Firedance takes on the rapids

Firedance

Metaphorical rapids of life I mean.  Winter in Boston is fickle and confusing (it was 60º F today...) and even with this relatively mild winter I found that being overly specific about what training when was stressful.  Since that's a surefire way to make me avoid things, I'm not toruring myself.  If it's snowing, I can do body-weight and yoga in my apartment.  If it's not I can run and use barbells.  And if my least favorite teacher is the zumba sub I can not go to that class. So there haha.

1. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week

2. Strength train 2x week.  Must do at least 3 different exercises for three sets to count.

3. Learn to squat and press with a barbell.  This one makes me very nervous, but I've been wanting to try for a while.  I just bought starting strength, so I'm going to try to start teaching myself and if that doesn't work out I'll fork over money to a trainer.

4. Accounting! My month theme is money, and I'm going to start logging my jewelry making hobby as if it was a business.  It's going to be a terrible business, because I don't sell anything. But I want to learn about accounting, and doing helps.  I have been taking online courses in accounting fundamentals, so I want to try applying some of the concepts to my life.

Anyways between dodging life's river blocking boulders and doing things that scare me, this should be an interesting challenge.

• Like 1

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Current Challenge: Firedance Befriends a Dragon | Epic Quest

Looks like a great challenge plan. Kudos for taking the plunge and learning to squat and press. I lot of folks I know have been really successful using starting strength.

I really like your plan to apply your accounting studies to your jewelry making business. Though it may not be a "real" business, yet, who knows? And you'll definitely be more engaged in the learning. What kind of things do you make?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Good luck!! I like your goals, they all seem specific enough to motivate you but not strict enough to get boring. Do you have any diet habits you follow? What kind of jewelry do you make?

I don't follow a specific diet, but I am trying to eat a serving of veggies at two meals a day. I have an app called Balance that I use to remind me of that, so it seemed silly to duplicate it here. The minute I start trying to restrict food I start eating more of them, so I take the opposite approach. I'm learning to silversmith, and I'm in love with it. It's frustrating and wonderful. 

Looks like a great challenge plan. Kudos for taking the plunge and learning to squat and press. I lot of folks I know have been really successful using starting strength.

I really like your plan to apply your accounting studies to your jewelry making business. Though it may not be a "real" business, yet, who knows? And you'll definitely be more engaged in the learning. What kind of things do you make?

Strength training is much more fun than I'd ever have expected, so I'm  pretty excited to try more of it. My plan is to hog the squat rack this weekend when less people are there and was practicing with a broom at home.

Yeah, it's not "real" mostly as a mental trick so that I don't have panic attacks about it. I'm easing my way into the idea that I could do it if I decide I actually want to, and it's not like the skills will be wasted!

1. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week: 1/8

2. Strength train 2x week: 1/8  I deadlifted 65 lbs last night for the first time :)

3. Learn to squat and press with a barbell. 0/1

4. Practice accounting (30 mins a week): 0/4

• Like 2

Level 8 Princess Ranger

I don't follow a specific diet, but I am trying to eat a serving of veggies at two meals a day.

Hah, I'm doing pretty much the same thing this challenge :D

Congrats on that deadlift!! I want to try that some time (as in, years from now when I actually have some experience and enough confidence and money to go to a gym)

• Like 1

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm mentally dancing around in excitement because I did so much new stuff today and yet got lots of down time! I did presses for the first time, using what I think are curling barbells? Anyways they are much lighter and I went to 30 lbs. Then I deadlifted 75 lbs! And squated with a 16 lb kettelbell. This made me feel much better about not falling down and looking like an idiot when I squat with a barbell for the first time. 

Then I practiced accounting and set up a spreadsheet for practicing double entry bookkeeping. If I ever start a real business, I'll use software to deal with all the complicated stuff and do math for me. But I want to learn the complicated stuff, so I need to start by hand. Next time I'm going to make up a bunch of imaginary transactions and practice figure out what accounts the effect and how to post them and stuff.

Plus I also watched lots of Fringe and cross stitched.

1. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week: 1/8
2. Strength train 2x week: 2/8
3. Learn to squat and press with a barbell. 1/2
4. Practice accounting (30 mins a week): 1/4
  • Like 2

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Great progress with the barbells!  If you can squat the clumsy kettlebell, I am sure that the bar is no problem.

