I just walked farther than ever!

Yes, it was "only" 3.4 kilometers, but that is more than I've ever done in a loooooong time, and the most important thing: I'm not in considerable pain! Woot!

Last July I started taking walks during a challenge. I started very small, on some days it was just the "house round" of not even one kilometer. At first I just went out, even if I didn't really want to, to build a habit. I told myself I could do the small round if I didn't feel like walking, or I could do the medium one if I wanted to. Just get out at all. Soon I established a route of about 1.8 km, which I sometimes extended a bit and sometimes shortened.

Rarely did I walk farther because after about 2 km my legs started to feel heavy. After about 2.5 km they ached considerably and really wanted a rest, and after 3 km I was in serious pain (did that only once). This was no ordinary muscle soreness but comes from a condition called lipedema, my legs are a little different than most others.

I was sad. Was I doomed to a life of short walks? When I was a teen, I often spend hours walking with a friend and our dogs through the woods. Were those days over when I developed that darn illness?

Turns out, they aren't! Yes, I do feel my legs - hey, they just got a serious workout, I weigh close to 100 kilograms! :D And I did not walk that much during winter, mostly only my lunch break walks. Today I wanted to know: could I do it? Yes, I can. There was a short moment around the 2 km-mark where my legs started to ache a tiny little bit - like they always did in the past, this was the first sign to head for the nearest rest stop or arrive back at home soon. I grew a little worried, as I had ventured quite a bit out of my usual way, but then I told myself: if it gets too bad, we'll sit on a bench, rest the legs a little and then walk home.

Worked! No rest needed! :)

Why am I shouting this out, even if it was just 3.4 kms? It's a first-timer and just changed my mindset completely. From "meh, I'll never be able to do that"-downright depressed to "sure, it wasn't a 10k race, but hey, look, I can overcome at least a few of my boundaries, let's see what I can do next!"-happy, and I just wanted to celebrate that feeling with my favourite rebels :) Cake for everyone (virtual cake has no calories, so grab a slice while it lasts! ;) )

• Like 4

That's AWESOME! I guess it comes down to acclimating your body just a little at a time, 'eh? Take that, lipedema! :D

Wow, I just googled lipedema. That's pretty tough. And I'm guessing that you are one tough lady to square up to a condition like that and decide to tackle it head on.

The physical accomplishment is fab, but it's probably the change in your mindset that will have the biggest impact. I'm so pleased for you!

Don't ever feel self conscious of posting your success on here, just because other people are posting about running 10k or other crazy things. Your success is just as important, and just as valuable, and people on here understand that.

I think you've done fantastic! And I like cake! ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks, you guys! :wub:  I love this awesome community. I can woot and get support for something most other people would just shrug about, but you understand how important it is to overcome certain barriers :) I'm certainly planning on extending my walking route (as soon as the weather clears up, for some reason, winter has decided on a comeback).

I know exactly what you mean.

In 2011 I was in a near fatal motorcycle accident. My legs and pelvis were smashed and I was in hospital, flat on my back, unable to move, with metal pins and rods holding me together for around 7 weeks.

When I was making my recovery every little thing was a huge accomplishment to me. The first time I went for a shower without assistance, the first time I walked without crutches, the first time I rolled over in bed (that one's going to sound weird, but I still remember it.)

Then when I was a bit better I started going to see a personal trainer as rehabilitation. I remember posting on here about my first deadlift (17kg), and every PR since then. Even at my peak I was only lifting 68kg, which is nothing compared with some people on here, but they still made me feel like I had done something special. Or rather, I had done something special, and they let me know that they understood how special that was.

This community is something very rare and very special. I hope you get as much out of it as I did. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

That is so exciting! I've been dealing with a chronic illness as well, so I know exactly where you're coming from with the psychological blocks. But what a breakthrough! I bet that felt fantastic. :) So happy to hear of your victory, keep going! 

• Like 1

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

I've started recording my journey! Check out my blog here: Pulmonary Princess

I... I just need to post this everywhere.

I just came home from a long walk. Almost exactly 5 kilometers. This is a new personal record for me. Yes, I'm a little tired, and yes, I took it slow, but... holy canneloni, FIVE KILOMETERS! Without sore legs! I'm not really in pain!

Last year, I could do about three and a half, at most. The year before, I started out with less than two. And today, I did not only wear my compression tights, but also my new compression sleeves, which is something I never did before.

I'm so, so, so happy! I can't believe it. This is crazy! Crazy good!

Now I need a shower. But... yeah, it's still hard to believe. 5 km!