thewrittennerd moves past the prologue

thewrittennerd

Our protagonist: a 24 year-old massage therapist and full-time student. She's never really done something like this before - organized sport? Not since middle school! But she seems to have found a new hobby...

The prologue we've finished: she started aerial classes 5 weeks ago with a roommate, and is developing her love for this outlet. 

This chapter: continuing to gain skills with silks. Continuing to gain strength outside of classes, to progress further during aerial sessions. Fuel the body that's taking her on this journey. Juggle all this with the return of a full semester of classes. 

The solid goals: 

a. aerial class 1x/week, full body workout 2x/week, *try out open practice 1x if able

I've got 3 more lessons left in this session, and then will need to purchase another! so this month will see me finishing up that, and continuing to develop myself outside of class. Money-willing, I also want to get to the studio to practice specific skills at least once during this challenge! But bodyweight workouts at home are free, so I can definitely do those. c: 

b. 2 servings of fruit/veg a day. 

Having one as my goal went well last challenge! Now to increase that consistency. To do so will require a lot of meal planning, as Tuesdays and Thursdays I need to bring lunch AND dinner with me to campus (I commute a far distance). Lots of mini-mini-goals to make this one possible!

c. No more than 2 sugary snacks/day!

This might sound high for a goal, but trust me, I eat a LOT of junk food right now, even alongside my healthy choices. Increasing fruit & veggies will help push them out, but I'm also going to need to focus on turning aside the bad choices as well! Mini-goal of 'no more than 3 outside-bought coffees/week' as well, which may very well be the hardest part of this challenge for me. 

As we can see, this is largely the same as my last challenge in the rebel forum! As I join the Assassins Guild, I'm gonna focus on increasing my strengths gradually, and shedding my bad habits just as consistently. Slow and steady! I know too great of a change will just result in me cracking under the added pressure of school and binge-eating junk, and talking myself out of workouts. Honestly, the easiest part of this by far will be the silks classes! They're giving me the motivation to do everything else. I want to get better at silks - everything else will follow. :) 

Welcome to the assassins! I can definitely sympathize with the need to keep it slow and steady. Some of the heavy-hitters in this guild just blow my mind with what they accomplish, but then when I look back at where I was 1-5 years ago... it does add up! Congrats on finding the aerial classes to keep you motivated; it looks like such a fun activity.

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

More silks people!  EXCELLENT!

What skills are you currently working on?

Open practice was so intimidating at first but I have to say it was critical to my development as an aerialist so I hope you will get a chance to try that out!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

manarelle, fridelisan, and starsapart! thanks to all of you! I know it's been a while since I posted, so I'm just gonna recap as much as I can in here.

slow and steady usually sees me getting frustrated/bored and quitting, but this time I've been more successful at convincing myself to stick with it. I'm finally starting to see/feel results, which is all I was REALLY frustrated about for the first 4-6 weeks of changing up my diet and exercise.

Most of my issue has been the process of me working through some...negative ideas about my strength levels compared to others. I'm still in the process of some serious life changes to help get away from that bad thinking. (I had Some Questionable Comments made by well-meaning personal trainers recently, one of whom was currently orienting ME for a new job as a personal trainer (this isn't my first athletic rodeo, I just always still consider myself a beginner haha) and had a bit of a breakdown for about three weeks in mid-January/early February. I've since quit that personal trainer job and talked out a lot of my issues with some close friends and am feeling way, way healthier about this whole thing.) 

It's crazy the societal quirks people have about the perception of exercise and physique! I'm still trying to leave that stuff behind me, because it's not gonna help me reach my goals. I wish it was always as easy as saying 'what they think doesn't matter', but for NOW, at least, that's how I feel! I'm on an upswing. My last two at-home workouts were completed with no panicking, which is the first time in over a month I've gotten through one without immense amounts of dread, huzzah! 

Aerial classes are going amazingly still, and I got to open practice on Monday. I'm definitely not going to practice the day after class again anytime soon though, hah! Some skills I've acquired/am working on so far, with hyperlinks in the text since names differ and so non-aerialists can see: 

-'basic' climbing, I'm doing well with! I have no issue with the basics. I want to start working on making it more efficient and smoother - pulling my legs up higher each time, basically, and not unraveling the silk with every other step, pff!

-Russian climbs, I do not understand at all! I can get the initial step-up but can't climb this way, yet. Gonna work on this one more. 

