Niccolo - The Open Cometh

Niccolo

I stepped away from the strength training area, sparing a brief look back and the poor warriors who didn’t expect a ranger to come in and teach them a thing or two about lifting.  Serves them right. 

Wandering across the Sylvan academy, I took in the sights.  I loved how the forest was a part of the campus as much as the buildings were.  It made things feel like home.  Like the wild. 

As I came to the center house intending to speak with this new Headmaster, I saw a bulletin board covered in postings.  Right in the middle and far larger than the rest, a broadside was pasted across a third of the board.

RANGERS!

It is once again time!

Time to show your prowess!
Time to show your strength!

Time to show your agility!

Come one!  Come all!

Challenge yourself and your friends in the Open!

Event to begin on February 25th.  Details Below.

Below the fine print was a list of signups.  I saw names like Rurik and Dark Raider scrawled below.  Thinking back to the last times I had participated, I remembered the fun.  'Why not?', I thought as I quickly scrawled Niccolo in an open blank.

Time to get ready. 

Challenges

Power: Don’t skip leg day (ha!).  Don’t let squats slide off the map.  Make sure to perform squats on every scheduled workout day.  Due to time constraints, I have not been hitting my squat portion of my workout as I should.  Therefore, more squats, more strength. -1 each day missed.

Skill: Get butterfly pullups.  The Open is coming!  Love it and despair!  Work on the skill for 10 minutes, 3 days a week.  By the end of the month, hopefully have the skill down enough to use in the Open.  -1 each day missed.

Endurance:  The goal so great, it made a comeback.  Gotta make sure that I’m ready for the CrossFit Open, which means maintaining my metcons.  I will hit ever scheduled metcon, 3-5 days a week at minimum.  I will push them to the limit.  I will show them no mercy.  They will be mine.  -1 each day missed.

Lore hound: Read 5 hours a week.  I used to read a lot, but it has fallen by the wayside.  I want to start reading again, so I might as well make it a part of this challenge.  -1 each hour missed.

Oh and beyond these challenges, I just figured that I’d put my long-term goals as they stand right now on paper.  I’d like to hit these within the next 6 months, if not sooner. 

Snatch: 91 kg (200 lbs), current 85 kg (187 lbs)

Clean and Jerk: 115 kg (253 lbs), current 113 kg (250 lbs)  (Is it really this close?  I need to get out of my head more…)

Weightlifting Total (sum of Snatch and Clean & Jerk in one lifting session): 200 kg (441 lbs), current 190 kg (419 lbs).

• Like 2

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

Only hit endurance last night, with the following lovely workout:

12 minute AMRAP

20 cal row

15 kettlebell swings (53/35)

10 100' shuttle runs

Oof that was a slog.

• Like 1

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Cool challenge! Looking forward to hearing about the Open

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Cool challenge! Looking forward to hearing about the Open

Thanks Elastigirl!  :D  The first round of the Open starts the last week of this challenge, so I figure it will loom large in my next challenge.  This one will be for getting ready for it.  Tally ho!

So last night had both squats (3x3 at 120 kg) and a metcon (5 rounds for time: 15 wallballs, 10 burpees, 1 rope climb).  Two birds last night!  Both Power and Endurance! 

Then, my coach talked me into trying his new airdyne.  1 minute max calories.  I was able to get 41, and probably would have done better if I hadn't just slogged through a WOD 5 minutes before doing it.  The awesome thing was that I couldn't walk for 15 minutes afterward.  Literally.  I got off the airdyne, took three steps, felt my knees start to buckle, and promptly sat down.  There was no movement for quite a bit there.  lol!

February is all about Open prep in my stable too.  Looking forward to following your efforts as well, my friend!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

February is all about Open prep in my stable too.  Looking forward to following your efforts as well, my friend!

Let's get it!

Last night was squatting (2x2 @ 125 kg) and endurance (10 min on the Airdyne).  My legs are STILL fried from doing that 1 minute challenge earlier this week.  Ugh.  Gotta keep at it. 

• Like 1

10:00 on the AirDyne  No way, sir, no thank you.  F*ck that!

Did you see the video floating around of James Hobart and Rich Froning doing 12 cals on the AirDyne using only their arms?  00:44 for Hobat, 00:43 for Froning.  It was BEASTLY.

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Cripes!!! That's nuts! My coach's 1 minute challenge is max calories in 1 minute. I did it after a WOD, so I did not do well. I may try again when I'm fresh, but I don't know that I want to go through the pain again. Lol!! You should try it. ;)

My airdyne work last night was specifically "light". I followed that to the letter. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My airdyne work last night was specifically "light". I followed that to the letter. Lol!

That's the only manner of AirDyne programming that I find acceptable under most circumstances.  :P

• Like 1

Ok! Back on track after Chinese New Year with my in-laws on Monday.  Waaaay too much good food.  :D

Anyway...

Last night I had squats, which felt better than they had in weeks.  Woot.

Also, I had a nice, nasty WOD:

16 min AMRAP

200 m run

8 HSPU

10 dumbbell cleans (45 lbs)

2 rope climbs

I need to work on getting more time for butterflies.  Something hasn't clicked in my workouts.  I'll see about tonight...

So last night, I got some good work on butterflies.  Things are more complicated than I had thought, since I need to work on body angle, not strength or coordination.  Huh.

Also, I had a terrible little metcon:

5 round of airdyne

10 seconds max effort

10 seconds rest

20 seconds max effort

20 seconds rest

30 seconds max effort

30 seconds rest

Yeah, that was fun.  I think.  It may be Stockholm Syndrome.  Not sure...

