• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

12 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Considering I live in Seattle, and there's a good population of amazing drag/burlesque performers, the phrasing of that question has some entertaining connotations.

Ve do not judge.  You may vear ze fetching vhite nightie if you vish.  (Vun could even speculate that zer attraction of ze young lady in ze vhite nightie is, deep down, a vish to become rather than merely to possess, as von Schaukelpferd does in Psychologische Projektion in der Angelegenheit der traditionellen Vampirsbräuche.  Or as they say in Ankh-Morpork, you are vhat you eat.  It is somevhat less elegant in translation.)

14 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

For the League though:  I do not have a set bed time, and tend to eat my meals later at night - this tends to exacerbate the v-word.  I am also fond of a nightcap, and that is not beneficial to restful sleep.

For changes to that - 1) bye bye night cap, unless it's a drink out with a friend.  2) work on having meals earlier, say by 7:30, or skipping if it's going to be too late (I'm not weight lifting or anything else where I need the recovery calories - a skipped meal here and there won't hurt).

It is unfortunate that you cannot drink... vine before bed.  That is qvite sad.  Perhaps vith dinner or as an apertif, yes?  I agree, ze late meals are a problem vhen it comes to sleeping.  I alvays need a few hours after eating before sleep.

Set bedtimes are very difficult for me.  Having them does not mean I vill remember them or obey them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Ve do not judge.  You may vear ze fetching vhite nightie if you vish.  (Vun could even speculate that zer attraction of ze young lady in ze vhite nightie is, deep down, a vish to become rather than merely to possess, as von Schaukelpferd does in Psychologische Projektion in der Angelegenheit der traditionellen Vampirsbräuche.  Or as they say in Ankh-Morpork, you are vhat you eat.  It is somevhat less elegant in translation.)

I find I sleep best in the cool - a fetching white nightie might distract from that, and of course, diaphanous material is just a pain to clean properly.  

It is unfortunate that you cannot drink... vine before bed.  That is qvite sad.  Perhaps vith dinner or as an apertif, yes?  I agree, ze late meals are a problem vhen it comes to sleeping.  I alvays need a few hours after eating before sleep.

Ja, schade... And the eating thing - I really only lately started paying attention to it.  Partly it was reading about what the brain does while fasting during sleep, and realizing that if I eat late, I'm not in any kind of a sleep fasted state, which explains much of the fuzzieness. 

Set bedtimes are very difficult for me.  Having them does not mean I vill remember them or obey them.

There is that - they tend not to work for me either, but when I finally get into a pattern, they kind of happen. With 5 am Fuzzball in the house, I am definitely tired earlier, which is a good thing for habit.  I'm actually thinking of starting work earlier (gasp...).

1 minute ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

and of course, diaphanous material is just a pain to clean properly.  

This of course is true.  Vashing delicates is a pain vithout an Igor.  Vashervomen are so rough on the clothes in comparison.

2 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

With 5 am Fuzzball in the house

This is now your cat's name, like 71-Hour Ahmed.  5 AM Fuzzball.

2 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I'm actually thinking of starting work earlier (gasp...).

Do you get to leave vork earlier?

15 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

This is now your cat's name, like 71-Hour Ahmed.  5 AM Fuzzball.

True...Fuzzball for short.

15 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Do you get to leave vork earlier?

Yes - I can pretty much set my hours, so long as I'm consistent. Choice is either 5x8 or 4x10.  Right now I'm on 8s.  10's can be a bit of a grind, depending.  I'm not sure - I have to actually get out of bed that early and be cognizant before I really decide to go in earlier - I might be able to put in a morning workout instead. Choices, choices. 

Damn cat.

I got around nine hours between Saturday and Sunday but only 5 last night.

No more spirits - none, not a single ****ing drop. Huge argument vith SWMBO on Sunday because I let SquirrelKing talk me into having too much on Saturday. (grumble, grumble ... white lightning ... grumble)

The crux of the argument being that I fell asleep on the couch) vhile vaiting for PostEmoGirl's boyfriend to go home, and I vasn't really trying to stay avake until he left. (He left at 11:30)

For as little sleep as I get, SWMBO gets only about 30 minutes more a day, and SquirrelKing gets even less. I do need to be responsible and try to stay up vhen the kids have people over, but still I need to get sleep sometime, so does she.

My falling asleep on the couch in the evenings has been a long going point of contention. I know I have to re ... respon ... the evil r word. Then again sleep does not come easily to SWMBO, and in her case requires ever increasing doses of melatonin or sleeping pills. So the green eyed monster may play a role here (not to mention my rather loud snoring and twitchy leg). There's got to be a compromise somewhere but I have not found it.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Experimental Results

I haf repeated the experiment from last week with controls.

Test A (Saturday night)

Test conditions: hot bath with Epson salts, ibuprofen

Results: Bad problems with the v-word, much random shooting shooting pains in the joints.

Test B (Monday night)

Test conditions: hot cocoa (ze special cocoa with Godiva and Amaretto - just for flavor), no ibuprofen, also had chocolate ganache.

Results: Fell asleep easily. Knees mildly cranky but not painful.

Conclusions:

While a hot bath is a fine thing, it does not seem to help reduce ze symptoms. Ze cocoa iz indeed key to success. Ze next step is to test cocoa in ze absence of ganache. I haf already tested ganache in ze absence of cocoa. Sadly, dat iz not helpful. To be complete, I must also test de plain cocoa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

This is excellent data.  Of course zer cocoa vould be the key.  The visdom of Lady Margolotta is indeed great.  Vill you be repeating zer experiment to verify ze results?

39 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

This is excellent data.  Of course zer cocoa vould be the key.  The visdom of Lady Margolotta is indeed great.  Vill you be repeating zer experiment to verify ze results?

Ov course. Ve all know dat ze scientific method requires replicated data. Tonight vill be ze first trial of ze plain cocoa.

On 10/17/2016 at 8:47 AM, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

No more spirits - none, not a single ****ing drop.

Just remember, "I do not drink... wine," it vorks in all situations.

Best solution I can see is giving SWMBO a turn on the couch, so she can experience what it's like to have to sleep in a public space.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Ov course. Ve all know dat ze scientific method requires replicated data. Tonight vill be ze first trial of ze plain cocoa.

Perhaps I, too, shall make zer cocoa tonight.  Vun must fight vakefulness vith every tool.

Just remember, "I do not drink... wine," it vorks in all situations.

Best solution I can see is giving SWMBO a turn on the couch, so she can experience what it's like to have to sleep in a public space.

She's done that a few times.

Updates 17 Oct: 5 hr @ 93% efficiency - 4 hr 41 min actual sleep

18 Oct: 6 hr 49 min @ 93% efficiency - 6 hr 22 min actual sleep time

The extensive slow yoga before bed seems to be vorking better than anything else at this point. I just need to vary my routine a bit. After a few days of the same routine the relaxing effect seems to diminish.

I'm calling a mulligan on Monday due to work and needing to get unfrustrated before trying to sleep.

We shall do better tonight.

@Draegon (Liam P Boyle)  for SWMBO - I don't have a lot to say or add, except that you might offer to chat with her more about what you're doing for sleep habits this challenge, and maybe being a partner in the quest for better sleep (compare notes, work on plans together, etc.), if she wants to. i.e., I find I sometimes get more traction if approaching an issue from the stand point of 'I'm doing this thing and I'm happy to talk with you about it if you want.  If not, no big deal', or something of that kidney, especially if there's an acknowledgment of the other party's problem (lack of sleep, stress, etc.), and an offer of team work. 

For the Post Emo and having to chaperone - I got nothing.  Having no kids, my thought is 'well, at least they were there and not out drinking or other, or both', given that I grew up in the semi-rural south and know what kids did when they went out on their own, especially at the post emo age. 

Speaking of semi-rural south - was it real white lightning?  I've had exactly one bottle cap-full of that, and holy OM (holy horns), my throat still hates the memory of it (I think it was pure, uncut distillate, honestly). 

9 hours ago, Mistr said:

Experimental Results

Test A (Saturday night)

Test conditions: hot bath with Epson salts, ibuprofen

Results: Bad problems with the v-word, much random shooting shooting pains in the joints.

Test B (Monday night)

Test conditions: hot cocoa (ze special cocoa with Godiva and Amaretto - just for flavor), no ibuprofen, also had chocolate ganache.

Results: Fell asleep easily. Knees mildly cranky but not painful.

Conclusions:

While a hot bath is a fine thing, it does not seem to help reduce ze symptoms. Ze cocoa iz indeed key to success. Ze next step is to test cocoa in ze absence of ganache. I haf already tested ganache in ze absence of cocoa. Sadly, dat iz not helpful. To be complete, I must also test de plain cocoa.

If I may suggest Test C - make the hot chocolate using the ganache.  It is simple.  Pour the hot milk or milk substitute over the ganache, and stir. Use a volume of liquid to get to the thickness you desire.  For what is hot chocolate, other than ganache with too much hot milk?  See Boesenberg's "Das Prizip die Schokolade". 

Ze special cocoa looks delightful.

For test D - perhaps a bath and ze cocoa?  Or does the hot bath itself increase the v-word?   I have found that a hot bath is relaxing to the muscles, but does not induce drowsiness unless there has been really hard physical work before.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  That cursed combination of relaxed and incredibly alert, which exacerbates many problems with the v-word. 

• Like 1

Speaking of semi-rural south - was it real white lightning?  I've had exactly one bottle cap-full of that, and holy OM (holy horns), my throat still hates the memory of it (I think it was pure, uncut distillate, honestly). 

Nah, just the store bought stuff. So basically Bourbon that hasn't been aged. I've had the real vhite lightning and my limit on that can be held in an eye dropper. I've been haffing conversations vith SWMBO about sleep and it looks like the best compromise is the one ve already haff. Household bedtime is 22:00 - 23:00 and I backed my alarm to 05:30. The part I'm trying to vork out better is haffing to choose between vorkout and sleep. If I vorkout in the evening I get to bed later. If I vorkout in the morning I haff to vake up earlier.

Speaking of vich: 6 hr 35 min @ 95% efficiency 6 hr 16 min actual sleep last night.

13 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

If I may suggest Test C - make the hot chocolate using the ganache.  It is simple.  Pour the hot milk or milk substitute over the ganache, and stir. Use a volume of liquid to get to the thickness you desire.  For what is hot chocolate, other than ganache with too much hot milk?  See Boesenberg's "Das Prizip die Schokolade". 

Ah, another experiment. I must try dis. I haf a great deal of orange-chocolate ganache.

For test D - perhaps a bath and ze cocoa?  Or does the hot bath itself increase the v-word?   I have found that a hot bath is relaxing to the muscles, but does not induce drowsiness unless there has been really hard physical work before.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  That cursed combination of relaxed and incredibly alert, which exacerbates many problems with the v-word. 

Dis test vas performed last veek. Ze recent tests follow on those positive results. As you note, ze bath alone vas not effective.

Test C

Test conditions: plain cocoa. No liqueur, no marshmellows, not even cream.

Results: fell asleep easily. Knees vere cranky but not painful. Stomach made funny noises when I vas lying on my back. Rolling onto my front fixed dat problem.

Falling asleep vorked well. Unfortunately, I had problems with the v-word in the early morning hours. I voke up at 4:00am and tried to go back to sleep. At 5:20am I gave up. That allowed me time to meditate before work. I suspect ze problem may be from too much coffee.

I think ve all must try this experiment.  For science, you understand.  Ve are a very scientifically-minded people, und these are ze modern times.

If zer hot bath is not touching the knee pain, there may be some inflammation that doesn't react vell to the heat.  Hard to know vhat is actually happening vith that.  (Vhen it is muscle pain, my standard recommendation is alvays zer magnesium lotion.)

• Like 1

End-of-Challenge Memo to the Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance

Fellow Black Ribboners, ve are at a crossroards.  Vould you like to continue vith the meetings of zer Temperance League vhen ze new challenge rolls around?  Does anyvun feel it out to be restructured if ve are to continue?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Falling asleep vorked well. Unfortunately, I had problems with the v-word in the early morning hours. I voke up at 4:00am and tried to go back to sleep. At 5:20am I gave up. That allowed me time to meditate before work. I suspect ze problem may be from too much coffee.

The experimental results do seem to support zer cocoa, vith perhaps a few extra calories from fats, as the vay to beat the v-vord.

Can zer coffee be svitched in part vith zer decaf or zer tea-or-cocoa, or is it necessary to daily functioning?

Fellow Black Ribboners, ve are at a crossroards.  Vould you like to continue vith the meetings of zer Temperance League vhen ze new challenge rolls around?  Does anyvun feel it out to be restructured if ve are to continue?

Yes! By the lotus flowers of Morpheus, Yes.

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

By all means, ve must continue to fight ze v-word!

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

The experimental results do seem to support zer cocoa, vith perhaps a few extra calories from fats, as the vay to beat the v-vord.

Can zer coffee be svitched in part vith zer decaf or zer tea-or-cocoa, or is it necessary to daily functioning?

On ze good days I do not drink coffee. I try to stay vith tea unless I am very tired. My vorkplace provides coffee, making it far too easy to partake. I vill resolve to abstain from ze coffee. Again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

By all means, ve must continue to fight ze v-word!

Ah, good, ve shall continue vith the meetinks und the cocoa!

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

On ze good days I do not drink coffee. I try to stay vith tea unless I am very tired. My vorkplace provides coffee, making it far too easy to partake. I vill resolve to abstain from ze coffee. Again.

If zer coffee has a bad sort of caffeine for the v-vord, then it is for the best, alas.  But you are getting closer, I think.  Vhatever it is seems to be helped vith the relaxation und small calorie hit of a hot drink before bedtime.

4 hr 52 min @ 90% efficiency - 4 hr 26 min actual sleep time.

Ve had been invited to our friends' place to vatch American Horror Story last night, so that pushed bedtime late. I skipped my nightly yoga for some meditation in "couch savasana" with a bit of binaural music playing. That didn't vork quite so vell. I must begin using ze cocoa.

It has...been a week.  Monday as noted was a wash.  Tuesday was better.  Last night was class, with only me and sempai N.  We did a light training focused on movement, and I rediscovered that light workouts induce the V-word.  It is possible I will have to just accept this as a risk on Wednesdays as the training varies with who's there and what we are focusing on.  

On a bright note, either 5 am Fuzzball is being kind this week, or I'm sleeping right through it, because I'm waking up just before my alarm, but not at 5 am with the meowing. We shall see how things continue. 

Also, I'm also firmly in the 'yes, let's keep the League going' camp. Ze habits against ze v-word are progressing, but ve're not out of the forest yet. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 9:38 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

If I may suggest Test C D - make the hot chocolate using the ganache.  It is simple.  Pour the hot milk or milk substitute over the ganache, and stir. Use a volume of liquid to get to the thickness you desire.  For what is hot chocolate, other than ganache with too much hot milk?  See Boesenberg's "Das Prizip die Schokolade". 

Test D (Wednesday night)

Test conditions: Hot chocolate made with hot milk and orange chocolate ganache. This took a bit because I decided to pick out the ganache strips without bits of hard chocolate from the pile of trimmings. Elf helped with the pieces of ganache with the crunchy bits. On the other hand, it melted easily and there was not that mess of partially dissolved cocoa in the bottom of the mug. The orange flavor was more intense in the hot chocolate than in the ganache.

Results: The hot chocolate was heavenly and I fell asleep right away.

Test E (Thursday night)

Test conditions: Negative control. Decaf coffee with cream, along with a lemon bar.

Results: Negative. Much trouble with the v-word. Tossing and turning and not falling asleep. My knees were not too cranky, which is a miracle because they hurt just walking all day.

Tonight I vill resume the replicate testing of ze hot chocolate. Ze preliminary results show a clear trend, but ve must not leap to conclusions.