AngellaMarie is breaking bad habits

AngellaMarie

Greetings! I'm proud of myself, I did really well during the Jan 4-29 challenge and I've formed some good habits by sticking to my goals last month. One I am really proud of is no soda! I need to keep breaking bad habits this month. Here are my challenge goals:

1. Diet: start cutting out other sugary drinks - by last week of challenge consume none
  2. Diet: start limiting processed foods - 1 meal/day Paleo
  3. Fitness: work out 4x/week with at least 2 days of yoga each week
  4. Level Up Life: Get 8 hours of sleep during work week. 

I've also been walking when weather allows and counting my miles towards the Walk to Mordor challenge. I'm not very far yet, but I've recently re-read the LOTR books and am really enjoying the process. Can't wait for warmer weather when I can really rack up some miles!

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor --> Hobbiton to Rivendell (209.2/458 miles)

Amazon Warrior: Level 3

STR 1 | DEX 0 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

April 3-30(3) | (2) | (1) | Battle Log | Instagram

good luck this challenge!  let's rock it! 

Did you go all last month soda free too?

Yes! We got this!

I did go all month soda free. :) Now I'm working on cutting out all the other drinks. They're so tempting. 

• Like 2

I went off of soda completely for a year and I celebrated with a soda! LOL You can do it!! :) 

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

No soda is a great goal to have - and well done on killing it! Soda water and lemon/lime/orange was my trick to cutting it out. Good luck! We've got your back!

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Yes! We got this!

I did go all month soda free. :) Now I'm working on cutting out all the other drinks. They're so tempting.

Coffee is my nemesis, but I am slowly cutting that back one cup at a time.

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

*snip* arent all that great?

See, thats a bit of a problem I have. At the bar I work, we make our own sodas. Cola, LLB, ginger, even stuff like rhubarb or apricot. They're fairly sugary - still way better than commercial - but they're SO GOOD. Made me realise how crap the stuff you can buy is, compared to the god stuff thats homemade.

• Like 2

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

After college I had really reduced my soda consumption to maybe 3-4 times a year, usually when I was on a road trip so I didn't consider it a problem. Since August I've been living in an apartment near Detroit, MI while my husband stayed in Ohio and finished working (his employer went out of business) then finished getting the house ready to put up for sale (this is a complicated story) after he became unemployed...so I drive 4 hours back to the Youngstown, OH area every weekend and the temptation to grab a soda on the drive back hit. So after the new year I just decided I was going to give it up before the habit could kick back in. Within the next couple of months I shouldn't have to face the temptation anymore once my husband and I cohabitate again. :)

And delicious, sugary coffees are my nemesis now. It's tempting, especially on Mondays, to stop by Starbucks and grab one. I know I can drink black coffee...blah blah blah...but it doesn't taste good to me so best to just start cutting it out and pretend I like tea. ;) I really do enjoy tea with honey but not as much as those high-calorie coffees. And as far as my sugary drink goal is going this challenge: it's good. I am finishing up the lemonade and sweetened tea I already had in my fridge because I hate wasting.  

• Like 1

Explore your way around things like green teas and tisanes. I love gen mai chai sencha and things like that. No sugar required! 

And Starbucks doesn't count as coffee ;) find a good quality, local coffee shop that roasts beans locally/knows where their beans are roasted and start investigating coffee. It's actually a wonderfully complex subject!

• Like 1

- Marcus Aurelius

Mmmm, it's good to hear that there is a whole world of delicious drinks past those I'm trying to give up. I will have to investigate local coffee shops. I know there is one on Main Street in town I've been meaning to stop by for a while and never seem to find the time. 

I think that should be a great adventure, find new things to try and see what you like =)  Such a great excuse to get out there and just enjoy things.  Especially if it is something you seem to be putting off, like trying the shop on Main Street.  You could make it like a date thing with the hubby!

How are your goals coming along at the end of week 1?

• Like 1

After college I had really reduced my soda consumption to maybe 3-4 times a year, usually when I was on a road trip so I didn't consider it a problem. Since August I've been living in an apartment near Detroit, MI while my husband stayed in Ohio and finished working (his employer went out of business) then finished getting the house ready to put up for sale (this is a complicated story) after he became unemployed...so I drive 4 hours back to the Youngstown, OH area every weekend and the temptation to grab a soda on the drive back hit. So after the new year I just decided I was going to give it up before the habit could kick back in. Within the next couple of months I shouldn't have to face the temptation anymore once my husband and I cohabitate again. :)

And delicious, sugary coffees are my nemesis now. It's tempting, especially on Mondays, to stop by Starbucks and grab one. I know I can drink black coffee...blah blah blah...but it doesn't taste good to me so best to just start cutting it out and pretend I like tea. ;) I really do enjoy tea with honey but not as much as those high-calorie coffees. And as far as my sugary drink goal is going this challenge: it's good. I am finishing up the lemonade and sweetened tea I already had in my fridge because I hate wasting.  

Oh, I know that story.  Hubby and I have been trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to find two jobs in the same city for the past 10 years.  I wish you the best of good fortune in getting back to living under the same roof again!!!

Love the idea of turning the QUEST FOR GOOD COFFEE (and tea ....) into a really fun quest!!!  You could report on what you find and take pics and end up with your own TV show!!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Coffee itself is actually quite good for you.