Oh and hey!  The warriors have the next online weightlifting meet!  Time to defend my title! 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/78429-february-feats-for-ferrous-ferocity-2016/

Everyone should come and have fun!  This is great!

So, first the updates:

Power - squats have been happening, but I missed last night's because of reasons which I will explore below.

Skill - I've hit a couple, but still having problems working butterfly practice into my programming.

Endurance - every WOD has been hit. 

Lore Hound - I read this last weekend, and it was quite nice.  I had a lot of free time, so I hit up some books.

Now, onto other topics.  The reason my workout went badly last night (missing squats) was because I got news through the grapevine that my gym is going to have to shrink to half its current size due to financial problems/increased rent.  They are going back to the size it was before I started working out there.  The problem is that the gym is packed for about two hours while I work out there at night.  With the main CrossFit class, a kids class, bootcamp, the oly/competitor class, and powerlifters, pretty much everything is used.  Also, the area that will be preserved for the "class area" is the area currently used by the oly/competitors, and we currently fill it to overfull.  2/3 of the time when I get there, every platform is full.  I take forever warming up, so it isn't a problem with me.  However, when there are four groups vying for the same space and one of them that should be the smallest already fills it up, there's problems coming. 

I guess I'm bringing this up because I don't know what to do.  I'm going to talk to the owner tonight to see if everything I heard is true.  But I can't shake the feeling that my classes - my friends and I - will be the ones that take the hit in this gym re-org.  It feels kinda hopeless that I'm getting squeezed out of the gym that I've been a part of for the last 4 years.  I've started looking into other gyms, but I don't want to lose my coach and my friends. 

I don't know.  I needed to vent, but I've got a bit of the depression right now (and rightfully so).  Hopefully tonight's metcon will help ... at my disappearing gym.  That didn't help...   :neglected::hopelessness::grey::upset::dispirited:

• Like 1

Ok, so I talked to the owner of my gym and he assured me that things are not as set in stone as other people had made them out to be.  Still concerned about the future, but giving things the benefit of the doubt now.  I guess I'll see how things shake out over the next two months.

Squatted last night 5x3.

My metcon was:

12 minute AMRAP

5 clean and jerk @ 135 lbs

12 burpees

25 double unders

That was terrible.  LOL.

• Like 1

Ok, so I talked to the owner of my gym and he assured me that things are not as set in stone as other people had made them out to be.  Still concerned about the future, but giving things the benefit of the doubt now.  I guess I'll see how things shake out over the next two months.

Try to give it time to run its course before sweating the details too heavily.  I know that's easier said than done, but there's little enough sense is wracking your brain and stressing yourself out over factors beyond your control.  Enjoy your gym while you can, and detail with a decrease in size or members when and if you're forced to.

Sounds like you're still hitting the MetCons and Oly hard though.  Looking forward to sharing our thoughts when the Open starts!

• Like 1

Thanks, Rurik. :)

I tend to react badly when I first get news, but I do get over it relatively quickly (I like to think).

Nothing much to do but enjoy the Open and see how things shake out. :-D

• Like 1

Thanks, Rurik. :)

I tend to react badly when I first get news, but I do get over it relatively quickly (I like to think).

Nothing much to do but enjoy the Open and see how things shake out. :-D

Me too, buddy.  I'm terribly reactionary.  :P 

• Like 1

Last night was a light night.  Only 15 minutes moderate pace on the rower (3,600 meters for me). 

I talked to my coach about the ongoing gym stuff.  He said that our program is going to be cut when the gym shrinks, and that he will be going to a nearby gym as a weightlifting coach.  I was figuring that I'd end up at that gym anyway, so I get to keep my coach.  Nothing to do now but enjoy the last couple months at my current gym.  :)

Ok! Sorry for no updates, but, you know, weekend.

So, Thursday, I put my goals on hold for the NF Weightlifting Meet.  I got a decent score that I'm not sure if I'm going to try and beat yet.  I'll see how I feel tonight/tomorrow, since those are the only days that gives me enough time to rest before the Open this Friday.

Friday had squats (SQUATS!) and a MetCon that showed me that my thrusters suck.  Like terribad.  I'll have something to think about for the Open and see if I can fixer upper.  Here's the workout, in case you were wondering:

15-12-9

Thrusters (95/65)

Bar-facing burpees

C2B Pull ups

Box Jumps (24/20)

10 minute time cap.

Weekend I did some wandering, some hiking, and some reading.

• Like 1

Really want to see your Virtual Lifting scores, even though I know you'll blow me out of the water!  :P

I feel your thruster hate.  Everyone at the box wants me to retest 15.5 if it doesn't get repeated this year during the Open.  It took me over 21 minutes last year since I was only about a month into CrossFit at the time, and while I know there would be magnificent improvement, repeating that hellish workout still terrifies me.  Maybe in April....

• Like 1

Really want to see your Virtual Lifting scores, even though I know you'll blow me out of the water! :P

I feel your thruster hate. Everyone at the box wants me to retest 15.5 if it doesn't get repeated this year during the Open. It took me over 21 minutes last year since I was only about a month into CrossFit at the time, and while I know there would be magnificent improvement, repeating that hellish workout still terrifies me. Maybe in April....

Oh yeah on the thruster hate. The only workout that was worse than 15.5 was 14.5. That one was terrible:

21-18-15-12-9-6-3

Thrusters

Bar-facing Burpees

That was terrible.