• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Black Ribbon Thread (The Sleeping Quarters)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

So meditating while lyring still could help, too. Is that true?

 

I've always found that to be true.  It's harder to sleep when the mind or body is tense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grettings fellow ribboners!  I hope ve haf all had a productiv week zero! 

 

Is there one concrete thing you can do to improve your sleeping situation this week?   For me, it will be to hang curtains by the end of the week.  Ze chamber of sleep needs to be as dark as a cave, wizout all those pesky vurms and dripping of zer water.  Perhaps with ze curtains blocking out the curse'd street lights, I will be able to summon ze Resting Dark, or ze much more powerful Slumbering Dark.

 

Now...where did I put that book of mine signs?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eye masks are awesome.  Between using an eye mask and increasing my inhaler dose, my average sleep time is up to 6+ hours on work nights.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I'm a bit behind on my updates, so here goes:

 

Log for 28 Oct 2016

Sleep:  7 hr 29 min @ 94% efficiency 7 hr 3 min actual sleep

 

Log for 29 Oct 2016

Sleep:  7 hr 4 min - broken @ 1st round 1 hr 16 min 94% efficiency 1 hr 12 min actual sleep; 2nd round 5 hr 48 min @ 92% efficiency 5 hr 22 min actual sleep.

 

Log for 30 Oct 2016

Sleep:  9 hr 33 min @ 93% efficiency 8 hr 56 min actual sleep

 

Log for 31 Oct 2016

Sleep:  6 hr 5 min @ 94% efficiency 5 hr 45 min actual sleep

 

Log for 1 Nov 2016

Sleep:  6 hr -- No efficiency reading, I had to enter this one manually.  The smart vatch only called it 2 hours, and I know I got vay more sleep than that, since I laid down at 11:00 pm and actually heard my 5:00 am alarm before snooze buttoning (only did it twice...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2016 at 0:42 PM, sarakingdom said:

I had zer insomnia last night, and I vish to discuss two bits of sleep science vith the League.

 

First, ze tventy-minute naps do a great deal of good vhen you are sleep-deprived.  Every six hours is vhat they tested, but really vhenever you can, I vould think.

 

Second, and I cannot find ze study on this vun, but vhen you cannot sleep, lying qvietly und resting provides many of the same benefits as sleep.  So do not feel zer distress vhen you cannot fall asleep, but lie qvietly und enjoy zer night.  Zer dark und gloomy night, und its beautiful music.  (This is controversial, and clearly it is not ze same as sleep vhen it comes to benefits, but you take vhat you can get, yes?  It is still good to rest the body and not feel added stress about zer insomnia.)

 

I haf used ze 20 minute nap on very bad days. It does help.

 

On 10/31/2016 at 4:45 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

So meditating while lyring still could help, too. Is that true?

 

I completely agree with Sara - yes, lying still is the second-best thing to sleeping. The body gets to rest even if the brain does not. Meditating keeps the brain from running around in circles. It may even help with falling back asleep.

 

19 hours ago, Teirin said:

Eye masks are awesome.  Between using an eye mask and increasing my inhaler dose, my average sleep time is up to 6+ hours on work nights.

 

Yay for better sleep! I am glad you found an eye mask that works for you. I have one I got for free on a long plane flight. The elastic bothers my ears. It is better than nothing, but annoying. If I could not make my room really dark I would have to get a higher quality mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have one I got for free on a long plane flight. The elastic bothers my ears. It is better than nothing, but annoying.

 

I've been known, in winter, to use a bobble-hat pulled down over the eyes, or, when on vacation, a soft t-shirt draped over the eyes.  (You do need to toss and turn carefully in that case, but it's doable, and it's pleasantly not taut across the eyes.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The elastics are irritating but I've gotten used to it.  I also got a nicer one with lavender in it.  Smells nice and I like the pressure on my eyes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Teirin said:

I like the pressure on my eyes.

 

I like that too, I have a pair that has a sort of pillowey insert at the bottom... but I never wear them at home for some reason, only for travel.

