RisenPhoenix At Least Does Something

RisenPhoenix

Another simple challenge for me, because straight forward seems to be the name of the game for these 4 week challenges.

I realized this weekend I tend to view things in a manner of "I need to do at least X" to feel accomplished.  More is good.  But I have a set level of things I like to do in order to feel accomplished.  So I figured, why not make a challenge of At Least Accomplishing things?  If nothing else, it lets me do a small word pun.

1) At Least... One new veggie a week

I'm pretty boring with my veggies.  Typically some broccoli or cauliflower or asparagus for the green/fiberous veggie, and then a sweet potato or a squash for the more starchy one.  I should branch out a bit more, especially since I do like cooking.  So one new thing when I go to the grocery store each week.  Veggie suggestions welcome.

2) At Least... One non-aikido workout a week

Yea, this will likely be a lifting workout, and therefore is an extension of the last challenge.  But I'm also a bit gimpy right now, so I figure demanding a lift session a week pigeon holds me a bit too much.  This at least allows me to do some rucks, yoga, or BW work.  This was going to be a work out at least 6 days a week challenge, but then I realized I don't want to go crazy.  Er.  Crazier. 

3) At Least... One aikido post per week

Okay, I kind of need to get this one approved first, but...  I'm a co-admin on the dojo's Facebook page.  One thing that page needs is some more lift, particularly emphasizing things that are more central to our dojo.  A lot of the other dojo pages I follow post semi-regularly, and I want to try and do that to see if it helps improve the page and/or nets us new students.  I need to talk to the senior instructors tonight about it, but assuming that they've liked my Facebook prowess in the past, then this should be all set.

4) At least... Finish reading two books

So I have two self-help/philosophy books I'm in the middle of right now.  One is Level Up Your Life.  The other is Walking the Way.  Both I have been enjoying greatly, but I'd like to finish reading them both by the end of the challenge.

So this also is the first challenge I've had in a while where self-care is not explicitly a goal.  People are more than welcome to run in and double check that I'm still doing that too.  Yesterday was a bit rough, but I managed to survive, so small reminders to calm the fuck down are welcome.  In the mean time, expect the same rambling thoughts and processes that normally pop up during my challenges.

• Like 5

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Well yeah. It means you're going to do something instead of nothing, right? :D

So days Nothing would be wonderful.

Updated.  Pretty boring stuff, but I really can't be bothered to think of exciting things right now.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Try out Zucchini.  

Oh, I do that a lot too.  Though lately I've been lazy and not even bothering with it.  Because cooking.

Though maybe an alternative prep to zucchini will be a pass for this.  Maybe zucchini fries or something...  Hermm....

• Like 1

I will remind you to calm the fuck down if you remind me to calm the fuck down.  (Also, I'm going to read Walking the Way on your rec.)

Zucchini is great roasted, along with red peppers.  I've been doing a lot of cabbage in okonomiyaki or stirfries lately.  Get a bulb of fennel, makes a good salad with an orange or is nice cooked with an onion.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower are my go tos as well but:

Brussel Sprouts, amazing on the stove top. Parsnips are awesome in a root veggie mix or cooked into mashed potatoes. Celery root is very popular right now although I'm not really using it. Peppers or all types is you aren't already using them. I you are willing to count mushrooms as a "vegetable" then roast or grill those. I've never been a big fan of bitter greens (kale and that sort of thing) but alot of folks love to saute those. 

• Like 3

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

Oh yeah, kale is great, especially in Portuguese/Italian stews.  (Italian sausage, a sauteed onion, a can of diced tomatoes, and a fuckload of kale is AWESOME.)  Also, eggplant.  Cubed, tossed with olive oil, and roasted.  Or sliced into rounds and baked with a little cheese on top.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Mmmmm veggies.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

You are all fantastic.

I'm also going to update my goal to say new veggie and cooking method.  I usually just steam the veggies or roast the squashes.  I'm really boring.  But those things are fast and easy to store/batch cook, respectively, so that's where I end up going.

I will remind you to calm the fuck down if you remind me to calm the fuck down.  (Also, I'm going to read Walking the Way on your rec.)

Deal.

Also I kinda feel like the author of Walking the Way is a bit of a dick, or else I'm missing some context that his anecdotes are leaving out.  Because I don't infrequently go "Who the hell reacts that way?!?" when reading his bits.  But the translation of the Tao Te Ching is decent, and the musings on not his life seem mostly on point.  A few outta-left-field points/connections, but I can see how he got to them at least.

I usually just steam the veggies or roast the squashes.  I'm really boring.  But those things are fast and easy to store/batch cook, respectively, so that's where I end up going.

Also I kinda feel like the author of Walking the Way is a bit of a dick, or else I'm missing some context that his anecdotes are leaving out.  Because I don't infrequently go "Who the hell reacts that way?!?" when reading his bits.  But the translation of the Tao Te Ching is decent, and the musings on not his life seem mostly on point.  A few outta-left-field points/connections, but I can see how he got to them at least.

