charlomechfry gets motivated!

charlomechfry

My Mission is to be Happy by sustaining my Integrity, strengthening my Health, seeking Wisdom, embracing Love, and living Simply, Fully and Positively. My Inspiration is derived from the hope of being the best possible me for my Daughter, Wife, Family, Friends, and all of Nature.

My motivation starts with that mission and inspiration. That is what I strive for.

This mission statement will follow me challenge to challenge and will evolve as I do.

Motivation is a huge mental game, and it is a mental game that I regularly lose. I intend on winning that mental game much more often.

Motivation comes and goes, but my mission and inspiration will remain.

When my motivation wanes, my mission and inspiration will lift me up again.

failure.png

I am scaling back my goals for this challenge after failing pretty epically in the last.

In the process of completing the following goals, I will also be finding ways to disrupt my bad habits and build the good ones.

Nutrition Master

Current Habit:

6 days per week: I will continue to eat strictly real food. No processed, refined, or preserved foods

1 day per week: Cheat! Nothing too crazy tho

Focus:

Maintain

Fitness Beast

Current Habit:

3 days per week: Bike to work (14 miles round trip each day)

Focus:

3 days per week: Strength train

Water God

Current Habit:

Carry a 24 oz. water bottle at all times

Focus:

7 days per week: Drink 3 bottles per day

Sleeping Beauty

Current Habit:

Sleep?

Focus:

7 days per week: No screens after 7:30 p.m. and get to bed by 8:15 p.m.; late weekend night allowed for a get-together

Scoring

I will be competing in the MAX Health Challenge PVP to earn points and will track them in THIS spreadsheet

53c5d1926c4292da26f8909b839097a9.jpg

• Like 3

Nice!

Good luck CM! You've got this! :)

Woo Hoo!! 

I just mentioned this in the MAX Health Challenge PVP and wanted to share it here. I will be taking a page out of awesomesue's book. If I fail at my fitness goal, I will post a video of myself doing something embarrassing. Ideas?? Whatever it is, I will be embarrassed. This will almost guarantee I complete my fitness goal. Giving it a number, I will need to complete 11 days of strength training this challenge. Nice and easy start on my way back up to beast mode.

• Like 1

Woo Hoo!!

I just mentioned this in the MAX Health Challenge PVP and wanted to share it here. I will be taking a page out of awesomesue's book. If I fail at my fitness goal, I will post a video of myself doing something embarrassing. Ideas?? Whatever it is, I will be embarrassed. This will almost guarantee I complete my fitness goal. Giving it a number, I will need to complete 11 days of strength training this challenge. Nice and easy start on my way back up to beast mode.

Umm...

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Woo Hoo!! 

=) you have a daughter, so my idea would be you to do a lip sync rendition of Frozen's Let it Go!  Channing Tatum just did one on lip sync battle, freaking hilarious!

• Like 3

=) you have a daughter, so my idea would be you to do a lip sync rendition of Frozen's Let it Go!  Channing Tatum just did one on lip sync battle, freaking hilarious!

Ha, that was hilarious! K, I will do a lip sync, except I will do 'I see the light' from Tangled. I am trying to get the baby girl to sleep right now and that song came on as an instrumental. She stopped her fussing and was staring at me smiling through most of the song. Heart = Melted. I just listened to the words... I am going to have to be looking at the lyrics while I do that. I can't memorize all that! Except I don't have to worry about that because I am going to achieve (and surpass) my goal anyway!!

Challenge Summary:

Starting out pretty good. I am still reeling from the past week of being sick, but I am determined more than ever to get back in the groove of things. It is gonna happen!

Nutrition: Nothing 'off limits' yet

Fitness: Yesterday had nothing planned and was still feeling like poo anyway. Today got some strength stuff in. No biking this week as I am out of work for the week to stay home with the baby girl. Momma is in Orlando until late Saturday for work. First go at doing it on my own.

Pullups - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

Pushups - 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24

Focused on good form for both. Intensity was very low.

Video Embarrassment - 1 of 11 strength workouts done

Water: Perfect both days

Sleep: Only thing keeping me from perfection this challenge so far. Bedtime eclipsed both days. Yesterday I couldn't go to bed because of the Iowa Caucuses, tonight the baby is being extremely stubborn.

• Like 1

Finally made it here!  Love it and love the punishment!  I failed to add one to my challenge.  Now I have to think on it.

Okay you can not control a stubborn baby so maybe those nights you should give yourself a pass on those nights as long as you get the best sleep you are able such as not falling asleep with the tv on or allowing yourself to be distracted after the baby falls asleep.  Again it is not reasonable to counting it against your goals.  Or for every night the babe is not cooperating (LOL) then on nights she does you count it as double.  Basically make those good sleep night opportunities even more important.  Just a thought otherwise you could be setting yourself up to fail based on things beyond your control.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Finally made it here!  Love it and love the punishment!  I failed to add one to my challenge.  Now I have to think on it.

Okay you can not control a stubborn baby so maybe those nights you should give yourself a pass on those nights as long as you get the best sleep you are able such as not falling asleep with the tv on or allowing yourself to be distracted after the baby falls asleep.  Again it is not reasonable to counting it against your goals.  Or for every night the babe is not cooperating (LOL) then on nights she does you count it as double.  Basically make those good sleep night opportunities even more important.  Just a thought otherwise you could be setting yourself up to fail based on things beyond your control.

I agree.  I learned to sleep sitting in a rocking chair since my daughter was (and is) an insomniac.  Kids are always an opportunity to be creative in attaining your goals.

The only punishment I can think of has been mentioned ... singing.  But telling a joke on camera would be a close second. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Good start CM! Keep it up my man! You have got this :).

Took some inspiration from you yesterday. Focused on doing the perfect pullup like in the video you posted and just kept my workout simple and fun. I figure I need to focus on the fun more than anything else right now to get me started back up into a routine before ratcheting it up. Quite honestly, it has always been the fun stuff where I have made my biggest gains in the past. 

Gotta tell you, the idea of posting a video really has a positive effect on my motivation to get them 11 workouts in. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I agree that you should not count the baby stuff against you. That is totally beyond your control. 

Awesome job on the other goals!

You and awesomesue are right, I will certainly rethink the baby sleep nights. Giving myself that leniency will help me to focus on getting to sleep as soon as the chance arises and avoid the distractions (computer) that will keep me up longer. Last night was a perfect example of failing because of a lack of leniency. Thanks for the words of caution!

And now to get motivated to get a small workout in despite every part of me moaning and groaning all the excuses in the world. Bwahaha!!!

• Like 3

Just added the video to my playlist. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

My pleasure!

WOOT WOOT!! I am on a runaway motivation train right now!

My Mother-in-law came over for a couple of hours, so I went for a run. Just for fun! I don't do that. Getting out of the house for the first time in nearly a week will do that to a person I guess haha. Now to take Rowyn by my work so some of my co-workers can get their baby fix in.

Also, completed all goals yesterday!

Newsworthy

Fitness:

2 sets, 15 reps each of V-ups, roll crunch (each side), static alternating toe touch (each side), and plank (30 secs.)

Quick and easy; extremely tired and still fighting off the last bits of sick (2/11 completed)

Sleep:

Got everything done and got myself and Rowyn to bed on time. Woke up for milk time at about midnight and took me about 3 hours to get back to sleep. Got on the computer, which I should not do, but didn't over do it. I will get some books or something next to the bed for sleepless moments.

motivational-fitness-quotes-if-you-are-t

• Like 3

Or, get some coloring books to help you relax instead of becoming engrossed in a book .... or surfing the web.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Or, get some coloring books to help you relax instead of becoming engrossed in a book .... or surfing the web.  

Good point. I can't remember the last time I colored. I will give it a go. Something simple, relaxing, and not too addicting or stimulating. If there are any other suggestions, please throw them my way. 

Yesterday was a success, though I messed up on sleep again. Got to bed on time and everything, but got back up to watch the debate.

I took the baby and dogs on a walk, which was really nice. I am going to try to make a habit out of it or will try to make it a goal in the future.

Today I am feeling mighty groggy. A motivation video is in store!

Fitness:

Ran 4.8 miles

Walked 1.5 miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xLYt265ZM

• Like 1

Keep those videos coming - they really help the rest of us too!

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Hi hi hi! Found your thread! Looks like you're doing great so far :)

SWEEEET!! Glad to have you here! I found you too!!  :playful:

you could take up knitting ;)  LOL Have you tried any kind of meditations?

knitting... actually, I did something of the sort when I was a kid. Can't remember what exactly it was. I think I did the one that uses that plastic matrix thing. It was quite fun though! Meditation sounds like an amazing idea though! I am going to try that. Thank you!

Keep those videos coming - they really help the rest of us too!

Awesome! Will do!! I can't get enough of them right now. And they are just the spark. The fuel is just getting heated up! There is no putting this fire out!! WOOOO!!!

Haha! Got a little excited there. I certainly hope this is contagious though, because it feels good and I am going to share it with EVERYONE!

Quick update:

Great day! Wife just got home  :rapture: and I am getting things done.

Fitness:

50 pull-ups and 100 push-ups in 9'17"

This is part of a new challenge that Yuen, Br0din, and myself started, Bodyweight WOW!

Just another tactic to keep myself motivated!!

Sleep:

I will get there  :moon:

Nutrition and Water:

Happenin!

clarity-is-power-author-unknown.jpg

• Like 4

I am going to post my Mini Challenge goals here so I can better keep track of them.

Ranger Mini Challenge

I'm all aboard the Hogwarts Express!!

Character Name: charlomechfry

Hogwarts House: Gryffindor

Wand description: Phoenix feather core with a dash of Pixie poop

Patronus: Peregrine Falcon

1. Charms: Complete daily tasks each day this week

• Complete. Didn't exactly do the daily tasks I had in mind, but I did a lot more than I expected. This was the week I was home alone with the baby. I made it! I will slowly work on getting in the habit of completely these daily tasks. Probably a future goal again.

2. Potions:  Make a Smoothie each day this week

3. Transfiguration:  Jump Rope 5 minutes each day this week

• Starts tomorrow (Monday)

4. Defense Against The Dark Arts:  Take the family out for a hike this week

• Like 2

So much motivation in this thread =)  Keep up the good work.  Are you often on baby duty?

Thanks!

It is about 50/50 time wise. Responsibility wise, she probably takes it at least 60/40. Last week was the first time that mom was away over night (5 nights), so that was quite the experience. Love being a daddy (tho wanted to avoid it up until conception basically haha), but it certainly flips the world upside down in the most amazing way.

Updates

Nutrition:

Yesterday was my cheat day, and boy did I cheat! Just loads of junk and made me feel like poo. I feel I am getting very close to avoiding large cheat days like that all together. Pizza and pastas have already been nixed from any cheat days, as they are the worst in the way they make me feel. Soon it will likely be limited to a few lighter sweets like ice cream, fruit pie, candies, and the like. And small amount of potato chips :)

Today, back to the norm.

Fitness:

Finally started my actual strength routine. Still have a few more weeks before I get to the full amount of work I desire and I still need to start incorporating my warming up and stretching.

Here is my planned strength routine:

• Start out with a warm-up - preferably some dynamic exercises/stretches and a couple minutes cardio (ex. jump rope)
  • End with a stretching routine
  • Complete 3 days per week - 1 day of a Full Body Circuit, 1 day Upper Body Progressions, 1 day Lower Body Progressions
  • Full Body Circuit - max reps will be determined, followed by 10 weeks of circuit work at a percentage of those max reps (maybe less between maxes, depending on my progress)
  • Progressions - as soon as 8-10 reps can be maintained in an exercise, I will progress to the next level of the exercise, as long as at least 4 reps can be completed each set

2/7/16 - Full Body Circuit

Warmed up with 5 minutes of Jump Rope (started mini early)

Maxes (1 minute time limit):

• Push-up - 55 (2-3 weeks ago)
  • Lever Row - 8 (2-3 weeks ago)
  • Straight Bar Dip - 6 (2-3 weeks ago)
  • Pull-up - 22 (2-3 weeks ago)
  • Bodyweight Squat - 50
  • Sit-up - 46
  • Dumbbell Swings - 38 @ 30#

Circuit - 1 round - 6'17"

• Push-up - 39
  • Lever Row - 6
  • Straight Bar Dip - 4
  • Pull-up - 15
  • BW Squat - 35
  • Sit-up - 32
  • DB Swings - 27 @ 30#

Water:

Killing it with my hydration. I put 4 rubber bands on my water bottle. A red one to act as a line, and 3 tan ones to act as each 24 oz. I drink. When I finish off the bottle, I move a band above the red line. Keeps me much more aware of how much I am drinking.

Sleep:

I plan on really focusing on my sleep this week and get it all dialed in. I know what I need to do, just a matter of doing it.

• Like 2