Archon: Die Another Day

Archon

So the date went super well on Tuesday night. There was a 2nd date on Thursday. Dates 3 & 4 will be tonight & tomorrow. So it is going well. My average hours of sleep per night has dropped from a little above 8 to a little below 6. I am a chatty person, and it is really rare to meet someone chattier, so there has probably been hundreds and hundreds of pages of chats exchanged via texting in the past week.

WEEK 2 UPDATE:

Week one was on the low side of medium, week two was on the higher side of medium (not quite excellent, but good). I will post up a pretty chart here later tonight (can't do it at work). I have been using the same format to track my challenges in a spreadsheet for the past 3.5 challenges here, but I really like my buddy Mr_Willes, and have copied his formatting (I really like the shading idea he incorporated).

Spreadsheet:

gallery_39854_2022_51678.png

I am also super happy to report that I am finally over my weight-loss-plateau and back in-it-to-win-it. Over the past week or two, my weight has started dropping again. There are a couple factors probably at play: I stopped "heavy lifting" (b/c back injury), but I started adding in a short daily body weight cardio routine (just 25 burpees and 25 slow-motion body weight ass-to-grass squats), but probably significantly because I started tracking my food intake on MyFitness Pal.

Also... while not "great", I am happy to report that I did get in a little bit of yoga last week (after going through a several week long dry spell where I just couldn't find the motivation to get back into it). I'll keep y'all posted on how week 3 goes. My goals for week 3 are: be a little more mindful about the amount of sleep I am getting, continue eating well, and incorporate more yoga.

I consulted with a close buddy of mine who is a doctor regarding my back injury. Discussed how it happened, what I have been doing so far, etc. He advised that I take at least one more week, if not two, off from weight lifting (some rubbish about back injuries being serious and wanting to make sure it was fully healed). I jest about the "rubbish"... it was wise advise and I plan to heed it (it is not nearly as bad now, but I can still feel some tension, tightness, and soreness in my lower back). I am thinking I may ride out the rest of this challenge in "recovery" mode. We'll see. (My lifting buddy has not gone to the gym once without me since I have stopped... definitely the 'dependent' type, and he was super sad to hear that I had decided not to lift this week... but I got to do what's best for me. Trying to pick the "healthiest" options.)

Food stats:

Now that I have 3 weeks of tracking, I can actually start to do some valuable analysis! Over 27 days my averages have been...

Calories: 2194

Carbs: 176g (36%)

Fat: 79g (35%)

Protein: 144g (30%)

Spreadsheet:

gallery_39854_2022_66913.png

So, it would not hurt to boost my average protein intake a little (especially once I get back into lifting all of the heavy things again)... but I think part of the reason I was at a weight loss plateau was that I was trying to eat closer to 200-240g of protein a day and did not do enough adjusting to reduce my carb & fat intake. For my challenge, I set my protein goal to being 50% my body weight in pounds in grams (so if I weight ~230 lbs, I should be eating a minimum of 115g of protein) for my "Adequate" category, and my "Good" category is eating 75% (170g). Oddly enough, my "Average" protein has fallen somewhere between my minimum Adequate and minimum Good range... so right in the middle of Adequate.

All in all, I am happy with what I am doing right now. It is "boring" at times... but "boring" works. For a while I was trying to be more "exciting" (lifting all the heavy weights, eating all the protein and building all the muscle). I will get back to that, but I also like that I am back in a "cut" cycle instead of just maintaining where I am at.

• Like 5

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

WARNING: Incoming Feels (good feels)

Also... apologies for losing track of everyone for the past week plus. I was spending an hour or two a day keeping up with like, 20 people's threads (reading all posts and responding once every few days to each). Over the past week, this girl I am interested in has been taking up probably closer to 4-6 hours of my time. I love this phase of the relationship, but I have fallen behind on keeping up with my NF buddies. Things will probably calm down at some point in the future, but I will probably slightly less active here now than I had been for the past 2 challenges, since less free time. Being super active here helped me get a lot of things together in my life and build some really good habits and lay the ground work for continuous self improvement, and I wanted to take this moment to thank all my friends and supporters here who have been with me up to this point. I have learned tons from all of you guys, you have been there for me when I needed a pick-me-up or a swift kick-in-the-ass, but also with some great inspiration and leveraging ideas off how you all have been improving your own lives.

