Seabright's 2016 Battle Log of Awesomeness

Weekend recap

Yoga:

None. What? Yeah. The horror. 

Food:

Oh my goodness. Fail!

Coffee all weekend. Chocolate bar. Went to a wedding and had 2 beers. (They were Coronas, so that really only counts as 1 beer har har). Stuck to the meat but had a mouthful of the baked beans. 2 morning gigs on Sat and Sun destroyed me. Diet Cokes both days. Drink with dinner last night. 

Blech.

Alonetime:

Got some. Volunteered to do the breakfast run and took the long way home.

Gratitude:

Got it all done. Very grateful.

Goals for the weekend:

• Do both gigs and be perky the whole time. DONE!
  • Finish personal writing assignment. DONE!
  • Have a good time at that wedding. DONE!

Goal for the week ending Thurs Aug 11:

• New goal: X29.9 -> X29.4 (1/2 pound)

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Mon Aug 8

Yoga:

15 mins of just getting moving again.

Food:

1 cup of coffee.

Alonetime:

Cruised home the long way.

Gratitude:

Grateful that there is another way off the mountain, when I need it or when I want it.

Goals for today:

• Document changes in wiki. DONE!
  • Document new first-time use stuff in wiki. DONE!
  • Do Week 2 online course work. DONE!

• Reality check: this now may not be possible, given the excesses of this weekend. To make this happen, Must. Eat. Clean.

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Wed Aug 10

Yoga:

30 mins of slowly unkinking the kinks.

Food:

None so far, but I can tell you that it is in my future. My very near future.

Update: Yep, low levels of coffee consumption throughout the day. I did the best I could with the food, considering that at no time did they serve bacon and eggs. Had fruit and plain croissants for breakfast; lunch was good with chicken and salmon, sweet potatoes and a little salad. Starving by mid-afternoon. The snack was...almond and flax bars, sweetened with honey. I had 2. Foraging for dinner and found myself in front of a GIANT pulled-pork sandy, just the pork, a little cabbage and red onion on a roll. 

Alonetime:

All week long.

Gratitude:

Grateful that my brother works in the city, and that we like each other. Called him up to ask where to go for food and he pointed me at the Ferry Building. AWESOME!!

Goals for today:

I'm at a conference in SF for the next few days. I already had the worst allergy attack of my life, and dropped my conference badge in the toilet. 

Let's just get through this.

• Get through the day without sugar or alcohol, and eat clean. DONE! I think I did pretty well. See above.
  • Start Week 1 of the next course. DONE! Finished the assignment, too!
  • Go to mini golf tonight. Really. Don't chicken out just because you don't know anybody. Update: WELL...didn't go. The fact that we had to find our own way there AND pay for the mini golf sucked away all my resolve. I found that out early in the day, so instead I FORCED myself to go sit with other people and TALK TO THEM at breakfast and lunch. Instead of eating in my room, I went down to the Ferry Building, and instead of doing I would normally do -- find a little inside table in the corner somewhere and eat with my head down -- I went outside, found a table in the sunshine, people-watched, and let the whole gorgeous afternoon soak in. I'm going to call this one a double-win, because the point of going to the mini golf was to talk to people I don't know and do something different. Yay for me!

• Reality check: this now may not be possible, given the excesses of this weekend. To make this happen, Must. Eat. Clean.
  • Update on the unlikelihood of this happening. There is no restaurant in this hotel!! This means I need to eat the food provided by the conference organizers. Or way way overspend on SF restaurants. Oh well. Do the best you can, and make the good choices. Don't go hungry, but don't indulge.

Human Adventurer

Thur Aug 11

Yoga:

35 mins of embracing the unfamiliar. Got 1/2 way through the sequence before just feeling like I needed to lie down.

Food:

Went back to the Ferry Building at 8am hoping for bacon and eggs, but no joy. Drank Starbucks in my room, and had a bunch of fruit and some poppy seed bread at breakfast. Lunch and dinner pretty good, but had an almond flax seed bar at the snack break. 