-candy cane was my BANE the first time we did it - it was the first move I absolutely didn't like and had a hard time doing, I'd never been so sore after a class as I was after my first attempt! we had another class practicing it, and I looked up videos for more tips and then tried in open practice, and I had a lot of 'aha!' moments here. I can spin okay-ish on the way out, it's messy but a lot of fun. (if people like videos of amateurs messing up, I have footage I can upload, hah!) 

-rebecca's split I love, although I'm very messy and not too flexible! we were taught to keep the free leg bent, as in this photo. 

Gazelle (with a knot/on a sling) into hip key, and then into my first drop! I did a drop on each side in the sling, from a hip key (bottom leg bent, fall backwards, catch yourself with that bent knee). I can also get into a basic version of a straddle back, if I'm standing on the ground so I can jump (no foot locks for pretty draping yet!). We've done a little bit of mounting practice with the trapeze as well - I loved dead man's hang! (Unfortunately, that name gives me VERY different images than what we did...we have a terminology issue here!) Birds nest was also surprisingly satisfying to hang in, despite being an easy move! 

I did not anticipate enjoying the trapeze so much! I prefer silks, but the trapeze has been fun for the few moves we learned with it. Even if it broke my toe on day one. :P

We've done others, but these stand out for me right now! I have pics and videos that I could share if people are interested. (Can I upload images directly to the site? I was gonna try but I can't see anything for that... I guess I don't mind uploading to tinypic though, I'm not too concerned about that!)

• Like 1

Congrats on sticking with it, and even more on finding something that helps you stick with it! As someone with very limited upper body strength, all of those moves on the silks are impressive. Something that might help on the comparing yourself to others issue is keeping written/ photographic track of your progress, and compare yourself to that, not to others. When I see the numbers other assassins are putting up on the challenge boards, it's easy to get discouraged... until I go back and look at my numbers when I started. Sure, someone else can do double what I can, but I'm doing triple what I used to be able to do, and with heavier weights. Just a thought.

I just use photobucket; I'm not sure about loading picture directly to the site. Would love to see pictures, though!

Haha thanks! I've always thought of myself as weak in the upper body, so it's crazy being in this beginner's silks class and having other students comment on how 'strong' I am! It's ALL a matter of perspective, which I'd always heard and tried to believe, but living it out is another thing entirely! I took photos of myself right as I started silks classes, actually, which was almost exactly a month ago now. I can't really see a difference between those and the mirror yet, but I think it's just a) a matter of time, and b ) I actually AM stronger, I can tell, regardless of what the photos might say anyway! I do need to keep better written track of my workouts though, that's a good point!

While sharing on a different social media platform I use, I realized that instagram has an online portion to it! So, here's a link to my instagram for some videos and the full version of the photo from my userpic! (And obviously, anyone on IG, feel free to follow me! I'll happily follow back fellow assassins/rebels/whathaveyou on this journey!) ...I need to post more often over there. I'm bad with taking photos, pff!

So far this week I've got one at-home workout left, to be completed tonight! Mostly I'm still excited because doing 'handstand progressions', like when you're just planking at an awkward angle from the wall, had been going horribly for me. But I kept seeing people kick up into them against the wall - the full handstand, just supported - and decided to hell with it, I've never been strong enough before, but I'll try it! And I did my first wall-assisted handstand on Wednesday, after abandoning doing the progressions for lack of progress! I'm so excited and can't wait to keep practicing it now! This is a whole new world. An upside-down world.

• Like 1

A month is a very short period of time to see changes, IMO. You'll be happy you have them a few more months down the road though.

So glad you are busting through those mental limitations about how you feel perceived and just kicking ass at your aerial pursuits. WELCOME TO THE UPSIDE-DOWN WORLD. It's a fun one. :D

Totes following you on instagram now (I'm jujiboos).

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I agree with Raptron- a month is a short period of time to SEE changes, but I'm absolutely with you on feeling the changes. I, too, had been trying to planks-up-the-wall method and said to heck with it this week. Let's hear it for just throwing yourself at a goal!

Love the videos, you are clearly having fun!

I know the general rule of '8 weeks til you notice, 12 weeks til close friends notice, 16 weeks for everyone else', and experience tells me this is more or less the case too! I'm trying to focus on how I FEEL as opposed to look, to avoid feeling discouraged. (Especially since I'd sort of assumed I'd lose weight - I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I'm used to being, which only bothers me since I can SEE its accompanied by a loss of muscle mass. My first semester of college went well grade-wise but it took a toll on everything else! But now at least I know I'm doing all the right things, so I'm focusing on how I feel. I'd happily stay this weight or heavier if I thought I looked and felt healthy!)