______

 

I kind of love the emphasis everyone here puts on sleep... And all this pre bed bath talk has made me missed my old soaks. (Not to mention that an ice bath or epsom soak has sounded really appealing after a rough workout)

 

2 things I could do (maybe not this week but soon...) really scrub the tub so I'd feel comfortable bathing in it, and also unplugging the roku stick from the bedroom tv. It glows all freakin night!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 3:13 PM, sarakingdom said:

I've been known, in winter, to use a bobble-hat pulled down over the eyes, or, when on vacation, a soft t-shirt draped over the eyes.  (You do need to toss and turn carefully in that case, but it's doable, and it's pleasantly not taut across the eyes.)

I'm currently using the bogeyman self-defense - a light blanket over the top of the head.  It's kind of nice since it also muffles sound a little.  I basically swipe masks off my face, so curtains will be the way to go but the blanket works in cooler weather - bed is on a north wall and I don't have a heater in the room. 

 

10 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I kind of love the emphasis everyone here puts on sleep... And all this pre bed bath talk has made me missed my old soaks. (Not to mention that an ice bath or epsom soak has sounded really appealing after a rough workout)

Velcome!  Ve are ze members of ze League of Temperance, alzo known as ze Black Ribboners (a number of us are total Pratchett/Discworld nerds - or maybe that's just me and Sarakingdom -  and who doesn't like to sometimes talk like a Vampire?)  Ve have ze meetings on Monday, sometimes a singsong, and ve encourage ze drinking of ze cocoa (see previous pages for a couple of ideas, or share your own).  Ve are all working to avoid ze v-word vakefulness and every day be a little stronger.  Ze accent is not required. 

 

Quote

2 things I could do (maybe not this week but soon...) really scrub the tub so I'd feel comfortable bathing in it, and also unplugging the roku stick from the bedroom tv. It glows all freakin night!

I find it really depends on the glowing light for me.  It helps that I have dark blue walls in the bed room, so there isn't a lot of reflection (well, the ceiling is standard white, as is the door).  I think I'll have more of a feel for any additional light after I get the windows controlled.  I don't have a tv - I've not ever had one in a bedroom, actually (even when I had one). 

 

On 10/31/2016 at 2:45 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

So meditating while lying still could help, too. Is that true?

When I was more in practice, I preferred a mantra instead of my meditation since I didn't want to associate the meditation to falling asleep.  The use of a mantra is kind of a side practice in support of meditation to engage the brain whenever it's idling or you want to minimize the random thoughts and noise, but you're not engaged in your meditation practice.  That's just me though.  Then again, if you're that restless, maybe just getting up and sitting for 15 minutes or so might still the mind enough to sleep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Log for 3 Nov 2016

Sleep:  5 hr 51 min @ 92% efficiency 5 hr 23 min actual sleep

Last night vas American Horror Story so like every Vednesday, I vas up a bit later than I like to be. After settling down it became apparent the squirrels vere haffing a fight club on zee roof. This did not contribute vell to getting restful sleep.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2016 at 9:42 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

Velcome!  Ve are ze members of ze League of Temperance, alzo known as ze Black Ribboners (a number of us are total Pratchett/Discworld nerds - or maybe that's just me and Sarakingdom -  and who doesn't like to sometimes talk like a Vampire?)  Ve have ze meetings on Monday, sometimes a singsong, and ve encourage ze drinking of ze cocoa (see previous pages for a couple of ideas, or share your own).  Ve are all working to avoid ze v-word vakefulness and every day be a little stronger.  Ze accent is not required. 

 

I think I really need this. Feeling crummy today because I couldn't power down last night, compared to a great sleep the night before that left me feeling amazing yesterday! I'll probably get used to reading the accents eventually ;) it's starting to get easier anyways LOL I do not know Discworld... but on first google it looks like something that will have to be remedied!!! (Meetings? Like... here?)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haf decided to curtail my experiments vit ze cocoa because of ze side effects. My jeans are getting tight. Ov course, ze Halloween candy has nothing to do vit dat. On ze positive side, I haf been avoiding ze coffee all veek.

 

Last night I did not snack after 8:00pm and was in bed on time. I would have been asleep on time too if Dumbledore hadn't been reminded at the last minute that he had agreed to have a friend stay over at our house. I successfully did not get up and talk to said friend. (We got to talk at breakfast this morning).

 

I followed ze advice of ze wise @sarakingdom and thought of pleasant things when I was wide awake at 2am. I had to beat the rodent part of my brain with a stick to make it shut up. Zen is good for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I think I really need this. Feeling crummy today because I couldn't power down last night, compared to a great sleep the night before that left me feeling amazing yesterday! I'll probably get used to reading the accents eventually ;) it's starting to get easier anyways LOL I do not know Discworld... but on first google it looks like something that will have to be remedied!!! (Meetings? Like... here?)