Any roasted veggie will store easily.  Every vegetable that's not a leaf can be roasted.

Gotcha, I will keep an eye on the douche levels.

Cauliflower rice is my new favorite veggie obsession. Instead of cooking it on the stove like some recipes suggest, I put it under the broiler with butter and salt. Went amazing with the tikka masala I made last week.

I got orange and purple cauliflower to try it with this week.

Zoodle recipes are fun too

This calls for Kale and Carrots, but I have thrown just about any veggies in it, I also add lemon zest at the start, and lemon juice at the end

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

This is why I love nerds.  I go "Veggies?" and you all reply with some variant of "VEGGIES!!!!"

Most people just give me funny looks.

Monday came and went.  Not much to report on the challenge front.  I did talk to a senior instructor and got the go ahead to start updating the Facebook page once a week with aikido-related thing.  With the caveat that I need to pass things that involve other sensei (fun fact, apparently the plural of sensei is sensei, I found out recently) through Sensei first.  Which means.... pretty much everything.  So I have no idea how I'm going to pull this off.  I'll talk with Sensei later this week and figure that out, and maybe it'll light a fire under him to help us get some more techniques performed by him to post on Youtube.  Preferably the Kanai sensei special ones.  Oh, right, and even though my dojo has a direct lineage to Kanai sensei, I can't post any videos of him.  Because martial arts political BS.  Gah! *facepalm*

Anyway, so there was that on the aikido front.  Also ended up hanging out with the Karateka and her partner before aikido.  They are dangerous to hang out with for a person on a cut/calorie counting.  Food and drink and cookies and all the good things in that apartment.  But it was fun to sit and chill out a bit before class, especially since otherwise I'd be hunkering down outside the dojo waiting for keys to be let in.

And for those following the job hunt saga, had a decent phone call with a recruiter last night.  It's the same guy who got me that promising interview back in November.  I had sent him an email at the start of January asking if they were gearing up again, and got a "newp" back.  Hunting this weekend I saw another job posted on their site, and figured I'd poke again.  Plus I saw another job at a different company that he seemed to be connected with, so I asked about that.  Well, the bad news is the company from November at the moment seems to be in a freeze until April now.  So that ain't gonna fly.  But apparently my network stalking on LinkedIn was useful - he was closing a deal to be the microbiology/immunology/all the things I do recruiter for that other company, and was waiting to have final paperwork clear.  So he said he would totally send my stuff over there.  So huzzah!  And then he also said another similar company responded really well to him last time to him proactively giving them a candidate, and that after working with me back in November and again now that he would be totally willing to do that for me, too.  So huzzah, two birds, one stone!  Still need to keep searching on my own, but hey, not too shabby.

Went home after aikido and read Level Up Your Life a bit more.  Almost done with that, as it's a fast read.  And honestly, I like reading it, but I've been on NF long enough that most of the material retreads old ground.  But I kind of expected that when I bought the book, and bought it more to support Steve and NF anyway.  I expect that I'll finish the book before the week is out.  In which case I will reward myself with the third novel in the Expanse series, because I NEED THAT BOOK NOW.

Also I'm currently overhearing a conversation my boss is having with the office next door to mine.  Reminding me why I need to leave this place HARDCORE.

• Like 5

As always, following this less entertaining version of your texts. 

Now this makes me want to see the more entertaining texts! 

Also I'm currently overhearing a conversation my boss is having with the office next door to mine.  Reminding me why I need to leave this place HARDCORE.

I hear ya man.  Damn near every day for me too.  :( 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sooo many veggies....I love cooking veggies in new ways. Some favorites so far:

-Balsamic braised bacon onion and brussel sprouts

-mashed caulflower, plain or loaded

-grilled asparagus

-high heat sautéed zucchini, summer squash, onions and mushrooms with oriental style seasoning

-roasted brussel sprouts seasones with left over dry rub seasoning

-smoked stuffed mushrooms

Damn now I'm hungry....

• Like 3

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Hell yeah lifting. You're basically a warrior now.

Pffft.  You missed the majority of my lifting challenges.  The end of 2014 I was getting my three lifting session a week, plus everything else - aikido, November project, more aikido.  But it just wasn't sustainable for that long.  I had no ability to do anything.  So I cut it down to two days for several months.  And then after Japan realized I needed some things to change at work, and I needed sleep more than the iron.  And then I got injured in September, so the iron was totally out.  And now... now I'm attempting to get back into the iron.  I missed it.  And I wish I could do the twice-a-week thing.  But for now, still not able to knock off the hours of sleep I currently need for a gym workout.

I need to get back on the iron train.  Just timings are a bit tricky right now.

• Like 1