• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

4 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

What time are you trying to get up?  Do you need an earlier bed time?  For eating - from what I recall, the recommendation to try was a small snack, primarily protein/fat.  Again, some plain gelatin in an herbal tea, or some almonds, etc. 

Hmm, something went wrong there. Somehow I can't type anything below that quote.

What I wanted to say is: currently, I'm setting my alarm for 7 am, but for starters I'd be happy with anything between 6 am and 8 am (in case 7 am appears to be in the middle of a sleep cycle or something).

On 1/19/2017 at 0:42 PM, Huon said:

Hmm, something went wrong there. Somehow I can't type anything below that quote.

What I wanted to say is: currently, I'm setting my alarm for 7 am, but for starters I'd be happy with anything between 6 am and 8 am (in case 7 am appears to be in the middle of a sleep cycle or something).

Yeah, I occasionally have that issue with reply boxes - sometimes I can close the window and come back, and when clicking reply, it's saved a draft that I can then edit. 

My last thought is - do you need to go to bed earlier if 7 am is your target (or 6)?  I know it's not always possible due to work or studies, but something else to try if the opportunity is there.

My current issue is that I'm waking up at 5 ish regardless of bed time - I tend to be in by midnight these days (which is an improvement, but needs to be earlier).  I do not feel like getting up then at all, but end up groggy if I wait it out (also shooting for 7 ish).  At some point, I'm just going to have to start my day early.  >.<   

On 1/19/2017 at 11:29 AM, ChrisWithaStick said:

What time are you trying to get up?  Do you need an earlier bed time?  For eating - from what I recall, the recommendation to try was a small snack, primarily protein/fat.  Again, some plain gelatin in an herbal tea, or some almonds, etc. 

Yeah - start with the screen time and blue light.  Can you do any studying using text books, or practice exercises with pen & paper instead? 

I've not tried spring rods.  I suppose it depends on if there is a place for them.  For sleep masks - I hadn't thought of that before.  Most commentary has been they either need eye cups (no pressure on the eye lid - which they have now) or knocking them off at night (I do that).  The few times I've woke up with one on it didn't bother me. 

Do the lemon ginger or lemonade have sugar in them?  Sugary drinks make me restless these days, especially if within a couple of hours of bed time (didn't when I was younger, probably changes in metabolism).

Welcome!  I hope at least some of it helps.  You might page back through this thread - different people have been working on different issues, so you might see something that stands out to you. 

Ooh I will parse through this thread too--there may be good tips that can help me with things I already know are problematic.  Having someone to bounce ideas with is really helpful, and all your suggestions are either good things to try or at the very least think about.  

I try to get up at around 6:30 AM, so I can leave by 7:30.  My phone's Bedtime app is set for 8 hours, so I try to be in bed between 10 and 10:30.  I'm wondering if any of it might be psychological--school is depressing, so I get depressing and have a harder time waking up.  A protein/fat snack before bed sounds great; sometimes I think I eat dinner too late, so I might still be a little funky before bed.  I've never heard of putting gelatin in tea before!

I could try printing out some exercises.  Unfortunately pretty much everything we do at school is electronic; all our tests are done with online platforms, so that's what I have to use to practice.  I'm hoping to do chartwork at night, which would be just pen and paper work with screens off to the side playing music.

My window is set a little into the wall, so it has these small walls on either side where I could hypothetically put a curtain rod.  I did notice that I think sound is a big kicker for me.  I can fall asleep with the lights on, but intermittent noises drive me crazy.  Rain sounds are okay because they're consistent and have a rhythm, but sirens, people snoring, people moving around wake me up really fast.  The obvious solution is ear plugs, but then I don't know how to get an alarm to work around those.

No sugar as far as I know, but I'll double check.  I try to save sugar drinks only for special occasions, or if I make lemonade I do it no later than 7 PM.  

On 21-1-2017 at 8:19 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

Yeah, I occasionally have that issue with reply boxes - sometimes I can close the window and come back, and when clicking reply, it's saved a draft that I can then edit. 

My last thought is - do you need to go to bed earlier if 7 am is your target (or 6)?  I know it's not always possible due to work or studies, but something else to try if the opportunity is there.

My current issue is that I'm waking up at 5 ish regardless of bed time - I tend to be in by midnight these days (which is an improvement, but needs to be earlier).  I do not feel like getting up then at all, but end up groggy if I wait it out (also shooting for 7 ish).  At some point, I'm just going to have to start my day early.  >.<   

Ah, I'll remember that in case this reply issue comes up again!

I work from home at the moment, so I'm pretty free in managing my time. I'm currently trying the eating-more-before-going-to-bed thing for a few days to see if it makes any noticeable difference, but if it doesn't I could try going to bed earlier.

