Archon: Die Another Day

Archon

@Mr_Willes: Gotta get them gains! Keep up the awesome work.

I did my 25 Burpees last night, and my cardio is so much better now than it was 6-9 months ago. I did 15 in my first set (I was gasping for air at this point), took a 1 minute break and then did the last 10. The 25 bodyweight squats were so easy (now that I have been doing weighted squats). I did them all in 1 set, in slow motion, pausing at the bottom, and going all the way ass-to-grass. I felt like I kept loosening up and at the end, I was like... I think I could probably hold a caveman-squat at the bottom of my BW squats, and I was able to do that without holding on to anything in front of me (I did have to extend my arms out in front of me and my balance was a little precarious... I could only hold the deep squat for about 5 seconds before losing my balance).

Also... I am now in the Yak's Head.

Day 1 Summary:

Track on MFP

Yoga

Caveman Squat

25 BW squats + 25 Burpees

• Like 7

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

Also... I am now in the Yak's Head.

And it's wonderful to have you! Say goodbye to your productivity... and probably your Meatspace friends and family. 

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Haha no worries, I just kinda abruptly changed without much notice. Had to make a change for me so yeah.

Hope the back gets better soon! If I have learned anything from PT it's that sharp pain=bad stretching/fatigue pain=good. So a stretching sensation while working on your squats is good. If you want some more resources on improving your squat, I think GMB has good info. Check out their blog there's probably one on improving your caveman squat, or frog as they call it sometimes.

• Like 2

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

I was going to do "All-the-Things" last night, but then my ex gave me some delicious peanut butter "brownies" when I went over there to pick up a check. I ate half a brownie when I got home and my whole to do list went the way of the song by Afroman. "My room is still messed up, and I know why..."

Going to have to engage beast-mode tonight to catch up on my to do list and my body weight workouts. At least I was doing my caveman squats at work throughout the day.

Day 2 Summary:

Track on MFP

Yoga

Caveman Squats

BW Squats + Burpees (gotta do extra Wed to makeup)

• Like 3

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

I knew what they were when they were offered. I should clarify that it was my decision to forgo productivity... I was aware the non-chocolate non-peanut butter qualities of the brownies, but I definitely turned into a couch cushion last night. I think the last time I was turned into a couch cushion was college, like 8+ years ago.

I'll make up for yesterday's lack of productivity tonight.

• Like 5

@Mr_willes: I can in fact confirm that the lost productivity was made up for. I baked 7.5 lbs of chicken and worked out while dinner was cooking. Burpees 15-15-10-10 into BW Squats 30-20. Did the squats in slo-mo and definitely am feeling it in the glutes today. Had about a 1-minute break between the sets above. So I am caught up on the working out. My caveman squats are actually progressing well. I can feel my body loosen up when I am doing body weight squats and after holding caveman, and I am almost to a hands-free point already. Also checked a lot of adulting tasks off my to do list last night.

@whitewineandcathair: You should totally try out the caveman squats!

DAY 3 SUMMARY:

Track on MFP

Yoga

Caveman Squats

BW Squats & Burpees (25 for D2 & 25 for D3)

• Like 5

@Mr_Willes: Basically a deep squat & hold. Primary difference between the 1st world squat and the 3rd world squat (aka caveman squat, or frog/frogger) is you keep the weight on your heels. On someone else's thread I saw a link to this article: http://www.t-nation.com/training/third-world-squat and enjoyed the article. I figured, "Maybe this will help me improve the form on my squats. Even if not, it is some extra mobility/flexibility work that closely ties into a lot of my lifting."

Everyone can do a caveman squat when they are a kid. We lose flexibility and balance because we do not practice the caveman squat much anymore due to the high reproduction rate of chairs & couches (this is probably a scheme by chairs to slowly take over the world). I believe NF's Steve wrote an article about them in the past year too.

@Tank: Thanks! I ate 2 lbs of chicken for dinner last night and brought 1 lb with me for lunch today to go with my veggies.

• Like 3

Everyone can do a caveman squat when they are a kid. 

I've got a 5 year old that can prove you otherwise. 

His physical therapist makes him do these, but he can't do them.

But it looks like a great exercise!

• Like 2
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

Everyone can do a caveman squat when they are a kid. We lose flexibility and balance because we do not practice the caveman squat much anymore due to the high reproduction rate of chairs & couches (this is probably a scheme by chairs to slowly take over the world). I believe NF's Steve wrote an article about them in the past year too.

I feel like I'm at the point where I spent a good part of my day in a Grok Squat, but I've always enjoyed excellent hip mobility.

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

Track on MFP: 100%

Bend: 0%

3rd World Squat: M-F

BW Squats & Burpees: Did 25 a day (except Tue, but I did an extra 25 on Wed to make those up).

I am also proud to report that last night I did all 25 Burpees in one set. Disclaimer, I felt like I was going to die from lack of oxygen when I finished, but I did it. I normally am gasping for air by #15. But having a very discrete goal to shoot for of 25 made it easy to keep pushing forward. I was like, "Well... I will push myself hard and see how far I can get." I definitely was slowing down towards the end, but I did it!

• Like 9

last night I did all 25 Burpees in one set. Disclaimer, I felt like I was going to die from lack of oxygen when I finished, but I did it. I normally am gasping for air by #15. But having a very discrete goal to shoot for of 25 made it easy to keep pushing forward. 

Well done, mate! Great strategy, too!

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I am also proud to report that last night I did all 25 Burpees in one set.

Wow, amazing! That must have felt so good :)

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

Nice work! That is no easy feat.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

@Sarah Thanks! It worked well for me. I applied the same strategy last night to great success!

@Terah Thanks, it did feel great (after I caught my breath and made sure I didn't black out)

@Def Thanks!

@NTB Thanks. Yeah... I did a 1000 burpee challenge last year and never got over 15. My 25 were shaky, but I plan to keep doing them that way and pushing for slow cardio improvement that way.

@Willy I would have rated week 1 a fairly solid 70-80% overall. There was some room for improvement, but I did pretty good and am looking forward to kicking week two's ass! It has been a great start so far. Also, I love your spreadsheet and created a similar one for myself. I really like the color tracking you setup. I will post it up after week two as a mid challenge update.

So yesterday was a great day, with 2 small exceptions. I ate on the low side of my calorie goals, but close enough. I ate a lot of really great foods (macros were: CFP 161/30/191, 38% 16% 46%). I also crushed my burpees all in 1 set for a 2nd time. Did that right before I left the house to play some racquetball with my buddy. We had to wait 30 minutes for a court, but I could have sat there all night watching the guys who were playing before us. They were like... "pro" level good. I felt like a learned a lot and was super inspired just by watching them, and then my buddy and I played some of the best RB we'd ever played (partly b/c the 2 guys playing before us sat on the bench catching their breath and chatting for 10-15 minutes while we started playing).

So what was already a good day at that point had an even greater end. So my 2 "exceptions" for why it wasn't a perfect day... Reason 1: I did not do any yoga (it was already getting to be after 10:30 when I got home, so bed time ish). Reason 2: I ended up staying up until 3am and only getting 4 hours of sleep before I had to get up for work. But it was great! I had exchanged a few emails with a girl I'd met recently. Last night started chatting via IM and that went on for 3+ hours. And I got a date for tonight! (That is a totally worthwhile trade off for skipping half of my evening's sleep). But I will have to be more mindful of my bedtimes going forward.

So excited!

• Like 6