I am impressed with the accounting progress.  I took one semester, and the less said about my class experience the better.  I am glad that you are picking it up and even playing with it!  

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Wow, you've been busy!! Impressive work there :) One more Dance/Yoga/Run sessions tomorrow and you're in for a perfect week. Awesome!!

Thank you! I'm trying hard to meet them all :)

Good on you for starting a strength program.  I found that using the power rack for the first couple of weeks gave me the confidence to squat and bench press, since I knew I'd be safe if I failed (devastated ego aside).

That is a good idea, since falling down is exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't have a gym partner, and am totally chicken about asking a stranger to spot (who may or may not know how anyways). I will have to figure out how to implement that. 

Great progress with the barbells!  If you can squat the clumsy kettlebell, I am sure that the bar is no problem.

I am impressed with the accounting progress.  I took one semester, and the less said about my class experience the better.  I am glad that you are picking it up and even playing with it!  

Haha I finally did the math on kg/lb conversion and felt a lot better when I realized it was 35 lbs! I've never been a math person, and am incapable of doing mental math.  But I'm liking the theory of accounting, and gaining an understanding something complicated is always a thrill for me.  I live to learn new things. I think if I was being forced to learn it or tried to in high school, I'd hate it. I'd get terrible grades and it would have sucked. But because I'm learning in a context of skill building and can take my time, I like it.

I did get my yoga in on Sunday before the Super bowl, but then never posted it. Zumba and lifting tonight, maybe in a power rack if I can find an open one!

1. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week: 2/8
2. Strength train 2x week: 2/8
  • Like 1

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Well since I did pretty well on the 35 lb kettle bell squats I did a test set with the barbell, which was a fail.  I didn't drop it (thank god) but I also did not manage a full squat. Serendipitously, about ten minutes later the personal trainer a worked with when I joined the gym stop to say hi and I asked for a lesson. I think the expense will be worth it, especially because bad form causes injuries and those are expensive. 

In happier news, I totally bench pressed the bar. I dumbell pressed 22.50 and this convinced me I could do it so I tried. So I'll have to build up to doing sets of that as my base, which will be nice.  AND I did an 80 lb deadlift. 

. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week: 3/8
2. Strength train 2x week: 3/8
  • Like 3

Level 8 Princess Ranger

If you can bench press an empty bar, and you can deadlift 80 lbs., I am sure that the squat will be fine once you get the form dialed in.  My biggest problem was developing the proper shoulder flexibility (of all things!) so that I could hold the bar properly.  Sounds like you are confidently taking control of your fitness future.  Great work.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

If you can bench press an empty bar, and you can deadlift 80 lbs., I am sure that the squat will be fine once you get the form dialed in.  My biggest problem was developing the proper shoulder flexibility (of all things!) so that I could hold the bar properly.  Sounds like you are confidently taking control of your fitness future.  Great work.

Thanks Erick that means a lot. :)

Level 8 Princess Ranger

. Dance/Yoga/Run 2x week: 3/8

2. Strength train 2x week: 3/8

Great news on the Bench Press, and on keeping your goals rolling through the week!  Looks like Week 2 has treated your well, or maybe you've treated it well, but good work nonetheless!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Yay I did it!!! *insert bouncing around kinda happiness* I even was able to back squats with 45 lbs so I can use any bar. It was actually easier since I kept pitching forward a bit. He also went over accessory exercises. And he went over presses and checked my deadlift. So I feel much better overall. Reassurance that I'm not having horrific form is so great. I also did my half hour of accounting for the week. So even if my week is as crazy as I'm expecting that's done. Intimidatingly strong guys prepare to share the squat rack. (Wow that would be the most annoying work in situation haha. Let me just take those four huge plates off kthx)

Cardio: 4/8
Strength: 5/8
Learn squat and press: Done!
Accounting 3/4

• Like 2

Level 8 Princess Ranger

Good for you! You were smart to get your form checked. You are killing this challenge!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wonderful news that you've leveled up to Olympic bar territory!  Everything falls into line from there.  ;)

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Thanks guys! Zumba last night was much needed to loosen up and be happy, definitely a bit sore today though. Especially my upper arms and right outside my arm pits. This is probably from the presses and accessory exercises we also did, but I think it's funny since the main focus Monday was on squats. Staying tight during the squats probably did contribute.

Cardio: 5/8

Strength: 5/8

Learning: 2/2

Accounting: 3/4

Level 8 Princess Ranger