Alonetime:

Getting lots of it. Strolls down to the Ferry Building. Enjoying a WARM San Francisco afternoon.

Gratitude:

Grateful I have a such a cool brother. We had a nice dinner together down on the water, and caught up on this and that.

Goals for today:

• Get through the day without sugar or alcohol, and eat clean. Update: Pretty good. No perfect, but not bad.
  • At the lunch break, go to peek in that shop you keep looking at from the 2nd floor windows. It won't hurt you to go outside and walk around. Go do something that scares you...like trying on clothes. DONE! I took, like, 48 things into the dressing room in various sizes, and ended up buying some stuff at 40% off. Yay!

Human Adventurer

Skipping ahead. Came home Friday and I've been trying to recover my equilibrium ever since. Some stuff good, some stuff not so.

Mon Aug 15

Yoga:

40 mins of first sequence out of the book. Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if I just worked my way through all the sequences?

Food:

Coffee with breakfast, and then another cup with a work friend. Lunch good. Hungry now. Heading home for a sensible dinner.

Alonetime:

Spent my alone time with los gatos in the yard. Little Dolly is learning how to play, and she zoomed all over the yard, finally ending up in the tree. Billy and Emma looked on from their briskets, a bit superior. 

Gratitude:

In the midst of some sad news there's love. It's always there, burning strong and true. Grateful for the many years of love and joy. Grateful that we still have time to romp and play...and that there's time, this time, to say good-bye.

Goals for today:

• Get through emails and make a work to-do list. DONE!

Goal for the week ending Thurs Aug 11 - Update

• New goal: X29.9 -> X29.4 (1/2 pound). 
  • Fail.
  • Weighed-in this morning at X30.6.
  • I knew it wasn't going to happen, due to conference-related-eating-badness. I tried to minimize this, but still ate some not-good stuff.
  • Note: It could have been worse. With a couple of exceptions, I skipped the pastries at breakfast and desserts at lunch.

New weekly goal for the week ending Mon Aug 22

• X30.6 -> X30.1 (1/2 pound). 

Human Adventurer

Tues Aug 16

Yoga:

35 minutes of saluting the sun. The next sequence in the book will have to wait until tomorrow.

Food:

Coffee with breakfast, and then another mid-morning cuppa. Food all good. No sugar. No alcohol.

Alonetime:

Strolled around campus, breathing deeply.

Gratitude:

Great gig tonight at the BBQ place! It was hot in there, though...grateful to the owner for so thoughtfully installing a fan on stage. 

Goals for today:

• Finish those last 2 slides. DONE!
  • Work on fly-out. DONE!
  • Work on motors. DONE!
  • Do first week 3 vid in course. DONE!
  • Get through gig tonight without sugar or alcohol. DONE!
  • Be generally perky throughout the day. DONe!

Goal for the week ending Mon Aug 22

Human Adventurer

Wed Aug 17

Yoga:

20 minutes of a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Food:

OMG I"m so sleepy  no sleep last night at all. Coffee with breakfast, and then another mid-morning cuppa. Did I mention that I didn't get no sleep last night? At. All. Didn't have time for lunch, so had a couple of Nature Valley 'healthy' bars from the vending machine. Blech.

Alonetime:

Made dinner tonight on my ownsome. Since there wasn't anyone else there, had a grand old time skipping the bluegrass and singing Bruno Mars and Christina Aguilera songs. ;-)

Gratitude:

Grateful for those quiet evenings when we're all there, watching TV, feet on the coffee table, all three kitties on various laps (2 on mine), staying a little bit late because we don't want to disturb them. Grateful that the 2 elders are feeling better, and grateful for these soft, quiet moments.

Goals for today:

• Rework that one slide. DONE!
  • Finish course vids. DONE!
  • Get through that one phone call in a highly perky manner. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Thurs Aug 18

Yoga:

Overslept by an hour and a half!! Ack! No yoga this morning.

