As usual I have too much to do for just the requisite amount of goals per month, but unless I make great headway I'll never get anywhere so I'm making another big push this month. I also have to return to work in March so it's now or never!

1. Improve Diet

• Continue to eat soups/pasta/healthy pre-prepared meals/baked beans/omelettes for dinner at least 5 days/week
  • Get started on a joint meal plan, for me & baby.
  • Consider how to limit snacking during this stressful period

2. Exercise

• take baby outside at least 5 days/week - using sling where possible

3. Posture

• stand up straight when following baby around, aim not to sit down during this time, or max sitting time 1 min every 15

4. Bedtime Routine

• finish eating by 8:30 pm (unless baby bedtime takes too long, but it's usually finished by 8)
  • continue January task of doing housework to "reset to zero" right after eating, i.e. washing up, cleaning kitchen, tidying away toys etc
  • once housework is done, get ready for bed all bar teeth cleaning
  • clean teeth by 9:30 pm

5. Forgiveness

"To forgive is to release a prisoner, and realise that prisoner was you"

After some stomach-turning betrayals I need to move forward with my life. Plan:

• there are 3 people I want to get started with; so that's an average of 1 / week
  • write a letter to them explaining why I am cross with them
  • write a pretend letter back from them explaining why they are sorry (apparently this technique does actually work!!)

6. Enjoy Time With Baby

This is the most important one of all! This is the last month where I am not at work and he is not at nursery. This is linked to my "being present" tag.

• Limit mobile phone usage to only 1 min every 15
  • No mobile phone during meal times
  • Read together every day
  • Find more baby activities in the area for him
  • Take him to swings when possible

6a. Sub-Goal: Deactivate facebook account

I feel this will assist with the being present, and having more time to get on with things.

7. Tidying

I moved house at the end of December into an unfurnished property. By the end of January I have made massive improvements to my living space, and some of the house is happiness-inducing nice. Other parts make me feel the weight of stuff to do.

I have 28 items of house tidying that I want to achieve in Feb - there's 28 days in the month, and 26 days of this challenge, so averaging 1/day will work out nicely. In no particular order...

Lounge

• get TV table assembled
  • put up pictures throughout house (pictures are all currently boxed up in the lounge)
  • wipe clean yoga ball
  • wipe down all window sills (throughout house)

Mirrored Room

• move stuff to donate/sell to spare room
  • wash all clothes that I will be putting in new drawers/wardrobe
  • make decision on awkward clothing
  • declutter corner of mirrored room
  • get rid of plastic boxes in mirrored room
  • tidy baby changing unit

Kitchen

• clean inside fridge
  • clean inside freezer
  • clean inside repaired cupboard
  • wash all items that had been in repaired cupboard
  • rearrange kitchen organisation with extra cupboard to help
  • organise kitchen cupboards and drawers, buying organisers (that fit - measure first!) where necessary
  • declutter and tidy counter tops
  • research baby proofing items (for kitchen & for stairs)
  • order baby proofing items (for kitchen & for stairs)
  • consider a staging area for recycling and incoming mail/mid-processing mail

Bathroom

• declutter bathroom possessions
  • organise bathroom possessions
  • clean bathroom

Bedroom

• unpack (and connect) printer
  • put more curtain rings on bedroom curtains
  • get second memory box & start putting stuff in it (mem box ordered - trying out amazon prime "deliver this evening")

Spare Room

• put up curtains
  • declutter stationary drawers
  • give clothes to charity that I no longer want

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Days 1-3 bedtime have been derailed slightly by TV & internet.  It's surprising how much time it takes to research purchases online.

I think I will need to make a rule that if I want to do internet, unless there's an emergency late on in the day which somehow needs me to be online & take action immediately, I will do it at lunchtime during baby's nap.

