Archon: Die Another Day

Archon

Last challenge summary

51HQENXJTYL._SY445_.jpg

Intro:

This is my 7th challenge going into March of 2016. I joined the rebellion in May of 2016 with my first challenge that June and have learned a lot since then. Last challenge I definitely had to reboot using the KISS mentality after Rangerbrain got the better of me during my 5th challenge in January and I hit complete burnout. Last challenge went fairly well, however, during the course of it I made a mistake and pushed myself too hard on deadlifts and injured my lower back. Much like how James Bond begins this movie having to recover from months of torture & imprisonment, I will have to nurse myself back to health.

So going into this next installment, my mindset is one of not-dying-today, or "Die Another Day". I am a Bond geek (I own them all on Dvd, and there are several of them where my watch-count is in the double-digits). But in order to make myself into a classy British gentleman spy, I first need to recover from my injury so I can get back to training healthily. To recover I need to focus on staying mobile and stretchy (and temporarily avoiding the heavy things).

CHALLENGE 7: DIE ANOTHER DAY
I did really well last challenge with my eating even though I had no specific goal. Additionally, I did really well at sleeping healthily. So not going to track sleeping this time around. As far as eating goes, I am just going to make sure I keep tracking in MFP.

Goal 1) MFP: Track daily. Scored on a percent basis.
Reward: 2 WIS

Goal 2) Undo the Damage: Do 10+ minutes of yoga a day. Particularly targeting the lower back early in the challenge. Scoring this the same way as last challenge.
Reward: 4 DEX

unpopular-die-another-day-pierce.jpg

Goal 3) Flexibility in the Hips like Halle: Spend at least 1 minute a day practicing my Caveman/3rd-world Squats. I started doing this 4 days ago and have been doing well. I can get all the down, but I need something to hold onto. I am curious how long it will take me to be able to do a legit squat & hold, but I believe this will help me improve my overall flexibility and squat form. 

Reward: 4 DEX

giphy.gif

Goal 4) Rebuild the Confidence: Do 25 Burpees a day, every day this challenge. My overall goal is weight loss. I have been doing less of the more "cardio" work I was doing, so I wanted to add this in as a supplement (when I had previously been doing Burpees, it was a rough experience that had to be done in several sets). When I did my 1000 Burpees back in September, I got up to the point where I could do 15 in a row at my best. Also, this will help me stay active when not lifting. My plan is to get back to weight lifting in a week or so, but I am not going to push/rush myself back into that quickly. So until I start lifting again, I will also do 25 body weight squats with my daily Burpees.

Reward: 3 STA, 2 STR

Die-Another-Day-madonna-14211883-348-238

• Like 9

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

Following!:)

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

"die another day" 

This does mean you need a cheesy Madonna related goal, of course.

SUBBED!

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

(When I read the update in my email for your post, my brain scanned that as a "Cheesy Macaron..." and I was like, "Delicious, but why?").

Well, that too, of course. :D

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Subbed

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

WOOO THEMES YASS

Following <4

Challenge has been theme-afied! Yay

Really? First time with a theme?  As long as part of your goals includes getting cufflinks that can shoot traq darts.

Want those cufflinks so bad. Actually, I am kind of a horrible troll IRL, so me having access to any kind of Tranq's would be horrible (and fun).

Following! :)

Yay! Thanks Ash. Great to have you along. I hope everyone at your house has recovered from the plague.

Following.

Welcome along Tank! Great to have you!

SUBBED!

I did have to throw in some Madonna. 

So... Do most of the things?

Do most of the things until I can do all of the things again. :)

Following along, Archon! 

It is always a pleasure to have my Tartan Temptress drop in. Keeps me on my toes.

Yes for Bond themes!!! Following along :D

Yay snarky! Thanks!

• Like 5

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

@Blond-E - OMG, thanks for clarifying who you were. I had not caught the SN change and was a little confused. Glad to have you along L!

@Scotty - WOOO!!! Welcome along Burpee Brother! I'm always happy to have you jump on.

@Terah - Yay, love the Doodlie support! Great to have you along for this challenge.

@Big-Willy - Let's crush this challenge! I am taking a slight break from doing the heavy work with you, so I don't snap my back in half, but I am still going to be doing some body weight work until I am feeling ready to get back into it. Let's kill this challenge!

@Kat - :) Flattered to be your lurkee

So I had been taking 2 ibuprofen before bed and 2 in the morning for the past 5 days or so now and that has been helping the back not be so bad & sore. Last night I figured I would try backing off on that a little and go to just taking them in the morning. I got ~10 hours of bed rest last night (recovery from Saturday), but I still woke up feeling pretty tight & sore this morning. (I did do my yoga last night, and will be starting the BW squats & Burpees tonight).

I had 2 friends over last week Friday night for a micro-game night. We played 3 different board games and had a great time. One of them came back Saturday for the full-official board-game party we hosted. We had 14 people playing games spread out at three different places in the house. The party was a huge success, but I drank way too much, and stayed up way too late as the host (until almost 5am Sunday morning)... So Sunday I woke up dehydrated with a little bit of a hangover from having too much fun Saturday, and spent the day adulting (the house was such a mess). It was a super short day though (I got up a little after noon and was in bed a little after 9pm).

Anyway, I have been practicing my caveman (3rd world) squats for almost a week now. I am not seeing any progression, but it has made me acutely aware of how inflexible I have become over the past 25+ years and I am working to improve that.

Firing myself up for a strong start to this challenge. Let's do this!

• Like 6

So I had been taking 2 ibuprofen before bed and 2 in the morning for the past 5 days or so now and that has been helping the back not be so bad & sore. Last night I figured I would try backing off on that a little and go to just taking them in the morning. I got ~10 hours of bed rest last night (recovery from Saturday), but I still woke up feeling pretty tight & sore this morning. (I did do my yoga last night, and will be starting the BW squats & Burpees tonight).

I've on an off again dealt with low back issues so I feel your pain/tighness/soreness. Here's a couple things I KNOW have worked for me:

• Epsom salt baths
  • topical magnesium spray
  • foam roller
  • yoga
  • planks and side planks (the strengthen your core)
  • tons of water

I also like to get up next to a wall, put my butt on the wall and my legs straight up. I'll hold this for a while, then slowly go into a splits on the wall, hold that for a while, then bring your knees in like your going to air squat on the wall. Use your arms to "pry" your hips open. Rinse and Repeat 2-4 times or as needed. I've noticed this releases a LOT of pressure off my back when I do this. Most back issues aren't even back related-but hamstring/glute related.

I hope you get better! Be mindful of the burpees with your back..

95f7027b5496310e79a3224a1208b72f.jpg

Wolfpool

• Like 3

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Squat hold buddies!! I've been working on them for about a month now but I'm not sure I've seen much progress so far.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Keep at it. We'll eventually work our way up to being 3rd world awesome. Even with holding onto something, I usually only hold it for 20-30 seconds, but over the past 5 days I have probably averaged doing that 4-5 times a day. I figure 1 minute is an absolute minimum for me, but 2-5 is obviously better. I feel a little strain (stretch) in my sore back when I do it, so I haven't been pushing too hard yet. Later this month I may try for some longer holds (like watching an episode of Archer and spending more than 50% of the time in caveman squat).

• Like 4