2016: The Game [Maia's Training Log]

So this is sort of a respawn for me. I really liked this idea I came up with last year, where the entire year’s worth of challenges were one game building up to accomplishing my year-long goals by the end. Unfortunately, I didn’t stick with it and now I’m in an even worse place than I was this time last year. I feel like I’ve had to respawn so many times that honestly… I’m a little self conscious even trying this again here. But I’m going to give it one more go. So here it is:

khfaq12door.gif

2016: The Game

Similar rules to last year:

• I start at zero and see how many levels I can climb/worlds I can defeat

• I have to complete all challenge targets to earn one level

• I can’t move to another world until I’ve defeated the one I’m in

• Year-end goals are each worth a full level

I missed the first challenge of the year because I was so busy (just moved to Texas!), so level 1 starts this month. I actually put this challenge together last weekend, but I’ve been keeping track on paper and I’ve done pretty well so far.

Last year’s record: Level 0

Current progress: Level 1 (updated 03.04.16)

Year-long goals (each worth 1 additional level):

• 50 Push Ups (in one workout session)

• 10 Pull Ups (in one workout session)

• Deadlift 150 lbs

• Squat 100 lbs (these may change, just picking arbitrary numbers for now)

• Do at least one class for each of these activities: Martial Arts or Kickboxing, Aerial Silks or Hand Balancing, Parkour, Team Sports

• Reach 25% Body Fat

• Perfect Straddle

• Perfect Split

• Perfect Ring Support

Worlds to defeat:

• 02.07.16 - 02.26.16 : Island of Yamatai

• 02.29.16 - 03.25.16 : The Capitol

• 03.28.16 - ??.??.?? : Unknown

• Undiscovered world

• Undiscovered world

• Undiscovered world

I thought it would be fitting to start with Tomb Raider since that’s where I failed last year. I just made the challenge way too complicated and tried to change too much at once. This time, I’m starting with the basics.

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Current world: Neverland

World 1: Island of Yamatai - Seek Shelter

02.07.16 - 02.26.16

425385-lara-croft-tombraider-tomb-raider

Target 1: Set a foundation (work out for 30+ minutes 9 times)

Target 2: Start a fire (cook 15 meals)

Target 3: Search for other survivors (gather support from rebellion forums/rebel women facebook group)

Bonus: Protect against the elements (finish unpacking everything by end of challenge)

Starting stats:

Weight: 188.8 lbs
Body Fat: 35.1%
Push Ups: 0
Pull Ups: 0

Ending stats: 

Weight: 189.2 lbs

Body Fat: 35.5%

Push Ups: 1

Pull Ups: 0

Progress Reports

Target 1 Workouts Completed: 9/9
02.08.16 - Strength
02.10.16 - Strength
02.12.16 - Strength
02.17.16 - Strength

02.19.16 - Strength

02.21.16 - Strength

02.24.16 - Strength

02.27.16 - Strength

02.29.16 - Strength

Target 2 Meals Cooked: 15/15
02.12.16 - Cooked dinner (taco ring… not the healthiest thing in the world, but I just want to establish a habit of cooking instead of eating out or pantry-binging for now)
02.15.16 - Cooked lunch (chicken/bell pepper/blueberries)
02.16.16 - Cooked dinner (spaghetti, meat sauce, salad)
02.17.16 - Cooked breakfast (boiled egg/toast) and lunch (chicken/kale salad)

02.18.16 - Cooked lunch (chicken/avocado/bell pepper/mushrooms)

02.19.16 - Cooked dinner (chicken enchilada stuffed zucchini) 
02.20.16 - Cooked lunch (veggies/reheated brisket) and dinner (pizza  :orange:)

02.22.16 - Cooked breakfast (avocado blt egg salad)

02.23.16 - Cooked breakfast

02.24.16 - Cooked breakfast

02.25.16 - Cooked breakfast

02.27.16 - Cooked breakfast and lunch

Target 3 Support Gathered:
02.12.16 - Posted challenge on training log

02.19.16 - Acquired new myfitnesspal friend

02.21.16 - Posted to Accountabilibuddies forum

02.22.16 - Posted to Rebel Women

02.29.16 - Gathered accountabilibuddy group!

Bonus - Boxes Unpacked: 9/15
02.08.16 - Unpacked 1 box

02.29.16 - Unpacked 2 boxes

03.01.16 - Unpacked 3 boxes

03.03.16 - Unpacked 3 boxes

tumblr_md4ip1atpz1rtbisno1_500.gif

I can do this.

