• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Meditation Chamber

On 4/8/2016 at 1:49 PM, Tkal said:

Any word of wisdom about walking meditation?

I converted the "count your breaths" of mindfulness practice into "count your steps" while I was recovering from surgery some months ago, and then I discovered that there was nothing new in it

Personally I find it much more powerful to recenter and calm myself than more static forms

I'm late with this but I was doing the following walking mediation from Tony Robbins.

http://sourcesofinsight.com/start-your-day-like-tony-robbins/

I really need to get back into doing this again. It gave me much better focus for the rest of the day whenever I would do it.

On 8/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, StarRuby said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I posted the song in the spoilers area if you want to hear it! The whole episode is pretty beautiful, though, and in the context of everything that's happened it leaves a pretty good impact. Also, you get the song stuck in your head. 

I liked that song D: I will have to check out the rest of the show.

@Tkal(also just realized you posed the question a few months ago)

As for the walking meditation I like to focus on how my body is moving with each step from posture to stride.

I think even taking a normal walk while practicing being mindful would be beneficial.

So, coloring? @The Shogun recommended a coloring for meditation convo and I am all about that biz! It took me a little while to come around, cause snooty art major, but hey yo, that's some fine time spent. If anything, I find myself completetly loosing track of time while I'm doing it! Perfect for meditation. As soon as a thought surfaces, I can fade it into whatever segment I'm working on.

Any other coloring meditation folks out there? What's your experience? What kind of materials do you use?? Also... pictures please :) 

• Like 1

I've been using Headspace pretty frequently, and man, what a difference. Plus, Andi's voice is just so soothing and....well, British.

For me, the big revelation with meditation was when Andi said something along the lines of "watch each breath with active curiosity." I'd been having trouble with counting breaths and getting too focused on the counting. When I realized, as sarakingdom notes, that meditation is a kata for the mind, it really changed how I approached it. I sort of sat back, watching each breath come and being really intent about it. Like, "Oh, that was interesting, what will the next one be like? I see, a little deeper on that one, cool." It seems ridiculous to write it out, but it really helped my focus.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2016 at 0:51 PM, sarakingdom said:

So, um... is this a valid meditation, and if not, who can we talk to about a special dispensation?

(Pretty darned NSFW.)

I read this thread through for the first time the day after the election, and I can only say: thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ICB said:

I read this thread through for the first time the day after the election, and I can only say: thank you, thank you, thank you.

Man, thanks for the reminder.  That's surprisingly good today.

On 31/10/2016 at 9:19 PM, RedStone said:

So, coloring? @The Shogun recommended a coloring for meditation convo and I am all about that biz! It took me a little while to come around, cause snooty art major, but hey yo, that's some fine time spent. If anything, I find myself completetly loosing track of time while I'm doing it! Perfect for meditation. As soon as a thought surfaces, I can fade it into whatever segment I'm working on.

Any other coloring meditation folks out there? What's your experience? What kind of materials do you use?? Also... pictures please :) 

I supposedly replied to this a long time ago. Today I found out I read it but replied to it mentally only.

I'm all about coloring meditation, too! You know I'm an elementary school teacher, and I don't always have the time to sit down and meditate, but I've turned to some other ways of mindfulness and meditation: coloring books, assignments, drawings and pictures my students need to do (I always make an extra copy for myself) and according to my students I draw really good... but I don't think I'll trust their advice, they draw like s#!t. =D Sadly, I don't have access to many adult coloring books in the market (HAVE YOU SEEN THE DOCTOR WHO ONE!? IF YOU'VE GOT IT, I'LL HATE YOU AND MURDER YOUR CHILDREN!) so I usually print mandalas and stuff like that from the office. If they ask about it all I have to say is "Hey! it's for the children!". It helps that the psychologist of the school also colors for fun.

I attended a zazen workshop in my city's zen center, and I want to give a workshop about it in my school so maybe I can convince the principal to let us use a classroom as meditation room? =D what do you guys think?

• Like 3

I love the idea of coloring as meditation, even if I can't quite wrap my head around it having quite the same benefits.  (Soothing, yes.  I mean the sort they study.)  But I'm up for it.  Also, I may need to get the Doctor Who coloring book, so bring it on, my friend. 

A workshop sounds awesome.  I wonder if real zazen might not be a little formal for a school setting.  It's very strict, in terms of posture and so on.  If you're thinking of including the children, I think there are trial programs for school children out there, and some discussion of how it benefits kids.  (And given the state of things where you are, I bet you could make a very good case for that workshop.)

This looks like a program aimed at introducing meditation to school children.  Maybe it'll have some things you can use to convince your school.

• Like 2

Just now, sarakingdom said:

I love the idea of coloring as meditation, even if I can't quite wrap my head around it having quite the same benefits.  (Soothing, yes.  I mean the sort they study.)  But I'm up for it.  Also, I may need to get the Doctor Who coloring book, so bring it on, my friend. 

I'm going to send my @SevenFootGeek to "accidentally" break your coloring hand. Be warned. 

Also, helluva helpful reply! how come you're not a GL yet? You're the closest thing to what GL actually means ever since @Kishi stole the TARDIS that allows him to be anywhere in time and space in the forums.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

I'm going to send my @SevenFootGeek to "accidentally" break your coloring hand. Be warned.

No problem.  I use @RisenPhoenix 's left hand to color with.

11 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

Also, helluva helpful reply! how come you're not a GL yet?