Food:

1 big cup of coffee with breakfast, and sitting here now with another. Update: Diet Coke after a nasty sandwich from the Grab N' Go, to settle my poor stomach. Dinner was okay, but had a couple drinks before hand.

Alonetime:

Stopped in Los Gatos on the way home for a quick stroll.

Gratitude:

While waiting for our TV dinners to heat up, the spousal unit and I sat on the kitchen floor and talked about the nature of kindness. We told each other stories of those lovely small moments of kindness we had witnessed, expressed regrets over missed opportunities to help another along the way, and vowed to be better ourselves.

Goals for today:

• Go through the remaining e's and capture any outstanding tasks. DONE!
  • Crowdsourcing exercise (oy). Almost done!
  • Document FTU info in wiki. DONE!
  • Do any 1 single teeny tiny thing on portfolio site. Even the smallest thing counts. Nada.

Human Adventurer

Fri Aug 19

Yoga:

10 mins. Snuck in a tree pose or two.

Food:

1/2 cup of regular plus 1/2 cup of decaf. 

Alonetime:

Long way home.

Gratitude:

Was actively grateful for stuff, but don't actually remember what at this point.

Goals for today:

• Stay calm. DONE!
  • Finish crowdsourcing exercise. DONE! YAY!
  • Do any 1 single teeny tiny thing on portfolio site. Even the smallest thing counts. Nada. Boo.

Human Adventurer

Stuff happened over the weekend. Had fish tacos with rice and beans and extra corn tortillas at 2 different meals. This had a negative impact on my goal. Boo. 

On the up side, I finally got out to see my little buddy CD. As it turns out, his owner and owner's friends have not been riding him. I've been staying away because I didn't want to be de trop. CD, in the meantime, has gotten, um, round. Plus, very stiff on one side from all the standing around. I've blocked Wednesday afternoons, to get down there regularly. I've actually had this time blocked for months, but I've always been too chicken to just go and do it. Chicken as a way of life blows. Time to just get over myself. 

Anyway. Onward!

Tues Aug 23

Yoga:

20 mins. Unkinked some kinks.

Food:

1 cup coffee. Then another. Then a piece of garlic bread with dinner. Then a piece of apple pie late in the evening. Blech.

Alonetime:

WFH today, just me and the cats and the jackhammers. 

Gratitude:

Grateful to have a home to WFH from.

Goals for today:

• Do first vid in new course. DONE! This is going to be hard. 
  • Attend all meetings remotely...and successfully. DONE! 
  • Make a freakin' decision about the preso and just stick with it! DONE!

• Fail.
  • Went upwardly in the wrong direction.
  • Rice, beans, and corn tortillas.
  • I did better when I was off coffee.
  • But another try will have to wait until this preso is done.
  • Will monitor weight, but refrain from setting another week-ending goal until preso is done.
  • And then all will be better.
  • And we will all rejoice.

Okay. The music of the jackhammers is now starting. Kitties hiding under bed. 

Human Adventurer

Wed Aug 24

Yoga:

15 mins. Just barely got it in.

Food:

1 cup coffee, plus some more when I got to work. Had something unspeakable from the pastry counter. Felt icky. Compounded things later by having a Diet Coke. Then, stopped at Jack's before the gig and got some chicken strips. 

Spiraling out of control!

Alonetime:

Big ol' loooong drive up to Albany to fill in on the bass with the boys. Sang lots o' songs, and thought about this and that.

Gratitude:

Sometimes I can't believe that I get to play with these guys. They've been my heroes for years, and they were one of the first bluegrass bands i ever saw play live. And now I'm their go-to when they need a sub. That feels pretty good, I gotta telly ya. Grateful their bass player couldn't make it (and grateful that his injuries are only minor ;-0). 

Goals for today:

• Get through all e's and list tasks. DONE!
  • Find the stats for those projects. DONE!
  • Start pulling screens. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Thur Aug 25

Yoga:

None. Overslept, big time.

Food:

1 cup coffee, plus some more when I got to work. Will do a coffee reboot tomorrow, I think. I have  2 weeks from today to detox in time for the next presentation. I don't want to waste this opportunity. Just getting through today, and then tomorrow will be taken up with a group off-site. Laser tag!

Alonetime:

Sitting in the backyard, in the late-afternoon sunshine, feet on a chair, cat on my lap.

Gratitude:

We're entering the dog days, now, and I love it. So glad I put the alone time goal for myself this year. It's reminding me to savor the after-work moments. 

Goals for today:

• Clear the urgent things. DONE!
  • Do next vid in online course. DONE!
  • Start fleshing out preso. DONE!

Human Adventurer

A bit of time has passed, but not so much that I've drifted too far from the shore.  Yoga has been happening, as well as alone time and gratitude. Food has been fair-to-middlin'. 

Feeling pretty good right now, I have to say, but maybe that's because I decided to work from home today. ;-)

Tues Aug 30

Yoga:

45 minutes. Working my way through the book of sequences. This one was labelled 'beginner', but, well, by golly, that sucker was hard!

Food:

Coffee all over the joint this morning. See above notation about feeling pretty good. Food all good, all day. Drink with dinner, but only a bit.

Alonetime:

On-my-owning it this evening, and spent a few minutes with a cat on my lap. 

Gratitude:

Concrete poured! 

Goals for today:

• Clear the big things by 10am. DONE!
  • Apply for that one job. Just freakin' do it and let the chips fall where they may. DONE!
  • Preso outline COM-FREAKIN'-PLETE by 4pm. Outline complete, but still needs work. 

Human Adventurer

Wed Aug 31

Yoga:

None. Overslept.

Food:

Coffee consumed, and then some. Diet Coke. Drink with dinner. Jack-in-the-Box. No bueno.

Note to self: this seems to happen when I don't get a chance to eat lunch. Also, didn't bring apples, which I usually keep in a bowl on my desk. 

Alonetime:

Spent it on the phone with someone, giving virtual hugs. So, not entirely alone, but time well spent.

Gratitude:

Grateful that, as bad as it was, it wasn't worse. Walking was accomplished today, and jokes were told. Many more hugs will be needed, and I'm grateful that I'm here to offer them.

Goals for today:

• Document one thing from my AA folder. DONE!
  • Spend bulk of day on preso. Add new section that you thought of last night. Kinda done. Section added, but nothing really moved forward.
  • Set up time on Thur to review preso w/buddy. DONE!
  • Call Marie and John. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Thur Sept 1

Yoga:

40 minutes of yogariffic movement.

Food:

Coffee but not enough. Heading out in a second for a second. Had a chocolate croissant and a Diet Coke. And a drink with dinner. And some apple pie that the spousal unit brought home from his gig.

The wheels are coming off.

Alonetime:

Drove in to work on the back road down the mountain. Lovely morning with a little snap of fall in the air.

Gratitude:

Stopped on the way home at the burger joint at the summit to hear friends' band play a few tunes. So grateful that the little place at the summit is having music once a week, and that it starts at 6pm. I just pull off the road and park! Can have a chicken caesar and tap my foot to a few, and then back on the road. Sah-weet!!

Goals for today:

• Blow off everything except preso. DONE!
  • Be ready to present at 3pm. DONE! A few slides missing graphics, but the meat was there.
  • Take the feedback with good grace. DONE! My buddy gave me some great comments. Can't wait to take another pass!

Human Adventurer

Fri Sept 2

Yoga:

None. I should at least stretch out my feet later tonight. I mean, sheesh. Really. At a minimum.

Food:

Coffee and a big cuppa at that. Diet soda. Chips.

Alonetime:

Outside late in the day. Gazed at nothing in particular.

Gratitude:

Next week it will all be over.

Goals for today:

• Emma to the vet this morning without her claws slicing me to ribbons. DONE! She was such a good kitty!
  • Send out monthly gig notice. DONE!
  • Finish preso. DONE! 
  • Send invite for PTO days next week. DONE!
  • Knock off at 2pm if at all possible. NOT! Online until late, but got the preso done, so I'm calling this day a win all over the place.!

Human Adventurer

The Weekend

Yoga:

Something every day. Did 2 of the sequences from the book, and a bunch of stretching and twisting as well.

Food:

Coffee all weekend long. Chips. Candy bar. Fish tacos.

Alonetime:

Made sure to get at least a few minutes on my own each day. Yesterday, drove out to the ranch to ride my little pony pal. 

Gratitude:

We're going to the fair, after all! Thought we weren't going to do it this year, what with folks having health problems, and beloved horses passing. Yesterday, they told me that they talked and decided just to go and have fun. (Usually we practice for weeks on a small herd.) So, we're on! Don't know who I'll be riding, or how many runs I'm going to get, but we're going. WOOOO HOOOOOOO!

Goals for today:

• Do not look at my presentation. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Tues, Sept 6

Yoga:

30 mins. Started out telling myself I only had to do 10, but just kept going. Yay for me!

Food:

Coffee in the am. Coffee in the afternoon. Polenta with dinner.

Alonetime:

Long drive down to the gig. Traffic not too bad and fun to see the little horses at that one ranch by the highway.

Gratitude:

Nice night! So grateful that we've got a kick-ass fill-in gal on the guitar, when our regular guitar player can't make it. Awesome!!

Goals for today:

• Revisit presentation and make any adjustments. DONE!
  • Find a quiet place and talk through it. DONE!
  • Make any additional adjustments. DONE!
  • Start self eval (shudder). NOT. 

Human Adventurer

Wed, Sept 7

Yoga:

20 mins. No eggs in the ol' refrigerator this morning, so had to cut things short to allow enough time to stop for breakfast on the way in.

Food:

Coffee in the am. More stuff all day long.

Alonetime:

Got some.

Gratitude:

Felt it.

Goals for today:

• Find a quiet place and talk through preso. DONE!
  • Make any final adjustments. DONE!
  • Finish self eval (shudder). DONE!
  • Do that one message for that one project. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Catching up! Stuff has happened all over the place.

- Gave the preso and gave the interviews.

- Hedging bets by reaching out to other orgs. 2 interviews now set up.

- Rode a new horsie. A cutter. She's something.

- Rode in the sorting event at the fair. Fouled out every run, but had fun doing it.

- Riding tomorrow in the boxing event on the new horsie. The baseline for success: Do. Not. Fall. Off.

Tue, Sept 13

Yoga:

15 mins of the minimum. Side/abdominal stretches hurt like the dickens. If my gut's still sore on Thursday (AFTER the fair), will consider having a professional have a look-see. 

Food:

Coffee in the am. Had a DC to help me through. Food pretty good. Drink with dinner.

Alonetime:

Spent it gathering gear for tomorrow. Yay for being organized!

Gratitude:

I'm grateful to have these opportunities. I don't have my own horse, so very grateful to be able to ride at all. She's sweet and won't hurt me. 

Goals for today:

• Do at least one thing from the AAA folder. DONE!
  • Send in screens with comments. DONE!
  • Book 1/1 perf eval meeting w/manager (shudder). DONE!
  • Look at the first exercise in writing assignment and see what's what. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Wed, Sept 14

Yoga:

Just a couple mins stretching, then out the door! 

Food:

Coffee in the am. Breakfast sandwich on the way out. Cinnamon role at the fair. Cliff bars. Not enough water. No real food. Exhausted when I got home and phoned up a pizza. Drink with dinner.

Alonetime:

Too much. Felt unsupported and alone. 

Gratitude:

This was a rough day - things went wrong, I didn't have the right gear, and I didn't have anyone in my corner so I felt pretty alone and lonely. I was hot, thirsty and hungry. I didn't have the right gear (humiliating). My horse got loose at the start of the day (humiliating). She was sweet, but pretty slow, and we lost our cow right away - both runs (double-humiliating). I didn't actually have fun, which was unexpected.

This is when it's most important to stay focused on lessons learned, and remember to be grateful. I got to ride. Yay! She was slow, but safe. Yay! I didn't fall off. Yay! For the gear thing, there was possibly a little passive-aggressive message there (I have to borrow everything from the ranch). So, for lessons learned - next time I'll take more ownership over knowing about gear requirements, and make absolutely sure I'm provided with the right stuff, even if it means delaying getting on the road. I pay for it, and they need to provide it. For support, I won't rely on the people who brought me, but instead reach out to strangers and interact with the other riders, to try and make friends before my runs. I won't assume the ranch people are there for me. They're not. They are providing me with a horse and a trailer to get to the event, but after that I'm on my own. This is a lesson in self-reliance, and it's good for me. 

We always need to make our own good days, and find the fun in things wherever it is. The cinnamon bun was delicious. :-)

Goals for today:

• Don't fall off. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Thur, Sept 15

Yoga:

None. Overslept. 

Food:

Coffee in the am. Lemonade in the afternoon and then more coffee. Leftover pizza for lunch. Apple galette. Drink with dinner. Blech.

Alonetime:

None, really. Too bad, too. All I really wanted to do all day was curl up in a ball on my bed.

Gratitude:

Didn't get this one, either. Argh. Grateful that I have the 3:30pm with another co set up, and an on-site scheduled with someone else in a few days.

Goals for today:

• Catch up on emails from yesterday. DONE!
  • Provide messaging promised on Tuesday. DONE!
  • Get through 3:30 meeting and have fun with it. DONE!
  • Stretch: Complete first writing assignment. Not done. 

Human Adventurer

Fri, Sept 16

Yoga:

None. Wasn't into it. 

Food:

Coffee in the am. Diet Coke. Salad for lunch. The rest of the day was a disaster, and we shall not speak of it.

Alonetime:

Sat outside in the framework of the new garage and gazed at the evening.

Gratitude:

Still here, and that's a good thing.

Goals for today:

• Check the content for that one project. DONE!
  • Finish up issue with that other project. DONE!
  • Complete first writing assignment. Change of plans - just scored time with another company that also has a writing assignment. Starting on that one first.
  • Have fun at the gig tonight. Really. I mean it. DONE! It was actually pretty cool

Human Adventurer

Weekend catch-up:

I realized that it's actually okay to feel a little bit down about last week, and that sometimes a little bit of moping is not only okay, it's appropriate. Saturday Spent sort of lying around. Sunday spent doing dishes and laundry...and lying around (it was pretty hot at our house). 

Feeling like I'm more ready to do a reset, now, and gird my loins for the upcoming-ness. 

Let's have at it!

Mon, Sept 19

Yoga:

15 minutes. Getting moving.

Food:

Coffee in the am. DC in the afternoon. Wine at end of day. 

Alonetime:

None. Even had someone track me down at work where I was hiding to ask me a series of questions. There's no hiding place down here. ;-)

Gratitude:

They threw me a bone. That was a surprise! It really is just a bone, and a well-chewed one, but it's nice to know that someone out there realizes that something is wrong. 

Goals for today:

• Get through all meetings. DONE!
  • Finish up lingering issues in email. DONE!
  • Do first writing assignment. STARTED!

Human Adventurer

Tue, Sept 20

Yoga:

15 minutes. Feeling better, although can still tell I fell on that saddle horn last week. Have been binge-watching 'Grey's Anatomy' so of course I think I have a perforated small intestine.

Food:

Coffee in the am. Heading out for more right now. Had a small smoothy and a bag of chips of lunch (cafeteria now closed for the next few months while the powers-that-be make it all beautiful). Coffee at gig to keep me going until 9am, but no beer, so there's that.

Alonetime:

Stepped outside and worked on the patio in the shade. Got sh*t done!

Gratitude:

Great time playing with the boys tonight! Singing was good!

Goals for today:

• First drafts of all 3 messages. DONE! No one more surprised than myself.
  • Focus on writing assignment after that. NOT. Still can't find time to get this done. Starting to get scared, especially now that I've got 2 of them to work through by Monday.

Human Adventurer