As for your own issue, perhaps you could plan to do something early in the morning that you can look forward to? I always find myself waking up rather early when I go camping for vacation (that's what's happens when you sleep on a crappy bed in a tent :P), but I never have any trouble getting out of bed at those times because - since it's a vacation - I'm looking forward to whatever I'm going to do that day.

Came across this article today and it sounds like something that I'll start doing. Maybe it will help some of my fellow monks, too.

At the first sign of getting sleepy at night, I’d get ready for bed and make a deal with myself like, “I’ll go lay down and honestly try to sleep for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes I can’t sleep, then I can [insert thing you’d like to do].”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ICB said:

Came across this article today and it sounds like something that I'll start doing. Maybe it will help some of my fellow monks, too.

Christ, I'd be going to bed at 4pm.  And again at 6pm.

6hr 55 min Wed/Thurs and 6hr 53min last night.  Still oversleeping the alarm badly, thinking I need a better alarm tone.  I was using the Imperial March, but the wife was not a fan.

Anybody else use an Android decide and Zedge for alarm tones that can recommend a nice difficult to sleep through one?

3/24

Sleep:   6 hours 53 minutes, overslept the alarm by almost an hour again.

3/25

Sleep:  7 hours 47 minutes, Sat no alarm to oversleep

3/26

Sleep:  8 hours 48 minutes, Sunday no alarm

3/27

Sleep:  6 hours 31 minutes, overslept the alarm (intentional snooze buttoning) by 47 minutes.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:46 PM, Treva said:

have invested in blackout curtains.  Will report back if sleep improves.

They helped me.  I need another set though - the street light is blocked out, but my neighbor's house is reflecting a lot (light blue, and only about 15' away). 

10 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

3/30 6 hours 30 minutes, overslept by almost an hour thanks to snooze buttoning.

It looks like you've had a decent run of 6.5-7 hours.  Sleeping arrangements changed/improved?  I've been relatively absent, so need to be catching up. 

I've been cycling between decent bed times and late night reading again.  I'm not getting good solid sleep though, thanks to the cat.  I'm not at the point of shutting him out yet, but may consider it.  He's not being playful, just moves around a little, and also likes to get up at sunrise, and tell me all about it. 

It looks like you've had a decent run of 6.5-7 hours.  Sleeping arrangements changed/improved?  I've been relatively absent, so need to be catching up.

Kinda sorta not really... SquirrelKing and I are back to alternating who sleeps on the couch nightly, at least until SWMBO banishes me back to said couch for snoring.

Sent from the dragon's lair

2 nights in with blackout curtains.  Sleep has been AMAZING, but could be placebo effect.  Didn't realize how much light my shades still let in until I could see how much was coming in over my curtains.  Blocks some sound too, which is great for living in the city.  Will follow up throughout the week.

• Like 3

3/30

Sleep:  6 hr 30 minutes, missed alarm by 52 minutes - couch night

3/31

Sleep:  6hr 3 minutes, missed alarm by 30 minutes - bed night

4/1

Sleep: 10 hr 6 min, Sat no alarm - couch night

4/2

Sleep: Negligible - mix bed and couch night

4/3

Sleep:  7 hours 19 minutes, overslept the alarm by an hour and four minutes, almost made myself late for work. - couch night

4 hours ago, Treva said:

2 nights in with blackout curtains.  Sleep has been AMAZING, but could be placebo effect.  Didn't realize how much light my shades still let in until I could see how much was coming in over my curtains.  Blocks some sound too, which is great for living in the city.  Will follow up throughout the week.

Blackout curtains are great.  Eye masks are also helpful, if you're ok with pressure on your face.

Sleep has been sporadically good and bad.  Thursday and Friday I was in bed early, and slept well.  Saturday I imbibed a little more than I should have, and slept pretty crappy.  Sunday was in bed at a no-so-great hour. 

5 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

3/30

Sleep:  6 hr 30 minutes, missed alarm by 52 minutes - couch night.....

Sleep:  7 hours 19 minutes, overslept the alarm by an hour and four minutes, almost made myself late for work. - couch night

You seem to be consistently getting more 6+ hour nights than previously.  Has it made a difference?  Getting decent quality even with the couch nights?

Sleep has been sporadically good and bad.  Thursday and Friday I was in bed early, and slept well.  Saturday I imbibed a little more than I should have, and slept pretty crappy.  Sunday was in bed at a no-so-great hour. 

You seem to be consistently getting more 6+ hour nights than previously.  Has it made a difference?  Getting decent quality even with the couch nights?

Seems like it's been helping, at least with impulse stress eating during the day, however I really need to quit oversleeping the alarm and putting myself into a time crunch every morning.

Sent from the dragon's lair