The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

The Shogun

5 hours 1 minute, only overslept by one 5 minute snooze button round. (Bed night)

Between not eating enough yesterday and getting a bit less sleep and free doughnuts being available at work this morning some questionable dietary decisions were made.

• Like 1

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

9 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

5 hours 1 minute, only overslept by one 5 minute snooze button round. (Bed night)

Between not eating enough yesterday and getting a bit less sleep and free doughnuts being available at work this morning some questionable dietary decisions were made.

Enh, it happens. Hopefully they were good doughnuts.  I'm a sucker for a good apple fritter.  Otherwise, I can skip them or have one these days. 

I see I disturbed the balance though.  I was in bed at 10:30.  o.0   sorry about that. 

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Sugar & Spice bakery, so pretty darn good. Nord's bakery is my favorite because they have these insanely good maple bacon bars.

Laid down around 23:00 last night but overslept until 08:04, the alarm is set for 05:00. Needless to say I'm running very late for work.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Okay, So the tracking on my Galaxy Gear was not working correctly yesterday therefore I only roughly know I got around 9 hours of sleep, resulting in making up three hours late and having to go directly into "Oh Sh**" mode.

Last night was 7 hours 7minutes at 94% efficiency for 6 hours 45 minutes of actual restful sleep, and I only overslept by 40 minutes.

I have been doing well during the week, and then crappy on Friday and Saturday for bed-time.  No real reason except I stay up to watch movies or game a little.  I need to be consistent on those two days as well.  I'm feeling it today, and really want to do better about about starting the week fresh.

Ok, I'm in need of some cocoa, and maybe even a sing song around the ol' harmonium.  I have not made good choices for the start of the week. 

Also - I will be upgrading the bat-cave to be more cave like soon - possibly this weekend, if I have time (work may be busy). I'm finally done with the self-debate about black-out curtains on the north window.  They need to happen.  The north window is getting a lot of reflected light, night time and early morning, and I'm finding myself reacting to it. 

On the off chance any city planners ever read this thread - I get the desire to save energy by using LED streetlights, but for the love of shut-eye, please get them color tuned to something other than stark bright white, or get some cheap lenses over them that do the same (it'd be nice for better contrast when out driving at night, too).   >.<

• Like 2

I second the get-together for cocoa and a sing-a-long. This week has been a series of not quite enough sleep. Taking a rest from aikido and doing a bunch of stretching with the new GMB program seems to be helping my knees. Moving from being awake from discomfort to just not getting to bed on time.

Yesterday I was better about limiting caffeine to a cup of green tea and a cup of decaf coffee. I was on track to go to bed on time, then Elf backed out on helping me drop off Dumbledore's car at the mechanic's before 10pm. Some silly reason like getting a paper written for class. So I waited for Dumbledore to get done with a conference call so he could drive his own car to the shop. I was productive while I was waiting and got everything set up for today, plus I balanced my checking account. I can feel virtuous about adulting even when I'm grouchy about staying up too late.

Today I'm drinking coffee in hopes of having a more productive day. We'll see how that plays out tonight.

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

third the cocoa and sing along.  Will bring the sheet music.

I haven't been getting to bed on time, but holy cow those blackout curtains.  I think it's the nice combo block of street sound and light that really has been helping.  need better bedtime discipline, but definitely some money well spent on that front.  Final verdict: Oh thank goodness I can sleep again, for the first time in almost two years in both a comfortable bed AND a quiet atmosphere.  Yes.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Yes, ve must have zer meeting vith cocoa, und talk about our struggles keeping on zer vagon.  I, too, have struggled vith the v-vord this veek.  I have made ze bad sleep choices, und become, for a moment, zer child of ze night.  I am so ashamed.

I haf ordered ze new sleep mask und soon there vill be sleep, I promise.  Not vun drop of vakefulness after midnight.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

I second the get-together for cocoa and a sing-a-long. This week has been a series of not quite enough sleep. Taking a rest from aikido and doing a bunch of stretching with the new GMB program seems to be helping my knees. Moving from being awake from discomfort to just not getting to bed on time.

I'm curious about the GMB program - will you be posting about it more in your challenge?  I have some joint issues I want to work on, and the program had an interesting read, so I'll be curious what your opinion is. 

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

Today I'm drinking coffee in hopes of having a more productive day. We'll see how that plays out tonight.

I've actually cut back my coffee.  Granted, I still drink about 4 cups daily, but for me, that's a cut back.  Pretty much not after 2 at this point (I used to sip from a cup throughout the afternoon).  I've been drinking it for so long I seriously feel it when I don't have it, but I can see the sense in weaning back.  If I had other variables under control, it'd be interesting to see what it does or does not do.

7 hours ago, Treva said:

third the cocoa and sing along.  Will bring the sheet music.

Yay! 

7 hours ago, Treva said:

I haven't been getting to bed on time, but holy cow those blackout curtains.  I think it's the nice combo block of street sound and light that really has been helping.  need better bedtime discipline, but definitely some money well spent on that front. 