Because that would be a disaster.  Here, let me distract you with a better link on that organization's free online classroom teaching materials.  They also have some videos of sample workshops, although mostly with older kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Shogun said:

(HAVE YOU SEEN THE DOCTOR WHO ONE!? IF YOU'VE GOT IT, I'LL HATE YOU AND MURDER YOUR CHILDREN!)

I HAVE seen it! But do not have it. I am safe.

30 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I approach it as a fade to color exercise! I'm super visual to begin with, and tend to visualize my thoughts anyway so you can probably see where I'm going with this ;) it helps me if I have a small group of colors picked out already so I don't have to make any thoughtful decisions, but while I'm coloring I work on dissolving the visual image of my thoughts into the colors. This is an interesting bridge for me since most of my meditation practice is worked into physical Kung Fu, like cleansing smoke during forms or tar and clouds. I really haven't had a stationary practice in many years so this has been an unexpected surprise lol ...but there is a physical act coinciding with mental exercise so I wouldn't call it totally inactive.

I have tried some different forms of meditation over the past couple years and all of them seem to have helped but I was able to purchase a year of Headspace at a discount and it seems to working better than most.  I don't know if I am using more because I paid for it but I feel that I am getting more moments of calmness for a longer time than I have with the other programs I have tried.

I have tried some different forms of meditation over the past couple years and all of them seem to have helped but I was able to purchase a year of Headspace at a discount and it seems to working better than most.  I don't know if I am using more because I paid for it but I feel that I am getting more moments of calmness for a longer time than I have with the other programs I have tried.

I'm also a huge fan of headspace, but it's hard to blanket recommend because it is a bit expensive. Have you tried the running meditation segment? It's my favorite.

I'm also a huge fan of headspace, but it's hard to blanket recommend because it is a bit expensive. Have you tried the running meditation segment? It's my favorite.

That voice is worth it. It's magical like@sevenfootgeek 's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That voice is worth it. It's magical like@sevenfootgeek 's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if I ever met Andy in person it would be really weird for me after years and years (I think I first started listening to his meditation guides in 2011?) of hearing him whisper in my ears.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 7:23 AM, ICB said:

I haven't tried the running mediation segment yet.  I'm still on my first thirty days but I will check it out.

Hey fellow Monks! I am new to the whole Nerd Fitness movement, but I do love me some meditation! I wanted to recommend this app for you guys, too: The Insight Timer. This app is FANTASTIC. It has a ton of guided meditations, a sweet timer, and lots of community groups. It's definitely worth checking out. 

• Like 1

I've been using the Calm app for a while to do some freestyle meditation.  There are rain sounds.  It's a good.

Does anyone have good resources for moving meditation?

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 6:08 PM, Chen Wangting said:

Is anyone here using a meditation cushion? Is better to use one? What are the advantages?

I use one!!!! I fucking love it! It allowed it to be more comfortable and focus less on my body (which may be against your goal) and more on my mind.

On 14.3.2017 at 11:28 PM, The Shogun said:

I use one!!!! I fucking love it! It allowed it to be more comfortable and focus less on my body (which may be against your goal) and more on my mind.

Good to hear. I haven't meditated in months. But i'm about to get my stuff sorted and to respawn. Then i'm going to pick up meditation as well again.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, The Shogun said:

I tried to meditate just sitting on the edge of the couch or on the floor, and it just wasn't the same. Simple meditation cushion tilts my hips and gives me just the right clearance over folded legs. A++ 12/10 would recommend

• Like 2

On February 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM, sarakingdom said:

So I've posted this before, in response to people's questions in threads, but I should probably put it here, too.  The thing that made meditation click for me was realizing that meditation actually is a kata, but for the brain instead of the body.  (It really literally is.  Japan transmits a lot of traditional knowledge and arts via kata, not just martial arts, and that's how Japanese meditation traditions teach it.)  Meditation is a practice in the same way that, say, aikido is a practice, where you do hundreds of repetitions over months or years, to develop the skill you're working on.  Your brain might not calm down during the meditation.  It may not feel relaxing.  And I think that's really frustrating for people who think that meditation is meant to be a relaxation period in their day, and feel like they're failing at it if their mind doesn't calm down.  We sort of talk about meditation like it's, "Clear your mind of thoughts, and then you can start meditation," but that feels backwards to me, because what it's teaching you is how to clear your mind of thoughts.  If you knew how to do that, you wouldn't need it.  Meditation is the practice of taking your uncontrolled thoughts and sitting them down in the corner, over and over again, so that when you have to use the technique in real life, it feels natural.  Like your martial arts practice, some days are going to freaking suck and you'll mess up every move, and some days you'll just be on fire, but you just go to the practice and finish it.

So, you know, meditation: it doesn't have to feel good or make you calm while you're doing it.  And maybe don't expect the black belt performance of yourself when you're a white belt.

Most focus meditation, in my experience, feels a lot like the feeling you develop after a while on the mat.  There's a sort of very calm, focused attentiveness and awareness you develop on the mat, and can start slipping into out of habit when you get into the dojo.  I find the feeling a lot like that.  Not surprising, probably, because meditation goes back a long way with martial arts, so that people could develop those mindsets.  When you start hearing people talk about the martial arts mindsets like mushin, zanshin, shoshin, fudoshin, you're talking about that shared language and practice of meditation and martial arts.  So I think martial artists have another frame of reference for getting the feel of meditation.  But learning to do that outside the dojo is hard.

All of this was really helpful! Especially the part about how it's often discussed as if meditation is what starts ONCE you've cleared your mind. I've tried meditating before just to re-set my timer every time a thought entered my head. This paradigm sounds much more self-accepting.

• Like 2