• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

I vent to banish the vakefulness at two und a quarter hours before the vitching hour.  (21:45 was when I finished loading the dishwasher and laid down) The restlessness vould not leave me to rest.  The sleep detector could not effen determine I vas trying to sleep until tventy minutes before the vitching hour.  Something must be done.  I shall begin the melatonin test early.  I need sleep.

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I, too, hate the mask.  But I do sleep more soundly, it cannot be denied.  It's hard to get the little bits of light out.  So I am upgrading to the latest technology, vhich is probably made by dwarfs or something, in hopes that it is less hateful.

So, the latest fashion for dwarfs is chain-mail and leather, as is their technical fabric, although it's said the micro mail is comfy and doesn't chafe... Or do you just mean the mask with cups over the eyes instead of flat?

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Perhaps again the earplugs, ja?  Or, failing that, a funny sign in the kitchen about how planning heists there is likely to be overheard and also you vill vant your cut, so it's best if they scheme elsevhere.  People enjoy the funny signs, there are many funny signs back in Ubervald.

Or a sign decrying an extra hour of house duty for every half hour you can't sleep? :)

So - I may have to make an allowance on the 'in bed by 11' on class nights.  I don't get home until after 10, and while I can snack a bit before, I do like to have some dinner after, and the cat needs some play time so he'll let me be later.  We'll say in bed an lights off by midnight at the latest on Wednesdays. 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

So, the latest fashion for dwarfs is chain-mail and leather, as is their technical fabric, although it's said the micro mail is comfy and doesn't chafe... Or do you just mean the mask with cups over the eyes instead of flat?

Vell, that is vhat I meant, but now I vant micro-mail sleeping garments.

• Like 1

6hr 59min total - 6hr 32min actual sleep.  I vas in bed before 22:00 but like alvays could not banish the vakefulness.  I had taken 10mg of melatonin app half an hour before bed, and a few doses of something that I can only legally partake off in Amsterdam or California with a medical card.  (It makes me sleepy.)  Given all of this, of course, I overslept and missed my vorkout vindow.  I'll have to try and squeeze something in while I'm vorking.

14 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

6hr 59min total - 6hr 32min actual sleep.  I vas in bed before 22:00 but like alvays could not banish the vakefulness.  I had taken 10mg of melatonin app half an hour before bed, and a few doses of something that I can only legally partake off in Amsterdam or California with a medical card.  (It makes me sleepy.)  Given all of this, of course, I overslept and missed my vorkout vindow.  I'll have to try and squeeze something in while I'm vorking.

Unless there is something out there I'm not aware of (which is 100% probable), if that substance sometimes has a nickname for unwanted plants - it's completely legal, without a script, in Colorado, Washington (where I reside), I think Oregon, and an initiative coming up in Cali (I'm just waiting for the Federal Court case when someone crosses state lines - it should be interesting).

Regardless - I believe this passage is appropriate to your missing your morning workout:

Lord Vetinari lay on a narrow bed.  His face looked pale, but he seemed to be sleeping peacefully.  "He's not woken up at all?" said William.

"No.  I look in on him every fifteen minutes or tho.  It can be like that.  Sometimeth the body just says: thleep."

"I heard he hardly ever sleeps," said William.

"Maybe he's taking the opportunity," said Igor....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Unless there is something out there I'm not aware of (which is 100% probable), if that substance sometimes has a nickname for unwanted plants - it's completely legal, without a script, in Colorado, Washington (where I reside), I think Oregon, and an initiative coming up in Cali (I'm just waiting for the Federal Court case when someone crosses state lines - it should be interesting).

Regardless - I believe this passage is appropriate to your missing your morning workout:

Lord Vetinari lay on a narrow bed.  His face looked pale, but he seemed to be sleeping peacefully.  "He's not woken up at all?" said William.

"No.  I look in on him every fifteen minutes or tho.  It can be like that.  Sometimeth the body just says: thleep."

"I heard he hardly ever sleeps," said William.

"Maybe he's taking the opportunity," said Igor....

Oh, you were on the money.  I just happen to live in Kentucky.

I'm telling you, man, sleep is a good trade for working out. It really, really is. Remember, training and sleep are two sides of the same coin - one induces adaptation, the other facilitates adaptation. You can't get what you want with only half a coin - you either exceed your ability to recover, or you never get the adaptation. You've been running at deficit for at least a month that we've seen. So, you're overdue for facilitation, and your body is forcing you to take what you need to do what you've been telling it to do.

It's okay. Take your sleep. You're with the Druids now, so take your time to get your life right and stab some people if it means getting more shut-eye. (find peace through violence). The training will still be there when all's said and done.