Tidying is ongoing but it's taking a long time to do just one (big) task.  Still, some of the other ones are smaller.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

Day 5 still derailed by internet, again!  I thought: "I need to buy baby socks.  I'll timebox it, just 10 minutes."  But of course, it took much longer than that to find some nice socks & check out they were the best price I could get, etc.  Plus other internet general procrastination.

Retrospective

The positives of the evening was that I managed to get mostly ready for bed by 9:30pm.  

• I think I may need to impose a "no sugar following dinner" (i.e. no pudding, whether biscuit, chocolate or similar) rule so that I feel like I can clean my teeth earlier.  I'm sure that would have a good impact on overall diet, too.
  • Also, I think my evening routine needs to be: "reset house to zero" before taking on any further activities, i.e. straightening it up, cleaning it, making sure no odd household tasks to do, toys all put away, rooms ready for baby/visitors the next day etc BEFORE I push on with my challenge.

In other news...

I could feel my trousers looser on me today.  I guess I am much more active at the moment than my former sedentary office lifestyle, where I'm always looking around for the next thing to do/keep on top of.

I took my measurements and hips are back down to 40" (where they've been most of their lives), bust 37", thigh circumference 23", knees about 15.5" - all relatively on par with my old figure except for a GIANT TUMMY!  Biggest part ~ 36", and waist 30" (eek - I was formerly 28" waist with 40" hips).

But if you just eat crap and don't do any core muscle exercises, that's not really a surprise, right?!  

One thing at a time, though.  Or many things, but some later.

-- Facebook

Derailed by the internet, AGAIN!  When will I learn.

Although I can't wait for all the baby clothes I spent all evening choosing to arrive :)

Had a lightweight dinner today & yesterday, so that's something.  Am working my way through the existing packets of biscuits & chocolate bars with the intention of minimal replacement this time, and am trying to consider some alternative snacks.

-- Facebook

Still plugging away at the clutter in the corner of the "mirrored room".  It feels like I'm always working on this and seeing little progress, but looks can be deceiving.  I need to find somewhere to dispose of large plastic boxes & similar though, as they won't fit in my rubbish bins.

So far I have given a bag of clothes to charity (BHF in honour of 18ck) and sent another load of smart clothes & suits to a women's charity who help get people interview clothes so they can land a job.

I have another pack of clothes awaiting posting to another charity, and baby clothes which will be sent to a street children charity.

I was mostly ready for bed by 9:30pm except teeth; baby went off late.  The internet is still killing my sleep though, but I am checking facebook less & will shortly deactivate my account there once I've tied up a couple of loose ends.

Despite the internet badness, I am definitely finding the evening routine is otherwise working for me.  I also need to clear away stuff immediately after baby meal, otherwise I find the pile of grated cheese on the high chair & floor daunting and procrastination-inducing, even though it is no great ordeal for me to tidy up in practice!

Mobile checking during baby meal times - have been doing this except on one occasion.  Have been doing more interactive play with baby, who seems to like it.  Baby has lots of toys now, enough for me to put in place a proper daily rotation system so he doesn't get bored of any one toy.

Today I ate a lot healthier than previously.  All the 'naughtiest' biscuits are gone & I don't plan on replacing them.  There is chocolate in the cupboard but I think I may put it to the back and aim to forget about it until times of greatest need.

Better go to bed now.

-- Facebook

That's quite a list of putting the house in order. I have some very similar tasks on my list, including a donation pile in my spare (yoga) room. I had no idea that tidying was going to create a bigger mess. It'll be so worth it in the end, though. How's your list coming?

For the internet, I installed an extension called StayFocusd, which blocks the sites I've listed after a chosen amount of time. I'd often find myself refreshing Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook over and over for no reason. Now that they are all blocked after fifteen minutes, I've noticed how often I click on them without even thinking about it. Depending on what part of the internet is derailing you, something like that might help.

• Like 1

That's quite a list of putting the house in order. I have some very similar tasks on my list, including a donation pile in my spare (yoga) room. I had no idea that tidying was going to create a bigger mess. It'll be so worth it in the end, though. How's your list coming?

