jstanlick Continuing the path back to fitness

jstanlick

I guess I'm used to having a week between challenges and am behind on setting this challenge up. So, let's get to it.

A cold derailed my last week of the last challenge, but I have found the path I plan on following back to fitness. Doing what I felt like doing helped me (re)discover what type of training fits me. That includes circuits with lots of volume for my lifts and sprint intervals. I like running, but for me its more of an enjoyment of being outside and communing with nature. Using it as a form of exercise doesn't work. I'll still go for some runs, but they are not going to count towards any kind of training.

GOAL #1 - Diet

Zero late night snacking. Last challenge I limited myself to 2 nights a week with eating after 9 PM. This challenge there will be no exceptions.

GOAL #2 - Diet

No soda at all. Lent starts during this challenge so I might as well start a little early with what I was planning on removing for Lent. Last challenge I allowed myself to have diet soda, but this time no soda at all.

GOAL#3 - Training

Following Back to Fit program that involves 4 days of weightlifting circuits, 2 days of sprint intervals and 1 rest day. I will maintain compliance with the program for the course of this challenge (and hopefully more challenges to come)

GOAL #4 - Level up

1 post a week in the blog. I respawned my blog last challenge. Now I need to get consistent with it. So, 1 new post each week.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Oh, and since it's already Tuesday, here's the update on the week so far:

Monday:

Lifting circuit was made up of incline presses, lateral raises, bent over rows, barbell curls, tricep extensions. 5 times through the circuit, 10 reps per exercise with a 2 minute rest between circuits. Weight was a little light. It wasn't hard enough to finish those reps on set 5, with the exception of the lateral raises. Gonna increase the weight the next time the circuit or exercises come up in the progression. No late night snacking because I fell asleep on the couch before thinking of food and no soda because I was too thirsty from the cold medications that all I wanted was water.

Today:

Weather today was crap which made sprinting outside difficult. Fortunately, I have a large basement. So, I did shuttle sprints across my basement for my sprint intervals. I'm kinda surprised at how well it worked. Why haven't I been doing this in bad weather more often?!? No matter, now I have a solution. Huzzah!

I've gotta get to writing if I want to finish a blog post a week. Haven't started that yet and its my son's birthday on Friday so I won't have time then either.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

We're 2 days into the challenge and no soda or late night snacking. Just gonna try to keep continuing and building off of that until its just habit and I don't have to think about it any more. If I can eat without thinking, I should be able to not eat without thinking, right?

Today was a leg day. Glad its over! So many squats. Back squats, sumo squats, narrow stance squats...whew! Why does leg day feel so much better when we're all done than right before we start? So glad to have these wobbly, jello legs right now. Ask me again on Saturday if I want to do legs again, though :D

Glad to see you're back! I looked for your challenge last time but couldn't find it. Were you in Rangers?

Anyway, this all looks great. I think it's a good thing that your first lifting day was a little light. It good to feel out a safe and reasonable weight. You'll get to the right difficulty pretty quickly.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Yep, I was in Rangers (as always) but I didn't do a great job of updating it. Maybe 7 posts for the whole month. So, it was buried a few pages back in the forum.

The lifting is kind of funny. I started this part way through last month's challenge while I was trying to fine tune my program. This week was actually the second week of the program. Last week the weights were too heavy during the first circuit. By the time I got to the 3rd circuit I was fighting to finish reps and had to start lowering the weight in between circuits. The result was some overload training and seriously sore muscles that were not ready for that kind of training yet. So, this week I started much lighter. But, I went a little too light. I'll get it dialed in, but I guess it might take a while. That's okay, I got time :)

• Like 1

Update is that there isn't much update. I got up in the morning to lift, but met my son in the hallway trying to get to the bathroom before puking on the carpeting. My wife and son were both sick yesterday, so I took the day off to play nurse and get the other kids to school. But, since they were both sleeping when it was time to get my youngest to school and the sun was out, we grabbed the dog and walked. The dog and I took a long route home and managed about 4 miles total. Not the same as an upper body circuit, but it wasn't sitting still at least.

On the diet side of things I've still managed no food after 9 PM and no soda. Although, yesterday was harder. It seems easier to avoid soda at work despite having a soda machine in the middle of the work cafe. Buying and pouring ginger ale for sick people had me standing in the soda aisle at the grocery store, and then for the rest of the day I had a craving. Mostly because I told myself I couldn't have any.

The blog post still is not written. Yesterday really threw off my plans for the week. Today is my son's (the sick one) birthday and I'm glad he's feeling better. But, my schedule had things moved around to make it my rest day rather than saying Happy Birthday and then heading out the door to run sprints.  So, I'm now winging the rest of this week. Hopefully I can get back to semblance of completing my original plan. Stay tuned!

Week 1 update:

Goal #1 - No late night snacking -- Nailed it! YAY!

Goal #2 - No soda -- missed-it-by-that-much-o.gif

Darn Super Bowl parties. I just wasn't thinking. I thought I'd try some of the Rhubarb punch they made that tasted excellent. But, one of the ingredients was ginger ale. In retrospect, that should have been pretty obvious, but I just wasn't thinking.

Goal #3 - Training - Complete! This one looked ugly going into the weekend. But, I managed to get in sprint intervals and an upper body workout on Saturday and a lower body workout yesterday before all the festivities.

Goal #4 - Blog post - Technically I missed it as I clicked the wrong date for the scheduled posting and it's posting today instead of yesterday. But, I'm going to call it a win in spirit.

