• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

I go through periods where, for no good reason, I wake up after four-five hours of sleep and then cannot fall back asleep for another couple of hours, at least. I feel like an absolute wreck the next day. It seems to be connected to stress, but like, normal people stress, nothing extravagant: a deadline at work, an argument with the significant other - or sometimes, nothing at all. The less sleep I get, the more stress affects me, so it’s easy to get into a downward spiral. The funny thing is, I am a pro at stress handling while awake, but my semiconscious sleep-deprived brain just likes to do whatever.

After trying all the usual options, going to a sleep study, etc, I’ve been trying pharmaceutical solutions, i.e. antianxiety meds, good ole sedatives, etc., with varying luck. This is definitely something to talk to your doctor about, if you wanna go that route, since everyone’s reactions to stuff can vary widely.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 10:31 PM, Jigme said:

After trying all the usual options, going to a sleep study, etc, I’ve been trying pharmaceutical solutions, i.e. antianxiety meds, good ole sedatives, etc., with varying luck. This is definitely something to talk to your doctor about, if you wanna go that route, since everyone’s reactions to stuff can vary widely. 

I've recently been given some YouTube links to medical talks that link sleep issues to low vitamin D and secondarily B. So that's a thing to try.

I've found that having an audiobook playing at very low volume all night is useful for stuff like that. It needs to be that sweet spot between just loud enough to hear, low enough to sleep through, and so low that moving in the bed means you can't hear it. Right about white noise level, or just barely above. It's a good combination of overriding my churning sleep-deprived thoughts with something engaging but unrelated, and encouraging me to stay still to make it easier to drift off again.

Brothers und sisters of ze black ribbon society, I know zer standard advice is not to do anyzhing in bed except sleep and vossname, but ve shall ignore zhat now, yes? Because zer sleep only happens if vun gets into zer bed in ze first place.

Vhat can be done in zer bed to convince vun to get into it in ze first place? Reading, jah, und ze audiobooks. Vhat else?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 8:31 PM, Jigme said:

It seems to be connected to stress, but like, normal people stress, nothing extravagant: a deadline at work, an argument with the significant other - or sometimes, nothing at all.

I can empathize with this.  I'm getting better about not ruminating on things as I fall asleep, but I'll cycle through waking up at 3 am and when that happens my brain cycles through all-the-things, especially the ones related to issues at work.  I've found in the past (and now remember I should be doing it again) that a mantram practice can help.  Basically it gives you something to bring your brain back to over and over as needed - it's not really meditation, but it's related (Eknath Easwaran writes about it and it's use in his book, 'Meditation' - which is also a pretty good primer on the title subject). 

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Vhat can be done in zer bed to convince vun to get into it in ze first place? Reading, jah, und ze audiobooks. Vhat else?

One of the difficult questions...

Those are pretty much it for me, and actually, I don't do listen to audiobooks too much as they can actually activate my brain in a way reading doesn't, and I can't tune it out.  Music I don't have a problem with, oddly.  Anyway, you kind of covered the big 4 (and left off the 5th - watch TV).  I suppose you could look at it as routine to develop - if you have a meditation practice, maybe tack on a sleep-type meditation (or mantram), or a yoga nidra or yoga for sleep practice (probably all kinds of youtube and guided audio for the latter two) .  Make it a 'something to do to improve sleep' that you can track in a challenge setting?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:00 PM, sarakingdom said:

The thing you mentioned that's not sleep, tends to be pretty relaxing and make the participants sleepy. :)

I read in my bed, an e-reader without blue light, and then I meditate. Meditating helps my brain relax and go to sleep mode.

• Like 2

I am working on sleeping better, but this often involves helping a small human (18 months, past larval stage, but still quite small and squishy) sleep. No real goals or anything, just chiming in to remind myself to read through all this later.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2018 at 11:00 PM, sarakingdom said:

Ah, soft and fluffy pillows that I like, sheets I find super comfortable.  Multiple swords placed around bed for easy access and reinforcing that bed is a safe place.  I like summarizing my day in bed with my tracker or in my journal.  I keep my Sleepy lotion by my bed and use it to massage out my muscles and back to help me sleep better.  I also continue to swear by nidra yoga like a zealot.  

If I'm having a really bad go of it, I sleep on the floor for a bit to remind myself why my bed exists.  

But you've been here longer than I have and have probably tried all these anyways.  XD

On 3/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, Treva said:

Multiple swords placed around bed for easy access

I WANT SWORDS AROUND MY BED.

IllegalDimIberianchiffchaff.webp

I seem to have a sleep problem most people don't. I'm very ADD, and some days I can't break focus to actually physically go to bed.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, Treva said:

Multiple swords placed around bed for easy access and reinforcing that bed is a safe place

I am glad I'm not the only one.  I typically have a bokken nearby, or a wooden kodachi.  I want another bokken or three now.  No real reason, except bokken.  Kodachi are probably more practical, though.  (watch the ending of Twilight Samurai, for a practical demonstration of why- actually, watch the whole movie, because it's great). 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, Treva said:

my Sleepy lotion

Do elaborate, please.  Just something good for sore muscles, so you sleep better, or is it somehow supportive of sleep, like some 'sleepy time' teas?

On 3/18/2019 at 11:46 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

I am glad I'm not the only one.  I typically have a bokken nearby, or a wooden kodachi.  I want another bokken or three now. 

Please put up a challenge. I need cat pictures and weapons.