is important.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

So I woke up early, did my meditation, and then...I did not ruck. Yes, very anti-climatic.

But what I did do was a whole load of snow shoveling. I think that's just as good as a ruck. So not all is lost. And it needed doing anyway. I guess that is one supreme benefit to having an early morning exercise routine. If something needs doing in the morning, like shoveling, I'm already used to being awake and active early in the morning.

I managed to do some dedicated sling practice this evening. I worked more on accuracy and control than speed an power. However, towards the end of my practice I turned up the heat quite a bit and still maintained some pretty respectable precision. The skill is definitely coming along. Turning up the heat did, however, expose a slight flaw in my newest sling. I suppose it's a result of not being a very experienced crafter yet. The weaves in the sling pouch are probably not as tight as the ideally should be, therefore not everything fits together absolutely perfectly, leading the sling pouch to distort somewhat when I really whip it. It's something I am able to correct between throws, luckily. But it's something to keep in mind for the next sling. I might make a switch to crafting slings out of braided mason line in the near future.

Ok, better get to bed then. Tomorrow I'm rucking in the morning, as planned. For realz.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

This morning I managed my meditation and ruck as planned, along with a small amount of snow shoveling (and then it promptly snowed again, shortly after). I also managed a short yoga stretching routine before the ruck, which I think has done wonders for the slight back aches I get throughout a work day. Lastly, I brought my sling along to get some practice in during my ruck. I ended up losing one of the tennis balls due to the low light conditions, but I have plenty of others. I will consider them somewhat expendable.

I'm having a think about what to make my next sling out of. I was initially thinking of mason line (nylon or polyester), but I decided I think I want to try something more natural, like sisal twine. I should be able to make a pretty decent braided sisal sling following this tutorial

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I'm liking the barbarity of this challenge. Does sling practice work with a tennis ball? I guess I would have thought it would be too light - or maybe I mean rare - to get a good speed...? If you're out in the wilds of barbarian, would a stone be better? Also less expensive to replace on low light days.

Posting from a phone. If this doesn't make sense, blame Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

PS, I vote leather. For the crafting, I mean.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I'm liking the barbarity of this challenge. Does sling practice work with a tennis ball? I guess I would have thought it would be too light - or maybe I mean rare - to get a good speed...? If you're out in the wilds of barbarian, would a stone be better? Also less expensive to replace on low light days.

Stones are infinitely better as projectiles. However, tennis balls are infinitely safer for practice in a residential area. The speed at which they bleed of energy does make for a disappointing trajectory, but they do allow me to practice solid slinging technique in a rather confined area.

There will be plenty of time for throwing stones this summer, across the open waters of the Mississippi. Or if a zombie apocalypse happens, or other catastrophe where slinging must be done with bad intentions.

PS, I vote leather. For the crafting, I mean.

Leather is sometimes used for the pouch, but I haven't seen it used for the cords. For the really traditional slings, I've heard of using different kinds of natural fibers (such as sisal or jute), and even yak hair (traditional Tibetan slings), but never leather. I can only guess leather may have some quality that makes it unsuitable for the cords.

The sisal twine was quite cheap (less than $3.00 for 300 ft/91 m). I'm going to stick with that and paracord for now.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Good to know. I'm a little ways out from there (in the "Granite City") but I can generally get into the Mpls area within an hour.

Last night I accomplished one of my goals of crafting a new sling...this one made of sisal. It's a bit, well, rough, and I haven't had the opportunity to test it much. I'll upload some photos in the near future. It does look more like the genuine article that ancient Balearic slingers would have used.

Meditation, a little yoga, and rucking went off without a hitch this morning. I'm thinking the very brief yoga routine between meditation and rucking my be a new thing. So rather than 2x per week, as was my original plan, it might just because a regular part of the Monday through Friday routine.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Great challenge and progress so far!

I'm thinking the very brief yoga routine between meditation and rucking my be a new thing. So rather than 2x per week, as was my original plan, it might just because a regular part of the Monday through Friday routine.

That is some badass morning routine!, I thought cooking breakfast for the little monkeys and swimming was a lot!

• Like 1

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Looks like you are off to a good start here! I'll toss my idea into the rucking weight topic: water. I have some gallon water jugs that I use for camping and they fit into my pack fairly well. They have the benefit of allowing you to dump them out if you need to reduce weight for some reason mid-hike.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Great challenge and progress so far!

That is some badass morning routine!, I thought cooking breakfast for the little monkeys and swimming was a lot!

Actually, that sounds like way more work, especially if you have more than one little one.

Looks like you are off to a good start here! I'll toss my idea into the rucking weight topic: water. I have some gallon water jugs that I use for camping and they fit into my pack fairly well. They have the benefit of allowing you to dump them out if you need to reduce weight for some reason mid-hike.

Great advice, thanks!

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I'm always looking on NF for unique sports and activities and stumbled across yours.  Although I made and played with a sling when I was very young, I never knew people were actually into this.  As with all things, there is even a website I found on it.

http://slinging.org/

Also made and played with a bola which was kind of neat.  For a while, every kid in my neighborhood was into making weapons.  We all thought we were a bunch of ninjas running around.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I'm always looking on NF for unique sports and activities and stumbled across yours.  Although I made and played with a sling when I was very young, I never knew people were actually into this.  As with all things, there is even a website I found on it.

http://slinging.org/

Also made and played with a bola which was kind of neat.  For a while, every kid in my neighborhood was into making weapons.  We all thought we were a bunch of ninjas running around.

I think I am very much rekindling that childhood ninja phase. A few months ago on NF I was dabbling in parkour, and nunchaku. I suppose this is the next step.

Slinging.org has been a great resource thus far. I'm amazed at the level of commitment the folks there put into it.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"