Vell...ze accent varies.  Feel free to add in a random z or v - it's all cheeky vampire fun (ve're all reformed of course.  Oh my, vord yes.).  This will make a whole lot more sense if you get into Discworld.  (it's not required although it helps with the goofy references). 

 

We check in through the week, and Mondays are kind of a 'what are you doing/testing for the week, and if I'm on my game, a little something about sleep and research - @sarakingdom  set a very high bar (I'm covering this challenge). 

 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I haf decided to curtail my experiments vit ze cocoa because of ze side effects. My jeans are getting tight. Ov course, ze Halloween candy has nothing to do vit dat. On ze positive side, I haf been avoiding ze coffee all veek.

Zer is alvays a balance.  How has the lack of coffee been going?  I'd probably collapse in a heap and die, or wish I did.  Or the people around me might wish that. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And on the 8th day, God said "It's kind of bright. We need some curtains around here so I can sleep in.  All creation in 7 days is a lot of work.  Let there be curtains!"

 

And there were.  And the bedroom was dark. 

 

Amen. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2016 at 9:42 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

When I was more in practice, I preferred a mantra instead of my meditation since I didn't want to associate the meditation to falling asleep.  The use of a mantra is kind of a side practice in support of meditation to engage the brain whenever it's idling or you want to minimize the random thoughts and noise, but you're not engaged in your meditation practice.  That's just me though. 

 

I decided I wasn't going to be concerned about associating meditation with sleep.  It's about getting the mind out of the way so you can do what needs to happen.  Sitting in meditation is the practice, but this is the practical situation where you need it to accomplish a task.  (But then, I rarely have a problem with falling asleep while sitting in meditation.  If I'm essentially lying down in sleep mode, yeah, or seriously sleep deprived, possibly.  But if I'm that seriously sleep deprived, I probably need the rest more than the meditation.)

 

Mantra practice is interesting.  I guess that's a conversation we should take over to the meditation room, but I'd be interested in hearing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Vell...ze accent varies.  Feel free to add in a random z or v - it's all cheeky vampire fun (ve're all reformed of course.  Oh my, vord yes.).  This will make a whole lot more sense if you get into Discworld.  (it's not required although it helps with the goofy references). 

 

The great thing about this element of Discworld is that the corny Dracula parody makes sense to everyone, and the parody of the Victorian temperance movement also makes sense without Discworld, and it's relatively minor worldbuilding in the books, so the joke isn't dependent on knowing the books at all.  Anything that requires explanation, I wouldn't really want to use for a group thing, because non-Discworld readers wouldn't be in on the joke, but this is a joke they're totally in on, regardless. I mean, who's not up for a cheesy vampire parody?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I decided I wasn't going to be concerned about associating meditation with sleep.  It's about getting the mind out of the way so you can do what needs to happen.  Sitting in meditation is the practice, but this is the practical situation where you need it to accomplish a task.  (But then, I rarely have a problem with falling asleep while sitting in meditation.  If I'm essentially lying down in sleep mode, yeah, or seriously sleep deprived, possibly.  But if I'm that seriously sleep deprived, I probably need the rest more than the meditation.)

 

Mantra practice is interesting.  I guess that's a conversation we should take over to the meditation room, but I'd be interested in hearing more.

I think for me it was a matter of not wanting to add an extra wrinkle to my practice - if I meditate while falling asleep, will meditation become a trigger for wanting to fall asleep later?  Plus, the guide I was reading (Eknath Easwaran) was definitely against meditation for sleep (I found passage meditation to be something that worked better for me than breath or emptiness practice, or other Zen).  The link has his explanation of matra use, but basically it's used to keep your mind from going 'squirrel!', and kind of emergency meditation all rolled into one, and suitable for all mental down time, including getting to sleep. 