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I'm getting closer to a habit of cooking, but I still have a ways to go. As for workouts, I did really well last week but yesterday I felt really tired and kind of weak (plus I was busy) so I didn't workout. Today I feel sick. I barely want to move, much less work out. Not sure if I'm going to attempt it or not. If I wasn't dizzy too, I'd probably just go for it but I'm not sure what I can handle safely. I'm going to unpack some boxes tonight so I can at least make progress in one area of this challenge.

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Rotisserie chicken w/ cheese and a kale salad for lunch. Not hungry for dinner, but I'll probably have some leftovers. I did work out around 11. :) I have not unpacked at all today but I got to lesson three of my psychology self study and I'm planning on reading at least half a chapter of biology before I hit the sack.

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I eat Romaine and Spinach salads.  I tried a piece of Kale once and it tasted horrible too me.  Is kale the main ingredient in your salad?  I've heard people say they kind of hide it in other things to blunt the taste.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I eat Romaine and Spinach salads.  I tried a piece of Kale once and it tasted horrible too me.  Is kale the main ingredient in your salad?  I've heard people say they kind of hide it in other things to blunt the taste.

I'm really picky with kale, I usually don't care for it. I've had two salads with kale that I liked. A marinaded kale salad with cherry tomatoes in some kind of citrus juice, it did something to the kale to make it yummy. And the one I had tonight was a chopped kale/brussel sprout salad kit from Tom Thumb. It had lemon vinaigrette and parmesan in it too. Really yummy.

I generally either stick to spinach salads or avoid them. I don't care much for the texture of regular lettuce. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Cooked lunch: rotisserie chicken w/ bbq sauce, half a bell pepper, some fresh mushrooms, half an avocado. I ended up not eating all of the mushrooms because they tasted kind of like a radish... and that just didn't seem right to me, lol. I'm thinking they're ready to retire. 

Did another strength workout today, but I changed it up. When I first started getting back into working out (10 workouts ago), I was having a hard time completing a reasonable amount of reps in everything I attempted. I had gotten so weak, it's crazy. So instead of having a goal of a certain number of reps, I've been doing 30 second AMRAP sets. It's worked really well and kept me motivated, because I'm allowed to pause without feeling like I'm wimping out. Today I felt like I was ready to graduate from that, and I was right! It's a small victory, but a victory none-the-less and I'm excited. So here's today's workout:

5 push ups, knees

7 ring pull ups, toes in doorway

10 squats, 10 lbs

5 push ups, knees

10 squats, 10 lbs

30s squirm

30s plank

60s rest

10 triceps extensions, 5 lbs

10/10 rows, 10 lbs

7 deadlifts, dumbbell, 20 lbs

10/10 rows, 10 lbs

7 deadlifts, dumbbell, 20 lbs

10 reverse crunches, knees bent

60s rest

5 push ups, knee

10/10 rows, 10 lbs

12/12 outer thigh mat lifts

10/10 inner thigh mat lifts

10 leg raises, ABS style

20 bicycle crunches

30s plank

stretch

Also, I made the most amazing post-workout protein drink today. It tastes like a milkshake. Huge victory, because I have a hard time getting enough protein, and never want to eat protein after I work out, so protein powder is my only option. Every shake I've made so far has been disgusting. This time I put a little bit of raw unfiltered honey and a bit of peanut butter in it, and it was fantastic. When I find a job and have grocery money again, I'll probably switch to almond butter, but other than that, I think I've found a keeper. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I made chicken enchilada stuffed zucchini boats for dinner tonight. They were delicious! 

IMG_1807%201.jpg

IMG_1808%201.jpg

(They look like pickles, but I swear they're zucchini)

If only I had pictures of the look on my family's faces when they saw what was for dinner. My dad usually eats a ton, and he only had one. They both said they were good, but I could tell they were like, "where's the bread???"

I thought they were delicious, so I'm happy. And I have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I'm so excited! I just did my first real push up! No knees, no bad form, just a regular push up. I could only do one, but I've been working towards this on and off for a very long time. Yay!

Celebration time.  Happy dance!  Great job!

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Well, there are 5 days, 6 meals and 14 boxes left in this challenge. You know what that means. 

Maximum effort. 

Here's today's workout:

5 knee push ups

7 ring pull ups

10 dumbbell squats, 10 lbs

5 knee push ups

7 ring pull ups

10 dumbbell squats, 10 lbs

:30 squirm

:20 plank

rest

10 dumbbell rows, 10 lbs

7 dumbbell deadlifts, 20 lbs

10 triceps extensions, 10 lbs

10 dumbbell rows, 10 lbs

10 reverse crunches, knees bent

rest

8 knee push ups

7 ring pull ups

10 dumbbell squats

20 bicycle crunches

rest

15 bench presses, 20 lbs

10 dumbbell rows, 10 lbs

20 bicycle crunches

stretch

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Fell a bit off track today. My family got some stressful news late last night, and then we ended up having to take my dad to the ER. I didn't get home until around 4am and I am not a night person. Barely slept and didn't feel up to working out this morning/afternoon. I'm gonna try to workout tonight, but no guarantees. I might just push it to tomorrow.

Didn't cook today. Just a lot of studying and job hunting. And cleaning. And no boxes unpacked. I've been so busy with this upcoming bio test that everything else has kind of been pushed to the side.

I'm just gonna try to get some solid rest tonight and do better tomorrow.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Worked out yesterday and cooked a few more breakfasts. Looks like the real challenge is going to be unpacking my boxes. I have a biology test tonight, so as soon as that's out of the way I'll make it my weekend project. Some boxes are definitely going to be long term storage, but I have to at least go through them to verify for it to count. Here goes :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

I skipped my workout yesterday. Made the mistake of thinking I could work out after breakfast. It never seems to happen if I don't do it first thing on a fairly empty stomach. Lesson learned (hopefully for good this time), I worked out this morning. I'm switching to Stronglifts 5x5 because I tend to try and do every exercise known to man when I work out and it's just too much. It's fun, but it's overwhelming trying to keep track of it all. Stronglifts is simple, works the full body and it gives me a clear goal to work towards. I may add in some dips, push ups and pull ups, but other than that I'm going to stick with Stronglifts for a while. I'm going to do something low-impact and fun this weekend (biking or something) to meet my challenge goal of 9 workouts. 

As for meals cooked, I have 2 left. I'm going to the store today and I'm planning to make Sweet Potato Hash, Cloud Bread and Lemon Chicken w/ Asparagus. I'll probably only get to 2 of them this weekend, but that's enough for this challenge to be a success. I'm hoping the cloud bread will help me with my carb-binging problem :) 

Unpacking boxes... is not going well. At all. I'm really going to work at getting it done this weekend. If I can just get the non-storage boxes done and peek into the long-term storage boxes to check them out, I'll be thrilled. 

Gathering support is going well on the digital side. I don't know why I'm so darn shy, but I've finally pushed that aside and started posting actively on the Rebel Women group. My family, however, is so not on board. Today my mother asked me "if I make such-and-such, are you going to weigh it too?" And I'm still super self-conscious about working out when they're home. They always have to make some comment. Today, I started doing bench presses for real, which means I need a bench (because you can't get full range of motion lying on the floor), so I asked if I could use my dad's total gym as a bench. All I wanted was to make it horizontal, since right now it's at like a 30 degree angle. He told me I was not to touch it because it "wasn't meant to handle weight like that." I'm benching 20 pounds. I mean, really? He weighs at least 100 pounds more than me and it handles him just fine. Whatever.

So for now I'm benching on an old guitar case with a pillow on top of it. As soon as I have a job I'm going to start looking at gyms that allow/cater to powerlifting. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to join until I could at least handle an empty bar (I'm using dumbbells to build up to 45 pounds). We'll see. I'll just play it by ear for now. The guitar case isn't actually that bad, but I'm going to need 15 and 20 pound barbells (right now I have 2s, 5s, 10s and my dad has 25s). 

Anyway, I need to get to the store and cook these darn meals. And unpack boxes like a kid at Christmas. 

k-bigpic.gif

Level 2 Warrior Assassin

Quick update. I've posted my next challenge in the warrior guild. I'm not actually starting it until I finish this one though. I've completed all targets except unpacking those darn boxes. X_x Gonna vote today and then unpack like a mad woman for the rest of the day. 

Did Stronglifts workout B with dumbbells yesterday. It was great :) Now I just need to find a gym that allows deadlifts. I called Planet Fitness and they'll let me deadlift... up to 60 pounds. Lol. So I'll keep looking. 

Level 2 Warrior Assassin