Thanks both of you! Yeah, for me the road to health is mostly blockaded with /mental/ hang ups, so I'm working on those while I work on my body! I'm feeling even better this week than last.

I am DEFINITELY having fun in those videos! I was sore from working out the day prior, but it was great practicing and getting some bonding time with my wife, who acted as photographer, hah!

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement! And yes, I added you back on IG, raptron!

• Like 1

Good news all around! I signed up for the next round of aerials classes a few days ago. Since I drive in my roommate, who doesn't have a car, we have to find a time that fits both of us, and while I felt ready for this gym's "1B", she wanted to stay in "1A", which we just took. Which is fine! So we both signed up for that, and I figured I'd spend the next 8 weeks just really getting the hang of the fundamentals. : P Well, as it turns out, a 1B opened up at the same time as that 1A! Considering there's only two rooms in that gym, I'm psyched at this great smiling of fate! So now I'm officially leveling up for the next session, which starts March 6th. Two more classes of this one, and one of those is tomorrow! It's going by so fast! Crazy to think I've really only logged 7 hours on silks so far, considering how much I love it...

And today marked the day of my first-ever free-standing handstand! I've been practicing kicking up against the wall since I managed it this week, and today I managed to lean away from the wall and balance for a little while! It had a really great feeling to it when I was standing there...couldn't quite get it back though, haha. 

Another great thing: my wife is officially hooked on Star Trek. Specifically TNG. Hopefully gonna binge-watch a little bit more with her tonight. Gotta balance the nerd and the fitness. 

• Like 2

Update!

We just had class on Sunday and our 'usual' instructor from the past 5 classes is gone on a trip, so we had a substitute, and it was actually really great having a different perspective on everything! Our regular instructor (and the woman I have for my next set of 8 classes as well) is more of a silks person, but this sub is more of a lyra gal. We learned some new variations on what we already knew on the trapeze, how to jump up into a straddle on that and the lyra, and some completely new things on the lyra, which we otherwise hadn't touched yet as a class! (In my initial intro at a different gym, I'd used a lyra, but it's been almost a month and a half since that).

It was incredibly fun! After using mostly silks for a while, the stability of the lyra and trapeze was really noticeable, and I kinda like the 'limitations' of it. From what I've felt so far, it feels like the silks needs more strength and coordination from me (between the two poles) but the lyra/trapeze require more contortion and pain tolerance, and...exactitude? (Less room for error when there's less apparatus!) I'm sure it's influenced by learning more basic things on the lyra/trapeze though. Definitely considering taking apparatus-specific classes for lyra and trapeze sometime now. :) 

I've signed up for an open practice tomorrow to keep reviewing everything. I feel like I'm starting to really 'get' Russian climbs and want to extend that to the regular climb, and doing a footlock in the air I had a great breakthrough about with this sub, too! I've got a little list of all the moves we've done so far to run through tomorrow morning, otherwise I know I'll get frazzled the second I touch a silk and forget everything, pff. 

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else taking classes, whether for aerials or something else? How long?

• Like 2

Congrats on the breakthroughs and continuing! I'm still working on parkour, if 1 class and signed up for another means "still working." It's amazing what a difference it can make just by having an "exercise" that really excites you. :) Good luck in the open practice!

Hey! Your videos looks great, you seem to have so much fun in them! Totally following you there! (I'm Fridelisan) Just like everyone else here said, 5 weeks is such a short time to notice any difference, but focusing on the feeling rather than just a scale number always seem to be a better way to notice those changes.

So glad you like the aerial arts and that you get to try so many different things! I just has to be fate that the 1b class opened up as you decided to go at the same time as your friend. :) 

I've been going to silks class as well, but hasn't been progressing much at all. I still have a problem with the foot lock, which is hindering a lot of other stuff that we work on. But I will not be discouraged! 

How long have you been working on your handstands? 

Sounds like you progress a lot everywhere! :D

Congrats on the breakthroughs and continuing! I'm still working on parkour, if 1 class and signed up for another means "still working." It's amazing what a difference it can make just by having an "exercise" that really excites you. :) Good luck in the open practice!

