Toshimi- Stranded on an island

Toshimi

tumblr_inline_n10pzbqi841rfftnl.png

I feel like I've been drifting for quite awhile now. Keeping it simple to 2 things, so I can focus on them. Everything else I know I should be doing not going to take up challenge space for it right now. so taking inspiration from some of my new favorite shows over the next few challenges. This challenge- Lian Yu. 

4b134d6ec2a8cd7f9505d64a2cec2fdd.jpg

f605043a5c351ee84ce91e759b450474.jpg

Train 30 mins daily- this can take many forms. Stretching, core work, strength work, cardio, , practicing forms.

Tai-chi-island-style-on-Unfinished-Busin

Have quite time/meditation at least 5 mins at least 3 days a week

• Like 2

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I'll be updating the challenge later most likely, since I wrote it so early this morning (winds were really bad so kept me up a lot last night, and figured might as well do something with the time) 

This morning on my walk with my mom, i was thinking about my epic quest stuff, and what are concrete steps I can take toward those goals. (no more underpants gnomes) 

possible (or known) 2016 goals

Plan wedding/get married (June)- It's going well, have the florist and the list of things to do is getting shorter, but seems like the harder details are going to be closer to the end

Finish associates degree- I go back and forth on how to do this, but at the moment I'll be able to finish by the end of fall (spring at the latest). Might not be a degree that will let me transfer, but it will be done

The road to master penman- right now, my handwriting sucks. Before I can get into anything like copper plate, or Spencerian script, I just need to be able to write clearly, and easily. For that I have decided to go with italics script. My class this spring going to commit to doing all my notes handwritten, and coming home and copying them again by hand if it's needed to make it readable. I ordered the "Write Now" book, which I've heard great things about, and will use that and some practice sheets I've used in past challenges. 

As my handwriting gets better, I will get some nicer pens. Will probably be one of my "rewards" for this challenge once I update it. Article on choosing pens

planks- I feel like by the end of the year I should be able to make the 3min plank mark. especially with doing the ultimate plank challenge. Probably wont be this challenge, but soon

• Like 1

Got all my water/tea  in yesterday.

I know I have a problem with tea, mostly greens and oolongs. Since I use the same leaves all day I normally count it. From the reading I've done, most the of the caffeine is in the first cup or two, so I'm not worried so much about that. 

Currently my tea stash is a little low, so I've been drinking a lot of Dragonwell green, which I didn't think I liked very much at first. Now that is the only loose leaf tea at work (and I've figured out some tricks with steeping it) I've really come to enjoy it. Home has been mostly a gunpowder green. I am trying to find a time to go down to Bird pick or up to San fransisco to go to Vital Tea, but not sure when either will happen. 

My new order of matcha should be here today or tomorrow! Super excited!!!! Good for me, bad for my wallet, realized the place I ordered the Matcha from has a physical location in Los Angeles. I'd always been interested in matcha but never made it for myself, until my secret santa from 2014 got me some and the wisk  and a new tea obsession began

I can get back to my matcha latte's in the morning. A nice boost for the brain, and some morning calories from the half & half or heavy cream. 

At some point I would like to dive some into the more medicinal side of teas and herbal tinctures. I really believe in the power of teas and herbs (gypsy cold care especially!!!) and more natural remedies than always running to  doctors and western meds. They have their place, but It's interesting to me some of the more traditional medicines. 

anyway enough about teas

Did get my studying in. Got half of my Coursera work done for the week. Tonight I'm going to try and finish the other half, so I can get next week done this weekend. spent about an hour coloring while watching TV. It's supposed to be good for fine motor skills that will help with the handwriting. 

Also found some very dangerous things yesterday- the Pen lovers reddit page, and the Jetpens website. I think I figured out which pen's I want to order first. 3 of them are the same pen, but in 0.3 mm, 0.4 mm, 0.5 mm. I've not played a lot with different thicknesses, and want to use the same pen so I can get a feel for the difference between them. Also 2 fountain pens that were recommended for beginners (in a fine nib and medium nib)

I've decided I want to get to under 165 Lbs and be able to maintain that this challenge. Seems like I keep hitting these plateaus. I got to the under 170 mark, then have been bouncing just under that for the last month or so. A lot of it has to do with often loosing motivation for eating how I should. Really need to get the "never 2 meals in a row" mentality, instead of the "I screwed up one meal, might as well do whatever the rest of the day" which is important on days like today since there were cupcakes for one of my bosses birthday. It was gluten free (not the only one at my work that does the gluten free thing) but lots of sugar.. 