For bedtime discipline, do you mean just setting a regular time?  Or do you need to re-establish a routine?  My issue is a combination of both.  Also - having read your challenge - just when do you actually sleep?  Wow.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yes, ve must have zer meeting vith cocoa, und talk about our struggles keeping on zer vagon.  I, too, have struggled vith the v-vord this veek.  I have made ze bad sleep choices, und become, for a moment, zer child of ze night.  I am so ashamed.

I haf ordered ze new sleep mask und soon there vill be sleep, I promise.  Not vun drop of vakefulness after midnight.

Did you see? We have an organist bringing sheet music!  Music with Rocks In!

Which sleep mask did you get?  I seem to recall you trying one a few months ago?  Just a replacement, or trying a new one? 

So- as stated above, I need to get back to working on a consistent bedtime, and better evening routine.  I've actually cycled away from later screen time in the week, which is nice, and I have f.lux on my tablet, and that's been working.  5 am Fuzzball has settled into a routine, which is progress.  Unfortunately, it's 'meow, I'm lonely!' and midnight, and 'meow, pet me... I got your hand! ' at 5 am.  So, even when I get to bed early, (say, 10:30), it can be a wakeful night.  This sounds like a bad idea, but I might have to get a second cat so I can lock him out of the room and not feel bad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

For bedtime discipline, do you mean just setting a regular time?  Or do you need to re-establish a routine?  My issue is a combination of both.  Also - having read your challenge - just when do you actually sleep?  Wow.

Both.  I had a regular time before, but I've been studying late so I haven't been able adhere to the time, or the routine.  School getting in the way of...everything.

Maybe I should meditate on a cup of hot cocoa before bed.

Uh, I am known for setting ambitious challenges for myself and not completing all the components.  I sleep in those times when I miss a challenge goal.  I'm trying ^_^ 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

10 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I've actually cut back my coffee.  Granted, I still drink about 4 cups daily, but for me, that's a cut back.  Pretty much not after 2 at this point (I used to sip from a cup throughout the afternoon).  I've been drinking it for so long I seriously feel it when I don't have it, but I can see the sense in weaning back.  If I had other variables under control, it'd be interesting to see what it does or does not do.

Have you tried zer decaf?  Ze coffee habit can indeed be ze habit of ze coffee.  Vhich is fine, ve need ze hydration und ze little breaks in our day, as you know.

For bedtime discipline, do you mean just setting a regular time?  Or do you need to re-establish a routine?  My issue is a combination of both.

What is this "setting a routine"?  I do not understand the vords.

That is very exciting!  Perhaps too much so.  Perhaps ve need ze lullabies, yes?

Which sleep mask did you get?  I seem to recall you trying one a few months ago?  Just a replacement, or trying a new one? 

It got lost in zer move, and vas not really to my tastes.Not zer best qvality, und ze velcro vith the long hair vas a mess.  So no velcro und a simpler design, hopefully vith some nice breathable materials for summer.

This sounds like a bad idea, but I might have to get a second cat so I can lock him out of the room and not feel bad. 

Is there ever a bad time for a second cat?  I mean, if you're committed to vun, vell, take two, they're small...

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

11 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

48 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

That is very exciting!  Perhaps too much so.  Perhaps ve need ze lullabies, yes?

I totally missed this. Agh best guild ever.  My apologies. Ve vill bring ze Vierne Berceuse unt ve vill bring ze muzik for ze shweet schounds of ze organ after un veddy large recital a la Calvin Hampton. But zen veddy shweet schounds like static Muzak also zome nice lullabies yes yes ve hechf lots of sheet Muzak of quiet tings.

also, ve vill bring our rock collection, for ve hechf many.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

But ze Music with Rocks In is so gut vor der stress relief! Much sturm und drang, followed by ze lovely melodies to soothe ze soul.

It got lost in zer move, and vas not really to my tastes.Not zer best qvality, und ze velcro vith the long hair vas a mess.  So no velcro und a simpler design, hopefully vith some nice breathable materials for summer.

I hope you find a comfortable one. Dumbledore uses a sock tucked into the nose piece of his CPAP unit. I hate having something pulling on my ears at night. I used a sleep mask when I was traveling. That and earplugs made it possible to sleep on a plane. I much prefer using blackout curtains and a door snake at home.

Is there ever a bad time for a second cat?  I mean, if you're committed to vun, vell, take two, they're small...

Ze will keep each other company. And vork as a team to get into trouble. You are warned.

Level 56  Viking paladin

11 hours ago, Treva said:

I totally missed this. Agh best guild ever.  My apologies. Ve vill bring ze Vierne Berceuse unt ve vill bring ze muzik for ze shweet schounds of ze organ after un veddy large recital a la Calvin Hampton. But zen veddy shweet schounds like static Muzak also zome nice lullabies yes yes ve hechf lots of sheet Muzak of quiet tings.

also, ve vill bring our rock collection, for ve hechf many.

