WhitebeltBrowncoat Round 3 - Training Solo Smartly

WhiteBeltBrowncoat

Ok, so despite falling off the face of the earth towards the end of last challenge, I'm still here. Last exercise I really liked starting every day with 10 squats and 10 pushups. I felt better for it. This time I would like to keep this trend up. I've been noticing some pain in my knees and ankles recently, so I am going to have to adjust the exercise and figure out what's going on. 

1) 10 squats/10 pushups minimum first thing in the morning

Since I'm not able to go to kaju classes at the moment, I want to practice what I did learn. I really enjoyed learning something new and the movement and flow of everything. At the moment, I feel like I learned a bunch of different separate parts. Some punches, some blocks, some stickwork, some footwork. We didn't learn any kata, which would make it easier to have a set routine to practice. So I think I need to figure out a way to string it all together. 

2) Practice Kaju at home twice a week

The physical movement is the fun and easy part. I really need to get the eating figured out. the tracking food in my fitness pal is interesting to see, but I have trouble tracking after lunch. So I think this challenge, I'm going to work on dinner. Specifically having half my plate be vegetables.

3) Dinner shall include half a plate of veggies

• Like 1

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

In the absence of kata, may I recommend shadow boxing? It's not quite the same thing, but it does require a good degree of mindfulness and thinking in terms of how you can fit something in. It doesn't even have to be fast, either, just focused.

Lots of veggies? Good call.

All right, then! Welcome back! Let's get to it.

Nice looking challenge! The daily minimum exercise seems like a great way to establish a base activity level and takes some of the excuse making out of the process. If you get creative with your dinner veggies, do share! I can't be the only one who gets in a vegetable rut. So selfishly I want to know. :)

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Veggies are a good thing.  I go back and forth on the amount of vegetables on my plate.  I'm lucky in that I don't usually mind when I get into a rut - I have no problems with eating broccoli every day.  Then again, I'm not great at getting a lot of variety...

Anywho - for practice, did you have any partner exercises you could just do one side of?  Those are mini-kata in their own right, especially at the early levels.  I like the shadowboxing idea, too.

Then again, just practicing a technique in and of itself can be a good thing.  Repeating drills with attention can help with integrating the mechanics. 

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Hey all, thanks for the encouragement. Thanks for the shadow boxing suggestion kishi. I think I'm going to try working on stringing together what I did learn smoothly. Courtesy, I totally agree that having a low number /easy exercises to do makes it much easier to do something rather than saying in going to do x, y, and z. The simple exercises first thing after waking up sends to make me want to do more than just those few things and is more successful fit me. As far as veggies, we generally toss them with some olive oil and roast them. Or favorite at the moment is cauliflower. It takes on a nice flavor in the oven and is ready to throw in the oven and ignore whole making the rest of dinner. Chris, partner exercises do sound like good ideas. I'll have to see if I can talk the wife into some sombrada or sinawali drills. Note to self, avoid the curling fans. They don't like sticks...

And a quick update. Two days now I've done my morning exercises and practiced kajukenbo (I swear one day I will practice kaiju, just as soon as I take up model building). Got a big salad for dinner and today romanescu. I have to like it when I find myself craving veggies over junk food like pizza.

• Like 4

Checking in again. So far things have been going okay.

The physical part has been the easier to do for sure. Been able to do 10 pushups and a handful of squats every morning. I haven't been pushing the squats because my knee is bothering me. But I get to see the doc today to find out what is going on. I suspect I just tweaked something, but better to know for sure. I've been practicing the basics from kaju on my own. Also started watching some escrima videos on youtube. That's been kind of fun starting to learn something new again. I've also been trying to read and learn more about bodyweight strength and programming so I've been spending a lot of time trying to read Overcoming Gravity and finally learning how to use reddit and reading /r/bodyweightfitness. There is a lot of cool stuff out there that I want to learn to do.

Veggies have been a little challenging lately. We went out of town over the weekend so it was more difficult to get the veggies there and then Monday/Tuesday were whirlwind nights and I didn't get to make them. The wife and I definitely noticed missing them. But last night we did have a salad (small, but a salad nonetheless).

On a completely different note, I've been assembling a library of PDFs on fitness and martial arts related topics, but I'm realizing that for me, hard copies work better for my comprehension and digestion of the material (ebooks are just fine for "fluff" fiction, but I just could not do non-fiction [especially philosophy]. The physical copy in my hands seemed to help me focus and really work at comprehending what I was reading). All that being said, I wanted something hard to read, but not take up a ton of space so I've been learning about bookbinding. Partially done with my first attempt (Pavel's Naked Warrior) and can't wait to try another one. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures up later on.

• Like 3

As to your research, that sounds like a very crafty answer to the problem. I like it. I've been kind of running into that my own self lately - I can pack some reference books onto the Kindle, but they don't have quite the same feel and I don't know that they're as good for research, you know?

That's right, Overcoming Gravity is a fantastic resource for building and developing strength in the bodyweight style. Hmm. May have to look into that my own self somewhere down the line.

Agreed on the hard copy vs. electronic copy learning. You lose the easy browsing with digital, so it ceases to be useful as reference unless you are incredibly diligent about making notes and keywords on whatever platform you use. (I'm not!) There is also a design barrier with digital: font choice, line length and space, and even margins all alter the mental work involved when reading. Most e-readers don't preserve those design considerations.

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

So I did the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine for the first time this morning and it kicked my butt. I'm looking forward to working more with this, but I'm thinking I might try to split it over a couple days at first.

All right. I did the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine again last night. It felt good. I'm definitely not as sore today. After the first time, I was definitely sore. So that is some nice progress. I need to practice the kaju more, I haven't done that for the last week. The foods I need to get under control. I weighed myself and found that I had gained between 7 and 10 pounds (depending on where I put the scale on the floor, the reading was between 230 and 234. It would be nice if the scale was more accurate/precise (I never can remember which one is applicable). Ideally, I would be able to leave the scale in one place and not move it, but we just don't have space to do that. Anyways, I need to get the food under control. That kind of jump in weight is not nice and doesn't help me towards my goal of 175. So it's time to start weighing things and tracking more, at least until I can reestablish my baseline of what I am actually eating.

Well, fortunately, it generally doesn't take long to re-establish baseline. You just note what you're eating for a few days and try to eat the same things over and over again. Which may not necessarily be easy in your situation, but the longer you track, the longer you get a sense of the patterns behind your eating and what sort of eating you can do to make things better for yourself.

On a completely different note, I've been assembling a library of PDFs on fitness and martial arts related topics, but I'm realizing that for me, hard copies work better for my comprehension and digestion of the material (ebooks are just fine for "fluff" fiction, but I just could not do non-fiction [especially philosophy]. The physical copy in my hands seemed to help me focus and really work at comprehending what I was reading). All that being said, I wanted something hard to read, but not take up a ton of space so I've been learning about bookbinding. Partially done with my first attempt (Pavel's Naked Warrior) and can't wait to try another one. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures up later on.

I love that Idea! I gota couple of fitness books on my kindle to make them easier to read but you're right, it's really hard to dip in and out and I can't even look at the pictures properly. I love this solution :) 

How did your challenge finish? 

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6