Respawn of the Jedi [Chris-Tien Jinn]

I've been bouncing between different themes in creating challenges and in organizing my epic quests and battle log threads so much that I really should create a theme based on Heinlein's World As Myth collection and label myself a multi-verse Time Corps Agent.  Problem is, since they never got made into movies, there are few, if any, cool images and gifs.  

So, I've returned to organizing my fitness and life goals around the Star Wars universe.  It's been my framework and inspiration since college, and during a wonderful period from 1998 to 2005, that inspiration was extremely effective.  When I let the disciplines of meditation, running, weight lifting, and karate training slip, I gained weight and lost a lot of who I wanted to be.  

While I've been HERE at Nerd Fitness for years, I have not been putting in the dedication and effort required to make necessary changes --- and stick with them.  So, I have titled this a RESPAWN in recognition to making a major break with my recent past.  

I may occasionally write fiction about my character in order to help me re-imagine myself as my ideal self.  You can't achieve what you can't conceive.  

That role-play character will be placed in the universe of the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic.  I haven't played that game in years, but I downloaded the update and am in the process of getting used to the changes.  After a couple of hours, I recall WHY I stopped playing.  It's only available for the PC (which we have, but it's my husband's machine).  And the dual currency .... with so many features tied to purchasing cartel coins is annoying.  Plus, I don't know anyone who plays it anymore.  SO .... I'm not sure how many hours of my limited gaming time will be shifted over to SW:TOR from WoW.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

OOC Skills, Achievements, and Goals

My list of ideas is still being revised, and I'll need to update and re-organize my NF Epic Character Quests as well.  

Basically, my goal since the founding of the Blue Group at the Temple of the Jedi has been to figure out what real life skills and abilities would approximate the fictional abilities and skills of Jedi Knights.  Or any of the heroic paladins from myths, epic tales, fantasy/sci-fi books, and role-playing games.  

And then .... here's the kicker .... figure out how to train up to be like my favorite characters from those stories, D&D and RPGs.   

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Short and Sweet - ideas for mini-challenges

• Wear contacts

• Try a CrossFit class

• Try a Parkour class

• Drink 64 oz of water per day for a week

• Pilates classes

• Try Headspace

• Try Lumosity

• Try hot yoga

• Try an adult gymnastics class

• Increase average step count by 1K

• Adulting:

• dental appointment

• eye appointment

• take care of car

• annual physical

• Install Boot Camp and SWTOR on my Mac
  • Switch files from old to new Mac
  • Do affirmations for a week
  • Like 2

As Chris walked up the Star Dancer's ramp, she was reminded yet again why she frequently considered disabling CN-N2's vocabulator.  "Thank the Maker!!!" his tinny voice intoned.  "Master Jinn, you have returned!!  I always said you would return ...."

"Yes, yes, thank you, Cin-Two,  it is good to see you as well.  Set a course for Tython, please."  

The golden droid shifted mental gears, figuratively of course.  "I will inform Kira at at once, Master Jinn.  Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?  Perhaps I should see to any injuries you may have picked up on Alderaan?"

Oritand guffawed before quickly stifling his laugh and turning to look carefully at the bulkhead.

"I think I am good for the moment, thanks.  I'll just ..... " Chris looked over her clothes ruefully.  Grey trousers and a loose blue shirt were her usual traveling clothes these days.  Her lightsaber was attached to her brown belt with a hasty clip, a reassuring weight that hung below the edge of her black jacket.  "..... I'll go see what we have for clothing in the cargo bay."

Domestic Rangering!!!!

I have GOT to clear some of our stuff OUT!!!!!  My bank in SWTOR is full of stuff that I was collecting two years ago - most of which probably is now useless with the changes in the game.  And my RL house also still has all a wide variety of things from book and clothing to extra pots and pans - that we don't need or use.  

Time to clean out and start over!!!

The overall challenge for the rest of the year is to get down to "normal" range for my height, age, and gender.  146 lbs.  Below 150 for the first time in 9 years.  

9f6c4afad67fa91e77f605c1facd7bb8.jpg

There.  I said it.  I commit to it.  I will do it!!!

Why???

I will feel better and be able to do more things that I want to do.  I will look better and have greater self esteem.  I will view myself with greater self-respect. During the golden years of the Temple of the Jedi, I weighed 127 lbs (21% body fat).  Right now, I don't feel like myself, and I certainly don't look like myself.  Part of my RPG story is the path to recovering my best self.  

How??

A Jedi May Need to Ration Food

As much as I hate to do it, I am going to count calories.  For MARCH, I will simply count them.  No budget .... just setting the bench mark in preparation for setting a budget on calories and macros in April.  