Thank you! I saw you were going to try parkour, now THAT sounds really exciting. It's definitely something I'm interested in, but not something I see myself starting soon (to keep the focus on aerials). But yes, having a GOAL for my exercise makes all the difference! Now whenever I don't feel like working out I can usually convince myself by going "but I want to do cool things on silks!" haha. How was that first parkour class?!

Hey! Your videos looks great, you seem to have so much fun in them! Totally following you there! (I'm Fridelisan) Just like everyone else here said, 5 weeks is such a short time to notice any difference, but focusing on the feeling rather than just a scale number always seem to be a better way to notice those changes.

So glad you like the aerial arts and that you get to try so many different things! I just has to be fate that the 1b class opened up as you decided to go at the same time as your friend. :)

I've been going to silks class as well, but hasn't been progressing much at all. I still have a problem with the foot lock, which is hindering a lot of other stuff that we work on. But I will not be discouraged! 

How long have you been working on your handstands? 

Sounds like you progress a lot everywhere! :D

Followed you back, thank you! I'm glad everyone can tell I'm having a great time in those videos. xD It's even better in the real class with the instructor and all my fellow students! We're all slowly talking to each other more, it's nice... I'm gonna miss them after this last week! 

Are you enjoying silks, at least? I'm still having issues with doing the foot lock in the air, it's definitely hard to coordinate! You can do it. :) 

I've tried on and off for a while... But I'd given up and literally just started back on attempting handstands last week! I'm enjoying it, but I can also tell this is a skill that's going to take some time to get good at. Thank you! 

Also! I got a vimeo account so I can share my videos with you guys, because I think it's fun to see other people messing up but having a good time. xD I managed to get a tiny sequence of what I can do on the trapeze together. Taking videos actually really helped me self-correct, this was the 3rd attempt after I found a lot of stuff to try to make look nicer in resultant takes... Unsure how to embed, but here is the link. 

The back-bending part is 'bird's nest', and our instructor showed us how to do it while taking one leg off at a time, so I experimented on both sides. 

For the record, the bruises on the backs of my knees are hellish! Phew! Good thing it's so fun. 

• Like 1

manarelle, fridelisan, and starsapart! thanks to all of you! I know it's been a while since I posted, so I'm just gonna recap as much as I can in here.

slow and steady usually sees me getting frustrated/bored and quitting, but this time I've been more successful at convincing myself to stick with it. I'm finally starting to see/feel results, which is all I was REALLY frustrated about for the first 4-6 weeks of changing up my diet and exercise.

Most of my issue has been the process of me working through some...negative ideas about my strength levels compared to others. I'm still in the process of some serious life changes to help get away from that bad thinking. (I had Some Questionable Comments made by well-meaning personal trainers recently, one of whom was currently orienting ME for a new job as a personal trainer (this isn't my first athletic rodeo, I just always still consider myself a beginner haha) and had a bit of a breakdown for about three weeks in mid-January/early February. I've since quit that personal trainer job and talked out a lot of my issues with some close friends and am feeling way, way healthier about this whole thing.) 

It's crazy the societal quirks people have about the perception of exercise and physique! I'm still trying to leave that stuff behind me, because it's not gonna help me reach my goals. I wish it was always as easy as saying 'what they think doesn't matter', but for NOW, at least, that's how I feel! I'm on an upswing. My last two at-home workouts were completed with no panicking, which is the first time in over a month I've gotten through one without immense amounts of dread, huzzah! 

Aerial classes are going amazingly still, and I got to open practice on Monday. I'm definitely not going to practice the day after class again anytime soon though, hah! Some skills I've acquired/am working on so far, with hyperlinks in the text since names differ and so non-aerialists can see: 

-'basic' climbing, I'm doing well with! I have no issue with the basics. I want to start working on making it more efficient and smoother - pulling my legs up higher each time, basically, and not unraveling the silk with every other step, pff!

-Russian climbs, I do not understand at all! I can get the initial step-up but can't climb this way, yet. Gonna work on this one more. 

-candy cane was my BANE the first time we did it - it was the first move I absolutely didn't like and had a hard time doing, I'd never been so sore after a class as I was after my first attempt! we had another class practicing it, and I looked up videos for more tips and then tried in open practice, and I had a lot of 'aha!' moments here. I can spin okay-ish on the way out, it's messy but a lot of fun. (if people like videos of amateurs messing up, I have footage I can upload, hah!) 

-rebecca's split I love, although I'm very messy and not too flexible! we were taught to keep the free leg bent, as in this photo. 

