• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

2 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

11/25 5 hr 50 min

11/26 10 hr 59 min

11/27 6 hr 52 min

Sent from the dragon's lair

Looks like a little catch up for the weekend.  Is there anything else you can do at this point for sleep quality? 

Velcome to Veek Zero of the Hogsvatch -- er, December -- challenge, fellow Black Ribboners.  Ve vill be tested by holiday parties, und ve vill be helped by ze early fall of zer darkness.  (Ze shorter days are vonderful for ze children of zer night.)

85018b5aecc55abfc6d27bc0edf2d8bc.jpg

I haff largely been on the vagon by accident, but last night I vas veak.  I stayed avake far longer than vas necessary or desirable or planned.  I think zer cocoa vill be on ze cards tonight.

Vhat are your vinter sleep goals?

(Und thank you, Count Kristoffer, for shepherding zer League of Temperance this past challenge.  I hope you vill be around this challenge.  I vill do my best, but vould love zer... co-sponsor for ze meetings, I believe zer Handbook calls it.)

I will most certainly be joining ya'll again in the quest for more sleep! I had a bad run last week, but seem to be back on track the last few nights. Goals include drinking less booze, more baths, and coloring at night which is a nice non screen option and makes me sleepy and happy :) 

(I will also - possibly - be experimenting with cocoa depending on my cutting plans. But tis the season and I'm feeling seasonal!)

24 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I will most certainly be joining ya'll again in the quest for more sleep! I had a bad run last week, but seem to be back on track the last few nights. Goals include drinking less booze, more baths, and coloring at night which is a nice non screen option and makes me sleepy and happy :) 

(I will also - possibly - be experimenting with cocoa depending on my cutting plans. But tis the season and I'm feeling seasonal!)

Booze seems to affect zer sleep for many people.  But I am vith you on ze relaxing baths.

My breakfast cocoa today vas only milk und cocoa powder, vith no sugar.  It's an acvired taste, yes, and not qvite so festive, but it's somevhere betveen cocoa und coffee, vhich is not bad.  If you're making it yourself, you can play vith the macros of the cocoa a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks to a random sale, I decided to try Kava Kava supplements.

THIS STUFF IS WONDERFUL. It isn't 'hit or miss' like melatonin, where if I miss the melatonin bus (approx 30-40 minutes after you take it), you're up for two more hours.  It isn't like valerian that makes me groggy as f*** in the morning.  I fall asleep naturally about 45 minutes after I take it, or earlier if I'm actually tired, I have crazy dreams BUT I wake up RESTED and not groggy.  It's expensive (regular price was $19 for 60 caplets), but I may never go back.  Really loving this.  Good sleep. 

Also, thanks to my daughter's horrible addiction to bath bombs, I am having scalding hot epsom baths more regularly and ooooooooooooooh man, also great sleep. 

• Like 3

11/30 6 hours 10 minutes - I voke up around 4:15 AM vith the cold sveats und unable to breathe through my nose.  (by cold sweats I mean I was drenched with sweat and felt like I was freezing)  Despite having to call into vork sick zee past two days, I vas able to make it in this day.  I just feel like death varmed over on a stick und i tink zee only tings keeping me vertical are cold medicine und mountain dew kickstarts.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2016 at 6:06 PM, Thrillho said:

Thanks to a random sale, I decided to try Kava Kava supplements.

THIS STUFF IS WONDERFUL. It isn't 'hit or miss' like melatonin, where if I miss the melatonin bus (approx 30-40 minutes after you take it), you're up for two more hours.  It isn't like valerian that makes me groggy as f*** in the morning.  I fall asleep naturally about 45 minutes after I take it, or earlier if I'm actually tired, I have crazy dreams BUT I wake up RESTED and not groggy.  It's expensive (regular price was $19 for 60 caplets), but I may never go back.  Really loving this.  Good sleep. 

Also, thanks to my daughter's horrible addiction to bath bombs, I am having scalding hot epsom baths more regularly and ooooooooooooooh man, also great sleep. 

Do you normally have crazy dreams?? (I normally have crazy dreams)... but you hit on all my stuff. Valerian makes me feel crazy town! Does seem expensive, but if it's a once in awhile thing I could justify it. I wonder if my natural grocery has some...

• Like 1

I always have moderately crazy dreams (full color, sound, plotlines, dialogue, scene shifts, etc), but these definitely increase the detail level and duration.  It's pretty cool. It recommends two before bed, but I find one is all I need to just make it that last little bit easier to fall asleep. 

• Like 1

I got lovely sleep over the Thanksgiving holiday. This week I have been less good about getting to bed on time, mostly for valid reasons. The waking up at 5:15am part did not have any reason at all.