For the internet, I installed an extension called StayFocusd, which blocks the sites I've listed after a chosen amount of time. I'd often find myself refreshing Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook over and over for no reason. Now that they are all blocked after fifteen minutes, I've noticed how often I click on them without even thinking about it. Depending on what part of the internet is derailing you, something like that might help.

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check out that plugin.  

I mainly get derailed by internet shopping - it takes ages to research each thing and work out which of the many choices I'm going to get, followed by - what's the best price I can get it for, etc.  I've moved into (what was an) unfurnished place, so I've had to do almost everything from scratch.

I did a mega internet shop the last few nights, mainly for baby clothes (and some books/toys) and I was buying in line with the "does this spark joy?" as my criterion for buying.  Almost all the clothes etc have arrived and, even though it cost me a fortune, just to see them all in a pile (waiting to be washed) makes me feel very happy!  So does the giraffe "baby on board" thingy I bought to go in my car :)  Unnecessary but joy-inducing & makes me smile when I see it!

I have ordered a bin for my recycling and a little basket to put my daily "things to sort" (mail, flyers, receipts) in; both of which I'm hoping will severely reduce the clutter issue going on in the kitchen on the worktop.  I realised that taking stuff outside each time I have something recyclable wasn't practical - but it took a couple of weeks!  The bin thing I've bought is a pink zippable bag and looks cute, so again, I'm hoping even the bin sparks joy :)  I also bought a toy cupboard with silly dinosaur pictures on the doors - a bit of a risk but I guess it was reasonably cheap should I hate it if it arrives (am going for a 'dino and dragons' theme downstairs for baby).

While my list isn't coming along spectacularly, I have been making good progress in the house and it feels like there's a lot less left to do.  I've been lightly thinking how I may want to organise the space for "stations" that I may want to have, e.g. a fitness station, a stationery station, a launchpad station & so on.  Once I've cleared down the clutter some more, I'm hoping it will become more obvious how I can arrange things!  

-- Facebook

Progress made - this evening I had showered & got ready for bed by 9.40pm.  I had earlier resisted the temptation to go upstairs and start ordering things on the internet.  

Will do purchasing now - I can barely breathe in the house with this minor sniffle, so an air purifier is top of my list, followed by a cupboard to store coats in - am seeking to minimise ANY dusting required in the house.

-- Facebook

I have 2 air purifiers whirring away now, hope they work!

My new ambition for the kitchen is to have the with surfaces so clear that I could vacuum them with a hand held cleaner if I want to.

I realised that I don't air places I love in due to a traumatic experience at university where I did this for an hour or so and 6 MASSIVE spiders entered my bedroom which I only noticed on the ceiling at night and ended up spending 2 nights sleeping in the computer room before I got help removing them.

This is similar to an experience that out me off tidying for years, where I uncovered a large spider behind me bed when I picked up a tissue.

Clearly this is something I need to revisit in order to clear out the old demons and fears!

Spent til 1 am this morning assembling a toy cupboard unit which now looks nice and neat, and mopping the floor where there had been a number of poo incidents :(

-- Facebook

The evening routine is coming on well, I have just been pushing hard to get so much done and it means (once again) I'm up late.  But I feel better about the house.

I am feeling the rooms which don't have air purifiers... earlier the baby started coughing and I noticed the lights had gone amber on the machine which indicated poorer air quality.  But when I checked back a few minutes later, the lights were blue and he was no longer coughing, so presumably it is doing its job!  would just like one in my bedroom now...

Also, pleased that I managed to check off the "wipe dust off gym ball" house task - it's ridiculously small and had been bugging me that I'd not done it.

Baby is getting keen on reading books, he keeps bringing them over to me and then shoving the book at me!  He gets distracted too easily by all the other books lying around though!

-- Facebook

Pleased to hear bedtime routine coming along well.