Gazelle (with a knot/on a sling) into hip key, and then into my first drop! I did a drop on each side in the sling, from a hip key (bottom leg bent, fall backwards, catch yourself with that bent knee). I can also get into a basic version of a straddle back, if I'm standing on the ground so I can jump (no foot locks for pretty draping yet!). We've done a little bit of mounting practice with the trapeze as well - I loved dead man's hang! (Unfortunately, that name gives me VERY different images than what we did...we have a terminology issue here!) Birds nest was also surprisingly satisfying to hang in, despite being an easy move! 

I did not anticipate enjoying the trapeze so much! I prefer silks, but the trapeze has been fun for the few moves we learned with it. Even if it broke my toe on day one. :tongue:

We've done others, but these stand out for me right now! I have pics and videos that I could share if people are interested. (Can I upload images directly to the site? I was gonna try but I can't see anything for that... I guess I don't mind uploading to tinypic though, I'm not too concerned about that!)

Nice list of tricks!  There's a lot of sequences out of cat's cradle that lead to and from Rebecca split.... so you've got a nice foundation to play!

I feel like once I figured it out, Russian because my easy, go-to climb.  May it happen similarly for you. :D

Also, if you're using IG anyway, you can just embed directly from there!  Here's a tutorial.

While sharing on a different social media platform I use, I realized that instagram has an online portion to it! So, here's a link to my instagram for some videos and the full version of the photo from my userpic! (And obviously, anyone on IG, feel free to follow me! I'll happily follow back fellow assassins/rebels/whathaveyou on this journey!) ...I need to post more often over there. I'm bad with taking photos, pff!

Followed you!

Good news all around! I signed up for the next round of aerials classes a few days ago. Since I drive in my roommate, who doesn't have a car, we have to find a time that fits both of us, and while I felt ready for this gym's "1B", she wanted to stay in "1A", which we just took. Which is fine! So we both signed up for that, and I figured I'd spend the next 8 weeks just really getting the hang of the fundamentals. : P Well, as it turns out, a 1B opened up at the same time as that 1A! Considering there's only two rooms in that gym, I'm psyched at this great smiling of fate! So now I'm officially leveling up for the next session, which starts March 6th. Two more classes of this one, and one of those is tomorrow! It's going by so fast! Crazy to think I've really only logged 7 hours on silks so far, considering how much I love it...

And today marked the day of my first-ever free-standing handstand! I've been practicing kicking up against the wall since I managed it this week, and today I managed to lean away from the wall and balance for a little while! It had a really great feeling to it when I was standing there...couldn't quite get it back though, haha. 

Another great thing: my wife is officially hooked on Star Trek. Specifically TNG. Hopefully gonna binge-watch a little bit more with her tonight. Gotta balance the nerd and the fitness. 

I fell head over heels in love with silks one month in. :D  I feel you.  As long as you keep working, you're going to improve before you know it!

I also looooooooooove when I get my wife hooked on something I enjoy....... unil I want to watch/play it when she's not home, whoops!

It was incredibly fun! After using mostly silks for a while, the stability of the lyra and trapeze was really noticeable, and I kinda like the 'limitations' of it. From what I've felt so far, it feels like the silks needs more strength and coordination from me (between the two poles) but the lyra/trapeze require more contortion and pain tolerance, and...exactitude? (Less room for error when there's less apparatus!) I'm sure it's influenced by learning more basic things on the lyra/trapeze though. Definitely considering taking apparatus-specific classes for lyra and trapeze sometime now. :)

I've signed up for an open practice tomorrow to keep reviewing everything. I feel like I'm starting to really 'get' Russian climbs and want to extend that to the regular climb, and doing a footlock in the air I had a great breakthrough about with this sub, too! I've got a little list of all the moves we've done so far to run through tomorrow morning, otherwise I know I'll get frazzled the second I touch a silk and forget everything, pff. 

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else taking classes, whether for aerials or something else? How long?

The bolded part is accurate as far as I can tell.  Every aerialist I have talked to would probably agree that the vertical apparatus like silks takes more strength, while lyra in particular is a great place to showcase flexibility...... also it hurts way more. :D

As for the bruises at the backs of your knees..... the bruising will lessen a bit with exposure, though that likely doesn't help you right now. ;)

And as for classes, I'm still taking my studio's advanced fabric class and contemplating going to exclusively private lessons....... hnnnnnnnng tough choices.

Woot, I caught up!!!!  Looks like you finished up well.  Will you be doing the next challenge?

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire