Reel recovery with the Rangers

Greetings fellow rangers I see that your hearth is warm and your friendship appears to be fast. I am the Reel Godfather and in search of a new challenge HQ. I spent some time with the adventurers but moved on as that description no longer fit tried a turn with the warriors but alas that did not fit either. As the title states this challenge will be focused on recovery, recovery from rotator cuff surgery on January 28.

Goals for this challenge:

Maintain present weight at 221.

Complete first month of therapy.

Wear my CPAP every day for at least four hours.

Implement new budget get debt control plan.

Methodology:

Primal with one planned reasonable cheat meal per week.  Walk for 30 minutes six times a week. Mall walk with my friend twice a week.

Attend physical therapy twice a week complete exercises twice a day.

Suck it up or blow it out as the case may be and wear CPAP every day.

As I can’t write well at least very well with my left hand since my right hand is immobilized scheduling a budget/bill review session weekly with my wife and keep quicken and mail updated.

Updating:

Daily post and update challenges.

Well that about does it nothing too exciting just trying to get back to where I want to be.

• Like 1

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

Dang stumbling on updating daily will fix that moving forward. Not being able to type may have something to do no excuse.

Ate well Tuesday good calorie deficit and macros trying to get extra water to help flush out the inflammation scale almost back to where I was in surgery date.

First PT session Monday went okay ran into a couple issues with take-home exercises. Calling the therapist to get that straightened out. I see the orthopedist on Wednesday.

No CPAP just yet still struggling to sleep with the shoulder rig. Going to try again tonight hope springs eternal.

Slowly working through bill stack going to attack it with my wife tomorrow morning.

A good walk this morning and did a set of bodyweight squats balance still off his damn shoulder rig. Looking forward to seeing the orthopedist today. Have remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

The Reel Godfather, level 5 Ranger STR 10|DEX 7|STA 12|CON 12|WIS 8|CHA 6 My Respawn story

You can update as often or as little as you'd like, the point is that you don't give up, Life happens and oftentimes we can't update as much as we'd like to, but so long as you're still with us, we're still with you.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

You can update as often or as little as you'd like, the point is that you don't give up, Life happens and oftentimes we can't update as much as we'd like to, but so long as you're still with us, we're still with you.

Thanks Red, the new/temp normal of being a 1 armed man is a hassle.

Ate clean, good deficit, protein macro was a bit low but otherwise good.

Talked to my therapist about the one exercise that was causing issues and he said skip for now, saw the orthopedist, got my stitches out and xrays to check the screws, all good.  Only one PT exercise session, PT with the therapist tomorrow to test the updated exercises.  Also got my sling pad removed which made sleeping better and allowed limited typing now, woo hoo!

New sleeping setup again due to the changed sling so no CPAP again, filled with water and ready to go tonight, slept better with the smaller sling.

Mail and bills sorted, paid a couple med bills, should hit out of pocket max for the second year in a row with the shoulder so kinda woo hoo.

Nice weather is gone again but it was nice to get outside for a bit, mall walk on tap for tonight and PT today.  Its a marathon, not a sprint, Ortho said slow to no noticable progress for 6 weeks then a nice bump all of a sudden then another 6 weeks til feeling kinda normal then we can judge how long till strength returns fully......

No problem! After all, when it comes to life-changing events, no one suspects the One-Armed Man.

960.jpg

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Consecutive day updates, on a roll!

Ate well, clean, good deficit, protein macro a tad low, kinda thought I had more, guess that is why ya track those things!

PT with the therapist and at home, first 2 day, woot and yikes, felt it in the good and bad ways.

At least tried the CPAP but had trouble settling and woke up at midnight, hand cramped, hose dug into shoulder, threw it off and slept solid til 5 AM alarm. Wife said I did not snore at all and was on my back all night, so that is good too, another 20 pounds and I may be able to ditch this contraption.

Budget work and catch up coming along, being able to write a little helps, I can do lots of things well left handed, write is not one of them, not that my right hand penmanship is all that hot but I can read it!

Had a nice walk at the mall with my buddy, hit 10K steps, first since surgery last week. Really missing Taekwondo the last 2 days, my son is testing for Temp Black Belt in a week and helping is good, but a little jealous I am not prepping myself.  Its been fun the last month to just watch him practice since I am usually right there with him but feeling the itch.

TRG! I remember you from the November challenge in the Adventurers. Happy to see you in the Ranger's guild hall. I joined up with these wonderful people last challenge with the redefinition of the adventurers.

You have come a long way since your respawn! You're doing awesome and I am happy for you. I am glad my health meter never hit "red" like yours, but I too was below half health and am working on the slow heals. I've dropped from 280 lbs this time last year to 236 lbs right now. My weight-loss plateaued along with my effort for a hot second, but reading stories like yours inspire me to continually be a better version of myself. Thanks for sharing your story, struggles, challenges, and how you have overcome them by being a badass!