Good job working the bus drop-off into a walk. I think anything you can do to be outside this time of year is good for the spirits. I would have had a hard time being around all that soda too! Glad your son is better and hope he has a great birthday.

Poor little guy. He was feeling better for his birthday, but the day before just wore him out. He just wanted to go to sleep instead of having any birthday cake on Friday. So, we saved it for the Super Bowl party when he was with other relatives.

• Like 1

Rhubarb punch was interesting. They canned it from rhubarb back in May. Then they mixed a jar of that with equal parts ginger ale. It did mess with my plans, but it tasted reaaaaaaaalllllllllly good.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Weekend was pretty brutal. I spent Friday night with my co-workers swapping out the SAN on our servers. On top of that I had a stomach flu while I did it. So, I missed my sprints and leg day on Friday and Saturday.

That said, from a workout standpoint, I'm working the program well. Sprints this morning, upper body yesterday and it felt good. The scale hasn't changed much, but I feel better and that's good enough for me!

I've avoided snacking and all the sodas with the exception of the ginger ale. So, those are going well. Not easy, but well.

• Like 1

Whew! Long weekend.

The kids were off of school on Friday and today, so I took the days off as well to spend some time with the family. Friday consisted of camping out with my son and 30 other cub scouts and parents on a WWII submarine. (If you're ever in Manitowoc, WI, make sure you check out the maritime museum and the USS Cobia -- its freaking cool) As cool as the sub is and as much as I recommend everyone do it at least once if they can, this was my second time sleeping overnight on the submarine and I can say without a doubt a WWII submarine was not built for someone who is 6' 2" 215 pounds. Very little sleep was had. But, I ran sprint intervals before we went.

Saturday was movies at home and sleeping. But, I did fit in my legs workout and after getting plenty of rest went running yesterday. It was supposed to be a rest day, but I felt like just jogging a few miles since it had been a while since I had done a pace run. And you know what? My pace was faster than I was managing in December and January before I started lifting and running sprints. Not as fast as August and September, but I'll take it. It was not as hard to keep my pace as it was becoming. Kind of makes the last 4 weeks feel like I made a good training decision and it is paying dividends even if the mirror and scale are trying to bring me down.

After that, the whole family went to see The Force Awakens again. We had passes and I wanted to see it again before it leaves theaters. And then my son designed and I cut out his pinewood derby car. But, before we did this year I found an excellent video on the physics of making a fast car and made my son watch it. I figured if I'm going to end up doing this (because I don't trust him around power tools yet), he's at least going to learn some science. He is now talking about the best ways he can think of to increase potential energy and try to turn all of it into kinetic energy by the end of the race. Now, some of his ideas are against the rules, but at least he's thinking.

Through it all I have managed to avoid soda. It is getting harder the longer this goes. I mean, how do you go to the movie theater and not eat popcorn and drink soda?!? But, I managed. I bought some for everyone else and then sat there eating and drinking nothing. I gotta admit, at times, I just don't want plain water. So, tonight I think it's time for a beer :D

I've done a crappy job of updating this thread, but I have done a good job with my goals, with the exception of the blog posts. I still only have one done this challenge. Oh well, of all my goals to fall down on, that one is probably my lowest priority.

Wow! That sounds like a great few days (except for the sleeping part of the sub camping trip). Absolutely sounds like you made a good decision about switching up the training a bit. I'm a little surprised the soda thing is getting harder over time, but I guess that makes you extra tough for sticking it out! And yes, a beer does sound very well-deserved.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Wow! That sounds like a great few days (except for the sleeping part of the sub camping trip). Absolutely sounds like you made a good decision about switching up the training a bit. I'm a little surprised the soda thing is getting harder over time, but I guess that makes you extra tough for sticking it out! And yes, a beer does sound very well-deserved.

The soda has only been difficult when I'm in situations like the movie theater. Everyone else is having some, eating popcorn and I have too much time to think about it while the previews and ads are running. Once the movie started I was fine. We have a free soda machine at work, but I'm no longer tempted to grab anything out of there.

But, yeah, it was a fun weekend. I need to spend more time doing fun stuff with the family and less time doing chore stuffs with the family. 'Tis far more rewarding!

• Like 1

Hope to see you around the next challenge!

Yep, I'll be there. Gonna finish up this thread and then get a new one started for the next challenge.

I'm gonna call this challenge a win.

No late night snacks: check! This one was easier than I thought it would be. I don't know that I'll keep this one around next month for that reason.

No soda: check! This one was easy sometimes, but there were definitely sometimes that we're harder than others. Amazing how addictive that sugar water can be. I had previously given up regular soda, but didn't realize how much the diet stuff created cravings. Gonna keep this one around until I'm sure I've licked it.

Resistance training and sprints: check! I'm sticking with this plan and this goal. I like these workouts and I'm starting to see some progress. Its helping improve my pace runs without me actually doing pace runs. My joints are happy about that.

Blogging once a week: fail! I wrote 1 blog post all challenge. And what I stuggled with was topics to write on. Nothing I thought of seemed to move me.

But 3 out of 4 ain't bad. So, I'll take that. See you next challenge.

Oh, and did I mention in down 5.5 pounds since mid January? No? Well, it wasn't a specific goal, but I know I've got too much weight on my frame and could probably stand to lose another 15 pounds of fat or so. But, this is a good side effect of training and date I say, skipping soda?