Kishi Earns His Keep By Aiming Low

Kishi

*pokes Kishi*

I'm just lurking around this challenge and finally stumbled on your thread. Dude, I feel your pain soooo much on the parents thing. So much.

They're our parents and they love us...but that doesn't mean they get to walk all over us. I've had to set pretty firm boundaries with mine, including walking out of a room (after warning them I would) when they would not drop a subject. It's shitty feeling, but worth it. You get a bit of adult-level respect out of it.

Mine moved almost 1000 miles away, yet my mom manages to nag me over the phone. I handle it through snark, which doesn't sound like an option for you, unfortunately. Outside of the snark, I've found that starting things with "I appreciate that you thought of me, but..." or "I love you and appreciate that you care so much, however..." help a lot. Or the good ol' "I feel ____ when you _____".

And on that note, look whose flight just landed! (I managed to keep her to only one night of staying in my 1 bedroom apartment with me, at least)
  • Like 1

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Good for you having a great time with your friends and good training the next day.

I hope your car issues work out well. I looked through my car records and found that it was only 13 months ago that the shop did a full brake job on my car. Replacing calipers and rotors is NOT annual maintenance. I am going to have a conversation with the shop manager.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Good luck with the car! Glad to hear you were able to get out and enjoy some good weather. :)

It was great! And the weather took another fantastic turn today... but I had to spend today inside working on stuff.

*pokes Kishi*

I'm just lurking around this challenge and finally stumbled on your thread. Dude, I feel your pain soooo much on the parents thing. So much.

They're our parents and they love us...but that doesn't mean they get to walk all over us. I've had to set pretty firm boundaries with mine, including walking out of a room (after warning them I would) when they would not drop a subject. It's shitty feeling, but worth it. You get a bit of adult-level respect out of it.

Mine moved almost 1000 miles away, yet my mom manages to nag me over the phone. I handle it through snark, which doesn't sound like an option for you, unfortunately. Outside of the snark, I've found that starting things with "I appreciate that you thought of me, but..." or "I love you and appreciate that you care so much, however..." help a lot. Or the good ol' "I feel ____ when you _____".

And on that note, look whose flight just landed! (I managed to keep her to only one night of staying in my 1 bedroom apartment with me, at least)

GAH! A Quothy!

Gosh, I'm totally unprepared for this...

Yeah, that's right, you've dealt with some parental issues. Maybe I should have come to you for advice. Though you're right, it is trickier when you're living with them or they with you. I think I managed to solve it in the best possible way, though. Mom's keeping her peace now and that's all I really want.

Definitely good luck!  It's really nice that you got to spend that time with your friends and reconnect :-)

Congrats on the C&P milestone.  You must be feeling good about that.  Good day of training overall.

Yeah, it was really great. I missed them more than I realized.

Yeah, it feels pretty great. :)

Good for you having a great time with your friends and good training the next day.

I hope your car issues work out well. I looked through my car records and found that it was only 13 months ago that the shop did a full brake job on my car. Replacing calipers and rotors is NOT annual maintenance. I am going to have a conversation with the shop manager.

Indeed, indeed.

Ooh, that does not sound good as regards your car. Good luck with that. Is it a local guy or is it a chain?

H2O: 2/3

Morning Walk: 56/120

Code Academy: 0/1

UBER: 2.75/22

GPP

RoP: 2/2

S&S: 1/1

Pull Up Practice: 1

Handstand/Cartwheel Practice: 0

Pistol Practice: 1

Welp, up at 8 to get the car checked out. Bad news is, the first guy was right - a lot of it needs to be fixed. Good news is, the second guy wants to do it for 2/3 of the price that the first guy wanted to do them for. Score.

But doing so meant getting up early on a night that I stayed up late. Never a good combination. I spent my morning futzing about taking care of this chore and that, wrote some, and trained. It was a beautiful day, but I never really got up to enjoy it. Dang. But hey, that's what early mornings (eventually) are all about.

