• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

5 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

8 hours 13 minutes - the black ribbon has been earned :applouse:  commence vith the cocoa and the sing-a-long.

So that's why fuzzball was acting up.  Seriously, you're upsetting the balance.  ;)  (I'm just jealous!)

Good job, and some well earned cocoa.  :encouragement:  @sarakingdom  do we have a song of triumph or for winning a significant battle over ze v-word?

As noted in my challenge, I'm keeping up with the getting to bed on time habit, but getting enough sleep is another matter.  Evil fuzzball was up and down and meowing up until 1 ish, then again at 4:30 (I think he heard the raccoons outside).  Between that and my sinuses being at war with a virus, what sleep was had was of poor quality. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Evil fuzzball was up and down and meowing up until 1 ish, then again at 4:30 (I think he heard the raccoons outside).  Between that and my sinuses being at war with a virus, what sleep was had was of poor quality. 

<SARCASM> "I know nothink, nothink..." I know absolutely nothing about loosing sleep to a cantankerous furball. </SARCASM>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

<SARCASM> "I know nothink, nothink..." I know absolutely nothing about loosing sleep to a cantankerous furball. </SARCASM>

I'm pretty sure that anything said about cats has a sarc tag embedded.  It was one of Newton's lesser known laws of natural philosophy, and the only one Einstein was in complete agreement with.

Ok, so I'm upsetting my own balance.  Apparently, the v-word is like fight club.  I should not talk about fight club.  :/  

Was completely restless last night, so stayed up far to late reading, then went to bed, then had a coughing fit (sinus drainage and oddly, being able to breathe half clearly irritated my throat).  On the upside, I had a very lovely nap between 7 am and 11:45 am. 

Sigh...

On 10/8/2016 at 3:24 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

Good job, and some well earned cocoa.  :encouragement:  @sarakingdom  do we have a song of triumph or for winning a significant battle over ze v-word?

Ve must, mustn't ve?  Congratulations on ze decisive vin over zer v-vord!  Vun must alvays vake... refreshed.

Veek Three Meeting of the Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance

This veek, ve vill talk about zer good science of zer motherland.  For instance, "Zer Surprising Benefits of Zer Reading Before Bed". 

Vhy?  "A 2009 study from researchers at University of Sussex showed that six minutes of reading reduces stress by 68% (more relaxing than either music or a cup of tea), thus clearing the mind and readying the body for sleep."  Ve get many benefits from zer reading, like zer increased focus und protection from zer age-related cognitive decline, und now it is recommended by zer science for v-v-vay-vakefulness.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

This veek, ve vill talk about zer good science of zer motherland.  For instance, "Zer Surprising Benefits of Zer Reading Before Bed". 

Vhy?  "A 2009 study from researchers at University of Sussex showed that six minutes of reading reduces stress by 68% (more relaxing than either music or a cup of tea), thus clearing the mind and readying the body for sleep."  Ve get many benefits from zer reading, like zer increased focus und protection from zer age-related cognitive decline, und now it is recommended by zer science for v-v-vay-vakefulness.

Vat did they read? On Saturday night I successfully put down my novel when I finished the chapter. More often I find that six minutes of reading in bed leads to an hour as I have to know what happens next. I saved a physics textbook for years after college. It vas guaranteed to put me to sleep. Maybe dat is vat they used.

4 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

The vork veek has returned, again I shall be sleepless.

1855dc0929ccaf81408bdcce7bd6b90e.gif

Sent from the dragon's lair

Chuck ze vorkouts for now.  Make your vorkout plan ten minutes a day, und never in zer morning.  Vhen the sleep is stable and the vorkout is stable, add more time.

(Und restart zer HEMA group.  Vun veekend HEMA vorkout, vith your valking und another vorkout during the veek, vill get you places.  Like ve tell people getting in shape to start martial arts as beginners, the best vay to get in shape is by doing your art.  Everyvun vill like a get-in-shape period, und two birds vill be hit vith vun stone.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Vat did they read? On Saturday night I successfully put down my novel when I finished the chapter. More often I find that six minutes of reading in bed leads to an hour as I have to know what happens next. I saved a physics textbook for years after college. It vas guaranteed to put me to sleep. Maybe dat is vat they used.