 

I should really start practicing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Epsom soaking bubble bath hapenned yesterday, but possibly too early in the day, I ended up napping-ish  on the couch before dinner. (well, not quite sleeping, on the verge and resting anyways). Woke up achy and groggy again this morning after 8+ hours and actually acted on my first thoughts of the day... so this just hapenned:

 

Z1B42Oim.png

 

Quality report by the end of the month :) 

 

I spent some time last night reading back on this thread for clues and foundations ya'll have laid out. I have yet to find the science that will convince me to allow the extra sugar in cocoa (though there was a mention of pre bed protein and some other such that I can get onboard with), so I will continue looking and keep an open mind :D 

 

Meanwhile, the ideas you guys were tossing around last challenge about what keeps us up, what is missing, the why... got me thinking about boredom and movement. I often feel that if I'm not in motion, or talking to 100 people at once, that I'm just... not accomplishing enough. In my head I call this boredom, but I imagine it's much more likely that I feel like I haven't done enough, that I haven't accomplished enough, that plain and simple, I'm just not good enough. (No shock there, this is my go-to self put down.) Food for thought, thank you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check in as this past weekend has been, vell ... not zee best.

 

So for zee fifth, I had gotten 7 hours und 18 minutes off zee sleep.  Now, zee fifth of every November marks zee anniversary off my son's making.  As such, ve had planned a great celebration.  Vell, my vife had made a great cake.  (* to be specific this was a pull-apart cupcake, cake, made with 30 from scratch dark chocolate cupcakes w/ caramel filling, hand frosted and decorated with from-scratch buttercream frosting*)  Vhen she went to move zee great cake to prepare zee table for the feast, und zee entire thing fell to zee floor.  Zee vife vas crying, zee child vas crying, zee vife vas crying more because zee child vas crying.

 

A very large trashbag, three rounds of spot shampooing zee carpet, und a half a pint of vhiskey later (shared between myself und SquirrelKing) ve haff made arrangements to postpone zee celebration until the following day. 

 

Another batch off zee cupcakes, gets made, und everybody tries to get rest.  8 hours and 48 minutes off broken restless sleep later, Ve are ready to try zis all once again.  Zee second time zere is no cake disaster, und a joyous celebration is enjoyed by all.

 

I consume a bit much sweets during zee celebration (two cupcakes and a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream) und zee sugar makes for another fairly restless night, but things should settle down to normal once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2016 at 7:19 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

An Epsom soaking bubble bath hapenned yesterday, but possibly too early in the day, I ended up napping-ish  on the couch before dinner. (well, not quite sleeping, on the verge and resting anyways). Woke up achy and groggy again this morning after 8+ hours and actually acted on my first thoughts of the day... so this just hapenned:

 

Z1B42Oim.png

 

Quality report by the end of the month :) 

 

I spent some time last night reading back on this thread for clues and foundations ya'll have laid out. I have yet to find the science that will convince me to allow the extra sugar in cocoa (though there was a mention of pre bed protein and some other such that I can get onboard with), so I will continue looking and keep an open mind :D 

 

Meanwhile, the ideas you guys were tossing around last challenge about what keeps us up, what is missing, the why... got me thinking about boredom and movement. I often feel that if I'm not in motion, or talking to 100 people at once, that I'm just... not accomplishing enough. In my head I call this boredom, but I imagine it's much more likely that I feel like I haven't done enough, that I haven't accomplished enough, that plain and simple, I'm just not good enough. (No shock there, this is my go-to self put down.) Food for thought, thank you. 

Hooray for the new mattress!

 

Vell, you know, sometimes zer cocoa is zer cocoa, and sometimes it's ze warm cup of herbal tea, and other times it's ze coconut or dairy milk viz ze tumeric and ginger.   But usually zer cocoa is zer cocoa.

 

It is not so much sugar if you follow ze recipe of @sarakingdom - cocoa powder itself has no sugar, unless you buy cocoa mix or some kind of sweetened cocoa powder.  You could sweeten with honey or molasses (thrown some cinnamon and nutmeg in there, too), and get some micro nutrients, and minerals, in the case of molasses. My recipe will definitely throw some extra sugar in there, but overall not too terribly much.  As a balance, you could add in a scoop of unflavored gelatin (this works in any hot drink).    I remember reading on a bullet-proof blog last year that a little sugar with protein sometimes is a good combination, especially for active people, but it's definitely n=1 in terms testing.
 

For the food for thought - you mean you want to do all the things and deal with all the people?  That seems to be common around here :)  (I'm probably the token slacker in this bunch - someone has to balance out the universe).

 

 

Edited by ChrisWithaStick
by and buy are not the same word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallo!  Hallo!  It is Monday, it is ze crazy Daylight Savings switch in the US (I sincerely hope the rest of the world is spared this silliness), and I haf read that parts of your brain, including individual neurons, can be asleep while you're awake, especially while fatigued.  The article doesn't go into it, but I wonder if this is part the cognitive slowdown when tired, or the sluggish, unclear thinking. 

 

While it's a little too early to make concrete statements, the curtains seem to be helping.  1) I don't have to have something over my eyes, and 2) I seem to be sleeping more soundly.  That, or the cat is being easy on me this week (he's currently monitoring my typing).   Maybe both.  Anyway, so far, so good and wow, there was more light than even I thought due to the streetlight. 

 

7 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

So for zee fifth, I had gotten 7 hours und 18 minutes off zee sleep.  Now, zee fifth of every November marks zee anniversary off my son's making.  As such, ve had planned a great celebration.  Vell, my vife had made a great cake.  (* to be specific this was a pull-apart cupcake, cake, made with 30 from scratch dark chocolate cupcakes w/ caramel filling, hand frosted and decorated with from-scratch buttercream frosting*)  Vhen she went to move zee great cake to prepare zee table for the feast, und zee entire thing fell to zee floor.  Zee vife vas crying, zee child vas crying, zee vife vas crying more because zee child vas crying.

Oof.  Ze falling of ze cake...zer crying...I can understand ze whiskey and ze disturbed sleep.  I'm happy to see the follow-up turned out well.

 

7 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

I consume a bit much sweets during zee celebration (two cupcakes and a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream) und zee sugar makes for another fairly restless night, but things should settle down to normal once again.

So - again, zer is ze balance. 

 

Ze current week will be more of the same and seeing how the curtains affect sleep over several days.  There is still a side window to contend with, but it's not facing the street, so much less light comes from it, and I do have blinds.  Anyone have any additional experiments to try, or planning to stay the course in general? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Vell, you know, sometimes zer cocoa is zer cocoa, and sometimes it's ze warm cup of herbal tea, and other times it's ze coconut or dairy milk viz ze tumeric and ginger.   But usually zer cocoa is zer cocoa.

 

Ah, yes, ze milk vith ze turmeric and ginger (and maybe a tiny spoon of sugar).  It is very nice.  And zer mint tea.  Und also zer cocoa, vhich is a classic.

 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

It is not so much sugar if you follow ze recipe of @sarakingdom - cocoa powder itself has no sugar, unless you buy cocoa mix or some kind of sweetened cocoa powder.

 

I definitely make zer cocoa far less sveet than most.  Like a dark chocolate cocoa.  There are 15g in a tablespoon of sugar, vhich is far less than zer serving of boxed cocoa.  Und if you like zer dark chocolate, you can gradually reduce it from there.  (I have in zer past made it vithout any added sugar vhatsoever.  It is not of course sveet, but very much like zer cocoa anyvay.)

 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

While it's a little too early to make concrete statements, the curtains seem to be helping.  1) I don't have to have something over my eyes, and 2) I seem to be sleeping more soundly.  That, or the cat is being easy on me this week (he's currently monitoring my typing).   Maybe both.

 

Perhaps zer cat likes ze darkness, too.  He may not get ze night time signals vith the street lights.

 

9 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

this was a pull-apart cupcake, cake, made with 30 from scratch dark chocolate cupcakes w/ caramel filling, hand frosted and decorated with from-scratch buttercream frosting

 

I vish to be eating this cake.

 

9 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Another batch off zee cupcakes, gets made, und everybody tries to get rest.  8 hours and 48 minutes off broken restless sleep later, Ve are ready to try zis all once again.  Zee second time zere is no cake disaster, und a joyous celebration is enjoyed by all.

 

Hurrah for zer replacement cake und zer successful celebration!

 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Oof.  Ze falling of ze cake...zer crying...I can understand ze whiskey and ze disturbed sleep.

 

Vun qvite understands, yes.

 

1 hour ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Anyone have any additional experiments to try, or planning to stay the course in general? 

 

I am sick und vish to have some sleep at all.  Vhy it is so hard to sleep vhen sick, I do not know.  (Und also, it is a bad time to be sleeping extra amounts, because many things must be done, und I have no Igor to do zem for me.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.