Do you read Pratchett (Discworld)? 

@sarakingdom zer coffee must be leaded.  Otherwise, why bother? ^.^   Actually, I am admittedly a long term caffeine addict (decades) - I am cutting back though, as stated, and doing better from it.  When I get my sleep under control for a few days in a row, I typically don't go for the afternoon cup, or just one right around noon.  So - goals.  At home I'll have tea in the afternoon if anything. 

Meditating works to slow me down, as well as having a routine at night that I follow (although I'm not the best about following it).

I've also heard that journaling is good for that kind of thing, like just getting your thoughts out and down before you go to lay down. Might be worth a shot.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Treva said:

anybody have thoughts on dealing with anxiety-related sleep deprivation?  I can't get my brain to shut up, and it tends to go on for hours--I get stuck in bed being too tired/anxious to do anything, especially sleep!

I second Kishi on the meditation. Using meditation techniques in bed can help too. Do a focused meditation where you relax each part of your body in turn for several breaths. That takes a while. If you get through the whole thing without falling asleep, Stay in a comfortable, relaxed position and count your exhalations. When you get up to 10, start over at 1. Or you can focus on a mantra if you have one. The idea is to give your brain something to focus on instead of all your problems. Boring is good. After all, you are trying to go to sleep. Lying in bed relaxing comes in at a pretty decent second place to real sleep. 

• Like 3

Level 56  Viking paladin

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I second Kishi on the meditation. Using meditation techniques in bed can help too. Do a focused meditation where you relax each part of your body in turn for several breaths. That takes a while. If you get through the whole thing without falling asleep, Stay in a comfortable, relaxed position and count your exhalations. When you get up to 10, start over at 1. Or you can focus on a mantra if you have one. The idea is to give your brain something to focus on instead of all your problems. Boring is good. After all, you are trying to go to sleep. Lying in bed relaxing comes in at a pretty decent second place to real sleep. 

I'll give this a try tonight too; I didn't have the discipline last night to try it.  The 10 to 1 might work well for me, since I'll often finish a progressive relaxation and still feel stressed!

Current Challenge

Battle Log

All of the above.  I will add to the journalling point:  if there is anything in particular you need to do the next day or need to remember, write it down/send yourself an email/whatever.  That way part of your brain isn't focussed on remembering That Thing That Must Be Done.  You've left a reminder, it's sorted for the night.

Breathing exercises help me with 4 am anxiety.  Hope it helps you.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

10 hours ago, Treva said:

anybody have thoughts on dealing with anxiety-related sleep deprivation?  I can't get my brain to shut up, and it tends to go on for hours--I get stuck in bed being too tired/anxious to do anything, especially sleep!

Meditation is a good one, but if you're gonna break out the big guns on a brain that won't shut up, podcasts.  Filling your brain with other people's words stops it from forming its own, and sometimes the right breezy tone can turn off the anxiety reaction.  A really low volume and a sleep timer is something that you can sleep through and forces your body to stay still to hear, which is surprisingly helpful.  There'll be some sweet spot of talk that's relaxing, and absorbing without being too absorbing.  That's the tricky bit.  If that's still not enough, some slow deep breathing while listening is a good one.

(I've started doing audiobooks that I just leave playing at the lowest volume overnight, in case I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm too tired to think of turning it on to shut my brain up.  That's working pretty well this week.)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Teirin said:

All of the above.  I will add to the journalling point:  if there is anything in particular you need to do the next day or need to remember, write it down/send yourself an email/whatever.  That way part of your brain isn't focussed on remembering That Thing That Must Be Done.  You've left a reminder, it's sorted for the night.

Breathing exercises help me with 4 am anxiety.  Hope it helps you.

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Meditation is a good one, but if you're gonna break out the big guns on a brain that won't shut up, podcasts.  Filling your brain with other people's words stops it from forming its own, and sometimes the right breezy tone can turn off the anxiety reaction.  A really low volume and a sleep timer is something that you can sleep through and forces your body to stay still to hear, which is surprisingly helpful.  There'll be some sweet spot of talk that's relaxing, and absorbing without being too absorbing.  That's the tricky bit.  If that's still not enough, some slow deep breathing while listening is a good one.

(I've started doing audiobooks that I just leave playing at the lowest volume overnight, in case I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm too tired to think of turning it on to shut my brain up.  That's working pretty well this week.)

oh gosh guys thank you thank you this is all really helpful.  I actually was able to sleep last night--20 minutes of yoga, ultra long shower, and a good base-touch with the family back home.  I was all ready to journal except I actually fell asleep, which was awesome, and I slept like a rock.  But I've got my journal next to my bed, and I love the reminder email idea.  Those are definitely thoughts that keep me up at night.

I like the audiobook idea!  Sometimes I'll try too hard to pay attention to podcasts, but audiobooks are a great idea.  Maybe I'll get the Lord of the Rings on tape...

Ya'll are the best and I would send cake if it wouldn't screw up everyone's food macros.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log