• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Meditation Chamber

So there was talk last challenge about maybe doing a meditation mini challenge... people still interested? I have a few ideas for one if anyone wants to (unless any of the guild leaders already have plans) 

• Like 2

We can definitely set it up as a mini if people would prefer that. Otherwise, we do have the chamber here and we could totally use it as a staging area for the whole thing.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:47 PM, Toshimi said:

So there was talk last challenge about maybe doing a meditation mini challenge... people still interested? I have a few ideas for one if anyone wants to (unless any of the guild leaders already have plans) 

Count me in! Headspace just came out with a new daily mini meditation thing.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:21 PM, Shotokan said:

Count me in! Headspace just came out with a new daily mini meditation thing.

Just saw that. What's that all about?

8 hours ago, Machete said:

Just saw that. What's that all about?

It seems to be random sessions from all the packs.  I like it because I can select short times to get at least some meditation in when I don't have 10 minutes or more. 

Anything to encourage more regular meditation is good in my book.

I got clear direction from my Roshi at zen last weekend. I confessed that I had not been sitting regularly. He smiled and said that Buddhists did not give absolution of sins. In our one-on-one talk he said that my not being consistent is why I'm not seeing any progress. Just like with martial arts, you have to put in the time to see real change. That means getting in some meditation every day. More is better of course.

In the Rinzai Zen tradition, more does not have to mean more seated meditation. He said to take advantage of ALL opportunities. Practice mindfulness when walking, driving, doing the dishes, chopping vegetables. Any task that does not demand mental work can be more time to practice mindfulness. The goal is to maintain that state 24/7. No change in internal state regardless of the bad drivers around you, annoying people at work or attackers coming at you in the dojo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

In the Rinzai Zen tradition, more does not have to mean more seated meditation. He said to take advantage of ALL opportunities. Practice mindfulness when walking, driving, doing the dishes, chopping vegetables. Any task that does not demand mental work can be more time to practice mindfulness. The goal is to maintain that state 24/7.

I wish I were better at understanding how active mindfulness worked, partly to get more practice and partly because attention is an issue, and mindfulness would probably help.

I would miss podcasts, though. :) 

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I wish I were better at understanding how active mindfulness worked, partly to get more practice and partly because attention is an issue, and mindfulness would probably help.

It just has to be practiced but when it happens, you have to recognize it.  Are there times when you are so focused and deep into doing something that you don't notice anything else around you?  You are always going to have distractions but letting them come and go, without focusing on them, then continuing on with what you were doing is how I understand it.  

Is anyone still meditating?  I have 307 Headspace sessions in since almost a year ago and 217 in row now although most of my sessions are 3, 5 or 10 minutes.  I feel it does help me but I wish they had some more focused training.

• Like 1

Yup! Every night before I go to bed. It's to the point where if I lay down without doing so, I feel wrong.

Mostly all I've been doing has been grounding myself in the moment and focusing on my breathing... and not judging myself when I yawn in the middle of it. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Is anyone still meditating?  I have 307 Headspace sessions in since almost a year ago and 217 in row now although most of my sessions are 3, 5 or 10 minutes.  I feel it does help me but I wish they had some more focused training.

Yep, trying to do 35 mins of shamatha/day, but 5 mins/day at a minimum.  Working up to an hour is going to be one of my future challenges.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jigme said:

Yep, trying to do 35 mins of shamatha/day, but 5 mins/day at a minimum.  Working up to an hour is going to be one of my future challenges.

35 minutes a day? O_O I'm lucky if I can manage 2....

I'm working on building a good meditation habit for this challenge. I'm aiming for 10-15 minutes at a time. I love it when I can actually feel my body fade because my attention is so focused on my breath. :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

I'm working on building a good meditation habit for this challenge. I'm aiming for 10-15 minutes at a time. I love it when I can actually feel my body fade because my attention is so focused on my breath. :) 

I notice a real cognitive difference with 10-15 minutes. I just miss more days when I go over 5.

• Like 3

hey yall, been working on some yoga nidra, and was wondering what you all might think of it in terms of meditation.  Here's the guidance thing I've been using.  https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-nidra-sleep  I have been building better meditation habits with it, and they helped me on my 24 hour call.  Will experiment more with future calls to determine if it is helpful.  

Well, without being able to listen to it here at work, it looks like a guided meditation that is designed to help sleep quality. I'm not expert on it, but I don't see why it wouldn't count.

Hi everyone, I just came across a fascinating discussion of meditation and control of mental effort: Rethinking Discipline by Scott Young. He describes his experience of a 10-day silent meditation retreat and discusses how those skills might be applied to everyday situations.

• Like 2

I've been weaving lately,  making straps and trim for my SCA friends, and as largesse (gifts to the society,  so then royals and barons, etc can be generous without bankrupting themselves). Warping the loom takes a lot of mind space, but the weaving itself doesnt. 

I'm going to try short stints of mindful weaving, really focusing on what I'm doing without watching a show at the same time.

Anyone else working on a mindful craft?

20190316_213805.jpg

20190310_120432.jpg

16 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

I'm going to try short stints of mindful weaving, really focusing on what I'm doing without watching a show at the same time.

Anyone else working on a mindful craft?

I love your weaving!

I have been doing a lot of spinning. That takes even less mental effort than weaving.

I've tried doing meditation at the same time as spinning. Not sure yet how that is working. I know that spinning is a great way to calm down my brain when I'm agitated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I love your weaving!

I have been doing a lot of spinning. That takes even less mental effort than weaving.

I've tried doing meditation at the same time as spinning. Not sure yet how that is working. I know that spinning is a great way to calm down my brain when I'm agitated.

Nice!  I'd like to get back to spinning someday. 

I hadn't thought about using crafting as a mindfulness thing, but it makes sense. Just found my spinning stuff last night while going through boxes, might have to give it a try. 

• Like 1