Keep up the good work & this challenge is going to go awesomely for you. I hope your recovery keeps coming along nicely.

I'll be here following along :)

• Like 1

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

TRG! I remember you from the November challenge in the Adventurers. Happy to see you in the Ranger's guild hall. I joined up with these wonderful people last challenge with the redefinition of the adventurers.

You have come a long way since your respawn! You're doing awesome and I am happy for you. I am glad my health meter never hit "red" like yours, but I too was below half health and am working on the slow heals. I've dropped from 280 lbs this time last year to 236 lbs right now. My weight-loss plateaued along with my effort for a hot second, but reading stories like yours inspire me to continually be a better version of myself. Thanks for sharing your story, struggles, challenges, and how you have overcome them by being a badass!

Keep up the good work & this challenge is going to go awesomely for you. I hope your recovery keeps coming along nicely.

I'll be here following along :)

Archon, nice to see some fellow former adventurers here, that plus the great crew the rangers, think I found my new home.  I tried a different guild last challenge and just did not feel it so here I am!  The shoulder thing really had me bummed, I miss my stack of iron, but its not going anywhere and I will be back at it soon enough and until then, the old legs work fine so rocking out walking and body weight squats, plus my PT.  Diet, diet, diet is what is doing it for me, the other things help but tracking and eating primal have been the big keys to my success.  Right back at you on the inspiration theme, so lift something heavy for me and do some yoga!  Thanks for checking in!

Ugh, updating is not my strong suit this challenge.  Had a great weekend, kinda took it easy, had a nice dinner with friends and saw Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it was amusing, also went to a Sushi/Burger place and it was great, worth the cheat meal!

Anyway on with the challenges

Ate well (besides cheat meal) and even dipped the scale another point, swelling in shoulder and arm coming down which helped. Had a 10K step day on Sunday but dogged it on Fri/Sat, I was tired.

Hit my PT twice a day, woo hoo and ouch!

Argh, dang CPAP is vexing me, having enough trouble sleeping with the shoulder and adding that to the mix is brutal, working on it, sleep getting better with the shoulder but still a pain, pun intended.

Is spending money like a drunken sailor helping the finance budget goal, hmmmmm, not really.  Anyway, progress continues never the less.  Prepping taxes has kinda joined the budget/finance challenge.

Underestimated how much this damn shoulder thing would wear me the hell out!  Trying to be patient and stay within myself but goes against my all go no stop nature. 

Exhausted today, not sure why, had a kinda lazy weekend....

Ate well, maybe not quite enough, macros were good, walked on the treadmill and did 3 sets of bodyweight squats, first time I got in 3 sets since surgery, yeah!

Both PT sessions done, could not finish the arm swings, got super tight so stopped.

Dozed off on the couch and when I zombied into bed, forgot something, got 7 hours of sleep and only got up once due to shoulder needing to move a bit.

Went thru a stack of bills and prepped some more tax stuff.

PT with the therapist tomorrow, woo hoo!  Slow but sure, gonna get here.

How was PPZ? I'm curious.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

How was PPZ? I'm curious.

I enjoyed it, was not my first choice but was not opposed to seeing it either.  I did not read the book and only have passing knowledge of P&P going in.  I found it amusing, it was not high art and I did not know exactly what to expect.  There was plenty of time piece interplay and zombie fighting.  Not really a spoiler....my favorite part was when the sisters were sparring while they had dialog with one another that was likely held over tea or getting ready to go to a ball or something, still makes me smile thinking about that scene.  My wife (full disclouse, she has an English Degree) really liked it and my friends fiancee liked it as well but he HATED it, could not really get to the core of what he was expecting.

Wednesday update -

Ate well, good deficit and macros, not quite enough water but still well within margins.  Took a shorter treadmill walk than usual but did it without my sling to try it out and see if I could loosen up my good shoulder, moderate success.

Got in both at home PT sessions and ordered pulley system to add to PT based on my therapist suggestion, making improvements in range of motion, still a LONG way to go, but progress is the key.

Had a lot of trouble sleeping, could not keep the shoulder happy, ditched the CPAP as it kept getting tangled in the sling.

No finance work today, all too busy, cleaned my office and desk some, continued some filing and organization.

Slow and steady, slow and steady, its coming, struggling with being patient, not my strongest suit.   

Mornin here is the Thursday update

Clean eating, could have used a little more water but I hit the baseline goal.  Walked for 20 minutes on the treadmill without my sling and not too much shoulder pain.  Mall walk with my buddy earned me a 11k step day!

