• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Meditation Chamber

On 2/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, sarakingdom said:

Meditation is the practice of taking your uncontrolled thoughts and sitting them down in the corner, over and over again, so that when you have to use the technique in real life, it feels natural.

Oh my gosh, this is amazingly awesome! I'm going to try this as part of my next challenge along with Mussar. :)

Thanks!

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, Tzippi Longstockings said:

I've been weaving lately,  making straps and trim for my SCA friends, and as largesse (gifts to the society,  so then royals and barons, etc can be generous without bankrupting themselves). Warping the loom takes a lot of mind space, but the weaving itself doesnt. 

I'm going to try short stints of mindful weaving, really focusing on what I'm doing without watching a show at the same time.

Anyone else working on a mindful craft?

20190316_213805.jpg

20190310_120432.jpg

Hi, that is really cool!

I've thought about trying weaving, but have no idea where to start. What loom do you use? Any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

19 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Hi, that is really cool!

I've thought about trying weaving, but have no idea where to start. What loom do you use? Any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Structo 4-harness table loom. I also have a floor loom, but that is in pieces in the garage waiting to be refinished.

118abb944e2b995f03fd4b6b52874fc2.jpg

What to get depends on how much space you have and what kinds of things you might want to make. If you want to make bands like @Tzippi Longstockings, you want an inkle loom or just a set of cards for card weaving. A small loom like the one above will let you make scarves, table runners and narrow fabrics. If you want to make wider fabric for clothing or curtains, you would need a floor loom or a warp-weighted loom.

You can start weaving with a set of sticks and a couple of belts to put together a backstrap loom. Investing more money gives you easier control of the weaving. The number of harnesses limits how fancy the woven pattern in the cloth can be. Any loom can do a simple over-under weave (called tabby). As you add more harnesses you can make twills and fancier patterns in the cloth. You can do a lot with just a simple frame loom. https://www.theweavingloom.com/beginners-guide-to-weaving/ has pictures and suggestions.

My recommendation is to take a class through your local fiber group or community ed program. That will let you try out one or more styles without having to commit. Definitely take a class before purchasing a large floor loom. You want to see how easy it is to go through the whole process of set-up and weaving on different brands of floor looms. Much like test driving a car, but lots more fun.

• Thanks 1