• Like 1

Veek Vun Meeting of the Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance

Ladies und gentlemen, affix your black ribbons and pour your mug of cocoa, please.  I shall begin the meeting by reading a passage in honor of the founder of the League of Temperance.

It was a small public room over a shop in Bonk and, since it belonged to everybody, it looked as though it didn't belong to anyone.  There was dust in the corners, and the chairs that were currently arranged in a ragged circle had been chosen for their ability to be stacked neatly rather than sat on comfortably.

Lady Margolotta smiled at the assembled vampires.  She liked these meetings.

The rest of the group were a pretty mixed bunch, and she wondered what their motives were.  But perhaps they at least shared one conviction -- that what you were made as, wasn't what you had to be or what you might become...

And the trick was to start small.  Suck, but don't impale.  Little steps.  And then you found that what you really wanted was power, and there were much politer ways of getting it.  And then you realized that power was a bauble.  Any thug had power.  The true prize was control.  Lord Vetinari knew that.  When heavy weights were balanced on the scales, the trick was knowing where to place your thumb.

And all control started with the self.

She stood up.  They watched her with slightly worried yet friendly faces.

"My name, in the short form, is Lady Margolotta Amaya Katerina Assumpta Crassina von Uberwald, and I am a vampire..."

They chorused: "Hello, Lady Margolotta Amaya Katerina Assumpta Crassina von Uberwald!"

"It has been five years now," said Lady Margolotta.  "And I am still taking it vun night at a time.  Vun neck would always be vun too many.  But... there are compensations..."

--Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant

Ve have two important things to focus on this veek.  The first is vhat our need for v-v-vay-v-vakefulness really represents, and vhether there are, as they say, politer vays of getting it.  The second is on vhat little steps ve shall be taking this challenge.  Ve may be children of the qvite late evening time, but not anymore the children of the night.

I shall begin.  My name is Sara, und I have problems vith... the v-vord.  My need for... for v-vord is vun of two things, that I do not feel I have accomplished enough things, or that I do not feel I have had enough rest of the brain, und I vant the extra time for those things.  (These things may be related.  I have read in Cal Newport's Deep Vork that lack of rest for the brain causes lack of qvality vork.)  So to make my sleeping habits truly reliable, I must rebalance my whole vork-rest system, vith more emphasis on the rest, und on the qvality of the vork rather than the qvantity.

My little steps are these:

1. Not vun drop of v-vord after midnight.
  2. A vorkout before bed each night.
  3. Move my vorkout back to start at 11pm, and then 10:30pm, so I can spend more time reading in bed.
  4. Schedule fun things like read und vatching documentaries for an hour in bed.
  5. Measure "enough vork" as accomplishing at least the three most important tasks on ze list.
  6. Schedule those things first.
  7. Schedule a small rest for the brain in the day vith nothing planned to do.
  8. Schedule vun hour (vorking up to four) of my most thinking-intensive vork first thing in my vorking day.
  9. Implement a firm vork shutdown time to stop vorking at a specific time each day, so my brain stops vorking several hours before bedtime.
  10. I vill talk in my daily post about my daily accomplishments und how much rest for the brain I have had.
  11. Und maybe take a thermos of herbal tea to bed, so vhen I vake at 4am, I can have a nice soothing varm drink of tea und some podcast, und get back to sleep in half an hour.  I cannot take cocoa, of course, but varm tea should address most of the possible causes of vakefulness at 4am.

I haff made progress on the first two so far.

• Like 1

Hello Sara,

My name is Chris, and I too, have a problem with ze v-word.  My problem stems from boredom and bad habits for dealing with stress.  I read all ze things - I link hop, I read ze kindle books, I read ze paper books....If I'm stressed or unhappy, I stay up late reading until ze mind turns off. 

1) As stated previously, I shall turn off the foul glowing device at 9 pm.  I shall maintain quiet hours on the small evil device from 10 pm on (no text notification except gf, family or work emergency).  Reading of paper books vill be allowed, since I can shut those easily.

2) I shall be in bed by 11 pm, with lights out soon after.  I had thought that midnight would vork, but I have recently inherited an evil creature, who both stays up late and get up early.  Yes, I have ze cat now.  As I vake up earlier, I must go to bed sooner...

3) I shall work on figuring out when to wake up.  Zer damn cat is up at 5 am, asking to go outside (it is forbidden), so, I might be forced to join zer children of ze mornink...sigh...

4) I too shall report to the league on my progress.  Ve are all in zis together, no? 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

My problem stems from boredom and bad habits for dealing with stress.  I read all ze things - I link hop, I read ze kindle books, I read ze paper books....If I'm stressed or unhappy, I stay up late reading until ze mind turns off. 