PT with the therapist today, told me I could add at home pulley exercises and the stretching strap.  Said most of my ROM was good but wanted me to get a half foam roll and work on my chest tightness, done and done!

Forgot distilled water for the CPAP so it dried out and complained me over night, but made the effort, its coming....

Worked on my envelop system from the Total Money Makeover, went thru medical bills, jeez, if they sent half as much paper those savings along would solve the healthcare cost issue, well maybe not but damn.

2 weeks since rotator cuff surgery, making progress, working on being patient, deliberate in my therapy, and embrace process.

Weekend update -

Friday was good, hit a new all time low on the scale (219), Saturday was planned cheat meal, Sunday, a little off course, trapped in the house most of the day due to weather, was restless/bored, can't wait to really use my right arm again.  Hit the treadmill both Friday and Sat, nice walk at the mall on Sunday with my buddy.

Did my PT twice every day, added pulley exercises on Sunday and the stretching strap on Friday and Sunday.

Watered the CPAP but did not sleep much last night so it was a push.

Worked in quicken and budget this weekend.

My little guy took his first of 3 tests for Black Belt on Saturday (I was approved to test until the rotator cuff tear, rats!).  He did great, made his multiple break and his power/concrete break with his kick.  Missed his speed kick and hand concrete break but did great never less.  None of the 11 testers passed everything, which is somewhat by design, as its as much a test of character and resolve as it is of ability.  Holding out hope I can test in October, gotta stay on the PT and be patient and smart!

• Like 1

That's great that the little guy took his test! I know those can be intimidating, despite not taking one myself. 

Keep working that rotator cuff and you'll be facing the test yourself soon!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Week 3 already, where does the time go?

Back on clean eating after a little over treat eating over the weekend.  Only low point is water, just too cold to drink as much as I want.  Only got 20 minutes on the treadmill before my good shoulder started to cramp.  Did 3 sets of body weight squats.

Hit PT twice as prescribed.

Watered and wore CPAP, shoulder kept cramping so it was off and on, finally abandoned around 3 AM and took some Advil.  Think my sling was too loose and the shoulder got jacked around some.

Down the rabbit hole that is quicken, did some filing.

• Like 1

Tuesday update -

Ate clean just a bit much today, missed the calorie deficit but macros and water good and it was a small miss.  Only walked on the treadmill for 21 minutes as my shoulder started cramping around the 15 minute mark and could not go on.

PT with the therapist good but wow I was sore after, did a couple new exercises and range of motion seemed a bit better on the pulleys.  Only did the session with the therapist as I was too sore later in the day, so iced and took some advil.

Gave the CPAP a go, kinds short lived, got tangled in my sling and solid sleep was tough due to shoulder pain.

Finished quicken update, shifted some funds around, tomorrow go thru all the non-essential bill stuff.

Good PT day, slow going but think I saw a bit of progress, ROM measurements on Friday, hoping to make progress.

• Like 1

Wednesday update -

Good eating day, thought about being bad but drank some water, had a spoonful of almond butter and it was all good.  Good macros, great water and maintained a deficit.  Got 30 minutes on the treadmill without the sling, shoulder cramped but worked thru it.  Scale rewarded my discipline with another pound today.

Did both sessions of PT with updated exercises.

Got a couple of hours with the CPAP, but shoulder was hurting and hose kept catching on the sling which was not helping.  Got some, that is progress, gotta get more.

Paid bills and tried to improve quicken organization, argh miles to go.

Stupid tired today, not sure if shoulder, lack of sleep or weather is dragging me down but focus and progress were slow today.  Nice weather the next couple days, hope for good sleep and fresh air!

• Like 1

Thursday update -

Ate great and clean, good macros, good deficit and great on water and the scale rewarded me again!  30 minutes on the treadmill and a good mall walk with my buddy, 10k step day.

Hit both PT sessions but did not do cable pulls as my shoulder was pretty sore.  Working on trap cramping during walks, making progress.

Fired up the CPAP, lasted a few hours but better than nothing.

No progress on finance level up today.

Bounced back energy wise today, not 100% but much better than yesterday.  3 weeks since surgery, progress is slow.

• Like 1

Weekend update -

Ate well on Friday and had a little sushi on Saturday and a planned treat meal at the Boy Scout pancake breakfast on Sunday.  Moved the scale down to 216.2, lowest since college and bought size 38 pants that actually fit!  Got out Saturday and walked the park and got some playground play in with the little guy.  Sunday had a mall walk, it was warm but raining so no park walk for me and my buddy.  Derailed Sunday, more at the bottom.

Hardcore PT session on Friday with the therapist and got both sessions in on Saturday and one on Sunday.