I have been off caffeine for more than a week and my sleep quality has been excellent. Cold weather and a heated throw on my feet work well for me. Plus, my knees are less cranky. :D

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 11:09 AM, Thrillho said:

I always have moderately crazy dreams (full color, sound, plotlines, dialogue, scene shifts, etc), but these definitely increase the detail level and duration.  It's pretty cool. It recommends two before bed, but I find one is all I need to just make it that last little bit easier to fall asleep. 

I may need to check this out. I admit I went for a few tylenol PMS two nights ago because under rested + major pain to manage. I got about 9.5 hours and it was awesome... but I don't like to rely on that stuff, and doesn't really work after a few nights in a row anyway. Dreams were riotous tho lol I'm grateful that I have such wild night cinemas :D 

Last night... not so great, but I only have myself to blame. (Date night booze + staying up way too late.) I'm planning on some chill crafts this weekend and not very late nights.

• Like 1

I haff been off the vagon much of this veek, und it is messing vith my head. I am now vell enough to stay up late rather than fall into bed as early as possible, but I am not vell enough to not need the sleep.  Und also, zer stress has not been of help.  I vas not having a good day today, very tired und not very focussed at all.

I must try zer cocoa this evening, before zer yoga.  (Ve are very modern in zer League of Temperance.)

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I haff been off the vagon much of this veek, und it is messing vith my head. I am now vell enough to stay up late rather than fall into bed as early as possible, but I am not vell enough to not need the sleep.  Und also, zer stress has not been of help.  I vas not having a good day today, very tired und not very focussed at all.

I must try zer cocoa this evening, before zer yoga.  (Ve are very modern in zer League of Temperance.)

I'm having an unstructured zero week, so we shall consider it to be like Vegas...what happens in UZW, stays in UZW (I've been jogging beside the vagon, but not actually on it).

Interesting video.  Is anyone else occasionally and mildly disturbed how similar the brain seems to computers?  Sleep being kind of like a long cycle reboot with purging of some temp files, and a defrag of the hard disc? Then again, I kind of hear Ponder Stibbons over my shoulder "That's a good way to look at it for understanding, while being almost completely wrong in every way"

• Like 1

12/3 - 11hr 38 minutes

12/4 - 8hr 41 min

12/5 - 5hr 16 min

12/6 - 6hr 40 min

12/7 - 5hr 40 min

12/8 - 7hr 40 min

12/9 - 7hr 42 min

12/10 - 10hr 12 min

12/11 - 7hr 40 min

12/12 - 7hr 26 min

So, I seem to be averaging out at about 7 hours, which is an improvement.  However, I've been oversleeping in the mornings and not waking up to the alarm, which is quite detrimental.  I'm also starting to develop a bad snooze button habit again.

• Like 1

So that's what happened.  You're disturbing the force again, Draegon.  :)  (I have fallen off the vagon, and am working on getting back on this week).

Good for you on the increased amount!  I struggle with the snooze button.  Partly it's habit, partly I think it's continuous sleep debt.  I wonder if you'll improve in that aspect as you continue to work of the sleep debt.

No idea, I seem to go through phases with oversleeping and bad snooze button abuse though.  "Last night I woke up and all my dreams were the repetition of last week's television" (Bad old song quote) Not really, I got about an hour of sleep last night and then woke up for no reason for about 45 minutes before I was able to get back down for another not quite five hours. 

13 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

No idea, I seem to go through phases with oversleeping and bad snooze button abuse though.  "Last night I woke up and all my dreams were the repetition of last week's television" (Bad old song quote) Not really, I got about an hour of sleep last night and then woke up for no reason for about 45 minutes before I was able to get back down for another not quite five hours. 

Changed any eating or drinking habits?  That sometimes messes with me (when I'm actually on the wagon, that is).

Not lately.  I think this is just a phase.  Last night was 4 hours and 13 minutes 2 88% efficiency so only about 3 hours 45 minutes of actual sleep.  I just could not settle down to sleep for some reason, and then right when I started to nod off SquirrelKing started snoring loudly. (He pissed off SWMBO, so he's couched for a while.) That really didn't help.  Since He's a lights out as soon as the TV is off person, I ended up missing my sleep yoga, and some meditation time.

tumblr_nz3nqmWe7I1r9qhhio1_500.jpg

(by Roger Wilkerson)

Ve are all gettink ready for zer Hogsvatch, yes?  Und ve have ze plans for sleepink for ze holidays?

I must get back on zer vagon.  I am very, very tired, und even an extra hour or so vould make a difference.  Ze brain is not like all the v-v-vay-v-vakefulness, even though it is not a lot.  (I think a day of aggressive restink vill make a big difference.  I vill spend a day vith ze audiobooks lyink in zer bed, und sleeping at vill.  Also, many mugs of cocoa.)

Who is havink trouble vith their Black Ribbon pledges?  Who has not written vun down?  I vish to know, so that ve can all leave behind ze old vays vhich hold us back, and vhich are very old-fashioned and not at all scientific or modern.