Did my Simple and Sinister. Decided to play with going for doubles on the TGUs, so instead of five singles, it was a double and three singles. Boy howdy, you wanna tire out, you do it that way. It was no joke. Doable, but no joke.

Ate some food, then decided to play with Al's program for raising your pull up numbers. For me, that meant 50 in a workout. So I decided to do two every minute. Why two? Because when I last tried to do 50 pull ups, my body broke down to 2 reps. So, I know that I have that much in me no matter what. And anyway, I'm not in any kind of a hurry. Did them in about 25 minutes. Worked on grip and finger strength afterward.

And that was it for training today. Wanted to do some handstand work, but ended up working late and getting back at a bad hour for that kind of thing.

• Like 1

YAY DISCOUNT. Hope it didn't take to big a bite out of you to get the car fixed, but good on you for manning up and getting it done. It saved you a lot more discomfort later, for sure.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

YAY DISCOUNT. Hope it didn't take to big a bite out of you to get the car fixed, but good on you for manning up and getting it done. It saved you a lot more discomfort later, for sure.

Oh, it would have taken too much. Couldn't afford to fix the brakes yet. But, was able to get the alignment done, so at least the tires aren't falling apart any faster than they were. So, that's good.

H2O: 3/4

Morning Walk: 56/120

Code Academy: 0/1

UBER: 8.25/22

GPP

RoP: 3/3

S&S: 1/1

Pull Up Practice: 1

Handstand/Cartwheel Practice: 1

Pistol Practice: 1

And that was the day. Not very much to report at all. Lifted things, skipped rope, shadowboxed. Went out and worked tonight as well. Definitely could have stood to get up and out earlier, but I'll take it.

I'll be going off to meet with a friend tomorrow, and I got talked into matinee'ing Deadpool, which I'm pretty excited about. I wonder if we'll see any parents dragging their kids out.

• Like 2

I'll be going off to meet with a friend tomorrow, and I got talked into matinee'ing Deadpool, which I'm pretty excited about. I wonder if we'll see any parents dragging their kids out.

Why are you questioning the stupidity of humanity?  Why tempt fate?

Oh.  Right.  Because you're the hopeful one here.  I'm the cynical bastard.

:P

Hope you enjoyed the movie! (I'm still waiting to get time to go see it.  Hoping for next weekend.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Why are you questioning the stupidity of humanity?  Why tempt fate?

Oh.  Right.  Because you're the hopeful one here.  I'm the cynical bastard.

:tongue:

Hope you enjoyed the movie! (I'm still waiting to get time to go see it.  Hoping for next weekend.)

I did! The article about it was good too! And, nobody was a dumbass! Which I thought was awesome.

Hey y'all. I'm still here. Things have gone a bit off the rails, in a rare turn of events. I'll catch everyone up just as soon as I can, but I am alive.

Sorry I haven't been too active on your thread! I'm glad you're alive and also I hope everything is all right on your end.

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

I hope everything works out okay for you. We'll be here to support you when you get back.

Thanks! I'm working on it!

Just sneaking aroud.  ;)

DGrSV9h.gif

How is your writing doing ? 

1zvbx9s.gif

The writing's... coming along. I've been doing the bare minimum on it for a while now.

Sorry I haven't been too active on your thread! I'm glad you're alive and also I hope everything is all right on your end.

Everything's okay! I'll explain...

Wow. It's been a week since I've been here. Sorry about that everyone. Things got busy and stuff happened.

I went and saw Deadpool with a friend of mine and it was great. He and I disagreed over whether it was better than Antman or not, with me coming down for DP and he coming down for AM. I like and respect my friend. That does not mean he is right.

Anyway, went to work that afternoon and did pretty good, but had a bad night after. Got to dojo a half hour late without knowing that I was a half hour late, and we basically spent the night doing judo. Sensei had me up to randori for all four rounds that we went, which was okay but I got stiff-armed a lot and I didn't throw very much. I got a lot of counters, but he wasn't impressed; he said it was too easy and that I was going to make everyone gun-shy if I kept that up. Which would suck. That was how I came up in grappling, and I'd hate to put anyone else through that.

So, that sucked. The night's work was super-slow as well; Raleigh was pretty dead for a Friday night. I ended up calling it early and didn't even go out again on Saturday because I was just burnt out for the evening.

Monday I went out to game only to find that with one of our players gone the group had shifted its night, and I was there when the decision was made but I'd forgot. And I got another email from my Mom, after having said that she was going to drop the subject, saying that I needed to get a job again.

And as much as I want to rail at her about how I feel it's her fault and how if she would just get out of my way and let me do the thing and that I can't do the job the way it needs to be done and her be happy about it... she's right. Uber is not the opportunity I thought it was. Everyone I've ever talked to does some kind of thing on the side along with the Uber to make their livings work. Every single one.

And I've found found myself for the past few days caught between my emotional side which is angry and bitter and yelling about how I'm a failure and how I'm never going to amount to anything and the rational side which is telling me that this is a smart, practical move that I need to make for myself to be the person I need to be. I get this terrible feeling that I'm going to go into work somewhere and get caught up in all that bullshit where I'm expected to buy into a vision and bleed myself dry, never seeing my friends and fighting for a table-scrap income as I march into my 30s still caught in essentially a hand to mouth existence where I can't take care of myself, can't date, can't save, can't, can't, can't.

It's not real, of course. Uber's true value and function, for me, is to provide leverage in negotiating with these other jobs. If they want to try to push me for working more hours, I'll have the ability to push back, which is a legitimate game changer as far as all that goes. Additionally, I'm wiser now. I know now that everyone trying to push the vision of someone working their way from the ground up is basically lying, and that as far as they're concerned I'm expendable. I don't have to care about the job. I just have to do it.

Feelings aren't facts, just a fact that tries to color the others. I don't have time or room to care about them. I have work to do.

Anyway.

Training's kept up. Diet's gone off the rails pretty bad - did Reuben Pizza for a couple of days and then it was my Dad's birthday on Tuesday so we went to the best damned Italian place I've seen in NC so far. I got back on the horse yesterday, but we're celebrating my birthday on Saturday. Car payment's coming up, and I'm $10 bucks short, but it will be more than that when I have to go to pay for gas. I'll probably have to ask for Dad's help on the car again, which bites, but that's just pride talking, and if he can help then all the better. Hell, his name's on the title.

Really, everything's just kind of fallen apart. Writing's going at a snail's pace, haven't touched Codecademy, I'm not drinking except when I'm thirsty, and I'm not walking at all. I've blocked off my time, and that's proceeded to be absolutely useless in terms of dictating to me what I do, and my bedtime's fucked up again.

Hooooookay.

Reset.

nintendoreset.jpg

Weeks like that happen.  Not fun.  Best thing to do about them is reset, so you're on it.  Don't even feel bad, a week off is sometimes necessary.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Weeks like that happen.  Not fun.  Best thing to do about them is reset, so you're on it.  Don't even feel bad, a week off is sometimes necessary.

^This

Sucks, is hard, and annoying as hell.  But they happen.  Just gotta do what you're doing: figure out what works, what doesn't, and move on from there.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yeah, you had a bad week. Hugs! ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

When your training program stops working you analyze it and look at alternatives. You express some frustration, but not a lot. You enjoy investigating new exercise programs and trying them out. Do you think you could transfer this attitude to your work situation?

I get it that work is a lot scarier than training. You can skip a day of your program and not worry about missing meals. Clearly you have had bad experiences with jobs that left emotional scars. You know how to come back from injury when exercising. You can do the same thing with work.

Let go of the frustration of not being where you hoped to be by 30. I felt the same thing when I was not done with grad school when I turned 40. I barely celebrated my birthday that year. In the cosmic scheme of things it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to your destination. What matters is that you figure out what kind of life you want to have. Then you can take steps to make that happen.

You are in a good place compared to lots of other people. You are strong and healthy. You are not tied down to supporting dependents. You don't have a lot of debt. You don't own a lot of stuff. You could sell your car, sell your stuff and live out of a backpack if you wanted to. Travel around the world teaching English and writing stories. Steve could give you tips. ;)

Give yourself a few days off to get away from everyone and think about what you really want. Away from your parents and friends who all have their ideas of what is best for you. Go hiking and get away from people.