START THE SCIENCE:

Coffee is a complex mixture of chemicals that provides significant amounts of chlorogenic acid and caffeine. Unfiltered coffee is a significant source of cafestol and kahweol, which are diterpenes that have been implicated in the cholesterol-raising effects of coffee. The results of epidemiological research suggest that coffee consumption may help prevent several chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes mellitus, Parkinson's disease and liver disease (cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma). Most prospective cohort studies have not found coffee consumption to be associated with significantly increased cardiovascular disease risk. However, coffee consumption is associated with increases in several cardiovascular disease risk factors, including blood pressure and plasma homocysteine. At present, there is little evidence that coffee consumption increases the risk of cancer. For adults consuming moderate amounts of coffee (3-4 cups/d providing 300-400 mg/d of caffeine), there is little evidence of health risks and some evidence of health benefits. However, some groups, including people with hypertension, children, adolescents, and the elderly, may be more vulnerable to the adverse effects of caffeine. In addition, currently available evidence suggests that it may be prudent for pregnant women to limit coffee consumption to 3 cups/d providing no more than 300 mg/d of caffeine to exclude any increased probability of spontaneous abortion or impaired fetal growth.

Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(2):101-23.

Coffee and health: a review of recent human research.

Higdon JV1, Frei B.

So yeah, get on that caffeine wagon! Maybe even start a review of all the local 'real' coffee places in your area. A good excuse for a walk if ever I heard one!

• Like 1

- Marcus Aurelius

True story: good-quality black coffee is amaaaaaazing once you get used to all the different flavors. I like to compare it to tasting wine; you get all sorts of effects from the beans, the roast, the ground it came from, etc. etc. etc.

Basically it's super tasty. Go exploring. I used to do single-sentence reviews/descriptions of every coffee I tasted - it makes you pay attention to what you're drinking, and you learn what you like! :)

• Like 2

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Week 1 ended a little rough for me. I got in all my workouts (yay!) but the processed food/Paleo goal didn't happen Friday-Sunday. By the time I got to Ohio Friday night I went to bed, then Saturday was spent running errands (with the stepdaughter and her friend in tow) and putting in a new light fixture, new flooring, and new baseboards in our master bath. Food was quick stuff from Taco Bell. Sunday was also spent running around - we went to visit my husband's grandma in her new place with my stepdaughter then had to run her back to her mother's place. Then I had to finish laundry and get back on the road to Detroit. Lunch/dinner was Subway. I didn't drink anything sugary though so I didn't miss that goal! And I definitely got 8 hours sleep per night so I guess the food was my only struggle. After typing all of this out I really didn't do as bad as I thought! I met 3 of my 4 goals and I will do better this week. This weekend should be more controlled. My brother in law is going to help put in the toilet and vanity in the bathroom so it should be done by the time I get home Friday evening and we don't have any kids over this weekend so I can focus on healthy food I know people won't complain about. 

Maybe we'll have time this weekend to walk to Main Street and try the coffee place! I can't wait to relax a little. We're listing the house next Monday...

• Like 2

Looks like you did pretty well! Beware your perceptions, though. Oftentimes we're doing way better than we think we are. Accountability is key!

Hope you get some more time to chill :D

- Marcus Aurelius

Eating on the road is really tough!  You made BETTER choices than you might have otherwise, which is a huge win.  My other approach when I traveled for work was to go to grocery stores and get precut and precooked items .... raw fruit and veggies and chicken or  cheeses.  

Good luck on selling the house!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Been a little MIA since after Thursday. I drove home to Ohio on Friday and a trip that normally takes 3.5 hours took 5.5 because I hit a band of snow that slowed traffic on the turnpike to 25 MPH. Then all weekend we did house projects while at the same time I developed a stuffy head and sore throat. Yay sickness...so now I'm just trying to stay warm and get enough sleep. I hope I beat this soon!

Been a little MIA since after Thursday. I drove home to Ohio on Friday and a trip that normally takes 3.5 hours took 5.5 because I hit a band of snow that slowed traffic on the turnpike to 25 MPH. Then all weekend we did house projects while at the same time I developed a stuffy head and sore throat. Yay sickness...so now I'm just trying to stay warm and get enough sleep. I hope I beat this soon!

howareyoudoing

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Update!

After I recovered from my sickness last week I went home to Ohio and we had two showings of our house. I knew it would be a lot of work to keep things clean for showings, but it was exhausting. Saturday's showing didn't go anywhere but the guy who saw the house Sunday really liked it and came again later that evening with his family. Then Monday my husband had hernia surgery (he's doing really well now) and Tuesday we got an offer on the house. After some negotiation we accepted an offer. So we sold our house! Now I'm back in Michigan, and my husband is with me while he recovers, and things seem surreal. So now I'm trying to plan oh how we're going to pack up the house and get out in the next 45 days seeing as my husband won't be cleared to lift anything for 8 weeks. I'm joking with him that he picked a very convenient time to have a hernia. 

As far as how this all has affected my health: I haven't exercised regularly or eaten strictly for two weeks. However, I haven't had any soda or artificially sweetened beverages and sleep has generally been good, except for Tuesday night when I got about 5 hours...

Next week for the new challenge I'm going to set some very realistic goals around how crazy life is going to be during this selling/moving transition period so I will have an easier time meeting them than I had with this challenge. 

• Like 1

Thanks! Things are really seeming to fall into place and it's so nice to have an end date in sight so life can get back to normal. 

Good idea! I'm trying to think of the best way to combine moving and challenge goals. I think for diet goals I'm going to set a water goal and to track my food/movements with Myfitnesspal and my Fitbit every day. I'm hoping this will keep me conscious of what I'm eating without constricting me too much so I get frustrated and give up on March's challenge. For exercise I'm considering the NF bodyweight workout at home 2x/week. That should be easy enough for me to do while in the apartment since there isn't as much for me to do except keep it clean and organize it a little more in preparation for Dan coming up to live with me. And then for my Level Up goal...that's going to be something to do with packing/organizing/cleaning something. Not sure what wording I'll use yet.

What do you think?

• Like 2