Steve has said in his articles that "You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time around" and for the past several months, the NF community (you guys) have been 1 of my 5, and that has challenged me to become a better version of myself.

So I just wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all of you for the impact you have had on my life!

• Like 8

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

Yeah for breaking through he weight loss plateau! 

just 25 burpees

LOL

WARNING: Incoming Feels (good feels)

Also... apologies for losing track of everyone for the past week plus. I was spending an hour or two a day keeping up with like, 20 people's threads (reading all posts and responding once every few days to each). Over the past week, this girl I am interested in has been taking up probably closer to 4-6 hours of my time. I love this phase of the relationship, but I have fallen behind on keeping up with my NF buddies. Things will probably calm down at some point in the future, but I will probably slightly less active here now than I had been for the past 2 challenges, since less free time. Being super active here helped me get a lot of things together in my life and build some really good habits and lay the ground work for continuous self improvement, and I wanted to take this moment to thank all my friends and supporters here who have been with me up to this point. I have learned tons from all of you guys, you have been there for me when I needed a pick-me-up or a swift kick-in-the-ass, but also with some great inspiration and leveraging ideas off how you all have been improving your own lives.

Steve has said in his articles that "You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time around" and for the past several months, the NF community (you guys) have been 1 of my 5, and that has challenged me to become a better version of myself.

So I just wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to all of you for the impact you have had on my life!

Happy for you! Enjoy the feels <4

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

Added 2 spreadsheets (in blue above), 6 posts ago :)

Those are some sexy spreadsheets

• Like 1
Spoiler

That looks resembling, but i see your spreadsheet-fu is way more advanced than mine ;)

Don't spoiler them, be proud!!!

I usually spoil the pictures I post b/c they are so huge...

I edited out the spoilers (at your request / advice). Thanks for helping me level up my spreadsheet game Mr_Willes! (That sheet should look HELLA familiar to you ;) )

(Also, you get why I was admiring your KCAL & Protein "standard deviation"? lol)

• Like 1

(Also, you get why I was admiring your KCAL & Protein "standard deviation"? lol)

Yeah, it takes some dedication and a fair amount of stubbornness and it will always be a guessing game (did i eat exactly that amount, is MFP right on the amount of macros etc etc). I'm more proud on the fact that i seem to be around 1800 KCAL and my weight is steadily going down a little faster than i set out to be, but as i said it's a guessing game. So for me i'm more proud on all the mechanics coming together to slowly lower my weight.

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

I totally get the grand scheme of things. I never wanted to "count calories", but it has given me a much better understanding and increased mindfulness. As a result, even though I have not been doing my 3/wk weight lifting sessions for over 2 weeks, I am finally over the weight loss plateau, and even though there is a LARGE standard deviation in the amount of KCals & Protein I eat (I would like to tighten that a little, but am happy with my averages)...

I am happy all the mechanics are coming together too, and the weight continues to go down! Yay. Also, I beasted through a double-workout this morning (50&50 instead of 25&25), doing it in 2 sets of 25.

• Like 4

Week 3 was okay. On par with week 2. Not as great as week 1. But I am still doing well. I will post up my colorful spreadsheet with the full challenge review after this week.

I just have to say... I am not a big fan of the new forum layout. Maybe I just don't like change.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Archon said:

Maybe I just don't like change.

You and every other nerd ;)

I must say, it's growing on me 

• Like 2
Spoiler

First off, I am so excited we are getting week 0 back. I hope that stays. I could use a week 0. This morning I was like, "Oh man... I have to wrap up this last challenge and figure out what the heck I am going to do for the next few weeks? #overwhelmed... And then I got on and saw we have a week 0 (I am so out of the loop...)

