tinkerer

EDIT: Here is my challenge plan.

tinkerer continues base building

Goal 1: Don't waste my week:

Do something active every day I'm traveling for work and

Post goals for the challenge

I'm writing this slightly after the fact but my goal was to actually use the running shoes I always bring traveling and to keep up my routine despite being in a hotel for most of a week.

Goal 2: Aerobic Training

Run or hike at a Zone 1 Pace for the following time each week:

Week 1: 2:20 or 3:15 - depending on sniffles*

Week 2: 3:15

Week 3: 4:10

Week 2: 2:05

Climb a steep hill for 45 or more minutes every week. (first week optional*)

This is the core of my training routine - lots of semi-easy running. The runs should be at 75% or less of my max HR and the hill climb should be at 80% or more of my max HR. The hill climb can be subbed out for a run as long as the HR range is correct.

*These are optional the first week because I've come down sick after traveling. If I feel better on the weekend then I need to do these but if not I need to rest and recover.

Goal 3: Strength Training

Do core and max strength routine twice per week (once 1st week)

This consists of once through a set of ten different core exercises and then 2-4 sets of: Pullups, Pistol Squats, Dips, and Shrimp Squats. Squats can be subbed out for hill sprints.

ORIGINAL POST HERE:

I'm traveling for work this week and don't have time to figure out all of the details, so here's what I have for now. I will update this with more details eventually.

Do something active (run or strength training) each day while traveling.

Get goals posted by the end of the week.

Generally I'll be continuing the same plan as last challenge but some of the goals might be modified for fun purposes.

Week 1 Day 1:

40 minute run in San Antonio. Fun! The river walk is cool.

• Like 4

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Looks great. Way to keep it up while traveling.

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Looks like a great place to run!

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Week 1 Day 3: Strength

The easy thing to do would have been to go for another run today. I have the routine down and it isn't intimidating. However, I wanted to make things a little harder so I woke up early and hit the hotel gym for some strength training. My routine didn't match anyone else but it was fun to try something new. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but I'm proud of myself for doing something abnormal in what always feels like a strange environment to me: an unfamiliar gym in a unfamiliar place.

Tomorrow I'll run again and hopefully catch up with some of you fine folks during the trip home.

• Like 2

tinkerer

The easy thing to do would have been to go for another run today. I have the routine down and it isn't intimidating. However, I wanted to make things a little harder so I woke up early and hit the hotel gym for some strength training. My routine didn't match anyone else but it was fun to try something new. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but I'm proud of myself for doing something abnormal in what always feels like a strange environment to me: an unfamiliar gym in a unfamiliar place.

Tomorrow I'll run again and hopefully catch up with some of you fine folks during the trip home.

For some reason the hotel gym always intimidates me. I always plan on going, but I chicken out or wake up too late or a couple times I chose a hotel that didn't have a gym. Kudos for going.

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

It is a big deal to try a new routine in an unfamiliar place :).

Have a good trip home!

I guess I better post some goals or I'm going to miss the goal to post goals! So here it is, tinkerer continues base building!

For the last two challenges, I've been following a set of workouts in Training for the New Alpinism, a book on training for mountaineering. My true "hobby" is to climb mountains but that takes a lot of time and preparation so the months between attempts I spend running, rock climbing, and having fun in other ways.

I decided to run with the Scouts again this challenge because most of my training is made up of running and hiking. I tried out the Adventurers for the last challenge but I don't think that guild got the memo that they had been unwittingly converted to a different type of adventurer by the powers that be.

I'm writing this slightly after the fact but my goal was to actually use the running shoes I always bring traveling and to keep up my routine despite being in a hotel for most of a week.

This is the core of my training routine - lots of semi-easy running. The runs should be at 75% or less of my max HR and the hill climb should be at 80% or more of my max HR. The hill climb can be subbed out for a run as long as the HR range is correct.

*These are optional the first week because I've come down sick after traveling. If I feel better on the weekend then I need to do these but if not I need to rest and recover.

This consists of once through a set of ten different core exercises and then 2-4 sets of: Pullups, Pistol Squats, Dips, and Shrimp Squats. Squats can be subbed out for hill sprints.

That's all for now. I may add a life goal at a later point.

• Like 3

tinkerer

Sounds like a good plan to just keep going even if you haven't written the goals down yet.

I think it worked out pretty well. I'm happy with the way I was able to get runs in on my travels.

Looks great. Way to keep it up while traveling.

Thanks!

tinkerer! Good to have you back in the land of Scouts!

Yay runners! I can't remember if I've mentioned it here or not but I'm planning to run a 12K on May 1st and have a goal of <1:12 to finish. Need to hang out here and gain inspiration.

Found you.

Need to narrow the river and add some rocks to make waves for kayaking.  Terrific view.

Haha...I was amazed at what they have done with the amount of river they had to work with in San Antonio.

For some reason the hotel gym always intimidates me. I always plan on going, but I chicken out or wake up too late or a couple times I chose a hotel that didn't have a gym. Kudos for going.