Is there a vay you can address der problem of stress before the point enforcement?  A way to read all the things in a more concentrated form, or, you know, havink der mug of cocoa, so you're less tempted by the v-vord?

Greetings, I am Draegon (Liam) and I haff problems with vakefulness.  I haff little time to allot myself for sleep and must maximize vhat time I do haff.

1.  I vill get myself ready for sleep by no later than one und a halff hours before der vitching hour. (22:30 / 10:30 PM)

2.  No device use (other than checking my heart rate or stress level) after the hour off nines. (21:00 / 9:00 PM)

3.  Each veek I stall try a new strategem to offercome the restlessness that causes my vakefulness.

4. I shall report to the league my progress each morning.

Hi Sara and Chris,

My name is Mistr and I also have a problem with the v-word. Vy is this you ask? I shall count the vays.

1. Cranky joints complaining loudly. I haff been doing my exercises and my knees are getting better. I vill do calf stretches before bed every night. Much better than getting up to do them at 1am.

2. Staying up late to talk with my family. Dis happens ven dey come home just as I am heading to bed. Ov course, I could avoid dis by going to bed earlier. I'm not sure I vant to do dat. I vould never see them during the week. Dis one is hard.

3. Vaking up before my alarm. No good reason for dis. Usually I'm not vorried about things I need to do in the morning. Caffeine might contribute some nights. I haff been good about avoiding caffeine on days when I get enuf sleep. Last night the house vas quiet, I was varm enuf, I had been sleeping well and my brain vanted to get up an hour before my alarm. Silly brain.

I haff not stayed up late doing All The Things as I used to do. Tempted, but I haff resisted. The Things are not haunting me. mostly

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 5:05 AM, sarakingdom said:

Is there a vay you can address der problem of stress before the point enforcement?  A way to read all the things in a more concentrated form, or, you know, havink der mug of cocoa, so you're less tempted by the v-vord?

At this point, honestly, a hard limit is probably best.  I actually do have some habits that need significant rehabilitation, and for the moment at least, I feel limits are a good thing.  Kind of like doing an exclusion diet, but for the brain. 

On 9/26/2016 at 7:08 PM, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Ok, I said no device after nine but I'm trying to distract myself from political debates on the TV.  Melatonin has been taken and bed is happening very soon.

I figure the next debates that happen, if someone in the house really wants to watch them - you get their bed, and they can have the sofa.  I was watching running commentary, and not the debate itself, so it wasn't quite as bothersome. 

How's the melatonin working out?  I've thought about using it as a reset to help re-enforce the earlier bedtime. 

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

Hi Sara and Chris,

My name is Mistr and I also have a problem with the v-word. Vy is this you ask? I shall count the vays.

1. Cranky joints complaining loudly. I haff been doing my exercises and my knees are getting better. I vill do calf stretches before bed every night. Much better than getting up to do them at 1am.

2. Staying up late to talk with my family. Dis happens ven dey come home just as I am heading to bed. Ov course, I could avoid dis by going to bed earlier. I'm not sure I vant to do dat. I vould never see them during the week. Dis one is hard.

3. Vaking up before my alarm. No good reason for dis. Usually I'm not vorried about things I need to do in the morning. Caffeine might contribute some nights. I haff been good about avoiding caffeine on days when I get enuf sleep. Last night the house vas quiet, I was varm enuf, I had been sleeping well and my brain vanted to get up an hour before my alarm. Silly brain.

I haff not stayed up late doing All The Things as I used to do. Tempted, but I haff resisted. The Things are not haunting me. mostly

Velcome, Mistr,

1) Oh my.  I know ze feelink viz zer creaky joints.  My right shoulder and elbow hav been quite zer crankypants, my vord, yes.  Treating them vell before bed is a good idea...please let us know how it goes..

2) Zer family... I live alone, so have little input, but this is a bugger, and not to doubt.  Perhaps just one mug of ze cocoa (or tea) und zer chatting?

3) How's the light control in the room?  I wake up with sunlight regardless of how much I've slept (it's a right bugger in the summer, let me tell you).  Or are you too varm?  This will wake me, too. Or, if ze brain wants to vake...find an Igor and ask for a new brain?  (I kid, I kid)...perhaps add honey or gelatin to ze cocoa or tea - the brain may be needing some extra food (came across this on a paleo-primal site once, stating that the brain actually does a lot of work while sleeping, and a little extra glucose or protein can help some forms of wakefulness - might be worth an n=1 test if light and temperature are under control).  Then again, perhaps you're brain is saying you've slept enough, regardless of your opinion on the matter.

