[KB Girl] lifts all the things, but mostly kettlebells

No no no! Its not about the birthday! It's about doing 28kg for 28 reps! :tongue: Come on TML, you at least should be able to appreciate this! ;)

I'm so sore. My elbow hurts! (in the non-permanent way, no worries)

But thanks! <3 I had sushi for lunch. And now I think i'll go bake something.

heavy long cycles do make the elbows sore. I suspect women (who are far more often hyperflexible in the elbows than men) struggle with it even more.

It's not fair that you only have to do 28.

friggin kids.:)

crap, you just made me realize that I have a 36 kg bell now. I guess I know what I'm playing with soon.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Happy birthday!

And great job on the 28 reps with 28 kg!  That must be so brutal for the older people.  I hope you have something fun planned (well, other than playing with your KBs).  ;)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I was wondering if verjaardag meant birthday when I saw that video pop up on youtube (yes, I stalk you there, too). Hope you had a nice day and awesome workout. Too bad there are no 29kg KBs, so I'll have to sit this year out :P

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had a good day, sushi and games with Jaap and today family + close friends came over for dinner. There was a little bit too much chocolate and apple pie. 

heavy long cycles do make the elbows sore. I suspect women (who are far more often hyperflexible in the elbows than men) struggle with it even more.

It's not fair that you only have to do 28.

friggin kids. :)

crap, you just made me realize that I have a 36 kg bell now. I guess I know what I'm playing with soon.

Jep I am slightly hypermobile in my elbows too! It's your birthday soon? 36 with 36 sounds doable :) And otherwise you could always do ehh.. double 18 :D

Happy birthday!

And great job on the 28 reps with 28 kg!  That must be so brutal for the older people.  I hope you have something fun planned (well, other than playing with your KBs).   ;)

Haha no worries I don't make anyone else do that. It was a bit of a coincidence that it fit in well with my level + goals. But most of the people at my gym are female and over 34, so.. not happening.

I was wondering if verjaardag meant birthday when I saw that video pop up on youtube (yes, I stalk you there, too). Hope you had a nice day and awesome workout. Too bad there are no 29kg KBs, so I'll have to sit this year out :tongue:

Actually, I already made plans for next year... just tape a 1kg fractional plate to the bottom of a 28kg kettlebell! o/

Out of curiosity, what are the genetic requirements necessary to be a super awesome kettlebeller?

Ahhh ehm, I havent given it an enormous amount of thought because I can't influence it anyway.... but it's three fold:

1. body type: long arms are good for snatch and also for lc and jerk when compared to the torso.. just long enough so you can put your elbows easily on your hip bones.

2. the usual, amount of red blood cells, testosterone, ability to recover etc

3. and a very important one I think is... ehm some might call it talent, but everyone has a certain amount of motor control... and ofc you can improve this.. but some people just have it way easier than others. 

fyi, I have 3 quite a lot, 1 is quite alright and 2 is crappy. Jaap for example has a shit load of 2, almost nothing of 3 and he's seriously fcked for 1 too. haha. 

My best team mate has a lot of 1 and 2 but is seriously under dealt in 3.. it's weird because she has played sports all her life, teaches group fitness classes and swimming to kids. It took me about a month to teach her a proper swing, while other people get it within 5 seconds.

I've often thought that if you combined the two of us youd have the perfect athlete. 

In a couple years when the sport has grown a lot more neither of us could even make it to the (very) top no matter how young we started or how hard we worked.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Dear diary,

Didn't get much of anything done on wednesday, had a day full of appointments on thursday and since I was still kinda sore from tuesday I went with a long slow single switch set. These kind of sets really are terribly easy except for the not swiching hands part. My forearms were hurting, even my shoulder and elbow start hurting near the end, it's terrible. 

• 20 minutes snatch with 8kg, single switch
  • some messing about with technique with 14/16/18kg

Worked on upper back mobility after. 

Friday (today) wasn't a great success because I didn't sleep well, so I was really tired at work and not really feeling up to training.. but I had decided to go join in on the virtual lifting competition, so I did 3 attempts of all 5 lifts. Some of them were a bit of a mockery, I didn't even really try for the bench (45kg) and snatch (35kg) because I never train those. But I was happy with my squat (80kg), deadlift (110kg) and C&J (58,5kg). No PRs, but pretty close to matching them and that's actually very nice for me right now. 

(there is video somewhere, one of our members has it on their phone, will post later)

I think i'll go to bed early today. Tomorrow, half a day at work and then going to play magic the gathering with a couple of friends :) I'm making chili so we can play all day and don't have to worry about food. The stew meat is stewing right now and i'll finish it there (friends place) tomorrow. It'll be me and 7 guys... so.. ehm.. I obviously need more nerdy lady friends and I fail at feminism with me doing the cooking ;)

• Like 1

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Ugh... to challenge or not to challenge? I do feel like i'm still in too much of a mess with the rest of my life to really be up for it.. but new challenges smell so nice and sweet and you just want to go and have one y'know. And if I do one it should really really be something like this; 

• I dont care what else is happening, get 8 hours of sleep you nitwit
  • follow the program, do your sets, even the long ones with 1 switch, stop whining
  • have some fun, play a bit, stand on your hands
  • and maybe clean up my office

...and isn't that boring? 

Maybe i'll just... pick one boring goal (the sleep thing) and pick something fun (maybe a cooking challenge) and just have my own little challenge party right here? And just keep doing those other things, no pressure? 

• Like 3

Ugh... to challenge or not to challenge? I do feel like i'm still in too much of a mess with the rest of my life to really be up for it.. but new challenges smell so nice and sweet and you just want to go and have one y'know. And if I do one it should really really be something like this; 

• follow the program, do your sets, even the long ones with 1 switch, stop whining

Maybe i'll just... pick one boring goal (the sleep thing) and pick something fun (maybe a cooking challenge) and just have my own little challenge party right here? And just keep doing those other things, no pressure? 

Not boring. Good, solid goals. I like the idea of one boring goal and one fun goal

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Not boring but very good goals. 

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

Catching up after about a week :o

@Yuen: I hadn't considered that my muscle-ups were "kipping" (I definitely aim for strict non-kipping ones, and I never learned how to do them) but I see your point. My trajectory is not quite vertical when I do pull-ups with power, and I struggle with the transition component of the muscle-up if I do the move without momentum.

re: injury danger of kipping muscle-ups: I think if you can hold yourself comfortably in an extreme low dip position then you're fine. Otherwise yes, your shoulders might not appreciate it!

re: injury danger of negative muscle-ups: if you're not yet strong enough to do a slow negative then you can fall awkwardly; negatives of any motion seem risky unless you can do it slowly.

@KB Girl: what are "master of sport" numbers? What do you need to achieve?

@KB Girl: you say that the coach contributes only 5% of the success of the athlete - and I'm not in a position to disagree since I'm not knowledgeable about KB sport - but I think you underestimate your value for the following general reason: the advice you give is mostly stuff that is obvious **to you** because you're good and experienced. Lots of your knowledge that you take for granted is not understood properly by others, so it has value. You might feel like you're giving mostly mundane obvious advice, but in practice some will be obvious and some will be novel to the athlete.

@Raptron: squatting <bodyweight> for <age> reps? :o That sounds super tough! I recently tried 92% bodyweight for (only) 20 reps and at the end I doubted whether my legs would ever recover...

@KB Girl: re: challenge: the goals you picked might not be exciting and shiny, but the things you do amid your quest for them are, and that's what's important. Far better to work on stuff that will help you do exciting things better. Nice numbers in the lifting competition btw! Especially 110kg for the deadlift :o

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

To challenge for sure! That way you'll be already in full Challenge mode when your Championship prep starts.

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Thanks! I've been sort of hiding. I've honestly been pretty stupidly busy, but it's mostly that I'm just really blue and don't really know how to deal with it and don't really want to spread the misery :D

But perhaps I've been wallowing to much and should come here and think about all the good stuff that's going on... Maybe.

Argh now I want to know how all of you are doing. But after I get some sleep! (It's 2am, brain has been refusing sleep, hence the babbling, sorry.)

• Like 2

*hugs*

And we are hear to listen. This community is ment for supporting each other <3

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

<3333 x2 what MH said. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Thanks guys! You're the bestest. 

I just feel like a total douch, because things are actually going really well, i should be very happy! It's just that the anxiety is eating me alive and i'm hardly sleeping at all. We're much more actively promoting the gym the last couple of months, (and it's really working!!) so I have to.. you know, write Facebook posts, write blog posts, make events.. To be fair.. I am slowly getting used to some things, but everytime I think "ah this is not so bad" it's time to make the next step. (we have a business coach who is helping us) And when I made that other sleep-drunken post I had just made a personal instagram account because that's how I'm going to, at some point, reach my goals. (Y'know, be the best kettlebell coach in the world.. but there isn't any point in being that if no one knows you exist right?)

Don't know if anyone remembers, but one of my first challenges I vowed to post as much video as possible to sort of desensitise myself to it, y'know? And that worked, I don't bat an eye when I post something on NF.. but ehm... the rest of the world is not NF :( 

The practice has been good, I just made an instagram post and kind of pretended I was posting something here. But yea, my brain is not 100% fooled. 

I'm sure it'll all be worth it at some point! Or I stop hating it this much! 

Hugs from afar.

*hugs*
And we are hear to listen. This community is ment for supporting each other <3

Thank you both! You've no idea how much that means <3

It's ok, you can wallow here. We can handle it. ;) We'd rather see you here than hiding, even if you're feeling down. I mean if you're up for it of course.  And we'll still think you're awesome no matter what. :)

Hugs!

Still sure about that after reading? :D 

I just.. I wish I thought I was awesome too :/ :X 

Thank you for the hug and the support <3

<3333 x2 what MH said. 

<333!! 

If by blue, you mean swearing a lot, it's ok, we all still love you with your potty mouth.

If only :D Can you also handle the insecure wallowing whininess? x)

• Like 1