Hope everyone had a great first day, and in parting, here is the song that I can't seem to get out of my head this week:

Ended up cleaning the kitchen and some of the rest of the house instead of studying, but I feel like it was time well spent. 

Was a little short on the hydration, but got the 64 oz, just need to up it a little more. Need to find a non caffeinated tea to drink in the evenings I think will help. Out of my go to one. Not a huge fan of camomile, love chrysanthemum, just need to find another source other than San Fransisco, looks like amazon will do the trick, hopefully it's not too bad. Always a little hesitant to order tea I'm not able to smell or taste before hand. 

Having a hard time with the willpower to put down the tablet and turn off the tv at night. keep having the "oh just one more episode" I'm almost caught up on arrow, already caught up on dark matter, almost caught up on once upon a time, so I'm running out of shows to binge watch (I know there's always more, but not starting any new shows before school next week) Looking into

Spent half of my day so far cleaning out storage containers at work. its fun destroying the old wold shelves so we can put new metal ones in. Also doing a full inventory that hasnt been done in years (if ever) will be another long day of work today, and it's looking like it will be the norm. Still figuring out how I'm going to juggle having to leave early 2 days a week starting next week. Will probably just mean even longer days on Tuesday Wednesday Friday.

Didn't really have it as a goal on here, but i'm only about 1.5 lbs before my next weight loss goal. I'm going to focus on keeping my weight under 165 before I try loosing anymore. I've made it under the 165 mark, just to gain the weight back, so maintain for the rest of the challenge, then another push to loose some more after the next. By june i would like to be in the 150-155 range, which I feel is doable in 4 months, but I know I"m going to have to be more mindful of my weekend eating especially. 

Hey, it might not seem much now, but it's more than enough! the idea is to keep moving forward! good luck. 

Thanks! I keep trying to remind myself of one of my favorite quotes:

0791bf7e872264733e3518ad2f5caa4d.jpg

and especially with the 4 week challenges taking much smaller steps. 

Looks good from here. I think the dailies that you're doing for this challenge are going to figure into the epic stuff pretty well.

You and me are on the same track for water. Drink to your health!

I'm already noticing a difference in just the 2 days I've been drinking more water. Even more so today that I am way behind. A lot of catching up to do but i will make my drinking tonight! 

Been drooling over pens the last few days. Late night at work, might make a pit stop at staples on my way home. (or on my way to my last meeting not sure yet) and pick up a new writing pen or two. Have a few I have been wanting to try. 

• Like 1

Did a moving meditation this morning, maybe it should be considered more of a mindfulness thing. Spent time preparing my morning matcha, and just taking time to savor each step of the process. Trying to keep my mind clear of anything else and just focused on the tea. (tried my new matcha this morning, and it's very different from what I had before, will take some playing with before I get it right.

watched this last night. It was interesting. I've known meditation can help, but never really used it. 

I know I have a really bad tendency of letting my mind drift toward all the negative, so hoping this helps and will prevent some of the down swings i've been having lately

Been focusing on stretching mostly as a way to get my 30 mins in. Starting to notice a difference in my back and knee. Hoping that and getting the soles of my shoes re done should help. I talked to my Kung Fu teacher last week, and he suggested that I cover the bottom of my shoes in the same sued that are on a lot of shoes used in dancing. Even offered to take them down to the shoe guy that he uses to do the same (apparently there aren't really people in town that do that). Good thing, it should help my knee, bad thing, no shoes for kung fu for a week. 

Started my geography class yesterday. love the teacher! Trying to switch my lab to the one today instead of the one thursday. Mainly because I dont want to take a final 2 days before my wedding. Would rather do it earlier in the week. Almost done with my Coursera class, my goal is to finish it by tomorrow. 

Starting to feel better about these shorter challenges. I wasn't sure I liked them before. 

• Like 2

Yeah, these new challenges are fun. There's no chance at a slump, which I like. They feel a little less focused, which I don't know that I prefer, but I do feel like I enjoy these challenges more.

Anyway, glad to hear that things are apparently going well! Keep it up!

Spent time last night just trying to mediate with music before class. I'm finding that moving meditations allow me to better clear my mind. I would like to get back to being able to do guided meditations, or just meditate with music, but the last few times i've tried it's just gotten me more frustrated than anything, since I can't seem to focus or keep my mind from jumping all over the place. Just going to keep doing what's working for now, but I think mediation will be part of my challenges for awhile. 

Finished my coursera class on learning, signed up for two more. Positive Psychology which is on demand so i can do as much or as little as I want each week. and A Life of Happiness and Fulfillment which starts Monday and goes for 6 weeks. 

Training/movement will be a little challenging today, but I'll make up the time in the next few days if I dont get any today. Had early meetings at work, then a 7 hour drive this afternoon/evening. should be lots of hiking/walking around over the weekend. Going wine tasting (maybe picking out some of the wine for the wedding) and probably hiking. I know there will be ice cream (one of our favorite places is about a 20 min drive from where we are staying) but other than that will be an good food week. My parents eat the same way I do, and my sister has even more restrictions than the rest of us. We tend to do pretty much meat and veggies. 

Halfway through this challenge, and I think I have most of the challenge things I want to do between now and the wedding mapped out. Some of them harder than others, but I think I'm going to be able to keep with the Arrowverse theme too. 

• Like 1

Started Darebee foundations over the weekend... going to try day 2 for the 2nd time. Did day one saturday fine, then spent 2 hours raking/burning pine needles. Sunday started with another hour plus of raking, which after I barely made it through one round of the workout. Not going to stress about doing a workout every day, but the goal is 5 a week, and to always do whatever day is next.  the 30 days of working out will take me 6 weeks, but I'm okay with that. 

Had a great weekend overall, did a short walk (was supposed to be a longer hike but there was still snow!) did some wine tasting, then the yard work... over all a great weekend with family. Now this week I need to dive back into wedding planning, keep up with classes, and somehow catch up with work! 

Mantra for the week: 

giphy.gif

Just keep swimming!

• Like 1

I feel like this is a little bit rambling, but my brain is sort of all over the place...

Just realized 4 weeks until my next test! I really need to start going through some of the older animal forms, and write out some of the newer ones. Loving our new form Wankan (PGMB) a longer variation on the other Wankan I'll eventually learn. I think I have just about everything I need to do for my next belt test! I'm excited about that! 

Not going to do private lessons this time before hand, as much as I love them, I want to wait until after the wedding then going to do some fun classes with Master A. Even through a lot of what we do is more from a self defense perspective, there are some things I want to work on (opponent with knife/other weapons being one). It's going to take more coordination since we'll need another person to help. Already putting some money away to do so!

Geography is going well, using some things from the learning how to learn class, mainly the outlining the chapter and testing myself on the material. Lab yesterday was all longitude  and latitude, which although time consuming, was fairly easy. 

Couldn't sleep last night, so stayed up until midnight finding a shuttle for after the wedding and doing work. Figured if I wasn't sleeping anyway, I might as well be doing something productive. It's made today a little interesting, but with enough green tea anything is possible!

Time to get back to trying to be productive at work. Just a little more I have to get done today, then the rest can wait till tomorrow

ITS FRIDAY!!!!!!

Had another great night of Kung Fu, thankfully my dad convinced me to go, i really wasn't feeling it. Worked on a lot of agility type stuff than any one move. how to keep your balance when you're being pushed around. Then moved into some hapkido type stuff. an elbow break and a shoulder throw. 

I need to come up with some sort of schedule to keep up on my older animal techniques. Test in 4ish weeks, and I feel like I"m scrambling to review everything... 

Should be a fun/crazy weekend. Kung Fu tomorrow, sunday is a bike ride. Have a big list of stuff I need to do in addition to cleaning up the house, studying and reading... and sleep, that should be somewhere in there too. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

This will probably be the last post this challenge. Been getting some workouts in, meditations only been 2-3 mins at best, but trying to do something. 

Been working 8-10 hours at the office, then still working at home. Keeping up with homework alright so far

One of the brown belts  is in my lecture class, we had a nice chat before class on Monday about the Kung Fu School, and reviewing for the test in a few weeks. 

hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

I did not, but that's okay, because sometimes these challenges are learning experiences. :P

Sounds like long days and lots of work, but you're keeping up. That's good. Fantastic, and glad to hear. :)

I'm kind of stuck between challenges as far as getting around to everyone goes, so as of this post I don't know if you're on the next challenge with us or not. But I hope this one ended well for you!

• Like 1

I did not, but that's okay, because sometimes these challenges are learning experiences. :P

Sounds like long days and lots of work, but you're keeping up. That's good. Fantastic, and glad to hear. :)

I'm kind of stuck between challenges as far as getting around to everyone goes, so as of this post I don't know if you're on the next challenge with us or not. But I hope this one ended well for you!

I like the 4 weeks, but I feel like it's a lot harder keeping track of everyone's posts.

I did get a new thread up. Just edited it, and hoping for the best