4) Fighting temptation makes us stronk!  Or at least, helps us find systems to deal...

• Like 2

@ChrisWithaStick So far the melatonin seems to be hit and miss. Vhen I drink the spirits I seem to haff an increase in restlessness regardless. Despite the melatonin it took an entire hour before I vas settled enough for the sleep detector to record anything last night.

Only 5 hours and 23 minutes last night. Vhen it should haff been over 6 hours.

Sent from the dragon's lair

16 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

3) How's the light control in the room?  I wake up with sunlight regardless of how much I've slept (it's a right bugger in the summer, let me tell you).  Or are you too varm?  This will wake me, too. Or, if ze brain wants to vake...find an Igor and ask for a new brain?  (I kid, I kid)...perhaps add honey or gelatin to ze cocoa or tea - the brain may be needing some extra food (came across this on a paleo-primal site once, stating that the brain actually does a lot of work while sleeping, and a little extra glucose or protein can help some forms of wakefulness - might be worth an n=1 test if light and temperature are under control).  Then again, perhaps you're brain is saying you've slept enough, regardless of your opinion on the matter.

Ze light control is good dis time ov year. I know vat you mean about morning light in the summer. Temperature control is difficult in general because of hot flashes. Mostly I ignore them.

Dat food idea, dat could be it. I haff been making an effort not to snack in ze evening. IF and all dat. I do seem to sleep better when I haff had zome food. Hmmmmm, vorth testing.

Last night I vas gutt about not snacking. I fell asleep for 1.5 hours, then vas awake. The room was dark, quiet and cool. I got up and did zazen for 25 minutes. I could feel my shoulders relaxing. When I meditate at night I have just a candle for light and burn incense. The scent and gentle lighting helped me to relax. Clearly I vas much more tense than I vanted to believe. After that I was able to sleep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

Dat food idea, dat could be it. I haff been making an effort not to snack in ze evening. IF and all dat. I do seem to sleep better when I haff had zome food. Hmmmmm, vorth testing.

If I remember right, it wasn't very much, calorie wise - it might be technically breaking a fast, but might not trigger the body chemistry enough to derail the benefits, especially if you stick with proteins and fats.  I probably read it on Mark's Daily Apple or a paleo-ish site (I should really just have a notebook with me at all times and write an article citation anytime I think 'hmmm...that's interesting')

13 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

@ChrisWithaStick So far the melatonin seems to be hit and miss. Vhen I drink the spirits I seem to haff an increase in restlessness regardless. Despite the melatonin it took an entire hour before I vas settled enough for the sleep detector to record anything last night.

I have the same experience with spirits and wine.  Even if I do get to sleep at a good time, it's much less restful, and I tend to wake up in the night more often.  Interesting that it has enough of an effect to disturb the added melatonin. 

• Like 1

Oh my vord, ve are official!  They haff put up the Black Ribbon banner for us.  Ve must hang the bunting und set out the plate of cupcakes vith the little bats on the tops.

55 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I have the same experience with spirits and wine.  Even if I do get to sleep at a good time, it's much less restful, and I tend to wake up in the night more often.  Interesting that it has enough of an effect to disturb the added melatonin. 

I think this is a known thing with alcohol, it does disrupt sleep, especially deeper sleep.  So near bedtime, vun should not drink... vine.

21 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

2) Zer family... I live alone, so have little input, but this is a bugger, and not to doubt.  Perhaps just one mug of ze cocoa (or tea) und zer chatting?

All things can be solved vith the cocoa.  Just vun mug of cocoa vill be very restful, and also introduce that small hit of calories und protein und glucose you haff discussed.  Perhaps the IF period needs to move a touch later, or just make a small cocoa exception.

21 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Or, if ze brain wants to vake...find an Igor and ask for a new brain?  (I kid, I kid)

Do not say it too loudly, because an Igor alvays vill haff a spare vun on hand.  And vill also haff a spare hand, come to that.  They are very obliging fellows, the Igors, but vun must make sure they do not get carried avay.

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

I fell asleep for 1.5 hours, then vas awake. The room was dark, quiet and cool. I got up and did zazen for 25 minutes. I could feel my shoulders relaxing. When I meditate at night I have just a candle for light and burn incense. The scent and gentle lighting helped me to relax. Clearly I vas much more tense than I vanted to believe. After that I was able to sleep.

My vord, it seems you have far too much tension for restink.  A routine vith a varm shower before the bedtime, perhaps, vith some candlelight also?  (I know ve are modern now, but the candles are so soothing.  I am alvays uncomfortable around light as bright as a mob of torches.)

• Like 3