You ran the Spartan barefoot. You have the determination to do difficult things. You've got this.

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

tumblr_morrjvHE0y1rj32cro1_400.gif

^This

Sucks, is hard, and annoying as hell.  But they happen.  Just gotta do what you're doing: figure out what works, what doesn't, and move on from there.

Yup. Pretty much. I've actually been analyzing while the past week's played out, and I figured out what I want to do for my next challenge, which is pretty cool.

That sounds like a rough week. You'll pull it back together though, one thing at a time. And if you need to complain while you do it, that's part of what this board is here for. :)

It really wasn't the rough week it could have been. Harder on my pride than anything else, something which always surprises me whenever I'm reminded of it.

Yeah, you had a bad week. Hugs! ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

When your training program stops working you analyze it and look at alternatives. You express some frustration, but not a lot. You enjoy investigating new exercise programs and trying them out. Do you think you could transfer this attitude to your work situation?

I get it that work is a lot scarier than training. You can skip a day of your program and not worry about missing meals. Clearly you have had bad experiences with jobs that left emotional scars. You know how to come back from injury when exercising. You can do the same thing with work.

Let go of the frustration of not being where you hoped to be by 30. I felt the same thing when I was not done with grad school when I turned 40. I barely celebrated my birthday that year. In the cosmic scheme of things it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to your destination. What matters is that you figure out what kind of life you want to have. Then you can take steps to make that happen.

You are in a good place compared to lots of other people. You are strong and healthy. You are not tied down to supporting dependents. You don't have a lot of debt. You don't own a lot of stuff. You could sell your car, sell your stuff and live out of a backpack if you wanted to. Travel around the world teaching English and writing stories. Steve could give you tips. ;)

Give yourself a few days off to get away from everyone and think about what you really want. Away from your parents and friends who all have their ideas of what is best for you. Go hiking and get away from people.

You ran the Spartan barefoot. You have the determination to do difficult things. You've got this.

Thanks, mistr. ()()()()()()()()()()()()

I can approach it in that way, and as the days have gone by I've come to embrace this mindset. It's like I said earlier - I'm a really proud man, and I thought that, finally, after years and years of struggle, I'd found an answer to the problem of finding work that I enjoyed that allowed me to take care of myself and the people I cared about. I think I kind of knew that this wasn't it - otherwise, I wouldn't have made a goal of picking up coding - but like you say. I have some emotional scars about the kind of work I'm going to end up doing. I'm basically afraid that if I go off to do one of those jobs again that they're going to do their damnedest to use me up without ever letting me reap the full benefit of being used. Like always working hours, but never overtime, making enough to subsist but never getting ahead, you know?

But that's basically what I'm doing now. The only difference is, I'm enjoying it here... but that's not better. I need more than this.

And like I said. I know now that any stories they tell about promoting from within and that are basically just part of a pitch that they have to say. There's nowhere to go in these companies. That's always been true; the difference now is that I know it.

I know the kind of life I want. I want to write, and I want to travel. I want to absolve my debts and to give back to my family. And I want to look great naked whilst also being able to go off at a moment's notice to have whatever adventure I need to have, whether that's helping someone move or running a race. If I'm honest about it, I've figured most of them out in bits and pieces, but I haven't really put it all together yet. I think that's the thing I'm trying to do, and I simply haven't figured it out yet.

Huh. I guess it's a case of thinking the grass is greener... but you're right. Those are things I take for granted. And if I wanted to really do that and make it work, I'd have to get a credit score good enough to get a card that earned me miles so I could travel. Which means I need a job to pay down the credit debt that I have. And build up savings and such. Hmm.

You are right, as usual. The hard thing, then, is to be humble. But that's what's ultimately necessary, this time.

Geez, and here I thought I was going to have a hard time coming up with a challenge for next time. Hah.

• Like 4