News... So last week Friday I tried going to the gym and weight lifting with my buddy. I did squats and overhead press, and only at about 75% of my previous working weight. But that was too much. I had lower back pain all weekend (I thought I was close to fully healed). So I am taking more time off from weight lifting and going to continue the body weight workouts into next challenge still.

In other news, things are still going well with my new girl friend. Definitely have invested a lot of time into that relationship over the past few weeks. It has been great.

Lastly, this past weekend, my best friend Justin had organized a surprise birthday party for me on Saturday with all my friends and family there. It was a huge success. I was not expecting it at all. And then I hung out with my friends and partied like I was 20. Sunday was rough... but I got up when my alarm went off at 6am and dragged my zombie-like a$$ through the day. I was so hung over, that I am still not 100% this morning. I didn't get sick, but I toed that line.

So today is all about water. And this week is all about recovery for my back. And next challenge will be all about rebuilding that core strength with body weight work.

On a side note. As a result of my cave-man squat challenge from this past challenge, I am so much more flexible in the ankles and hips. I can hold the caveman position for 30-60 seconds at a time now. I had been doing my bodyweight squats a$$-2-gra$$ all last challenge, and that too really helped. So last Friday when I was lifting in the gym, I did my weighted squats 100% full range-of-motion. Doing them a$$-2-gra$$ felt great, but it was a lot harder. Part of my struggle may have been because of having several weeks off, but also going full range of motion. I felt closer to failing on my 5 sets of 185# Friday than I had been when I was doing 5x5 @225# (with okay-ish form / depth) or 5x5 @255# with crap form.

The plan is definitely to keep the full depth form. But I will have to wait a while longer on the heavy lifting and just focus more in the next few weeks on breaking a sweat.

One further side note... I had been stuck for several months at a weight loss plateau at right around 240 lbs. This past challenge, I was finally seeing some success at a slow decline in weight (about 1 pound a week). Last week Monday morning I was at 233 for my weigh in. This morning I had jumped all the way up to 243. I know I had made some bad decisions and that I am also backed up, but it was really unexpected and a little discouraging.

Also, in prep for doing the "weight lifting" on Friday, I backed off on my Burpees & BW squats last week. I will stay backed off for week 0 here. And then I got to decide what I want to do for next challenge. For the first 3 weeks of last challenge I maintained an average of 25 a day Burpees & Squats. So 525 each over the challenge (woot).

I will do my official challenge summary later, this was just an update on all the things. Hope everyone else finished strong and is doing well!

• Like 7

Happy Belated Birthday, Archon!

Hope the deep squats are fun and helpful, it's great that your hard work's paid off with the flexibility, and enjoy all the water today!

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Awesome work on those squats! I still can't hold them without support, so your progress is encouraging. :) 

Congratulations on the new girlfriend too! That's awesome. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

large.56f9332806b68_Week4update.PNG.a7ae

Goal 1 – Track eating on MFP,. Based on %. Possible Reward: 2 Wisdom

Almost 100%, +2.00 Wis

Goal 2 – Undo the damage, a little bit of yoga every day. Possible Reward: 4 Dex

Only did once, +0.25 Dex

Goal 3 – Flexibility in the Hips like Halle. 1 minute a day doing caveman squats. Possible Reward: 4 Dexterity

Did about 80%, +3.00 Dex (I feel like I gained that much flexibility when I did the weight squats that one time on 3/25. Unfortunately by back is still too injured to                 handle the weighted squats (even after >4 weeks rest now). Granted, “rest” wasn’t “bed rest”…)

Goal 4 – Rebuild the Confidence. Do 25 Burpees & BW squats a day until resuming weight lifting. Possible Reward: 3 STA, 2 STR

I maintained a 25/25 average for the first 3 weeks. Week 4 I took “off” in anticipation for my lifting that Friday. My body kindly said “no” to the lifting. So 75%. +1.50 Str                 & +2.25 Sta

I calculated my weighted average for this challenge to be about a 61%. Not bad, but not excellent.

Knowing what is going on with my back… I think my next challenge will look really similar to this one. However… as an incentive to yoga more, I might throw some crazy rewards at that goal.

• Like 3