Thanks! I was at a conference which usually means later night and not such early mornings so I was happy with the way this turned out.

It is a big deal to try a new routine in an unfamiliar place :).

Have a good trip home!

Thanks! I made it home and am very happy to be here.

• Like 2

tinkerer

I guess I better post some goals or I'm going to miss the goal to post goals! So here it is, tinkerer continues base building!

For the last two challenges, I've been following a set of workouts in Training for the New Alpinism, a book on training for mountaineering. My true "hobby" is to climb mountains but that takes a lot of time and preparation so the months between attempts I spend running, rock climbing, and having fun in other ways.

I decided to run with the Scouts again this challenge because most of my training is made up of running and hiking. I tried out the Adventurers for the last challenge but I don't think that guild got the memo that they had been unwittingly converted to a different type of adventurer by the powers that be.

That's all for now. I may add a life goal at a later point.

I like the idea of Rebels and Adventures instead, but yeah it seems like a lot of people haven't embraced the new Adventurer spirit.

Looks like a great plan good luck!

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

I wish we could just move our Battle Log around to whatever Challenge Group so I didn't have to post in 2 places.

Do you do any rucking as part of your mountain climbing training?  I'm assuming you carry a pack on climbs.

My son, who is 18 and has endless energy, did strength training for legs this morning for over an hour, then topped it off with over an hour of hiking on hilly terrain w/ a weighted pack.  Oh to be young again.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I wish we could just move our Battle Log around to whatever Challenge Group so I didn't have to post in 2 places.

Do you do any rucking as part of your mountain climbing training?  I'm assuming you carry a pack on climbs.

Yeah, between battle logs, epic quests, challenges, and character sheets there are a lot of things to maintain. The challenges keep me accountable so that's where I spend my energy. I have my tracking spreadsheet to review if I want to see where I've been.

Lol, I do a fair bit of hiking with a weighted pack but I refuse to call it rucking. I just call it hiking. :) And yes, carrying a pack mountaineering is the normal thing to do. Not so much rock climbing where you'll be back to the ground quickly.

I like how specific your goals are – they seem well tailored to what you're trying to achieve in the long run. I hope you get through the sniffles quick!

I'm feeling better today but not 100%. Hopefully back to normal by tomorrow to launch into week 2.

tinkerer

I didn't know there was a term "rucking" till I got on here.  I'd agree, backpacking is more straightforward.

Lovin the consistency you show.

Current Challenge 

Week 1 Summary:

My week started out pretty well but being sick slowed me down the last few days. I think I'm pretty well recharged and ready to hit the ground (literally) running tomorrow morning.

Do something active every day I'm traveling for work and - Done!

Post goals for the challenge - Done!

Week 1: 2:20 or 3:15 - Done!

Climb a steep hill for 45 or more minutes every week. (first week optional*) - Not done this week but OK because it was optional.

Do core and max strength routine twice per week (once 1st week) Done! (Once 1st week) If I had points to award I'd get extra points for accomplishing this on the road. However, no points.

Next Week: Although I'll be home all week, it's going to be a crazy one. I have two all-day meetings for work, an evening meeting, and possibly a trip somewhere next weekend. However, I've got a schedule laid out that I think will work. I do need to run and so strength training tomorrow but I think that will work out OK.

• Like 2

tinkerer

The word simple word "done" is inspiring.  
All day meetings suck.  Of course, I think 1hr meetings suck.

Great job on exercising on the road.  Being on the road throws all routines in to a kilter and kills drive to exercise but you came out on top. Thats why I follow here. 

Current Challenge 

I've only ever heard "rucking" in relation to soldiers, being right next to a joint military base a lot of the races will have a troop of military guys run/walking with their giant camo packs on. Does not look fun!

Looks like a great first week, traveling and a cold and you still managed to knock it out of the park!

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Week 2 Day 2: Running and Strength

I'm still not at 100% so despite two workouts I tried to keep them a little on the easier side.

Running: Ran 2 miles in 30 minutes or so. My HR kept soaring anytime I increased my pace which I found very interesting from a physiological perspective (being sick shows up in the data!) and annoying from a training perspective. Regardless, I got 30 minutes of zone 1 running checked off of the list.

Strength: After work I went through the core strength routine and one set of max strength exercises (pullups, squats, dips). I was able to do 3 weighted pullups with 39 pounds strapped on my waist. I'm pretty excited about that. I do think that weighted pistols and shrimp squats are not a good thing long term for knees. I'll be looking to transition to hill sprints now that there is no more ice on the hill by my house. Perhaps making that a bonus quest would be a good idea.

"rucking"

"rucking"

"rucking"

I have a pretty simple system.

No Backpack - Walking (or running I guess)

With Backpack, no camping - Hiking

With Backpack and weight (other than gear) - Training Hiking

Backpack, camping - Backpacking

• Like 3

tinkerer