Anything absorbing.  Zer key is apparently zer sustained mental absorption in building a mental vorld, und zer body relaxes.  (Vun is not reqvired to stop after six minutes.  Vun may keep reading.)

Chuck ze vorkouts for now.  Make your vorkout plan ten minutes a day, und never in zer morning.  Vhen the sleep is stable and the vorkout is stable, add more time.

(Und restart zer HEMA group.  Vun veekend HEMA vorkout, vith your valking und another vorkout during the veek, vill get you places.  Like ve tell people getting in shape to start martial arts as beginners, the best vay to get in shape is by doing your art.  Everyvun vill like a get-in-shape period, und two birds vill be hit vith vun stone.)

I did chuck ze vorkouts on ze morning, for office yoga during ze day und yin yoga before bed.

Ze HEMA group cannot happen earlier than next spring unfortunately. (No indoor practice space) Und, unless I get some solid commitment from at least 3 other people the group cannot happen at all. I need for for us to maintain the HEMA Alliance affiliate status.

I vill be mentioning these things in my battle log.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Success! Last night I had ze cocoa and a hot bath before bed. No ibuprofen, no stretching and I got a full night's sleep with minimal knee crankiness. I must try dis again.

• Like 3

On 10. Oktober 2016 at 2:10 AM, sarakingdom said:

This totally makes sense for me. I sometimes read a few pages (2-10) before going to bed. And it really helps to calm my thoughts. I guess it helps me when I focus on one thing. Also it seems to work better then audio books for me. Currently I'm reading Maskerade. Intresting Times was really good. It took me some time to get into it, but after him finally meeting the Horde, I really enjoyed the snarky remarks and the sarcasm of the protagonist.

Although I was a little sad at the end.

ok, you're usually a little sad after finishing a Discworld novel. But this time it was because a minor charakter died.

• Like 1

Veek Four Meeting of the Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance

Und now, a short educational film showink the dos and don'ts of good sleepink habits:

Ze young lady in ze fetching vhite nightie is in bed before eleven-thirty - look at zer nice modern clock - und is reading a book.  These are ze responsible sleepink habits, und soon she is fast asleep. 

Zer unreformed child of ze night is flyink around at all hours.  He is, as @RisenPhoenix vould say, flapping like zer asshole, und he is looming in zer bedroom like a very old-fashioned character indeed.  Ve are more modern than this, und can see clearly the link betveen v-v-vay-vakefulness und zer anti-social behavior, but ve must be on our guards against ze unwholesome urges.

Discussion for veek four is this: Vhat old-fashioned habits do you cling to that make zer good habits harder, und vhat unwholesome urges still fill your eveninks?  Vhat habits do you need to become ze young lady in ze fetching vhite nightie?

I vill go first.  I have ze old-fashioned habits of doing vork in the night-time.  This is how things vorked for us in the old days, but in this modern vorld, ve must become creatures of ze day.  I also have zer mental tiredness und do not use my evenink time vell, so I am filling it vith ze unimportant things und delaying zer evenink vorkout.  Vhat I vill do is print zer to-do list at six or seven o'clock vhen my vork day ends, und try to vork offline after nine.  I am certain ze young lady does not vork in the eveninks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Veek Four Meeting of the Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance

Discussion for veek four is this: Vhat old-fashioned habits do you cling to that make zer good habits harder, und vhat unwholesome urges still fill your eveninks?  Vhat habits do you need to become ze young lady in ze fetching vhite nightie?

Considering I live in Seattle, and there's a good population of amazing drag/burlesque performers, the phrasing of that question has some entertaining connotations.

For the League though:  I do not have a set bed time, and tend to eat my meals later at night - this tends to exacerbate the v-word.  I am also fond of a nightcap, and that is not beneficial to restful sleep.

For changes to that - 1) bye bye night cap, unless it's a drink out with a friend.  2) work on having meals earlier, say by 7:30, or skipping if it's going to be too late (I'm not weight lifting or anything else where I need the recovery calories - a skipped meal here and there won't hurt).