A Jedi is in tune with the Force

1)  I will impose discipline and avoid alcohol.  I've already gotten coffee intake down to two cups per day, but alcohol is empty calories ..... and probably accounts for most of the weight I've gained gradually over the past decade.

2) I  will meditate.  I've already started a meditation PLP and am up to 12 minutes, adding a minute each day until I get to 30.  It does help calm me and prevent emotional eating

A Jedi trains every day

1) I am going to run a 5K at the end of the month; so I will do training runs 3 times each week for a total of 12

2)  I will do strength training OR go to karate class 3 times each week for a total of 12

Progress bar summary

Count calories (0/28)

0%
0%

No alcohol (5/40)

12.5%
12.5%

Meditation PLP (12/30)

40%
40%

Training Runs (0/12)

0%
0%

Strength training or karate class (0/12)

0%
0%
  • Like 2

March Bonus Goal

To do something worthy of a cool, custom title.  

What's that, Yoda???

57989757.jpg

Eh.  Sorry, but you're wrong.  I've been here a long time, and I feel like I should have done SOMETHING noteworthy.  It's cold in the shadows.  

• Like 5

[Work in progress, but feedback is welcome!!!]

Ok, it's the last day of the March challenge.   Wow, did that go by quickly!!!!  I'll reflect and score it in the challenge thread, but I thought I'd get started drafting the next one so that I can take advantage of zero week and start my new job with my health and fitness goals firmly in hand.

The base goal for the year remains to lose weight!!!  Goal weight is still 146 pounds by the end of 2016.  During March, I pretty much maintained on my plateau.  

plateau.jpg

I don't like it up there, and I want to come down and play with all the rest of the nerds.  

Process goals:

1) Reduce Net Calorie Intake by 10%

The good news is that I tracked my calorie intake pretty well in March.  It hurt sometimes to record a monster caramel roll at 800 calories (!) or a big bowl of Kemps premium chocolate and peanut butter ice cream.  But I've established my actual maintenance calorie intake rather than a calculated estimate:  1538 net calories average per day.  So .... new target calorie goal (net) for the April challenge is ...... 1384 calories.  

That's going to take some work and discipline!!!  So ..... 

2) Increase Movement by 10%

My FitBit is my friend.  I probably need to develop more friendships and get out a lot more, but this device is a constant data gathering wonder that tells me that I'm not very consistent in my daily activity.  In March, my average step count has fallen to 9K.  In April, I'm increasing my goal to a daily 10K.  I should be able to fit in walking around campus and stair climbing, but I will also work at programmed fitness activities (running and weight lifting), which the FitBit tracks pretty well.

3) Weekend Food Preparation 

Saturday or Sunday needs to be cook-ahead day so that I have healthy lunches in easy reach at the office.  This builds on the February Bento Baby challenge and incorporates Staci's article on meal prep.  This makes it easier to avoid fries and chips and goopy mayonnaise-laden sandwiches .... plus, it also usually lets me get out for that noon walk .......

4) Training Never Stops (Flexible Discipline)

No, flexible discipline isn't some new sadistic type of yoga.  It means that I will commit to working out every day, but that I will have a variety of workouts from which to choose.  I'll set them up and then select from options based on how I feel, the weather, and Mr. Wizard's desire (or lack thereof) to participate.  AND ..... I will be soliciting votes from the audience as I continue to write my RP story.  A little randomness keeps it interesting.  

Finally .....

5) Advance Planning for Missions!!!

Sunday is a day to clean up and get ready for the coming week. I may not be able to do all 21 of the Easy Things to Do On Sunday That Will Make Monday Suck Less, but I will do as many as I can.  

• Like 5

Weekend Prep for Weekday Success

1. Clean out fridge
  2. Clean out bags
  3. Plan menus
  4. Grocery shopping
  5. Prep snacks & lunches
  6. Prep Monday breakfast
  7. Make something in the crockpot
  8. Make Monday’s to-do list
  9. Make list of the big things to do during the following week
  10. Take time for yourself
  11. Spend time with friends & family
  12. Organize closet
  13. Plan clothes for the week
  14. Organize gym outfits for the week
  15. Make playlists for the week
  16. Clean out trash, recycling, and compost
  17. Get outside
  18. Pickup and clean house
  19. Find motivational images and quotes
  • Like 3

LOL, read through your list and at 8. I read "Make Money today" ... read on... then "wait, what?" Did she mean go to work today?

That is also my basic list for this week, but I'm stuck on Plan Menus. How to stretch and change to cover breakfast, lunch and supper, especially with "I don't want this, and I want more of that".

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

LOL, read through your list and at 8. I read "Make Money today" ... read on... then "wait, what?" Did she mean go to work today?

That is also my basic list for this week, but I'm stuck on Plan Menus. How to stretch and change to cover breakfast, lunch and supper, especially with "I don't want this, and I want more of that".

I use plantoeat.com for menu planning .... I love the grocery list automatic creation and the ability to share it with Mr. Wizard.  Not sure that it would work in South Africa.  

But I'm toying with making up index cards and mixing and matching a few basic meals for breakfasts and lunches.  I need to see if I can talk my boss into a fridge for the office .....  I really do not want to eat at the dining center every day!!! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I use plantoeat.com for menu planning .... I love the grocery list automatic creation and the ability to share it with Mr. Wizard.  Not sure that it would work in South Africa.  

But I'm toying with making up index cards and mixing and matching a few basic meals for breakfasts and lunches.  I need to see if I can talk my boss into a fridge for the office .....  I really do not want to eat at the dining center every day!!! 

Recipes aren't my problem, it is trying to get everyone fed (within all preferences) and staying within budget, but then I remembered last year I used a basic plan: breakfast = protein + veg; lunch is veg + fat; supper = protein + veg, and worked things out according to that plan, and it was super simple. I had to hand in our monthly meat order to the butcher just now to be ready on Saturday. In some ways food is actually very easy, because hubby and the boys just plain prefer grilled chicken, so its always grilled chicken, just with the spices changing, and then different veggies. Beef mince is always lasagne, but I change the veggies that I grate finally into the meat every week. This is when I use the veg that the boys don't like.

Hubby also use a small cooler bag at the office where there is no fridge. The other office has a small but "larney" kitchen, so fridge, microwave, coffee machine, etc. all available.

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 3/29/2016 at 4:23 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Recipes aren't my problem, it is trying to get everyone fed (within all preferences) and staying within budget,

Yea .... even with just a single kid, meal planning could be pretty difficult.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2016 at 1:11 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Weekend Prep for Weekday Success

1. Clean out fridge
  2. Clean out bags
  3. Plan menus
  4. Grocery shopping
  5. Prep snacks & lunches
  6. Prep Monday breakfast
  7. Make something in the crockpot
  8. Make Monday’s to-do list
  9. Make list of the big things to do during the following week
  10. Take time for yourself
  11. Spend time with friends & family
  12. Organize closet
  13. Plan clothes for the week
  14. Organize gym outfits for the week
  15. Make playlists for the week
  16. Clean out trash, recycling, and compost
  17. Get outside
  18. Pickup and clean house
  19. Find motivational images and quotes

Only just seen this, awesome stuff. Totally stealing the list for my weekend!

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

cap135.jpg

Well, I hope it serves you well!!!

Hope you join up for my Co-op challenge next month, Chris.  Just through up some details tonight and I remember you being interested.  Consider this that motivation boot-up-the-arse you requested.  ;)

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Hope you join up for my Co-op challenge next month, Chris.  Just through up some details tonight and I remember you being interested.  Consider this that motivation boot-up-the-arse you requested.  ;)

Planning on it.  Any prep work that I need to do in advance??  

• Like 1

Planning on it.  Any prep work that I need to do in advance??  

Not really.  Just fill out a character sheet for me to write by and I'll tag you when your number comes up!  :)

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

April's challenge is ending, but I'm already thinking of the next one.  

Unfortunately, I'm still up on that damn plateau.  I'll never defeat the Emperor at this rate!!!!  So, I need to exert discipline - train harder and sacrifice things that are holding me back.  I really need a big, solid goal to work toward that puts me back into the "training for" mindset:  Warrior Dash 2017!!!!  

I'm taking Margaret Schlachter (from Dirt in Your Skirt) as my Jedi Master.  Her book is an easy introduction that is getting me started.  There's probably better, more in-depth books out there, but I don't want to become an underpants gnome.  I've got enough to get started and a year to work on upper body strength and agility.  And mental toughness.  

May's Challenge Goals

1)  28 days of OCR fitness training.  That schedule includes rest days, and I've already planned out how to gradually increase the challenge.  

2) Obstacle-specific training.  Every non-rest day.  I'd randomize them, but I'll have to allow for passing on exercises that require equipment that isn't readily available on that day ... like the bouldering wall at the campus gym.

3) Increase step count to 11K per day

4) Keep net calories at 1375 per day BUT distribute over 5 or 6 smaller meals each day.  

5) Increase protein.  It's at 75 grams average right now, which is low for trying to build muscle.  Aiming for 82 grams.  I think protein powder is going to be my new friend.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bouncer333 said:

Ooh OCR yay! Kind of jealous how you where able to find a book, will need to put it on my reading list, that is if this year's Warrior Dash makes me want to try it again.

I hope you love the Warrior's Dash this year.  Are you doing it with anyone???  From the sounds of it, even if you start alone, you'll have lots of help with the obstacles.