The Courtyard (Monks General Chat Thread)

RisenPhoenix

I literally am making this so I can claim to be the first person making a post in the new challenge threads.

Go Go Gadget Monk talk!

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I saw the dates and thought I missed this challenge. That's how burnt out I am. College is rough when you're 50.

Hell, it was rough at 30, I can't imagine at 50. You're surely in much better shape than I was, though. All 380 lbs. trying to truck across campus with 30 lbs. of books etc. and not get winded.

Still need to go back, though.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

Hey guys!

We've created a quick survey that we'd love it if you filled out regarding the new challenge format, but also we wanted to give you a better forum to let us know what we can be doing to help you better.

Please fill it out here:

https://docs.google....zPRF1g/viewform

How we form the next few challenges (after the March challenge), the zero weeks, etc - will be based off the feedback we get here :)

THANK YOU!

PS yes I'm posting this in multiple places, just to make sure y'all see it - so sorry for the insane cross post!

I'm leaving this here.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/78748-help-us-improve-please-fill-out-this-quick-survey/#entry1828582

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Hello Everyone!  What's new in the land of Monks?  Inquiring minds want to know....

inquiring_minds_logo.png

And a question, what ever happened to the mini-challenges that we used do?  

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Hello Everyone!  What's new in the land of Monks?  Inquiring minds want to know....

inquiring_minds_logo.png

And a question, what ever happened to the mini-challenges that we used do?  

Shotokan!  How's life been?

The Guild Leaders were asked by Staci to hold off on issuing mini-challenges as we try to futz around with the Challenge formats.  It was on the idea that we're changing so many things, and trying to get people to get the new guidelines and challenge set ups AND try to get participation in the minichallenges would cause a lot of confusion and angst.  Better to start slow.  They probably will be making a comeback, we just don't know when.

• Like 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Also, I just moved the Kitchen, Sleep Quarters, Meditation Chamber, and the Recruit/Rebel Monitoring threads to the current challenge.  Sorry, meant to do that the other day and forgot!

• Like 2

Whine with a touch of appreciation:
This moving all over the state every so many weeks is getting old. Mostly because it's getting lonely. I don't know anyone outside of work where I move. The people at work all know I'm temporary and while they're friendly, I spend every night home alone. I have been exploring the parks where I go, and I enjoy that, but it's been almost 6 months now and I'm starting to feel like I need a friend! This is only different from before because now I have no Internet, no television, and barely text capable cell service. Most of my friends that I could text are getting annoyed with sporadically timed conversations resulting from sketchy service. (I send a text at 7, they get it at 9, reply and don't get an answer till the next day)
I am grateful for the board though. It's kind of like having you guys frozen in time and whenever I can, I can pop in, hang out and leave without anyone being annoyed!

<edit> I realize after the fact that this sounds like a desperate plea for outside communication/friends. That's not my intent. I mostly needed to vent, and I can't on FB or other places because my boss & the new parks director are on most of my social media. oops lol </edit>

• Like 6

Saw this on reddit and I'd thought I'd share it:

Don't Just Do It: A 5 Step Technique to Consistently Get in the Gym

I think this will be helpful for anyone having difficulty building their epic quest and the related side-quests.

• Like 2

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

I'm not here for this challenge and I can hardly train rn because of back issues, but I thought you guys would appreciate this:

I was watching a TKD comp today to cheer for my friends and the members of my society in general. I was looking at another ring so I don't know precisely how it happened, but this guy, a green belt if I recall correctly, was breaking by kick a couple of boards in one of the super sturdy, but also super heavy metal stands they had. Like, needs 2+ people to move it kind of heavy. Suddenly there's this GODAWFUL NOISE, and I see the guy backing away frantically as the entire stand is falling over towards him. Regardless, he pulls the pose the etiquette requires to finish and plays totally cool. Judges are blanking for several seconds before they remember to display the flags.

Guy won gold. Totally deserved it.

(Also saw a black belt somehow lose her balance after breaking her boards, almost fall into and end up on her butt next to the stand. She was laughing her butt off standing up even though she obviously got no points for technique.)

• Like 3

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Oh my.

I run away for a weekend to hermit and recover my brain, and the forum gets an overhaul.  Welp, guess 3.5 years of forum knowledge just went out the window.  Time to play with the new stuff, huh?

• Like 2

:apple: I like how easily you can add smilies now.

[progress]80[/progress]

Are the progressbars going to be implemented again? Some things are really well hidden. But I finally got my signature updated.

The new design looks rather modern.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I lost my avatar. Probably the no-face I got is better.

Also, is it just me that get more often than no a 504 error? Sorry for posting here, the help pages are unreachable. I know my connection is ok. Let's see if my brainless phone is better suited to this forum than my pc.

On the other hand, I get plenty of email notification, much more than before. Of course nothing can be set until I can connect.

No further comment as long as connections is so unstable.

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

What Kishi said.  The GLs are in the dark as much as the rest of you at the moment.  We're all on "Let spezzy know what's weird" duty until things get ironed out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Has anyone figured out how to get the site to stop requesting permission to send notifications?  The popup renews every new page and I don't want the notifications sometimes.

Have you selected 'block'?

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum