ShadowLion

Shadow Lion Shuffles the Cards...

gallery_17054_2152_6814.jpg

and Decides to Stack the Deck

(for success)

I have been on a strange and unexpected journey this past weekend as I pondered what to do for my challenge. I found myself wandering down paths I have not traveled in some time, and I realized that my life feels wildly out of balance. I am in need of the Queen of Swords decisiveness and discipline, while also bringing my inner and outer worlds into better alignment through intuition and quiet contemplation. 

med_gallery_17054_2152_1435.jpg

This challenge is a continuation of the last one in many ways - of my year theme of planting my stake in the ground - but it also promises to add some new twists to that. I feel that in many ways I have come full circle (or perhaps it is a spiral?), back to face the very things that once led me away from software development. Now, however, I have the opportunity to deal with those in a different, healthier way, and I can enlist a wealth of life experience from the intervening years to become the ruler of my own well-being.

med_gallery_17054_2152_237250.jpg

In keeping with the lessons of challenges past - surprise, surprise - I need to further simplify and focus. My year theme of planting my stake in the ground continues. Commitment, discipline, perseverance. 

This past weekend I took stock of where I was and it wasn't pretty. Depression was creeping in around the edges; I felt exhausted physically, mentally, spiritually. I just wanted to sit down and cry. I'd been working so hard and such long hours that I was totally drained, battling a cold, and wondering how I was going to dredge up the energy to put a challenge together - something that I normally find very enjoyable. 

gallery_17054_2152_38631.jpg

I tried to think up some grand idea (always a good plan, right?) and came up with nothing. Then I remembered the conversation on last challenge's thread with Xena about tarot cards. I had planned to save that for later in the year, but I needed an idea... Hmmm. Maybe the answers to my other dilemmas were similarly staring me in the face?

It has been many years since I really surveyed what was out there in terms of decks. Between Google, Pinterest, and other sites, I was amazed at all the new decks there are. Traditional tarot, non-tarot "oracle" decks ranging from fairies to vikings to manga to angels, pop culture influenced decks...you name it. I spent several hours marveling at the artwork and imagination behind it all and getting inspired to do a very unusual challenge. 

Harry Potter...

med_gallery_17054_2152_97431.jpg

LOTR...

med_gallery_17054_2152_76708.jpg

(LOL! It's Rurik Harrgarth!)

So, I decided to take the hint from the Universe

and draw a card using the cosmic code

of random electrons and got...

med_gallery_17054_2152_131756.jpg

And laughed. 

The lady and the lion, 8, and a sideways 8 - infinity...

That is my card. Has been for years. My totem, my number. 

I drew several more cards, too, which will be revealed over the course of this challenge. Suffice to say, they painted a very interesting picture of what I need to do to resolve my dilemmas and reach my goals. They may look similar on the surface, but make no mistake, things are very, very different now.

1. Move Forward
Increase my total walking distance by 3 to 5 % each week over the course of the challenge.
Starting distance is 12.35 miles per week.

2. Find Equilibrium
Squat for of 5 mins per day, every day of the challenge.
Stand for a minimum 10 minutes of every hour I work at GP.

3. Rebuild My Strength
There are many types of strength I could choose to work on - physical, mental, emotional, social, soul (intuition, imagination), and spiritual. I am choosing soul and spirit as being the most in need of restoration I will take a minimum of 30 minutes every single day of the challenge to tend to my spiritual and soul needs through meditation, relaxation, play, creativity and/or spending time out-of-doors. 

4. CodeWarrior
Learn - Complete the Git and DevOps courses I am taking.
Practice - Participate in at least one exercise through the AZCWR (Arizona Cyber Warfare Range).
Learn, Practice, Share - Participate in a "Mob Programming" workshop

Let the intuition (and the cats!) begin...

gallery_17054_2152_23834.png

• Like 12

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Cards/Readings/Meditations

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Year Theme

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Progress Reports

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Can't wait to hear about your full circle journey, including what led you away from software and what is keeping you in it this time around.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Here for the awesome.

:tiger:

Can't wait to hear about your full circle journey, including what led you away from software and what is keeping you in it this time around.

Shortish version - all the responsibility but none of the control, unrealistic deadlines set by management and then every missed deadline by the designers rolled downhill to me, the programmer, who had to make up the difference by working 14+ hour days, nights and weekends. It led to burnout. I realized that I was doing the same thing to myself by working for my business (instead of making my business work for me). I was setting myself up for the same sort of crash and burn and damaging my health and well-being in the process. 

As if I wouldn't follow my greatest NF inspiration ever. Also, to quote Xena, a Tarot-themed challenge is very ShadowLion-ey

:D

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

tip-hat.gif

Hmmm. I think a Pirate Tarot would be awesome...

Subbed! :)  Looking forward to seeing what goals you setup 

Goals are up! Just finished them and added a lot of images.

Can't wait for the details....  But I promise I'll try to be patient. 

giphy.gif

No need to be patient now...I got them done earlier than the last few challenges - finally!

Following.

Hey, Thom! The discussion last challenge about your rune meditations helped me decide to do this one now rather than later. Thanks!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I like your challenge the way you set it up. Good on you for identifying the potential for burnout. What are your plans to mitigate it?

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love this challenge. The theme is simple in a way, but meaningful (as meaningful as you make it) and absolutely captivating.

Sorry you were in a rough place over the weekend. It's easy to gloss over that with all the exciting positive things here. Are you starting to see your way a bit clear of it? At least hopefully the cold is getting better...

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

51rNjMvCaqL.jpg

Awesome! I hadn't run across those!

I like your challenge the way you set it up. Good on you for identifying the potential for burnout. What are your plans to mitigate it?

The biggest part of the plan is the daily 30 minutes of Goal 3 - Rebuilding my Strength. I am also looking at how to restructure my work schedule more generally. Haven't quite worked that out yet, but will report back when I do.

Love this challenge. The theme is simple in a way, but meaningful (as meaningful as you make it) and absolutely captivating.

Sorry you were in a rough place over the weekend. It's easy to gloss over that with all the exciting positive things here. Are you starting to see your way a bit clear of it? At least hopefully the cold is getting better...

Yes. Doing better, thanks.

I think I caught things early enough I can turn it around with exercise and light and happy things. It's always an issue this time of year, even living in Arizona. And I need to deal with the work stress and schedule. I've been spreading myself pretty thin lately and that needs to stop. 

I'm quietly excited about this challenge. It's been growing on me the more I work with it. It's helping me see how much I was shutting down my creative, artsy side with working such long hours coding. Balance... that was a major theme in the cards, as you will soon see.

• Like 4

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

This is an awesome challenge!! I really like the cards you are posting.

• Like 1

Hey, Thom! The discussion last challenge about your rune meditations helped me decide to do this one now rather than later. Thanks!

I thought that might be the case after reading your challenge. Glad to have helped.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

This is an awesome challenge!! I really like the cards you are posting.

I have many more in store... :) This is going to be a highly visual challenge.

Really interesting theme! I'll just sit here and let the awesome wash over me

Something a bit different. But, then, aren't we all dealing with archetypes in one way or another in our challenges? 

I thought that might be the case after reading your challenge. Glad to have helped.

Got me to renew and deepen my studies in something that has been very helpful to me over the years!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Fantastic. Sometimes re-learning teaches us anew. Particularly with archetypal universal principles such as can be found in the runes and Tarot.

• Like 2

Something a bit different. But, then, aren't we all dealing with archetypes in one way or another in our challenges?

Totally. It's great to see you nurture your spiritual and creative side. Our creations as well as the impact we have in people are pieces of us we scatter arround, so we may live forever in them.

Fantastic. Sometimes re-learning teaches us anew. Particularly with archetypal universal principles such as can be found in the runes and Tarot.

Very very true

• Like 1

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Queen of swords is a powerful card- one of the aspects of her that I've always liked is Nurturing by Subtraction- by removing dead weight, dividing tasks, shutting out and cutting away everything that's keeping you stuck. This looks like a great challenge- subbed!

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes