Respawn of the Jedi [Chris-Tien Jinn]

21 hours ago, Bouncer333 said:

Yup alone, but yeah that reason in itself is how I ended up signing up in March. Since its happening in Le Sueur this year, I figured it was my best chance to see if I can train myself beyond my limits. (Next to it being the first challenge in a long time I could imagine myself running into headfirst).

Great!!  It does seem to be the sort of thing that inspires people to go beyond their comfort zone.  I was just wondering if any of the Mpls/St. Paul nerds were going too.  That's pretty close.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 5/8/2016 at 6:35 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Great!!  It does seem to be the sort of thing that inspires people to go beyond their comfort zone.  I was just wondering if any of the Mpls/St. Paul nerds were going too.  That's pretty close.  

Oh yes @therealkat I really need to start following her.... A bit intimidated by her... but would be awesome to meet her. Though the good part of why I'm doing it is I can literally walk there, and all the people are going to take over my town anyway just by the amount of signups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bouncer333 said:

Oh yes @therealkat I really need to start following her.... A bit intimidated by her... but would be awesome to meet her. Though the good part of why I'm doing it is I can literally walk there, and all the people are going to take over my town anyway just by the amount of signups.

I haven't met @therealkat or @Sloth the Slow and Steady or @Jittersthe.Clown or any of them.  @EricMN would seriously intimidate me.  But they might also inspire me too ....

I hope you have great weather and a lot of fun.  I enjoyed summers in LeSuer, although they are a bit hot ....

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

14 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I haven't met @therealkat or @Sloth the Slow and Steady or @Jittersthe.Clown or any of them.  @EricMN would seriously intimidate me.  But they might also inspire me too ....

I hope you have great weather and a lot of fun.  I enjoyed summers in LeSuer, although they are a bit hot ....

Haha, very warm. Last summer I didn't have an a/c, not going to make the same mistake again.

Thanks for the list, yeah most of them inspire me and give me an idea of what I need to be looking for when I've been going through the cities more because of my mother's friend.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at how much there is to do in the Cities.  Now that I am rocking my public transportation kung fu, I may start seeing what I can reach on long lunch hours, although our campus has a pretty darn good gym too.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I'm amazed at how much there is to do in the Cities.  Now that I am rocking my public transportation kung fu, I may start seeing what I can reach on long lunch hours, although our campus has a pretty darn good gym too.  

Good to know though for the future... Never know when Cabin Fever will strike.. or in the far future the "winter blues". But yeah you probably already knew that.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 9:23 PM, Bouncer333 said:

Good to know though for the future... Never know when Cabin Fever will strike.. or in the far future the "winter blues". But yeah you probably already knew that.

You know, if I'm doing winter sports (including running outside), I don't get cabin fever or the winter blahs. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 6:17 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

You know, if I'm doing winter sports (including running outside), I don't get cabin fever or the winter blahs. 

Hehe, I'll be having to ask you for ideas then for next year.

Though my hope is to try at least a new winter sport by 2017. (pretty much narrowed down to cross country or snow shoeing, I did snow shoeing but that was a decade ago).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bouncer333 said:

Hehe, I'll be having to ask you for ideas then for next year.

Though my hope is to try at least a new winter sport by 2017. (pretty much narrowed down to cross country or snow shoeing, I did snow shoeing but that was a decade ago).

I have even played "old lady" hockey .... badly.  But it was fun.  

• Like 1

I'm going to get meta here for a bit while I re-read old challenges to review what has worked ..... and what has not ..... so that I can tackle 2018 older and wiser. 

808a56830b6d64dea42399a23712ae71_large.j

And with concrete, workable goals.

A MAJOR question hanging over my head is .... do I want to lose weight - or do I want to change body composition???  Honestly, if I could run an OCR and weigh 163 (current weight).  I'd be happy.  Weigh what I do now and be able to do an unassisted pull up .....vs. weigh 127 (or even 146) but be a typical woman of a certain age who can't lift more than 45 pounds (my current deadweight lift)?? 

Right now, I'm leaning toward the pull up!!

• Like 2

Or ... this is the most recent one.  And the title is appropriate.  Again.  

Goals for the remainder of the year 2021:

• Lose weight down to 150 lbs.  
  • Exercise daily (mix of cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.)
  • Do a pull-up
  • Reduce BF % by 1% (I have to measure and see where I am)
  • Minimize carbon footprint
  • Community service  activities/goals TBD

I've been slowly losing weight, although we will have to see what vacation did to my progress.  I know that we don't do "diets" but the tracking system for WW+ has been working for me, and it emphasizes lean meat, fruits, and vegetables.  So, that's the program for now.  

• Like 2

I also used my 20 seconds of courage and contacted the local TKD school.  It's about the only martial arts option in this very small town.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Welcome back.  

I thought you had moved back to the cities.  

Thanks!!  We were close (Northfield, MN) and then moved to Iowa to be near our daughter (she invited us to move here ....).  Who then changed jobs and moved to Northfield!!  🤦‍♀️

Since hubby and I now have JOBS in Iowa, we're staying for at least a couple more years.  Good news is that the sparsely populated city is pretty safe during the pandemic.  

• Like 1

Ok, to put numbers on a couple of things.  

Weight: 161 (and change .... I was sleepy and didn't write it down right away)

Neck: 14.5 inches

Waist:  34.5 inches

Hip: 40 inches

BF%: 34.4%  

Jackie+Chan+facepalm+what+why+would+you+

The good news is that there is lots of room for improvement!!  Boy ... belly fat .....

7 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Ok just curious, is this "belly fat" or "body fat" percentage. And how did you arrive to this number?

It's meant to be body fat % and it is calculated by a formula at:  https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

• Thanks 1

July 23, 2021

Establishing a baseline here ....

Lose weight down to 150 lbs.  

I'm at 161.  In 5 months, it is reasonable to get down to 150.  The challenge is that I often get down to about 157 and stall out, get fed up, and give up.  Must keep going!!!

Nutrition-wise, it was not a stellar day, but I did avoid snacking (except for a banana).  Hubby really wanted to go to the wine bar for beer and pizza.  I had told myself I would avoid the alcohol, but I didn't.  Next week, maybe I'll be stronger.  

Exercise daily (mix of cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.)

Got a two-mile walk while playing Ingress.  😇

Do a pull-up

I read the article that @Steve wrote on getting your first pull-up and revamped by workouts.  I'm at level one for MAYBE a week or two.  I can do bent-over rows with 15 to 20 pound dumbbells.  The 20 felt heavy, but I think I could do 3 sets at that weight.  Will try Sunday.

I left my core workouts the same as before.  I had to juggle equipment a bit.  It's so hot that the gym was actually busy, and someone else was using the BOSU ball .... so I used the regular ball for the first set. 

Reduce BF % to 33.4%

See above.  I had also contacted the local TKD studio, but they haven't responded to my email yet.  I may need to try other routes.  If they are not accepting new students, then I'll go back to CrossFit.

Minimize carbon footprint

I need to take an assessment to see what we can change.  But it was inspired to work on composting and moved compost out of one bin to the garden.  

Community service  activities/goals TBD

Donated money to a GoFundMe for a friend of a friend who is out of work.  

IMG_1551.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

The challenge is that I often get down to about 157 and stall out, get fed up, and give up.

This happened AGAIN.    October 25th, I was at 156.7.    After the return from Fall Break, I got sick.  One of the classes I was co-teaching fell apart --- and so did I.  Gradually, my weight crept back up to 162 by Christmas, two months later.  

Still .... I have not given up.  I am trying to really internalize that I have to take care of myself --- no matter what is happening at work.  There are so many unrealistic expectations from students and colleagues that I will never be able to meet.  So, the sacrifice of time to workout and cook decent food is not worth it.  

image.png.e4fa595009cf55d7f296d9e53ffae048.png

It's going to be tough to resist the negative influences at work, but that's the major MENTAL goal of the year:  don't listen to Grima Wormtongue in all his many forms.  

On the Fitness Front:   2022 CrossFit Goals

• back squat 110 lbs
  • 5 pushups
  • pull-up
  • dead lift 150 lbs
  • 500 m row < 2:20

While I am still aiming to weigh 150 pounds by the end of the year, I am prioritizing building up strength first and eating to support that goal.  While I cannot drop weight quickly by simply cutting out liquid calories or desserts, consistent reductions should help me find a current happy weight.  

Now, to put those CrossFit goals on a sheet of paper to submit at the box tomorrow.  

• Like 3