Ah internet shopping, so good but such a time vortex.  I love dinosaurs - great room theme choice,  Even though hatchling is a girl I dress her in the boys dinosaur clothes because they are awesome.

Good work on the loose pants! 

Hatchling has recently discovered books too! but wants to just turn the pages without letting me read them.

Have you been getting outside with baby? What kind of sling do you use?

I have been using a front pack but now hatchling is 10kg and it kills my shoulders.  But I don't really have any other options at the moment so always keen to hear what other people use.

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Pleased to hear bedtime routine coming along well.

Ah internet shopping, so good but such a time vortex.  I love dinosaurs - great room theme choice,  Even though hatchling is a girl I dress her in the boys dinosaur clothes because they are awesome.

Good work on the loose pants! 

Hatchling has recently discovered books too! but wants to just turn the pages without letting me read them.

Have you been getting outside with baby? What kind of sling do you use?

I have been using a front pack but now hatchling is 10kg and it kills my shoulders.  But I don't really have any other options at the moment so always keen to hear what other people use.

Hehe, I used to dress baby Snowdrop in pink sometimes but everyone kept assuming he was a girl.  I've moved on to more turquoise and greens now, but he's more often guess-called a 'she' than a he.  Maybe I should try the dino clothes thing instead ;-)  Funnily enough, me & a friend were considering doing market research on some better gender neutral clothes alternatives as I'm so sick of pink princesses and cheeky monkey blue boys! :)

Snowdrop is a fast page-turner too.  He seems to have book ADHD if too many are left around, where we'll read maybe 2 pages of one book and then he throws the next one at me to read, before going back to the first after another 2 pages!  Very frustrating (for me) :D

I have a boba 4g 'tweet' pattern structured sling.  I read that it was the best for your back as baby grows bigger, which is important for me, as I have a chronic bad back since my early teens.  We have just hit 9kg here :)

-- Facebook

Taking a quick(ish) break from tidying to say I'm making good progress on the house :)

Have booked in a handy man on Tuesday to assemble some remaining furniture & hang up my pictures.

Created a gumtree account with the intention of selling some stuff locally to help declutter.

I have SPACE on my kitchen counter and it is a wonderful thing.  More things that I've ordered have arrived in the post, such as the recycling storage bags, and the air purifier is making a real difference to me being able to breathe.

I am finally tackling the cleaning of the kitchen.  It is a daunting task.

I am on track to just about complete the house by the end of this month.  I am pushing hard as usually, when approaching the end of a task, I start to slow down and then it drags on forever.  This had better not! :D

-- Facebook

Good luck on getting the house done. You've been making great progress!

Thanks! :)

Last night was an internet night, as I was desperately ordering microfibre EVERYTHING in order to get the dust out of this house.  And another air purifier for my bedroom.  

The house is a bit more breathable today.  My wardrobe delivery has turned up, so now I have just a few days to go until the lounge is done!! :D

-- Facebook

So I will soon be engaging again in a battle in the great Crusade Against Dust.

This evening I had to phone some friends (I find this strangely obstructive to Getting Stuff Done, but that's just my all-or-nothing personality) but I've made progress in the kitchen and can now see a lot of worktop space, which is a near-magical sight.

Got ready for bed & did nightly household chores in reasonable time, unfortunately now it's that time to go and Order More Stuff On Amazon Prime (omSOAP huh?... your local meditative cleaning device) to inch that bit closer to the final destination.

Excited about tomorrow, when a bunch of stuff will be arriving.  I also plan on opening the cardboard boxes outside now, as I figure that ripping them apart in the house is not helping with the dust situation.

• Like 1

-- Facebook

Right, so today's big ticket purchases were (another) vacuum cleaner, and an electric toothbrush with a sanitising unit.  I am pretty excited about these.

I had bought a very lightweight cordless vacuum recently, which is nice to run around the laminated floors downstairs, but kinda sucks at hoovering the carpets on the stairs.  Or maybe I should say, doesn't suck enough.