CPAPed it Friday and Saturday, short but building back up slowly.

Had big plans to work on the books on Sunday but derailed.

As we were easing into a nice quiet Sunday, my mom called, her blood sugar was high, her back hurt and she had not slept, she sounded really bad and scared so we dropped everything and took her to the ER.  4ish hours later, she got a clean for her age bill of health and was released, her back/hip issue was a muscle pull or related to hip muscle/bones.  They gave her pain meds and muscle relaxers and said someone needed to stay with her for at least a day until she could see her regular MD and get into see an ortho.  So we took her home, got her meds, fed her and got her down.  My brother stayed with her while we ran home to get some clothes and stuff so we could stay the night.  I was hussling out of the house with some clothes and pillows and slipped on the last 2 stairs and came down hard on my right elbow jamming my recently surgically repaired shoulder, not to mention my hip and rest of me.  I sat here in pretty solid 1-10 pain at an 11 hoping I did not retear my rotator cuff or knock out any anchors or anything else.  My sling kept my arm tight to my body and it did not come away from my body or over my head but jammed pretty good.  Hurts some this morning so trying to wait and see if I can do my PT tonight or if I screwed it again or differently.  Slept poorly on the old bed at my moms and was up checking on her too.  Not to mention we got a pizza for dinner at her place and just ate as we had not all day, had a salad and some wings but not the best eating choices.  Really scared I screwed up my shoulder but trying to relax about it, test it later, sleep in my bed tonight (hopefully) and go see the therapist tomorrow and its not too bad, oh well time will tell.  My spill could have been worse but not really how I planned out my Sunday. 

• Like 1

Monday update -

Ate pretty well considering the chaos of the day and weekend.  Did not walk since spent the night at moms and by the time I got home, had plenty of work to do.  Not enough water but did ok.

Skipped most of the PT trying to recover from my Sunday fall.  Did a little before bed just to move it, tight but not awful, will see what the PT says in the morning...

No CPAP, did sleep well but was concerned with shoulder after fall on Sunday.

Got quicken updated, bills written out and went over evolving budget.  Also paid off my wife's car, so a big WOO HOO there.

Shoulder was tight and achey but not awful after the fall, hoping for the best at PT tomorrow.  Slept well that was nice too, after the fall and lousy spare bed at moms.  She is ok this morning and have her scheduled to see the Ortho on Tuesday after my PT.  All things considered it could have been much worse.  Keep moving forward....

• Like 1

Tuesday update -

Back on track from the chaotic last couple days with my mom.  Good macros and water, calories were a little high as my activity was a bit low.  Slept in and then went to early PT.  Talked to my PT about my fall on Sunday and he assessed me and said he thinks I just jarred it and will be ok but may take a few days for everything to calm down.  We did a lite Day 1 session and he stretched me.  Pain and stiffness back and a few new pains but nothing bad so he told me to just rest and ice the rest of they day and maybe try a very light session on Wednesday and back on Thursday with my other PT to reassess.

PT with the therapist, only that session as directed.

Slept ok shoulder a little more bothersome than before so I punted the CPAP.

No progress, busy day.

Got to my PT session and mom to the ortho and endocrinologist.  Finally got home and got to work.  Then took the little guy to his first Cub Scout meeting, gonna try out a couple packs but the one we tried last night had a friend we did not know did scouting so that is a plus.  A little more laid back than I remember but the little guy is excited and so am I!

Wednesday update -

Good clean eating day, got plenty of water and nearly great macros.  Hit the treadmill for 30 minutes in the morning and a 10 minute after work session.  Finally a quiet normal day.

One PT session, really tight, pain better but not to where it was before the fall. 

No CPAP, this is a failed item, gonna try again tonight.

Worked on budget and updated quicken.  Trying to get it cleaned up but may find a good end point and restart when I upgrade.

Nice back to normal day, finally after a string of crazy.

Thursday update -

Ate well, needed more protein, had good calorie deficit.  25 minute treadmill walk plus mall walk with my buddy, 12k step day.

PT with the therapist today, it was brutal, he doe not think I re-injured my shoulder in my Sunday fall, said maybe a week or 2 setup back.  When he stretched me it was brutal.  No second session just iced and took lots of Advil.

CPAP, yeah about that.

Budget almost to bed, there is a light beyond the light of the oncoming train at the end of the tunnel but its a ways off.

Work has really picked up this week, between not sleeping great and shoulder pain/hassle, worn out before the day is done.  Still moving forward.  Little guy started Ice Skating lessons tonight, fell a lot but had great fun, did pretty well for his second time on skates too.  We were early since my wife/ride had a meeting so we got to watch the figure skaters practice and he got a kick out of that and said we should tell them about Taekwondo as they could kick really high!