The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

The Shogun

On 4/25/2017 at 8:51 PM, sarakingdom said:

Meditation is a good one, but if you're gonna break out the big guns on a brain that won't shut up, podcasts.  Filling your brain with other people's words stops it from forming its own, and sometimes the right breezy tone can turn off the anxiety reaction.

My wife swears by the Sleep With Me podcast. This man has the dullest, dreariest Eeyore voice. He'll ramble for about 15 minutes, then go into some sort of bedtime story that drones on for about an hour. In one episode, he just describes an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in order to talk for an hour.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, ICB said:
On 4/25/2017 at 9:51 PM, sarakingdom said:

Meditation is a good one, but if you're gonna break out the big guns on a brain that won't shut up, podcasts.  Filling your brain with other people's words stops it from forming its own, and sometimes the right breezy tone can turn off the anxiety reaction.

My wife swears by the Sleep With Me podcast. This man has the dullest, dreariest Eeyore voice. He'll ramble for about 15 minutes, then go into some sort of bedtime story that drones on for about an hour. In one episode, he just describes an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in order to talk for an hour.

May do this whole bloody thing.  Gettin real tired of waking up at 4 AM like clockwork.  Droning descriptions of Star Trek here I come.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

On 5/31/2017 at 10:20 AM, Treva said:

May do this whole bloody thing.  Gettin real tired of waking up at 4 AM like clockwork.  Droning descriptions of Star Trek here I come.

It may help to realize that biphasic sleep is normal for humans. Prior to the industrial revolution, people slept in two phases, with a break of an hour or two in the middle of their eight hours.  (The literature of the time talked about first sleep and second sleep, and all the stuff people did in between - visiting, card games, eating their midnight snack.)  So waking up at 4pm, if you go to bed at midnight, is just a normal human body thing.  Not worth stressing about.

(Still nice to have some podcast, if you don't get back to sleep easily, though.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On February 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Mistr said:

I can totally ignore an alarm when I am in the middle of something.

Same.

Promising myself something fun is a good tip - sleeping is probably the hardest of my challenges, and it's difficult to figure out how to bargain with myself when I'm sleepy and cranky and stubborn at night.

Solunaria

of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End

Previous Challenge

On May 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM, ICB said:

Given that I've found listening to other people's voices really helps, this might be something to check out. X)

Solunaria

of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End

Previous Challenge

Still don't get enough sleep on average, still crashing on the couch at night, still oversleeping my alarm in the AM.  But I seem to be averaging closer to 6-7 hours nightly than my old 5-6 hours which I guess is a bit of an improvement.  Oh, and currently back from the dead :)

• Like 4

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

14 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Still don't get enough sleep on average, still crashing on the couch at night, still oversleeping my alarm in the AM.  But I seem to be averaging closer to 6-7 hours nightly than my old 5-6 hours which I guess is a bit of an improvement.  Oh, and currently back from the dead :)

As Mr. Chriek says, "Every day, in every vay, ve get better und better".  Ve cannot argue vith improvements.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours 29 minutes last night.  Fell asleep on the couch and started snoring, woke up to actually get into bed, got kicked back out to the couch by the wife for snoring an hour later. Also, the new puppy snores as well.

f9868ad0abae92deed595257b753db67.jpg
  • Like 2

8 hours and 28 minutes (couch night).  I thought I hit snooze when the alarm went off at 05:00 but I must have turned the alarm off.  Next thing I know they wife was shouting at me that it was already 07:00, and I had only 30 minutes to get dressed, pack work clothes (I don't wear my work clothes while cycling to work), walk the dog, make and pound a cup of coffee, and then get out the door to head to the totalitarian capitalist dystopian hell I work at. (The job isn't that bad, it's just dealing with used car dealers on the phone all day really sucks.)

• Like 1

4 hours 55 minutes, got to bed late due to having to run some emergency errands (ran out of dog and cat foot at the same time - The dog was going nuts and the cat was building weapons and quoting Kropotkin's "The Conquest Of Bread," something had to be done), overslept the 05:00 alarm but woke up for the 05:30 backup alarm.

Sunday: 10hr 27 min - Sleep, glorious sleep, Yay!!!

Monday: 6 hr 24 min - Woke up[ to my backup alarm (30 minutes late to the primary), had a bit of a rough mo0rning and ended up taking a mental health day from work.

Last night: 5 hr 27 min - woke up to the dog who had another bout of stomach upset, so lots of early morning carpet scrubbing.  He's cutting his big doggie teeth right now, and that seems to be the cause of the upset.

4 hr 30 min - got woken up at 3:30 hearing SquirrelKing dealing with the dog who was whining, thanks to having made another mess in his pen. I was able to get back to sleep after cleaning that up but ended up ignoring the primary alarm at 05:00 and snooze buttoning the secondary alarm at 05:30 - this was quite intentional though.

How to Break Your Sleep Procrastination Habit

Yeah, it's me.  I just don't go to bed.  These are the two points that I'm going to be working on:

First, you need to understand what’s taking you away from sleep, says Nancy H. Rothstein, self-named “The Sleep Ambassador,” and director of corporate sleep programs for workplace performance company Circadian. Look at what you’re doing instead of going to bed and think about why you’re doing it, she says.

Getting into a bedtime routine won’t automatically make you sleepy, but having rituals can help foster better sleep habits, Rothstein says. Power down devices after a specific time. Change into your pajamas. Choose the activities that are most relaxing to you.

• Like 2

Zer sleep is so hard!  I haff been very good, und it is so difficult every night.  It does not get easier.  I do not vant to sleep, und must make myself close ze eyes.  I have zer bedtime, und it slips very slightly, but zer is mostly ze sleep, und every night is a trial.  Ve must take zer pledge vun day at a time, but it is not easy, my goodness, no.

Brothers und sisters, I need zer cocoa und a singalong.  Und perhaps an apple to bite.  Is it vorth it not being vun of the children of zer night, I ask you?  Vell, of course, it is, but...

How is everyone else doing vith their sleep pledges this challenge?  Progress?  Backsliding?  Problems to trouble-shoot?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

Ah sister, I haff been struggling also. So many things call for attention in the evening.

Vhat is the evening for, if not for doing all ze things that still need to be done, I ask you?  Vhy is this so difficult?  Now is the first time I have had to sit down and do things, and it is half an hour past my bedtime!  It is not fair.

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am tempted to try ze special cocoa. I vould be happy to join you in ze singalong.

Ve perhaps need to see if there is a new songbook.  "Lullabies of Uberwald", perhaps.

• Like 1