So this is my poweruser tool, and the reviews speak very highly of it (including for dealing with LONG hair) - can't wait to get the house that bit more dust-free.

I haven't managed to get much progress done on the house as I've been spending all my spare time today making internet orders.  But I only have a few more days in which I can easily get things delivered, before life circumstances change so I feel I need to sort it now.

New air purifier is in my bedroom.  It is currently showing amber air purity and blowing the ceiling light all over the place.

-- Facebook

Oh yes, forgot to mention, the bedtime routine thing is working for me in that I am ready to go to bed earlier than before.  Despite my late night internet sessions, I am sure I am reaping the benefits of this from not procrastinating about cleaning up the kitchen every night, which would no doubt cause me to go to bed EVEN later than I am already doing.

-- Facebook

Today I took 3 of my new microfibre cloths on a tour of the house's skirting boards, some door frames & radiators.  Given the colour they were coming out at, I'm glad I did!

Also managed to get a quick light vacuum of the stairs done.  Can't wait for new vacuum cleaner to arrive!

Bedtime routine went well.  Just need to go to bed after I do 1000 things online.  I think I'm allowing myself too much "relaxing" time in the evenings in the last weeks or so - sometimes as much as an hour!  It's because the TV is on & I get interested in the programme.  I need to crack on instead with tasks while the going is good.

-- Facebook

More cleaning products have arrived.  It's like Christmas!  It's past midnight now though so I guess I'm not going to get to use them for at least another 20 hours.

Internet & TV disruption to the evening.  Almost as if it's a pattern...! 

I have been doing some productive internet stuff, and to be honest, the TV probably only took up 10 extra minutes of my time.  But somehow I got onto creating a bunch of amazon reviews for purposes yet unknown to myself.  Okay, I confess, I saw my "reviewer rankings" jump now I had "8 helpful" reviews so I'm about their top 150,000th reviewer and I fancy getting some free products to review like all those vine voices people.

I was literally falling asleep during the day today (awoken by a plastic toy hitting my forehead from a baby that wanted to escape the playpen) so I need to get a grip on these late nights, particularly as I have quite a bit of long distance travel ahead of me very soon :(

-- Facebook

Oh, a good thing: the air quality in my home has massively improved (since I went wiped the skirting boards clean - not sure if it's a coincidence?) or at least I seem to be breathing easier and coughing a lot less now.  Soooo relieved!

-- Facebook

So today we have made a breakthrough on the house!

The following is DONE:

7. Tidying

Lounge

• get TV table assembled
  • put up pictures throughout house (pictures are all currently boxed up in the lounge)
  • wipe clean yoga ball
  • wipe down all window sills (throughout house)

Mirrored Room

• move stuff to donate/sell to spare room
  • wash all clothes that I will be putting in new drawers/wardrobe

Kitchen

• consider a staging area for recycling and incoming mail/mid-processing mail

Bedroom

• get second memory box & start putting stuff in it (mem box ordered - trying out amazon prime "deliver this evening")

-- Facebook

The update doesn't sound like a great deal, so here are some BEFORE and AFTER pictures :)

I'll leave you to guess which is which ;-)

IMG_0493_zps1mlcobz9.jpg

DSCF2126_zpsk1mwjdu1.jpg

YAY!

Plus also, now that I had a guy come & hang up pictures (as well as assemble furniture), the baby's nursery is done too :)  It was a pleasure to sit in there tonight, knowing the room is done, and being able to breathe normally.  I could relax at last!

• Like 1

-- Facebook

That room looks amazing! Great work on all the organising

Thanks KiwiChick! :)

---

As the last two nights have been a complete write-off (from a pragmatic point of view - I had to travel elsewhere for my grandmother's funeral, and last night baby came down with a bad bug) I'm extending my challenge to the end of this weekend.  

My goal for the last 2 days is to clear the clutter from the corner of the 'mirrored room'.

There will be pictures!

-- Facebook